• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

What about from your PS3 / PS4 to a usb drive and then to your PC? I'm still with a DVD-RW drive. I do need to upgrade at some point.

I've heard that some people have trouble getting them off of the PS4 but we had no problem.

You put the blu-ray in and it gives you an ip address to connect to. I think as long as your computer is on the same network as the PS4 you can connect and download the songs from there. Worked perfectly for us for both the FFXIV:ARR and FFX-HD soundtracks.

aceface

illust11.jpg

Dat seedseer

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If the Shiva fight is in the expansion, no Shiva fight for a year? I wonder what 2.5 will entail to tide us over.

Einhander

I hate partying with the occasional "know-it-all" passive-aggressive jerks. They nitpick about everything you do, even though the run is going fine, but make sarcastic comments towards you. I welcome constructive criticism, but as long as it's said with respect. It hurts the enjoyment of the game when these "veterans" get on your back. Sorry, just had to vent.

iammeiam

Fishing RNG is so bad I wonder why I enjoy doing it. Weather has to be right, fish has to be right, and then if mooching or going for forager's you have to also get given an HQ.

Got a Titanic Sawfish with relatively little trouble, but totally stalling out on silver sovereigns (13 HQ from Friday/Saturday. 1 HQ Sunday. FML.) and the weather hasn't been right for Navigator's Brand.

And yet, still preferable to mining.

If the Shiva fight is in the expansion, no Shiva fight for a year? I wonder what 2.5 will entail to tide us over.

Greg EX in 2.4 and
Omega Weapon
in 2.5? The latter was mentioned in the 2.3 story, so we have to see it eventually.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If they are holding out on Shiva for so long, she must be really pretty important.

Speculation Time!

The Holy See was tricked by the Ascians into summoning Halone. Similar to what they tried to do to the Little Ala Mhigans and Rhalgr. This time, they complete the summoning, but the aether corrupts Halone, turning her into Shiva.

Kidding. Or not.

Fishing RNG is so bad I wonder why I enjoy doing it. Weather has to be right, fish has to be right, and then if mooching or going for forager's you have to also get given an HQ.

Got a Titanic Sawfish with relatively little trouble, but totally stalling out on silver sovereigns (13 HQ from Friday/Saturday. 1 HQ Sunday. FML.) and the weather hasn't been right for Navigator's Brand.

And yet, still preferable to mining.

Greg EX in 2.4 and
Omega Weapon
in 2.5? The latter was mentioned in the 2.3 story, so we have to see it eventually.

But mining is incredibly easy. You just have to show up to be guaranteed 1 HQ. I have 28 HQ Umbral Rocks I wonder if I should go for the hat right away or get 60 for the tool. Decisions, decisions.

I also made a nifty little spreadsheet to solve for the optimum melds given current materia prices (though they vary wildly, so optimal melds could be different from one day to the next). I really wish I'd done that sooner instead of relying on guides that had you meld control IV on accessories (turns out it's not very optimal). I used it to meld my new Rose Gold Choker. The expected cost to fully meld it was around 170k and at most around 450k (with a 95% of it being less).

I could look up other melds if anyone is interested when I get home.

Edit: I forgot to mention the optimal meld (at those days prices) was CPIV, Control III, Craftmanship III, CP2, Control 1. (Control 1 and CP2 prices go back and forth, so whichever is cheapest at the moment you meld should be last).

Versus the recommended optimum melds:
Optimum Meld: Control IV, CP III, CP III, Craftsmanship II
Alternative Meld: Control III, CP III, CP III, Craftsmanship II, Control I

I could tell you how much more expensive those are when I get home, but it wasn't close.

Tiops

Animus isn't that bad, since you at least get a little stat boost with every book completion.
But it isn't too RNG reliant, is it?

Funny thing is that I don't have a 100% negative opinion about Atma farming. I'm using party finder a lot, gathering full parties for it, and you end up talking to other players more than you normally would. But the drop rates are terrible and the RNG really doesn't help, making the experience more negative than it should be.

And it's sad to see everyone in your party getting their Atmas until you're farming alone again :(

But it isn't too RNG reliant, is it?

Funny thing is that I don't have a 100% negative opinion about Atma farming. I'm using party finder a lot, gathering full parties for it, and you end up talking to other players more than you normally would. But the drop rates are terrible and the RNG really doesn't help, making the experience more negative than it should be.

And it's sad to see everyone in your party getting their Atmas until you're farming alone again :(

No RNG, except on the spawn time of the FATEs you'll have to camp. They've patched faster spawn times, but it still can be more than 2 hours you're waiting. And some FATEs (I'm looking at you Taken) are over so fast, you have no choice, but to camp them.

iammeiam

But mining is incredibly easy. You just have to show up to be guaranteed 1 HQ. I have 28 HQ Umbral Rocks I wonder if I should go for the hat right away or get 60 for the tool. Decisions, decisions.

It's easy, but not something you can really focus on since there's a ton of downtime between umbral rock node windows. Fishing I can do whenever I have nothing else going on, and don't pop out of a dungeon, look at the in-game time, and realize I just missed a window. Plus all these NQ silver sovereigns are doing wonders for my culinarian desynth level.

The struggle to choose between hat and tool is real; I either have enough for a hat and four fish towards the rod, or fourteen fish towards the rod and none towards the hat. I'm leaning towards just grabbing the last six for the rod first, then grinding out ten more for the hat, because the Forager tool stat bump is pretty substantial and will open up new possibilities, while the hat is a comparatively minor upgrade (albeit one my gathering classes could share.)

It's easy, but not something you can really focus on since there's a ton of downtime between umbral rock node windows. Fishing I can do whenever I have nothing else going on, and don't pop out of a dungeon, look at the in-game time, and realize I just missed a window. Plus all these NQ silver sovereigns are doing wonders for my culinarian desynth level.

The struggle to choose between hat and tool is real; I either have enough for a hat and four fish towards the rod, or fourteen fish towards the rod and none towards the hat. I'm leaning towards just grabbing the last six for the rod first, then grinding out ten more for the hat, because the Forager tool stat bump is pretty substantial and will open up new possibilities, while the hat is a comparatively minor upgrade (albeit one my gathering classes could share.)

If you're focusing on fishing then go for the rod first. The hat is mostly useless for fishers.

MechaX

I watched The Raid 1 and 2 back to back and really want a MNK at level 50 now.

Hopefully, somehow, they can make a MNK that badass once the level cap is raised and it gets new moves.
I can dream

For Umbral's Rocks, use King's Yeld II + Unearth.

Got my tools pretty fast that way.

That's super RNG dependant though. With Unearth the HQ chance for me is 11%, and the success chance on an NQ is 89% for me, plus I'd need GP food since I'm at around 580. I think I like the slow and steady method better. 1 HQ guaranteed, and sometimes you get 1 or 2 more.

I just take a break from crafting at around 5:30am pop miner up and go get the rocks (I only need 500 GP for my rotation, so by the time I get there I'm ready to mine). Then go to Drybone for the Gold sands and ores and then back to crafting, when I'm not doing anything else.

Getting the tools and hat is so much easier for the gathering classes than for crafters.

Noi

If you're focusing on fishing then go for the rod first. The hat is mostly useless for fishers.

How is it useless? It's still an improvement over a fully melded Puller's Hat, there's no better alternative atm and you can avoid having to do a perfect meld on the i55 hat in the first place.

I went for the hat before the rod cause it was a nice boost in perception, which let me catch HQ Silvers a lot easier.

What IS insulting is that all the Master Fisher Ring does is increase GP. :|

IMBored

That's super RNG dependant though. With Unearth the HQ chance for me is 11%, and the success chance on an NQ is 89% for me, plus I'd need GP food since I'm at around 580. I think I like the slow and steady method better. 1 HQ guaranteed, and sometimes you get 1 or 2 more.

I got the hat, miner and botanist tool with the risky method, and only in two nodes didn't get any HQ. Used mutton stew to make it to 600, very cheap to make. But I can see the safe method benefits too, at least you'll know exactly when you'll get the items

Taruranto

I just take a break from crafting at around 5:30am pop miner up and go get the rocks (I only need 500 GP for my rotation, so by the time I get there I'm ready to mine). Then go to Drybone for the Gold sands and ores and then back to crafting, when I'm not doing anything else.

Getting the tools and hat is so much easier for the gathering classes than for crafters.

Yeah, sometimes you only get NQ, but on other hand, sometimes you also get 10+ HQ. It was much more tolerable and less-despair inducing for me than 1 HQ at time.

I had 600 GP so I didn't need food though.

I got the hat, miner and botanist tool with the risky method, and only in two nodes didn't get any HQ. Used mutton stew to make it to 600, very cheap to make. But I can see the safe method benefits too, at least you'll know exactly when you'll get the items

I just did a quick calculation of the expected value of your method vs the safe one and it's not good (at least for my stats).

So 89% * 11% * 5 swings * 3 rocks = 1.4685 HQ rocks per node.

Safe method: 100% * 11% * 5 swings * 1 rock + 1 HQ guaranteed = 1.55 HQ rocks per node.

In the long run the safe method is better and cheaper since you don't need food. It only uses 500 GP so you can switch to miner just before and not have to wait for those extra 100 GP to fill.

If your NQ gathering rate was over 95% then the RNG method has a better expected return. However it's much riskier and if you've ever taken a finance class you should know that the riskier the investment the more return it needs to offer to make sense. I'll be sticking with the safe method myself.

Jayhawk

The full i70 gathering math from: said:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/22b9bj/umbral_rock_and_fragrant_log
  1. Toil of the Mountaineer/Pioneer, Field Mastery II, and Leaf Turn/Unearth + Brunt Force/Deep Vigor on the 6th Swing
    -5 swings at 100% with a ~12% HQ chance. 100% HQ on the final swing. 1.6 HQ per hour
  2. King's Yield II/Blessed Harvest II and Field Mastery II
    -5 swings at 100% with a ~2% HQ chance. Each swing yields 3 items. 0.3 HQ per hour
  3. King's Yield II/Blessed Harvest II and Leaf Turn/Unearth
    -5 swings ~89% with a ~12% HQ chance. Each swing yields 3 items. 1.602 HQ per hour
  4. Toil of the Mountaineer/Pioneer and Leaf Turn II/Unearth II
    -6 swings ~89% with a ~32% HQ chance. 2.124 HQ per hour
  5. Toil of the Mountaineer/Pioneer and Solid Reason/Ageless Words (+ Brunt Force/Deep Vigor)
    -7 swings ~89% with a 2% HQ chance. Assuming a Chain 4 is attained the 6th and 7th swings are 100% HQ. 1.277 HQ per hour

Option 4 is the best long-term option.

crispybutts

Neo Member
I placed an in-game FC application just posting here to confirm that I submitted it.

Only a level 31 DRG atm. Game is fun... got to 50 FSH on a different server and I want to do that again.

iammeiam

Maintenance starts earlier than I was expecting tonight--9 PM Pacific.

Really curious to see what's in the patch notes, and how they're going to further tune hunts. Putting my bet on sands showing up in ST starting tomorrow, at least.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Maintenance starts earlier than I was expecting tonight--9 PM Pacific.

Really curious to see what's in the patch notes, and how they're going to further tune hunts. Putting my bet on sands showing up in ST starting tomorrow, at least.

The way Yoshida was talking I think they might remove the allagan tomestones from hunts.

Tabris

Unlocking the cap on soldiery would make hunts even worse. The only thing that's holding back players who were hunting from the beginning from going crazy is they have finished sands and oils for all their soldiery pieces.

There's so many players with 5+ jobs, that if soldiery was opened up, they would spam rush for all their jobs.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Unlocking the cap on soldiery would make hunts even worse. The only thing that's holding back players who were hunting from the beginning from going crazy is they have finished sands and oils for all their soldiery pieces.

There's so many players with 5+ jobs, that if soldiery was opened up, they would spam rush for all their jobs.

Pretty much. They won't uncap soldiery until they introduce the next currency probably in 2.4. So in two months.

WolvenOne

Well, they're going to open up Soldiery eventually of course, but that'll be in patch 2.4 most likely, and chances are there'll be a new type of Tome type for, I dunno, ilvl120 armor, or whatnot.

WolvenOne

If they remove soldiery from hunts, I really hope they add more soldiery to 2nd Coil.

That'd be a fair trade-off.

Frankly, while hunts were and are great for Grinding out a Novus, I'd almost be ecstatic to see them remove at least the Soldiery bonus from hunts. I want to be given good incentive for running the latest dungeons again.

BadRNG

Frankly, while hunts were and are great for Grinding out a Novus, I'd almost be ecstatic to see them remove at least the Soldiery bonus from hunts. I want to be given good incentive for running the latest dungeons again.
Isn't the incentive already there? A guaranteed 70 seals whenever you want.

Not sure what the problem is with having multiple options to cap soldiery. You aren't forced to hunt. I capped my stuff this week with a mix of all four, pvp/dungeon/hunt/coil. I never felt like I was grinding for it, it just happened while playing. I much prefer this than feeling like I have to do a roulette unless I wanna get screwed on tomes. I still need EX DR for my Alexandrite but frankly I am not even doing it every day like I am supposed to, they just aren't that fun.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That'd be a fair trade-off.

Not even close.

At the moment, you can quickly cap out Soldiery from Hunts without needing more than ilvl 50 gear. If they shift the Hunt Soldiery to T6-T9, they just locked out a bunch of people who only recently hit 50 and don't have the gear/groups to do 2nd Coil from a convenient source of Soldiery. If your desire is to see a reduced rate of gear progression for fresh 50s, that's whatever, but moving the Soldiery from Hunts to end-game content is in no way a "fair trade-off".

Einhander

They need to allow you to get myth and soldiery solo, whether it's by doing FATEs or leves. Even if it's a small amount. I'm bored of running dungeons repeatedly. Besides hunts, those are hard to get to in time.

WolvenOne

Isn't the incentive already there? A guaranteed 70 seals whenever you want.

Not sure what the problem is with having multiple options to cap soldiery. You aren't forced to hunt. I capped my stuff this week with a mix of all four, pvp/dungeon/hunt/coil. I never felt like I was grinding for it, it just happened while playing. I much prefer this than feeling like I have to do a roulette unless I wanna get screwed on tomes. I still need EX DR for my Alexandrite but frankly I am not even doing it every day like I am supposed to, they just aren't that fun.

Well I've hardly ran dungeons in weeks, namely because the first decent hunt night of the week gets me to cap, and that's often fairly early in the week. Reducing the amount of crafting mat drops would give me some incentive of course, since I really do need GC seals, but capping via hunts is ridiculously easy.

Tabris

I have not done a dungeon in like 3 weeks and I'm pretty happy about it. Dungeons are amazing your first couple of times but get boring fast. At least hunting has the thrill of getting to a hunt in time.

Or remove the bullshit from dungeons and get your tomes there :D

Knowing how Squenix works, it's more likely they would remove the tomestones from hunts and reduce the Soldiery from dungeons to 10 per run. Because fuck you, that's why.

I can't wait to see the people who cried for hunts to be nerfed realize that when they got what they wanted they will now have to grind the dungeons again every week to cap Sol. Also it's going to fuck anybody who was still doing the Relic upgrade quest. I'm glad I grinded out my 13,500 Myth tomes and got my Animus done already, because fuck doing that if it gets nerfed to running Hullbreaker Isle 270 times again like before. Now I can just hang back and get my daily Alexandrite from EX DR.

Einhander

I can't wait to see the people who cried for hunts to be nerfed realize that when they got what they wanted they will now have to grind the dungeons again every week to cap Sol. Also it's going to fuck anybody who was still doing the Relic upgrade quest. I'm glad I grinded out my 13,500 Myth tomes and got my Animus done already, because fuck doing that if it gets nerfed to running Hullbreaker Isle 270 times again like before. Now I can just hang back and get my daily Alexandrite from EX DR.

SQEX risks a drop in subscription numbers if enough people are frustrated in collecting tomestones.

dramatis

Not even close.

At the moment, you can quickly cap out Soldiery from Hunts without needing more than ilvl 50 gear. If they shift the Hunt Soldiery to T6-T9, they just locked out a bunch of people who only recently hit 50 and don't have the gear/groups to do 2nd Coil from a convenient source of Soldiery. If your desire is to see a reduced rate of gear progression for fresh 50s, that's whatever, but moving the Soldiery from Hunts to end-game content is in no way a "fair trade-off".
You're making the assumption that fresh 50s should jump straight from the end of story to highest level endgame content though. Rather than simply relying on soldiery, by running the endgame dungeons and T1-T5 they can gear up. Even if the tomes from hunts are removed, fresh 50s haven't been locked out of anything at all. Currently, players still have to beat T5 to access 2nd Coil. So it's not like they can't get tomes from other places. It's just that it'll take more effort than bumrushing select mobs on the overworld.

WolvenOne

I have not done a dungeon in like 3 weeks and I'm pretty happy about it. Dungeons are amazing your first couple of times but get boring fast. At least hunting has the thrill of getting to a hunt in time.

I prefer keeping my activities somewhat varied, which is why I'm usually just fine with a big grind, so long as I don't have to do the exact same thing over and over.

So while it'd be nice to have a means of collecting Soldiery on the overworld, I'd prefer to hop back and forth between hunts and dungeons, which at the very least means reducing the Soldiery reward.

Besides, more people doing dungeons means fewer people zerging Hunts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom