• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeels

I booked 2 nights at the LV Hotel (where EVO was held) for like 89 a night. Rio is too expensive, and I'll have a car so getting there and back will be easy. Las Vegas has free valet parking at every hotel, too (they want you to gamble so they do what they can to get you in the doors), so won't have to worry about scrambling for parking. If you live in SoCal and want to carpool, let me know - I can hold 3 other people. I just ask for people to chip in on gas (on fill up each way, roughly 40-45 bucks each fill up).

Right now, I'm just waiting on info for press tickets. I passed up using my code to get tickets earlier since press tickets will be free, so as soon as Square Enix confirms I get a press badge, I'm all good. Gonna bring my PC to play at night, too, just in case.

As for the meetup, Friday is technically "registration day" according to the site. I'd suggest maybe Friday night being the meetup unless there are actual events happening then.

Ill be flying in from Houston so I dont have a travel concern, just a hotel concern. These Vegas hotels are super pricey. :( and ya Friday sounds the best then. Didnt know Friday was just registration. So the actual event is just Saturday?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just played the trial on PC. The first MMO I played. Everyone's so damn nice compared to League of Legends. Is the community in normally XIV like this? And the game is beautiful! I think I might buy the game/sub.

Considering MOBAs tend to be the most toxic communities, everything is nicer than that.

sep

Just played the trial on PC. The first MMO I played. Everyone's so damn nice compared to League of Legends. Is the community in normally XIV like this? And the game is beautiful! I think I might buy the game/sub.

It is true.
Yesterday I was doing a dungeon and there was a not so brief cinematic before the last boss. It was the first time I was there so I decided to watch it and when I came back the boss fight already started with me stuck outside. I apologized in chat but then another player says he apologize and it was his fault to run to the boss instead of waiting me.

Fellow CNJ can you help me out? I'm planning on taking my CNJ to 50 solely through dungeons and wanted some tips on how best to go about it. To give you an idea of my experience I have a SCH50 and both tanks 50, endgame exp'd.

As for taking my 34CNJ to 50, I wanna know when should I be dpsing, if at all? Any BiS items that I should grab via AH or my Twin Adder seals? Best food? Any other tips?

Thanks!

Valor

Fellow CNJ can you help me out? I'm planning on taking my CNJ to 50 solely through dungeons and wanted some tips on how best to go about it. To give you an idea of my experience I have a SCH50 and both tanks 50, endgame exp'd.

As for taking my 34CNJ to 50, I wanna know when should I be dpsing, if at all? Any BiS items that I should grab via AH or my Twin Adder seals? Best food? Any other tips?

Thanks!

I'm just finishing up getting my WHM to 50 shortly. The amount and frequency of your dpsing is likely going to be equivalent to your tank's gear level. If they are bad, prepare to be spamming cure on them constantly. If you are able to use regen in the dungeon, use it after the enemies are pulled, since pre-emptive regen can pull aggro if it ticks before the enemies are picked up by the tank.

Gear wise you can theoretically use full Battlemage until AF. Just need on any other gear you see dropped between Battlemage and AF and adjust accordingly. BiS doesn't matter until endgame anyway, plus using food in dungeons is wholly unnecessary from my experience. I mean, you're just leveling a class the same way you leveled your previous ones. No need to formulate a game plan, just go do it.

Wow I misread your post, missed the less part entirely. It only seems like less of a hassle before you realize you have to craft far more of the item, and while many mats can be bought there are a few that can't and need to be crafted yourself as an extra step (hello walnut bread). It's really time consuming to keep a good stock of food for progression raiding, even more so if you are making stuff for other people. I'd much prefer the one and done system gear has. And the difficulty of obtaining the mats varies, some use 1star gathering, some 2star, and one does use an old phil mat (cooking sherry).

Maybe if you meant "less expensive" per craft but it takes more time and a lot more inventory space so I can't see it as anything less than a bigger hassle. They actually backtracked on this with the 3star food as it all requires myth items too like other 3star crafts, another reason no one uses them.
Sorry but your gripe isn't even a problem at all to me. Yeah it's more items but most of them are easy to get and crafting items for it are so easy. Sorry I just don't see it as a problem

iammeiam

The "Gary" in the name throws me off.

I'd honestly never even noticed that before; maybe I should just accept fate and buy a spring dress outfit.

This is best site I've found. It's in Japanese but there is a drop down in top right to turn the basic site English. Comments will still be in Japanese but they are easy to follow if you remember 獲得 is gathering, and rest you can google translate more or less if you are not sure on something.

Bookmarked, thanks!

I'm just finishing up getting my WHM to 50 shortly. The amount and frequency of your dpsing is likely going to be equivalent to your tank's gear level. If they are bad, prepare to be spamming cure on them constantly. If you are able to use regen in the dungeon, use it after the enemies are pulled, since pre-emptive regen can pull aggro if it ticks before the enemies are picked up by the tank.

Gear wise you can theoretically use full Battlemage until AF. Just need on any other gear you see dropped between Battlemage and AF and adjust accordingly. BiS doesn't matter until endgame anyway, plus using food in dungeons is wholly unnecessary from my experience. I mean, you're just leveling a class the same way you leveled your previous ones. No need to formulate a game plan, just go do it.

I would use the cheapest vendor food available though, for the 3% EXP buff. I think oranges are like 10gil.

plake

Thanks!

Good advice by Valor above. Only DPS when you feel comfortable doing so as your main priority is keeping everyone alive.

But do use food. Focus on MND/PIE/DET/VIT in that order. Also food gives 3% exp bonus. Worth it in the long run.

khaaan

I'm in the same boat and sometimes the nice-ness can feel kinda awkward. One guy crafted me a set of new gear because he saw I was wearing low level equipment. He took me all the way to his FC club house or something to do it and my character isn't even a floozy looking lady. He insisted that the equipment doesn't cost much (which I guess it didn't since I was level 9 at the time while he was 50) and that he was levling up something or other in the process. Seemed like a nice enough guy though, would totes play with him.

Just tried Frontline for the first time and damnit what a mess lol. So basically even though my Alliance loses we still get Wolve Mark reward?

I just started playing on PS4. Couldn't create a new character on Leviathan or Ultros so I went with Lamia. Gonna fumble around for awhile and see if it gets its hooks in.

studyguy

I just started playing on PS4. Couldn't create a new character on Leviathan or Ultros so I went with Lamia. Gonna fumble around for awhile and see if it gets its hooks in.

If you can't make a character on a certain server, just log in at some crazy late time and you'll get in. Like Excalibur is always open
From 2AM PST to 6AM PST

@plake, crazygambit, Valor

Thanks guys but I still have more questions but first I'll mention that I'll be exp. grinding with my friend that is a very good tank. As for questions, here goes:

• Should Cure2 be avoided until I get a free proc on it?
  • Is it a good idea to utilize Repose regularly on trash mobs or wasted mp?
  • Once I get Graniteskin, should I be spamming Stoneskin?
  • When is the best time to cast Regen to avoid its threat build?
  • Any essential WHM macros?

plake

Thanks guys but I still have more questions but first I'll mention that I'll be exp. grinding with my friend that is a very good tank. As for questions, here goes:

* Spam Cure (with Regen up) and only use Cure 2 when you get a proc or when it's needed (i.e. many mobs on tank or hard hitting mobs)
* Usually, no. Esp not when you have a MRD/WAR tank (as overpower does dmg = wakes them up). Most tanks "juggle" the mobs by hitting them at different times. But Repose has its uses. Try it and see how the tank does. If they aren't woken up it can be a good help.
* Spamming no, but try to keep it up on yourself and any mages in the party. It's not very mp efficient though so be careful about using it as a Cure replacement. Personally i try to keep it up on all party members but the tank if possible.
* As soon as the tank has established hate on the mob/mobs, cast Regen. Keep it up during battle and it will help you a LOT.
* Not really essential, but I have macroed /ac Aero <tt> so I can cast Aero on the tanks target without having to select the mob manually. Same goes for Virus, Stone etc.

[*]Is it a good idea to utilize Repose regularly on trash mobs or wasted mp?

I play WAR exclusively so I can't help you much for the other healer stuff. On early dungeons when I was undergeared having the healer sleep stuff was awesome. However make sure to tell the tank BEFORE the first pull and that you'll be doing it throughout the dungeon so he stops using overpower. Once the tank is better geared and DPS get their AoE attacks, it's much less useful, since it'll slow down the run. For Stone Vigil NM it can be useful if the tank pulls more than 3 mobs by accident, since they're strong enough to wipe you.

Edit: In other news, I just got my Bravura Animus, really enjoying the glow. Did my first 2 alexandrite maps and they were super easy. Did the 2 ogres one and it was super easy, even if you stand on the AoE. They don't hit very hard at all (I was all scared using defiance at first, lol). The second one was the morbol that bounds you. I'm guessing if you get hit by that it could turn ugly, but the attacks were spaced out well above the cooldown of my stun attack so it was super easy as well. I've heard here that some of the maps are hard and it would suck to lose an alexandrite by dying on one given the cost, but so far I'm thinking WAR is pretty OP for solo content (especially with a chocobo to speed up the DPS).

I'm thinking I'll be done in a week, 2 tops with my Novus*

lol, of course not. It's gonna take me months to make the money for the materia, considering I decided to go the master crafter route. Shit be expensive.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Switched to SCH finally, and it's pretty fun so far. Should I keep Eos on obey like I did with Garuda, or is she better off on autopilot?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eos on Obey, Selene on auto, unless there's a DPS check somewhere, and then you put her on Obey.

plake

I play WAR exclusively so I can't help you much for the other healer stuff. On early dungeons when I was undergeared having the healer sleep stuff was awesome. However make sure to tell the tank BEFORE the first pull and that you'll be doing it throughout the dungeon so he stops using overpower. Once the tank is better geared and DPS get their AoE attacks, it's much less useful, since it'll slow down the run. For Stone Vigil NM it can be useful if the tank pulls more than 3 mobs by accident, since they're strong enough to wipe you.

Edit: In other news, I just got my Bravura Animus, really enjoying the glow. Did my first 2 alexandrite maps and they were super easy. Did the 2 ogres one and it was super easy, even if you stand on the AoE. They don't hit very hard at all (I was all scared using defiance at first, lol). The second one was the morbol that bounds you. I'm guessing if you get hit by that it could turn ugly, but the attacks were spaced out well above the cooldown of my stun attack so it was super easy as well. I've heard here that some of the maps are hard and it would suck to lose an alexandrite by dying on one given the cost, but so far I'm thinking WAR is pretty OP for solo content (especially with a chocobo to speed up the DPS).

I'm thinking I'll be done in a week, 2 tops with my Novus*

lol, of course not. It's gonna take me months to make the money for the materia, considering I decided to go the master crafter route. Shit be expensive.

Nice. Just watch the maps with the bombs. They can wipe a party easily :3 I always suggest going with someone who can swift cast raise if need be.

Nice. Just watch the maps with the bombs. They can wipe a party easily :3 I always suggest going with someone who can swift cast raise if need be.

I'd be nice to somehow know before hand what you'll get. Otherwise it's hard to justify the time in getting a party, for some super easy monster.

Do the other party members get anything? If not, that'll make it even harder.

I'd be nice to somehow know before hand what you'll get. Otherwise it's hard to justify the time in getting a party, for some super easy monster.

Do the other party members get anything? If not, that'll make it even harder.

A little money, not much but enough to cover teleport fees easily.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The satisfaction of helping a friend.

What more do you need?

WolvenOne

Okay, looks like my going to Fan Fest is now a certainty. Any advice on hotels and such is more than welcome, as I've never actually visited Vegas before.

Also, just to make things a bit more game centric.

Who here eventually wants to fight Alexander in this game? If so, I really do hope he resembles the FFIX incarnation, in terms of size and those massive angel wings. XD

WolvenOne

You're going to have a lot of fun with the level 50 stuff then because it doesn't change.

DPS queue's are so long. :/

Start leveling Marauder/Warrior then. When tanking, queues are hecka short, and if you switch to DPS accessories and use your CD's properly you can essentially be 3/4ths a DPS as well.

(Context: As a War my DPS ranges from 200 to 270dps, depending on how Crit RNG rolls when I fire off my CD's. That's also with a weapon that's pretty much designed for Main Tank duties, ie, Accuracy/Parry.)

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Is there a certain range Eos needs to be or is there a certain percentage that a player's health needs to drop before Eos casts Embrace while on obey? I've been noticing she doesn't always cast it in contrast to when on autopilot where she spams the spell (and everything else >_<). Can't quite figure out the rhyme and reason to how she uses Embrace on obey.

Also, healing really brings into focus all the mistakes people make in a dungeon. It wasn't so bad at low levels, but just did Amdapour Keep and wow did the dps like stepping in all the things, running ahead, and so forth. Still, SCH healing is proving to be pretty neat. =)

If there are any master Dragoons here, what stats should I be prioritizing? My accuracy is around 525, crit is around 370 and my determination is like 274ish. I can't quite recall my skill speed stats. Just wondering how I should move my stats around, as I'm ilvl 96 at the moment and currently doing T6.

Valor

1. *shrug* I use it if I absolutely need to and I'm terrible at looking for it to proc, which is sad since I main bard, and all we do is wait for procs.

2. Basically what plake said. It's terrible with MRD/WAR since Overpower/Steel Cyclone is where the threat is at. Plus they're made to hold all of the enemies at once. If your tank is pretty iffy, then try and sleep a mob, I suppose. People used to macro Fluid Aura + Repose if an enemy targets you, so that can be useful. In general, sleep isn't super necessary if the rest of the party does their job.

3. Yes and no. SS eats up mp like crazy. Sadly, I leveled SCH first so I'm pretty used to relying heavily on Adloquium to make my life easy. Stoneskin is not Adlo. I learned that very quickly. That said, Stoneskin + Divine Seal Regen is crazy good from my experience in dungeons and it allows you to dps without feeling your tank is going to explode.

4. Pretty much any time after the battle starts, unless you're coming to an add phase or something where the adds are actually dangerous. There aren't many of these in the basic dungeons, so.

5. No clue. I don't think any macros are necessarily essential.

I've heard here that some of the maps are hard and it would suck to lose an alexandrite by dying on one given the cost, but so far I'm thinking WAR is pretty OP for solo content (especially with a chocobo to speed up the DPS).

I remember doing the Marlboro one for one of my Alex maps as WAR, and it was a breeze. Not so much on my Bard. No stun = Bad Breath all day. Thank you rank 10 healer chocobro. IMO the hardest one is the Marlboro, but that's just me. The three ziz one caused me to time out because of petrification, so be sure to always kill that one first. I think it was the Woad Back? I can't remember.

Taruranto

Is there a certain range Eos needs to be or is there a certain percentage that a player's health needs to drop before Eos casts Embrace while on obey? I've been noticing she doesn't always cast it in contrast to when on autopilot where she spams the spell (and everything else >_<). Can't quite figure out the rhyme and reason to how she uses Embrace on obey.

Also, healing really brings into focus all the mistakes people make in a dungeon. It wasn't so bad at low levels, but just did Amdapour Keep and wow did the dps like stepping in all the things, running ahead, and so forth. Still, SCH healing is proving to be pretty neat. =)

Eos will still embrace automatically when in Obey (when someone drops around 80% HP), the only difference is that she won't waste Regen or Illumination and only use them when you tell her to. The only difference when in Obey regarding Embrace is that you can ALSO control her heals manually. The main reason to have her in Obey is that so you can place the "Embrace" icon on your hot-bar (or Key-bind it I guess) near Psysick and Adlo and literally spam Embrace.

If she seems more active it's because she spams Illumination and Covenant as soon the battle starts.

WolvenOne

If there are any master Dragoons here, what stats should I be prioritizing? My accuracy is around 525, crit is around 370 and my determination is like 274ish. I can't quite recall my skill speed stats. Just wondering how I should move my stats around, as I'm ilvl 96 at the moment and currently doing T6.

Not a master Dragoon, more a dabbler. (Though I'm T8 capable as a DRG, so, there's that I guess.)

Your accuracy is higher than where it needs to be, and your determination could be a bit higher. For DRG's I place the secondary DPS stats in roughly this order, Determination, Crit, Skill-Speed. I should note that eventually skill-speed will outweigh crit, but right now you need to stack too much SS for it to be a practical stat.

Any accuracy over the T9 cap is going to go to waste, so you might as well swap items around to try to get more determination. Just keep in mind, Strength, and Weapon Damage, trump Determination.

Not a master Dragoon, more a dabbler. (Though I'm T8 capable as a DRG, so, there's that I guess.)

Your accuracy is higher than where it needs to be, and your determination could be a bit higher. For DRG's I place the secondary DPS stats in roughly this order, Determination, Crit, Skill-Speed. I should note that eventually skill-speed will outweigh crit, but right now you need to stack too much SS for it to be a practical stat.

Any accuracy over the T9 cap is going to go to waste, so you might as well swap items around to try to get more determination. Just keep in mind, Strength, and Weapon Damage, trump Determination.

Thank you so much, Wolven. I'll definitely try to switch gear around where I can. My determination definitely felt a bit low, but it's good to have confirmation. Now to just 'get gud' at my class and I'll be set :3

Ill be flying in from Houston so I dont have a travel concern, just a hotel concern. These Vegas hotels are super pricey. :( and ya Friday sounds the best then. Didnt know Friday was just registration. So the actual event is just Saturday?

It's Saturday and Sunday.

I booked my room at the Excalibur last week, they were going for $94 a night. I'll let someone else tell the obvious joke about me staying at the Excalibur with my character name.

If you stay near the center Strip, the hotels are more expensive. Towards the north and south ends of the Strip they get more reasonable.

Start leveling Marauder/Warrior then. When tanking, queues are hecka short, and if you switch to DPS accessories and use your CD's properly you can essentially be 3/4ths a DPS as well.

(Context: As a War my DPS ranges from 200 to 270dps, depending on how Crit RNG rolls when I fire off my CD's. That's also with a weapon that's pretty much designed for Main Tank duties, ie, Accuracy/Parry.)

I want to play Arcanist though. :p

I'm planning on going Scholar so I'll have to stick it out till 30 I guess.

WolvenOne

It's Saturday and Sunday.

I booked my room at the Excalibur last week, they were going for $94 a night. I'll let someone else tell the obvious joke about me staying at the Excalibur with my character name.

If you stay near the center Strip, the hotels are more expensive. Towards the north and south ends of the Strip they get more reasonable.

Being that I can't drive, I may end up having to stay in a more expensive hotel closer to the Rio, despite the fact that it'll make wallet chan cry. T_T;;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom