• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Because it pretty much doesn't bring anything more to you, while punishing between 10 and 100 other people ? ( and given the hunt fights it's really not like fighting them with a small group make them that much more of an interesting fight ).

Punishing 10 to 100 people for...what? I wasn't aware those 10 to 100 people had their names on Mob X.

I'm all for more people getting credit on a mob but resetting a mob at like sub 50% HP equally sours the experience for those already there, IMO. When I miss a mob by seconds, be it S or A rank, I don't get upset or angry in shout chat because someone "pulled early" or no one bothered to reset it for poor me.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Punishing 10 to 100 people for...what? I wasn't aware those 10 to 100 people had their names on Mob X.

I'm all for more people getting credit on a mob but resetting a mob at like sub 50% HP equally sours the experience for those already there, IMO. When I miss a mob by seconds, be it S or A rank, I don't get upset or angry in shout chat because someone "pulled early" or no one bothered to reset it for poor me.

I do, always wait for Scything Moon.

Reknoc

but what if i wanna just kill a hunt with pals if we come across it. why i gotta wait for the server to get there

Sounds like you want to enjoy the content in a fun more organically as intended method instead of cynically boiling it down just to extract the rewards. How dare you. Don't you realise you owe everyone everything on the server.

Ken

Oh yeah not sure if this was posted yet.

live letter summary

On another note, I've been spending a lot of time in Frontline and I had to apologize to the Scenario Team because I haven't done any of the main scenario quests yet. I had play through them over and over while they were in-development, as well as check the cutscenes, but I didn't really have the chance to test 72-player matches in Frontline, so I've been totally immersed in it. My number of matches fought is already in the triple digits, and you can be sure I'm in there fighting whenever I have time to spare.

he must be in the immortal flames /cry

iee43LVT1VAns.png

elyetis

You can pretty much do anything in any game with that kind of reasoning.
I didn't say it was their, or that they specificly deserved it.
I said it punish them ( they don't get the reward ), while not bringing you anything ( or close to ), it make you save -very little- time, and usually won't make you have a bigger reward. ( maybe exception for B ? )

It's pretty muck like someone who would need an item in a dungeon just for the sake of throwing it, other people who choose need sure had an equal chance of getting it, so it's fair and all. But it would still be about being an ass for no other reason than being an ass.

And yes I very much understand why people would like the content to be more about simply hunting by yourself ( and your group ), but then :
1/ those people might want to stop using the result of the rest of the server cooperation ( timer, LS, shout) to happen to come across it those hunt. Yeah ...yeah.... people here are gonna tell me they are the exception to the rule.
2/ there is an easy choice of actually making feedback to the dev so that the content actually become balanced in a way where a group doing hunt, doesn't impact in a bad way another group doing hunt ( phasing seem like the easy way, but probably not the only way ).
Sounds like you want to enjoy the content in a fun more organically as intended method instead of cynically boiling it down just to extract the rewards. How dare you. Don't you realise you owe everyone everything on the server.
Yeah I'm sure people who don't wait for hunt, are people who like to have fun in an organinically intended method, definitly the kind of people who will discover every content by themselves without guide, and will appreciate if they end up in group discovering the content by themself even if it mean many wipes, etc.. who cares about wasted time, reward, etc..
I'm definitly sure that's the way most of thoses players work, sure.

Reknoc

Yeah I'm sure people who don't wait for hunt, are people who like to have fun in an organinically intended method, definitly the kind of people who will discover every content by themselves without guide, and will appreciate if they end up in group discovering the content by themself even if it mean many wipes, etc.. who cares about wasted time, reward, etc..
I'm definitly sure that's the way most of thoses players work, sure.

Like the guy I quoted? I'm not denying there are people who are doing it just to be jerks, people are awful and ruin everything. The weird mentality hunts have caused means I'm not surprised people are being especially jerky towards it and I'm not really sympathetic about it. They've made their bed and now they're sleeping in it.

Tiops

Should I keep Flashing mobs as a Paladin at level 50 or Circle of Scorn is enough? I'm having problems in the level 50 dungeons, mostly because my item level is low and there's always a very high leveled DPS that gets all the enmity, but also because I don't know how to use the complete PLD skillset.

Any tips? I can't find a decent guide online.

Claymore

Should I keep Flashing mobs as a Paladin at level 50 or Circle of Scorn is enough? I'm having problems in the level 50 dungeons, mostly because my item level is low and there's always a very high leveled DPS that gets all the enmity, but also because I don't know how to use the complete PLD skillset.

Any tips? I can't find a decent guide online.

You need to use Shield Lob, Circle of Scorn, Spirits Within and Flash. After the pull just flash a few times.

If your party is all AOE (for example with BRD and BLM) you continue flashing and using Riot Blade combo for MP.

When dps is single targeting, mark the mob they need to focus on. Then Flash once or twice and start getting the Halone combo in asap. You should cycle through the mobs and hit them all with Halone. You could also do Fast Blade and Savage Blade on one mob, and Halone on another.

Try not to forget about the other mobs than the marked one, the healer can pull mobs off you if you're not paying attention. Keep an eye on the party list, that way you can see when a party member is creeping up on emnity.

Also pop Flight or Fight before pulling for some extra dmg and thus emnity. Try to experiment and find your own rythym.

Tiops

You need to use Shield Lob, Circle of Scorn, Spirits Within and Flash. After the pull just flash a few times.

If your party is all AOE (for example with BRD and BLM) you continue flashing and using Riot Blade combo for MP.

When dps is single targeting, mark the mob they need to focus on. Then Flash once or twice and start getting the Halone combo in asap. You should cycle through the mobs and hit them all with Halone. You could also do Fast Blade and Savage Blade on one mob, and Halone on another.

Try not to forget about the other mobs than the marked one, the healer can pull mobs off you if you're not paying attention. Keep an eye on the party list, that way you can see when a party member is creeping up on emnity.

Also pop Flight or Fight before pulling for some extra dmg and thus emnity. Try to experiment and find your own rythym.
What's the importance of Spirits Within during the pull?

And thanks for the help!

Claymore

Spirits Within does decent dmg and generates emnity, generally it should be used on your main target. Since its off GCD you should keep this skill on cooldown, just as Circle of Scorn.

Tiops

Didn't know it was good for generating enmity, I just used it randomly during the fight.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them tonight.

Claymore

Didn't know it was good for generating enmity, I just used it randomly during the fight.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them tonight.
Np! During the fight you can weave it in during your Halone combo. Same with Circle of Scorn. Try to use them as much as possible and keep then on cooldown.

I only save them when the pull is almost done and there is like only one mob left, or they are all at very low health. That way you can save Circle of Scorn and Spirits Within for your next pull.

CLBridges

Finally joined the GAF FC on Ultros and my WHM is up to lvl 45. Character name is Esther Deleon, give me a wave if you happen to see me on your travels.

Progressing through the story again, I totally forgot how much difficulty Garuda story mode can give new players. The first time I went in, we wiped for the entirety of the session, up until abandon. Kept explaining the phases and placement for tank, but we couldn't get in sync enough to complete.

The next queue, we wiped once and then completed it. I figure I'll probably reach 50 when I log later on today. On another note, I've taken up Mining and really enjoy it! Think I've made 100k gil or so in the last couple days off shards alone. Pretty sweet!

Reknoc

Wait. Are they actually doing this or am I misreading? If they add a card game like triple triad with card collecting and allow you to play other players, my life is over.

No mention of PvP as far as I can tell sadly but a card game like triple triad that you can play against npcs to collect more cards.

CLBridges

Wait. Are they actually doing this or am I misreading? If they add a card game like triple triad with card collecting and allow you to play other players, my life is over.

That would be a time sink if ever there was one. I mean, if they implement this correctly in the way FF8 did, oh man. Give me all the Gaius, Nael, Cid, Alphinaud etc. cards lol. That would be too good to be true (for those like me who loved triple triad).

neoemonk

Sorry if this is a dumb question but...I'm leveling my first character. I'm approaching level 30, and I understand that at that level I can unlock my job. Is it better to work on that right away or just level straight through until 50?

Reknoc

Sorry if this is a dumb question but...I'm leveling my first character. I'm approaching level 30, and I understand that at that level I can unlock my job. Is it better to work on that right away or just level straight through until 50?

You're gonna want to get your job first as it gives you extra skills.

Because it pretty much doesn't bring anything more to you, while punishing between 10 and 100 other people ? ( and given the hunt fights it's really not like fighting them with a small group make them that much more of an interesting fight ).
And, while hunt are an 'infinite' ressource given infinite time, there is still a very limited number of hunt given a specific time frame. so It's still very much making it hunt a wast of time for some people with a limited amount of it who can only play at peak hour.

But on the bright side, each time someone act like this even more people complain, and it might lead for some change in hunt.... for better or worst.

what am i acting like? how am i punishing anyone? 2 days ago i was trying to do some fates and i ran across Naul sitting by his lonesome so i decided to engage him. a fellow summoner ran by and assisted me and we killed it. how is this even remotely wrong? if i had waited for the rush of people and not gotten in a party, i myself would have been punished since i wouldn't have been in one of the 50 full parties killing it.

hunts can be a waste of time for anyone at peak hours as you mentioned, because they aren't guaranteed to even make it to a hunt mark when half of the server is already zerging it. people who decided to trivialize hunts with their spawn timer websites and their radars have created this chaos, so if people decide to join in on that fun, they can live with the consequences it brings.

i am doing nothing wrong by killing hunt marks by myself or among a small group of people if we happen to be there and are capable of taken down the mark and i'm surprised you see me as a bad person for it.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
i am doing nothing wrong by killing hunt marks by myself or among a small group of people if we happen to be there and are capable of taken down the mark and i'm surprised you see me as a bad person for it.

This is correct. Marks do not belong to the server. People are just playing the game the way it's intended.

What are the most fun things to get involved with within the first 20 levels? Don't want to waste my trial time with the boring stuff if I can avoid it.

Jayhawk

I believe in the heart of the cards!

The live letter information on the economy is interesting. Gil entering the economy is about the same before/after 2.3, but the gil leaving the economy has doubled.

Yoshida said:
The point here is that with the implementation of various new recipes and item desynthesis, there are a lot of items being bought from NPC shops by players who are aiming to get-rich-quick. They then use these items to craft and such. Also, I think a lot of this percentage can be attributed to those players who first bought low value items from NPC shops to skill up desynthesis at the lower levels. So with that said, this is why there was an increase for gil spent at NPC shops.

Looks like he's talking about Gizu.

elyetis

what am i acting like? how am i punishing anyone? 2 days ago i was trying to do some fates and i ran across Naul sitting by his lonesome so i decided to engage him. a fellow summoner ran by and assisted me and we killed it. how is this even remotely wrong? if i had waited for the rush of people and not gotten in a party, i myself would have been punished since i wouldn't have been in one of the 50 full parties killing it. .
You took the very long step to check if a Hunt party was looking for player ? or to shout once it was engaged ( few hit and you were already capped at that point, let alone by the time some people would have been there ).

But forget that, my comment was after quoting you speaking about killing hunt "with pals" very far from the dilemma about people solo who could have a hard time getting credits ( which is really something I'd like SE to work on since it also mean Hunt can't really be used by people during their queue time on the duty finder, same problem with Fate ), well by hard time I mean that for the most part they would need to invite a few of the many people who always end up shouting to be invited into a group since they can't make a group themselves.
But a party wouldn't be punished for waiting, since they would get full credit anyway.
hunts can be a waste of time for anyone at peak hours as you mentioned, because they aren't guaranteed to even make it to a hunt mark when half of the server is already zerging it. people who decided to trivialize hunts with their spawn timer websites and their radars have created this chaos, so if people decide to join in on that fun, they can live with the consequences it brings.
Not everyone who join those group do it because they want the hunt to work like they currently work. But because it's a chunk of item you can pretty much only get that way ( allied seals ) and that joining those group not only is the best way to get the reward ( and almost only way in peak hour anyway ), but again is also the best way to do it in a way which benefits the maximum number of people.
i am doing nothing wrong by killing hunt marks by myself or among a small group of people if we happen to be there and are capable of taken down the mark and i'm surprised you see me as a bad person for it
Again I'm all for the hunt to allow it to work that way without any ( or very limited ) consequence for the rest of the community, that way I would actually be interested in hunt gameplay wise, not only because it's the only way to have some item. But with the current state of hunt, yeah, bad I don't know, but very selfish ( for little gain, but consequence on many people ).

aceface

This Friday night, 9pm eastern Ultros GAF help night presents:

53e9b38a002aa826f9853f45.png

vs.
468px-Titan.jpg

stock-vector-label-with-the-word-extreme-82290790.jpg

For a night of:
images

images

carlopithicus.jpg

Come at 9pm Eastern and join the fun! Ideally we could get maybe 6 or 7 veterans and one or two newcomers in each party for the greatest % of clears, but that would depend on how many show up.

WolvenOne

Come at 9pm Eastern and join the fun! Ideally we could get maybe 6 or 7 veterans and one or two newcomers in each party for the greatest % of clears, but that would depend on how many show up.

I can give a hand, I have less to do since I'm so close to the end of the gearing treadmill. T_T

Besides, who knows, might get a pony.

dramatis

For a night of mining?

studyguy

There's going to be an achievement or some reward for having all the horses iirc.
I can't imagine more than a handful ever getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom