• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

I guess the problem is that the hunts really were meant for solo players to kill Bs, groups to kill As, and several groups to kill Ss. Instead, players decided that the whole server would kill every hunt mob to maximize rewards. The developers simply don't understand human nature I guess, it's natural to want the most rewards for the least effort especially in MMOs which have time sinking as a fundamental part of their design.

that's why i generally pull Bs and As on sight. the only reason i'll wait is if i don't think there are enough people to kill it, but most of the time there are enough people by the time i get there.

Honestly the only thing they really could do with hunts has already passed the point of no return. The basic idea was there all along but it's implementation was the complete opposite of what they should have done. To take as much drama out of the equation as possible(they should know by now that "thinking" players will work it out in a nice and friendly manner just can not be done in mmos these days), the only thing they ever had to do with hunts was make them glorified treasure maps where the difficulty scales depending on rank and you can group up as an alliance for the bigger ones and that the mobs are bound to the person/group who summons them.

Adding more health to these mobs was too little, too late. S ranks should have been flat out deadly and if you can't get even a small amount of coordination with an alliance, you just will not kill it. A should have been the "coil boss you can zerg if you want to" but also have to watch it's attacks while having a decent 8+man party. B is honestly about fine where it's at where you can solo them if you want but some may need extra. None of this should have been "open world bosses that anyone can hit".

If WoW(MoP) taught me anything in the year I played it, it was that true world bosses are a dead breed. The moment you open a "world boss" up to the world is the moment you bring all kinds of drama down on your game. A simple "go to this location", "form a group if needed", "activate trigger to summon boss that is bound to the summoner/group they are in" is literally all they had to do. Takes the vast amount of drama out of the equation and even forces people to maybe socialize a little more in an MMO if they want to down some of the bigger things. Don't make things overcomplicated and don't make them too difficult or the casuals will run screaming that they have to try, but make it so just enough effort has to be put in(asking for a simple group where everyone gets their own loot) so that everything isn't handed out(like sands).

Ken

If WoW(MoP) taught me anything in the year I played it, it was that true world bosses are a dead breed. The moment you open a "world boss" up to the world is the moment you bring all kinds of drama down on your game. A simple "go to this location", "form a group if needed", "activate trigger to summon boss that is bound to the summoner/group they are in" is literally all they had to do. Takes the vast amount of drama out of the equation and even forces people to maybe socialize a little more in an MMO if they want to down some of the bigger things. Don't make things overcomplicated and don't make them too difficult or the casuals will run screaming that they have to try, but make it so just enough effort has to be put in(asking for a simple group where everyone gets their own loot) so that everything isn't handed out(like sands).

Like you said they already had such a system in place. I guess the only way we'll ever know their intentions/ideal interaction with hunts is to ask yoship himself.

That explains why people are so crazy today.

Anyway, hunts should have been like treasure maps. So I can be amused by players trying to attack my treasure map enemies.

Sophia

I would have preferred it if Hunts used the tagging system from FFXI. That is, nobody outside of the party or alliance is allowed to help. However that would have required that alliances actually were in the game properly. :\

Ken

jbrIXJvJekVye9.png

IT'S OGREEEEE

i still need to go back in for warhorse

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I would have preferred it if Hunts used the tagging system from FFXI. That is, nobody outside of the party or alliance is allowed to help. However that would have required that alliances actually were in the game properly. :\

Oh screw that. I would probably just quit if they did that.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
You'd quit because notorious monsters like Mahisha would actually stand a chance of killing you instead of it just being a free for all? :p

I'd quit because I don't want to spend hours camping mobs only to find out some ass already claimed it.

Maybe I'm just lucky on my server, but there are the occasional quick pulls, but I almost always make it to the party on time.

Sophia

I'd quit because I don't want to spend hours camping mobs only to find out some ass already claimed it.

Maybe I'm just lucky on my server, but there are the occasional quick pulls, but I almost always make it to the party on time.

Generally this wouldn't happen because at the current moment the marks are both highly spread out and offer the same rewards regardless of rank. Whatever group that saw it first would be the one to claim it.

I find hunting B and A ranks is more enjoyable then following the mob of enemies anyhow. Sure you get rewards slower, but you have way more fun because there's some risk involved fighting it with the intended amount of people.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I don't see why SE couldn't just put a cap weekly on seals as well like soldiery. It might help make hunts less of a thing people do constantly at the expense of most other content.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think SE should put Allied Seals into DF/HM Dungeons/ST/whatever.

That way, players can have a choice of committing more time to farm up Seals at a steady place, or commit less time for a variable chance at getting Seals. This would also allow them more room to tweak and change Hunts so they don't completely lock people out of Allied Seal rewards.

I think SE should put Allied Seals into DF/HM Dungeons/ST/whatever.

That way, players can have a choice of committing more time to farm up Seals at a steady place, or commit less time for a variable chance at getting Seals. This would also allow them more room to tweak and change Hunts so they don't completely lock people out of Allied Seal rewards.

they have daily/weeklies but those are shit

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I wish they would have acknowledged it from the start instead of the bs silence they pulled with the last patch, allowing people to believe it's "working as intended" when it obviously isn't

Last minute "oh, btw yeah, hunts are broken guys gonna patch lol" is not cool.

"Major changes" yeahok.gif :roll

Yeah their reaction should have been much quicker. We'll see what sort of changes they are planning when the patch notes hit I guess.

I kind of expect better from SE since this is a paid subscription game.

studyguy

Who are these people who still think we're getting more than ninjas and rogues prior to the expansion? Dude said himself that was all we'd get a long time ago.

Also shit I'm sitting here salty in the back of a car headed to Monterey eating a Mcdonald ice cream cone as my planted seeds are about to bloom in game while I'm away for two days... muh eggplant knights. Told the FC to water them at least.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So what is this patch? A mini-mini patch? No official patch preview or anything this close to it. Weird.

Sorian

Banned
Well considering that the "last patch" was just 2.3xxxx(random numbers to indicate it's a bugfix/bandaid fix patch) then yes I would hope 2.35 is more meaningful than what was never more than just a bandaid fix patch.

My apologies, I shouldn't have used the word patch. 2.3 and 2.4 would be patches. This is a slight version update. We can just wait and see again but, as per the norm, nothing will be different about hunting after 2.35 or after 2.38 for that matter.

So what is this patch? A mini-mini patch? No official patch preview or anything this close to it. Weird.

It's the patch that is adding the beast tribe in and various other things that have been talked about over the last month and a half on the forums. It's not a "major" patch like 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 were so they do not preview it before the patch comes out. The most they will say either on patch day or the day before is say some info about the Ixali tribe, any changes to systems/balance/things that could change the market have not and will probably never be talked about before the update actually happens.

My apologies, I shouldn't have used the word patch. 2.3 and 2.4 would be patches. This is a slight version update. We can just wait and see again but, as per the norm, nothing will be different about hunting after 2.35 or after 2.38 for that matter.

Saying that is like saying nothing "major" will ever happen in "in between" patches, the beast tribe may not be considered "major" to most but it is actual noteworthy content that gives people something to do. Also it will remain to be seen(I fully expect it to be pushed to 2.4) but they have said multiple times now that personal housing will be in 2.38, if that's not considered major then idk what is. Point is if they can do something like housing in a smaller patch then there is no reason they can't make noteworthy changes to how hunts work before a major content patch. Hell I'd even say those frontlines changes they pushed out less than a week after 2.3 went live were more major than most of what we have gotten in smaller in between patches, although you could also say they knew of that issue beforehand and had been working on them for some time before the patch came out.

Sorian

Banned
Saying that is like saying nothing "major" will ever happen in "in between" patches, the beast tribe may not be considered "major" to most but it is actual noteworthy content that gives people something to do. Also it will remain to be seen(I fully expect it to be pushed to 2.4) but they have said multiple times now that personal housing will be in 2.38, if that's not considered major then idk what is. Point is if they can do something like housing in a smaller patch then there is no reason they can't make noteworthy changes to how hunts work before a major content patch. Hell I'd even say those frontlines changes they pushed out less than a week after 2.3 went live were more major than most of what we have gotten in smaller in between patches, although you could also say they knew of that issue beforehand and had been working on them for some time before the patch came out.

You're arguing weird semantics here. It's not even up for debate that the quantity in a 2.X patch will always be higher than the rest and past that, my point has nothing to do with that. Hunts won't change and I'm getting tired of this cycle of "oh, patch coming, all praise the hunt nerfs"

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Basic summary of what was said:

Hunts are going to be adjusted in 2.35 on the 19th of Aug. The intention of the mob hunt was to have each rank drawing different types of players B (solo) A (party that finds it or FC members) S (server shouts). But because it was in a public field, it was designed without a claim system. The problem is people decided to hunt every rank the same way. Because the allagan tomestones also drop, people just decided to do hunts over everything else. In 2.35 they will be adjusting them to alleviate some of the current problems. He doesn't want people to feel they need to rush out and farm hunts now because of the planned changes. Also a claim system was used in FFXI and it caused people to make multiple characters and accounts to claim these mobs.That system is not something they will not implement in FFXIV

Glad he recognized that.

Haly

Oh no, please don't nerf the tomestones.

I really liked being able to cap soldiery in a day. I don't have that much time to grind DF.

Sorian

Banned
Basic summary of what was said:

Glad he recognized that.

But who cares? Hunts are the main course for 2.3. Don't worry, when 2.4 rolls around, suddenly few will care.

Also, since SE loves to miss the mark completely, you could read that as they will just make all hunts S level to match the fact that they all end up being shouted on server anyway.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
But who cares? Hunts are the main course for 2.3. Don't worry, when 2.4 rolls around, suddenly few will care.

Also, since SE loves to miss the mark completely, you could read that as they will just make all hunts S level to match the fact that they all end up being shouted on server anyway.

He basically admitted that wasn't supposed to be the case and by recognizing it they can take steps to plan for future additions to the hunts that will undoubtedly come whenever they decide to add other rewards to them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Simple, make rewards in df comparable to time spent in hunts. Crystal Tower run should net you at least what you would get for one s hunt.

Don't nerf hunts, make other things more rewarding.

Sorian

Banned
He basically admitted that wasn't supposed to be the case and by recognizing it they can take steps to plan for future additions to the hunts that will undoubtedly come whenever they decide to add other rewards to them.

I don't think its a surprise to anyone that they will be very careful going forward when it comes to what rewards can be bought with seals and how many of whatever the new tomestone will drop from hunts. As far as the here and now though, they've already made their bed and they just have to lay in it and I'm positive they will. This is how hunts are now and their best course of action is to roll with it until new content makes the hunt obsolete which will then allow them to get in there and play with the system.

Preliminary Patch notes for Final Fantasy XIV 2.35

Class/Balance

Paladin:
  • Shield Oath is now automatically applied if you have no Oath active.
  • Hallowed Ground now activates automatically before any damage received that would normally kill you.
  • Shield Bash now has a 60 second delay in Frontlines. (Unchanged in Wolves' Den)

Warrior:
  • Holmgang now binds all targets within 10 yalms when used. Duration increased to 15 seconds. (Frontlines version remains unchanged)

Scholar:
  • Selene's speed increasing abilities now also grant +3 to all resistances for 30 seconds.
  • Embrace no longer automatically targets players on your Blacklist.
  • As Scholar is intended to be a more friendly-oriented job, it may no longer be selected in Frontlines.

Summoner:
  • Tri-disaster potency increased to 35.

Bard:
  • Swiftcast is now available as a cross-class ability.
  • As we found many players rarely used them, Army's Paeon, Mage's Ballad, and Foe Requiem were removed from the game. As a replacement, bards now have 3 additional self-buff abilities.

White Mage:
  • The MP cost of all healing abilities has been quadrupled. (Applies to Frontlines only)
  • Holy may no longer be used in-combat.
  • Benediction now triggers automatically if the target player's health drops below 10%.

Black Mage:
  • The potency of Fire I has been increased by 20.

Monk:
  • The potency of all monk attacks has been reduced by approximately 1/3. To compensate, Greased Lightning now stacks up to 10 times.

Dragoon:
  • Base HP increased by 1500.
  • Jump's cooldown has been reduced to 20 seconds.

System Changes
  • The Materia resulting from a conversion is now based on the stats of the item converted.
  • Defeating an S-Rank elite hunt mark now grants everyone who earned full credit a blood-spattered mark log.
  • The formula for determining credit on hunt marks has been changed. Players experiencing "disappearing mobs" will automatically receive full credit.
  • Sands of time and Oil of time may no longer be obtained by exchanging blood-spattered mark logs in Revenant's Toll.

Ixali Beast Tribe:
  • The Ixali beast tribe was added to the game. Quests exclusive to high-level crafters can be undertaken to earn their favor.
  • New recipes are available to craft Ixali bikini items after reaching the maximum reputation.

I'd keep going but I've already gone way overboard

Haly

This is how hunts are now and their best course of action is to roll with it until new content...

I don't see how you could possibly think this. Since when was leaving a broken game system in an MMO intact ever a "best course of action"?

Haly

Just do one expert DR a day and you'll be fine.

That's too many. ( ._.)

I like being able to set "Soldiery Days" depending on how much I felt like grinding and what other games had my attention. It'd be different if I could stack up DF rewards like I could Leves, but I can't...

EDIT: Haman, I was ready to log on and trade all my seals for Sand/Oil.

Simple, make rewards in df comparable to time spent in hunts. Crystal Tower run should net you at least what you would get for one s hunt.

Don't nerf hunts, make other things more rewarding.

Problem with making other things more rewarding is that eventually you reach a point where once again everything rewards the best gear(see 2.0 and how myth gear was comparable to coil gear and was handed out and then once again with 2.3 when they made sands irrelevant with how easy they were to get). If everything rewards the best gear then what's the point of doing any of the harder content that they make?

They made this game have a horizontal gear progression so that it would keep people interested long term, not give out the absolute best gear the game will ever get by doing nothing more than easy dungeons and then have them sit on that same gear forever. Playing dress up is nice and all and it works for GW2, but when they chose the progression they did, they made it so gear actually has an impact on what you can do.

They never should have made sands as easy as they are to get from allied marks and they never should have let myth gear be equal to coil gear in 2.0. Not everyone may see it this way, but this is a business that runs this game and when you just hand out the best of the best equipment for doing nothing but easymode content, then what do you think happens when people get that best gear in no time? The game is centered around gear progression for now until they start adding more and more minigames and making the world bigger by adding more to do in it, when people are done with gearing then many see little point in continuing to pay until there is a new carrot to go after.

Make everything have the same carrot and reward the same amount of currency then what's the point in logging in once you have everything? New higher ilvl content is only added every 6 months or so, is everyone really going to stick around and keep paying when they have the highest ilvl a month into a patch?

Sophia

Preliminary Patch notes for Final Fantasy XIV 2.35

Class/Balance

Paladin:
  • Shield Oath is now automatically applied if you have no Oath active.
  • Hallowed Ground now activates automatically before any damage received that would normally kill you.

Scholar:
  • As Scholar is intended to be a more friendly-oriented job, it may no longer be selected in Frontlines.

White Mage:
  • Holy may no longer be used in-combat.
  • Benediction now triggers automatically if the target player's health drops below 10%.

This is just evil, even in jest. ;_;

Haly

Haman is trolling, your welfare state is safe!

Haly

I can't tell if you're sighing at Haman's joke or if you're sighing that I didn't get the sarcasm in your post.

THIS HAMAN TROLL IS TOO STRONK, IT JUST KEEPS GOING.

Mesharey

I just read that Sands will be removed from hunts and panicked directly lol.
I'll do hunts today to get the last sands I want just in case. :p
I meant his post btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom