• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You're making the assumption that fresh 50s should jump straight from the end of story to highest level endgame content though. Rather than simply relying on soldiery, by running the endgame dungeons and T1-T5 they can gear up. Even if the tomes from hunts are removed, fresh 50s haven't been locked out of anything at all.

That's beside the point. My objection with WolvenOne's statement is that simply moving the Soldiery being injected into the playerbase by Hunts to T6-9 is not a 1:1 trade for many players. That's all.

I have no desire to debate about the proper rate of gear progression.
Doing an expert roulette a day to cap soldiery is not that painful guys.

I have a self-imposed rule when it comes to managing MMO addiction, which is this:

If I find myself logging in daily at set times to clear some content for the sole reason that I'd be "missing out" on some daily/weekly reset if I didn't, It's no longer a game and it's become a job, and at that point I usually hit the unsubscribe button.

Hunts let me concentrate my grinding into days when I actually feel like playing FFXIV on hours on end, so I appreciate that. I could grind Frontlines, of course, but I don't enjoy Frontlines that much, nor do I like the 20 minute commitments, or having to wait for queues to pop. In the current state of the game, I can pretty much Hunt anytime I want to, there's always one or two groups running around whether it's early in the morning or late at night. I enjoy the freedom this system offers me and would be sad to see it go.

iammeiam

I wouldn't say no to a slight sold buff to Frontlines; as-is it's pretty decent, but if they were to add a daily bonus of 20 you could pick between Frontlines and EX roulette once a day to cap.

I'd like to see them nerf hunts slightly but mostly resolve by buffing everything else.

Ken

Not even close.

At the moment, you can quickly cap out Soldiery from Hunts without needing more than ilvl 50 gear. If they shift the Hunt Soldiery to T6-T9, they just locked out a bunch of people who only recently hit 50 and don't have the gear/groups to do 2nd Coil from a convenient source of Soldiery. If your desire is to see a reduced rate of gear progression for fresh 50s, that's whatever, but moving the Soldiery from Hunts to end-game content is in no way a "fair trade-off".

1. Why do new players need to quickly cap soldiery.
2. Dungeons are a convenient source of soldiery that also get players used to group content at level 50.

Jayhawk

Maybe I will finally do one of the 2.3 dungeons after they add 2.35... or I can queue Frontlines with Kawazi Oazi, PVP expert. I want to up my win rate for the week to be around 50% after tonight.

Not even close.

At the moment, you can quickly cap out Soldiery from Hunts without needing more than ilvl 50 gear. If they shift the Hunt Soldiery to T6-T9, they just locked out a bunch of people who only recently hit 50 and don't have the gear/groups to do 2nd Coil from a convenient source of Soldiery. If your desire is to see a reduced rate of gear progression for fresh 50s, that's whatever, but moving the Soldiery from Hunts to end-game content is in no way a "fair trade-off".

Wut...

He's not saying take away soldiery from the new dungeons, he's saying give a buff to the amount of soldiery we get from Coil, which IS fair because it gives out a pitiful amount compared to First Coil.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not sure you read my post correctly.

I'm talking about a hypothetical scenario where SE lowers/removes the Soldiery from Hunts and adds more Soldiery to T6-9 to promote more dungeon running, while keeping the rate of Soldiery acquisition the same for end-game players, as was implied by Tabris and WolvenOne.

If they remove soldiery from hunts, I really hope they add more soldiery to 2nd Coil.
I'd almost be ecstatic to see them remove at least the Soldiery bonus from hunts. I want to be given good incentive for running the latest dungeons again.

WolvenOne

1. Why do new players need to quickly cap soldiery.
2. Dungeons are a convenient source of soldiery that also get players used to group content at level 50.

Doing dungeons, while not particularly difficult, at least keeps you on your toes somewhat and trains you how to do your job. Hunts may be convenient, but they do absolutely nothing to train up the population.

Besides that, it really doesn't take a lot of time to cap via dungeon runs.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
They should have added more soldiery to coil a while ago. 30 soldiery for killing any of those Turns a is a joke.

dramatis

waqOMt2.jpg

Taruranto

Doing dungeons, while not particularly difficult, at least keeps you on your toes somewhat and trains you how to do your job..

They really don't, though.

Also if you really wanna run dungeons, do them. No one is stopping you. If you want Soldiery removed from hunts, you clearly don't want them from hunts, so It doesn't matter if they give less soldiery than dungeons.

WolvenOne

They should have added more soldiery to coil a while ago. 30 soldiery for killing any of those Turns a is a joke.

Agreed, at the same time during 2.1, we were getting 50Myth per Turn, for top teir endgame content like that, this sort of reward is appropriate. Plus it mostly gets people to cap already, so people who really don't want to run dungeons wouldn't have much more to do.

I'm not sure you read my post correctly.

I'm talking about a hypothetical scenario where SE lowers/removes the Soldiery from Hunts and adds more Soldiery to T6-9 to promote more dungeon running, while keeping the rate of Soldiery acquisition the same for end-game players, as was implied by Tabris and WolvenOne.

You get 80 tomes from doing on Expert DR a day...maybe 30-40 minutes of your time. Not seeing the issue.

WolvenOne

Also if you really wanna run dungeons, do them. No one is stopping you. If you want Soldiery removed from hunts, you clearly don't want them from hunts, so It doesn't matter if they give less soldiery than dungeons.

I disagree.

With hunts, the point is basically, "Build enmity," and, "don't die." The only class where snap aggro is actually a good think is the tank, for every other role this sort of play style needs to be discouraged at all cost. So imagine people that hit endgame during this patch, if they've done most of their gearing up via hunts, they'll likely have developed some bad habits that may follow them around for awhile.

Besides that, dungeons and trials teach you things like, cool down management, mob management, and general environmental observation skills. The amount of skill you need to clear these hurdles may be somewhat low, but they're still good practice for newer players, and a good thing even for veterans to practice on every once in awhile.

Ken

If you're with new 50s, the same ones some here want hurried into Coil2, then yes they can.

I have a self-imposed rule when it comes to managing MMO addiction

Hunts let me concentrate my grinding into days when I actually feel like playing FFXIV on hours on end, so I appreciate that.

That's funny because I think hunts have far more of that addictive nature than dungeons do, mainly because of how little effort you need to actually do them.

Anyways, I understand your point of not wanting it to daily checklist/job type deal but the same can be said of hunts. If A/S windows are closed, check again later when they are. With the payouts as they are now, doing Bs are just inefficient really.

At this point I don't really care what they do to hunts, but this aversion to running dungeons, despite the ultimate objective being 8-man instanced raids, is really weird.

and adds more Soldiery to T6-9 to promote more dungeon running

Uh, T6-9 aren't really dungeon running.

It is when you no longer play the game once a day anymore and instead every so often throughout the week.

You don't play anymore because you got that T6-8 soldiery on farm so you don't really fit into the conversation.

WolvenOne

Anyways, I understand your point of not wanting it to daily checklist/job type deal but the same can be said of hunts. Are A/S windows down? Yes? Check again later when they are. With the payouts as they are now, doing Bs are just inefficient really.

At this point I don't really care what they do to hunts, but this aversion to running dungeons is really weird.

Some people have a real aversion to doing anything in this game with random pugs. I can understand that, but learning how to cope with the mistakes of other players is a valuable skill in it's own right.

WolvenOne

As far as soldiery goes, I just wish I had something to buy with them.

True, I'm actually half inclined to grab the Soldiery Axe, even though I already have a Novus, just because it's slightly more optimal for Off Tanking. Might be a waste though, depending on what eventually drops from T9.

Isaccard

Knowing how Squenix works, it's more likely they would remove the tomestones from hunts and reduce the Soldiery from dungeons to 10 per run. Because fuck you, that's why.

I can't wait to see the people who cried for hunts to be nerfed realize that when they got what they wanted they will now have to grind the dungeons again every week to cap Sol. Also it's going to fuck anybody who was still doing the Relic upgrade quest. I'm glad I grinded out my 13,500 Myth tomes and got my Animus done already, because fuck doing that if it gets nerfed to running Hullbreaker Isle 270 times again like before. Now I can just hang back and get my daily Alexandrite from EX DR.

I'm okay with this. One Ex a day, frontlines and vanity gear sounds good to me :3

Tabris

True, I'm actually half inclined to grab the Soldiery Axe, even though I already have a Novus, just because it's slightly more optimal for Off Tanking. Might be a waste though, depending on what eventually drops from T9.

We're most likely a month or more away from T9 win, so feel free to buy the soldiery axe.

WolvenOne

We're most likely a month or more away from T9 win, so feel free to buy the soldiery axe.

Kinda hope we can get it down a bit sooner then that, since we'll be down to only a few weeks to farm the thing before 2.4 hits. At the same time though, eh, not like I have a lot more to spend it on, and the extra crit will be handy on T9, where I'm mostly just DPSing with a few rare instances of tanking.

Ken

Kinda hope we can get it down a bit sooner then that, since we'll be down to only a few weeks to farm the thing before 2.4 hits. At the same time though, eh, not like I have a lot more to spend it on, and the extra crit will be handy on T9, where I'm mostly just DPSing with a few rare instances of tanking.

time to whip riou into logging in more than 2 days a week it looks like!

Taruranto

The price of one of the items I was farming skyrocket by 50k, wow.

One other hand I hateeee when people undercut my clusters. I love-hate FFXIV economy!
Implying it has an economy.

BadRNG

I disagree.

With hunts, the point is basically, "Build enmity," and, "don't die." The only class where snap aggro is actually a good think is the tank, for every other role this sort of play style needs to be discouraged at all cost. So imagine people that hit endgame during this patch, if they've done most of their gearing up via hunts, they'll likely have developed some bad habits that may follow them around for awhile.

Besides that, dungeons and trials teach you things like, cool down management, mob management, and general environmental observation skills. The amount of skill you need to clear these hurdles may be somewhat low, but they're still good practice for newer players, and a good thing even for veterans to practice on every once in awhile.
Thanks to echo and the fact that most players you run into in DF outgear the content they are doing, it's not like new players are really learning much to begin with. Any half decent player will have learned the core of their class before 50, the ones that didn't aren't going to magically get better by blitizing through easy dungeons. In fact that is how they got to 50 in the first place. All those things you mentioned aren't actually needed anymore in 4mans, and most not even in 8man trials.

At this point I don't really care what they do to hunts, but this aversion to running dungeons, despite the ultimate objective being 8-man instanced raids, is really weird.
I'd enjoy 4mans more if they weren't so easy. I know big reason they are so easy is due to outgearing them, but that doesn't really change anything. Hunts also extremely easy, but they are also extremely quick so it balances out. Comparing 4man dungeons to the 8man content is a bit much though, they are so different in regards to what they ask of a player. And a lot more fun becasue of it.

It's a shame 4man "hard" modes are not actually hard, just regular 50 dungeons reusing maps. I'd love for a real hard mode option for 4mans, like WoW's Heroic mode kinda in BC.

Ken

Comparing 4man dungeons to the 8man content is a bit much though, they are so different in regards to what they ask of a player. And a lot more fun becasue of it.

I mainly brought it up for the social aspect (having to interact with other players to complete an objective) but yeah, the degree of it isn't on the level of the 8 man raids but it's still there.

As for dungeons being easy, I agree but I've definitely seen my share of players flopping at mechanics or DPS in the level 50 4-mans. I might be the only person here who has seen Haukke Manor HM hard enrage. ;_;

As for dungeons being easy, I agree but I've definitely seen my share of players flopping at mechanics or DPS in the level 50 4-mans. I might be the only person here who has seen Haukke Manor HM hard enrage. ;_;

Stuff seems to have gotten easier compared to even launch. Sure you could speedrun AK but the bosses had mechanics that could kill you if not explained/couldn't be handled by just the people that had been there before.

I mainly brought it up for the social aspect (having to interact with other players to complete an objective) but yeah, the degree of it isn't on the level of the 8 man raids but it's still there.

I saw it, I couldn't believe we got to that point...><

Oh and running out of ore on the last boss for HM Copperbell, good times.

Ken

Stuff seems to have gotten easier compared to even launch. Sure you could speedrun AK but the bosses had mechanics that could kill you if not explained/couldn't be handled by just the people that had been there before.

Yeah I think so too, but I still think it's valuable for players to have such a setting to practice their classes in, if not for raids then for CT2 or primals.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Lowering rewards for Hunts would be really stupid. Retaliating against the players for not playing the way the devs want them to would be as stupid as the hissy fit the XI crew threw when Ninja was turned into a tank job.

Raise the rewards elsewhere to make hunts less attractive. Add seals and more tombs to Coil runs. Hell, add them to CT runs. On the note of CT, greatly increase the oil drop rate (literally, every party should get one to lot on at the end).

And to help current hunt methods, toss a 5-10 minute invincibility buff to every hunt mob when it spawns.

Yeah I think so too, but I still think it's valuable for players to have such a setting to practice their classes in, if not for raids then for CT2 or primals.

Oh yeah I agree. Just would like it if they could find a way to do harder end 4 mans and somehow making it so that people don't just skip if it comes up in roulette. Got me how they would do that though.

BadRNG

Yeah, the social part is only thing I actually like about doing the dungeons. Most of the time though it's just so boring.

Me and kawa have seen it! Full gaf group, both the dps were barely minimum ilevel. Hadn't even done their 50 class quest yet. I had to go sword oath and kawa cleric for most of the fight to barely pull it off.

idk man. I was in a Garuda HM the other day with people who had hunt titles. We saw 4 sets of adds. ;-;
But did you wipe because of it? That's kinda what I mean, actually having all good dps isn't needed most of the time now. Not saying wipes never happen but it's a lot rarer. I do trials every day and even in Titan HM we one shot it the majority of the time.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, the social part is only thing I actually like about doing the dungeons. Most of the time though it's just so boring.

Me and kawa have seen it! Full gaf group, both the dps were barely minimum ilevel. Hadn't even done their 50 class quest yet. I had to go sword oath and kawa cleric for most of the fight to barely pull it off.

But did you wipe because of it? That's kinda what I mean, actually having all good dps isn't needed most of the time now. Not saying wipes never happen but it's a lot rarer. I do trials every day and even in Titan HM we one shot it the majority of the time.

Almost. I had to raise every dps and the healer at least once. Game is hard.

Ken

Oh yeah I agree. Just would like it if they could find a way to do harder end 4 mans and somehow making it so that people don't just skip if it comes up in roulette. Got me how they would do that though.

It'd probably have to be a mechanically heavy fight rather than gear dependent in order to let a higher percent of the population take part in it. I think pre-nerf Siren was a pretty good balance between gear and mechanics (although just a smidge bit too hard on undergeared healers). Players really had to respect the majority of the mechanics to not wipe.

also the HM HM hard enrage club is growing!!! (this is a shameful club don't join it)

I'd say the damage is done then. To dump it now would put players who haven't gotten there yet as a sever disadvantage.

It's funny since it is a self correcting error. When the next tier comes around they could adjust the reward equivalent for them then (if there will even be a hunt based reward equivalent) and not mess with something that has been working for months now. I guess we will see what happens though. The haters hating may have won the war after the opposing force has already occupied the territory and moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom