• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayhawk

Also while I wouldn't argue that a few points of parry will suddenly help you clear content, a parried or blocked attack can absolutely be the difference between a wipe or not in an individual encounter depending on the situation. Especially when you are learning a fight still.

Is there any data to see how much parry rate is affected by the parrying bonus from gear compared to just base parrying?

Noi

Those B marks still hurt solo, got killed by Stinging Sophie as BRD. Lesson learned, gonna solo them as SMN and call it a day.

Flame Sgt. Dalvaag was actually doing enough damage to reduce my HP at a decent clip as a Paladin, had to pull out my chocobo in order to outlast it.

Way more fun to fight those things now that we can actually experience whatever skills they can use.

WolvenOne

From what I've heard, each point in parry increases chance of parry by .075%

So at 500 Parry, there's roughly a 1 in 3 chance that every attack against you will be parried. At 620, roughly where I am when I'm fully stacking parry, chances are a little under fifty percent that each attack will be parried. Of course, just because there's a 50/50 chance of a parry, doesn't necessarily mean half of all attacks are going to be parried.

Additionally, by this count Parry is going to cease being a useful stat roughly around the time you stack 1300 of it. Since you'll be nearing 100% by then.

Additionally additionally, Parry counts for more on PLD's than for WAR's, because PLD's have Shield Block stats, which functions near identically and therefore serve to back it up and smooth it out.

BadRNG

Is there any data to see how much parry rate is affected by the parrying bonus from gear compared to just base parrying?
It's something like 13-14 parry per 1% extra rate from gear iirc. We don't know exact numbers yet. Given that you can get 200+ parry just from gear, that is a decent chunk of parry.

Additionally additionally, Parry counts for more on PLD's than for WAR's, because PLD's have Shield Block stats, which functions near identically and therefore serve to back it up and smooth it out.
Why do you say these things. If anything WAR gain more from parry, as it is there only other source of mitigation. Depending on type of shield parry can actually be LESS effective on PLD, as block rolls are done first, so a buckler will actually lower your overall parry rate due to the fact it never gets to the parry roll.

WolvenOne

It's something like 13-14 parry per 1% extra rate from gear iirc. We don't know exact numbers yet. Given that you can get 200+ parry just from gear, that is a decent chunk of parry.

Why do you say these things. If anything WAR gain more from parry, as it is there only other source of mitigation. Depending on type of shield parry can actually be LESS effective on PLD, as block rolls are done first, so a buckler will actually lower your overall parry rate due to the fact it never gets to the parry roll.

While Shield Blocks and Parries can go off at the same time, the mitigation can also stack, at least that's my experience from playing both classes. So basically, the Shield Block stats can not only reinforce parry, but also effectively act like additional parries, so the damage mitigation ends up being far more smoother on PLD.

BadRNG

While Shield Blocks and Parries can go off at the same time, the mitigation can also stack, at least that's my experience from playing both classes. So basically, the Shield Block stats can not only reinforce parry, but also effectively act like additional parries, so the damage mitigation ends up being far more smoother on PLD.
This is so wrong. Parry and block cannot happen at same time. They are separate rolls, with blocks being done first. If a block happens a parry cannot.

Even if they could stack, which would be crazy OP, parry would still be more important for WAR as again they have no other mitigation roll besides dodge.

Valor

If you do more damage, the enemy dies faster. Therefore, WAR should stack into damage so that they die faster so you can get hit less requiring less usages of Vengeance and other cooldowns so that you can Inner Beast all day every day.

If you do more damage, the enemy dies faster. Therefore, WAR should stack into damage so that they die faster so you can get hit less requiring less usages of Vengeance and other cooldowns so that you can Inner Beast all day every day.

that's thinking outside the box

Jayhawk

Same concept can be applied to healing! If healers do more damage, the enemy dies faster and tanks would require less healing.

WolvenOne

This is so wrong. Parry and block cannot happen at same time. They are separate rolls, with blocks being done first. If a block happens a parry cannot.

Even if they could stack, which would be crazy OP, parry would still be more important for WAR as again they have no other mitigation roll besides dodge.

First, I've seen, "Shield Block," and "Parry," pop up simultaneously in response to the same attacks before, so I wouldn't be too certain about that first point. Second, you seem to be making a semantic argument here. You're arguing that Parry is important for WAR, because it's the only secondary defense stat they have. I'm arguing that parry is more effective on PLD, because the same amount translates into far smoother damage mitigation than on WAR.

Rather, I'd say that parry is more essential for WAR, and more effective for PLD, seeing as that is far more specific terminology.

On the subject of DPS over damage mitigation, it depends largely on your role, and the nature of the fight. If you're main tanking, with very few exceptions survivability is going to trump your DPS output in terms of importance. If you're off tank, DPS output may end up being more important, but it really does depend on the fight. How many enemies will you be grabbing? How often? How hard do they hit? How much experience do the healers have with this fight?

In my experience, unless there's some severe DPS checks, the off tank is usually better off stacking for survivability. This is especially true while you're learning the fight.

studyguy

Indeed, this has been a staple since 1.0, though in that time a PLD literally would not be able to parry with a shield on. I'm of the opinion that they should have kept it that way. Edit, I feel like this whole issue is just a holdover from early 1.0 where Parries and Blocks were very, very different things initially. A parry having an extremely low chance but essentially nullifying a huge amount of damage to almost nil, that included magic ffs. It was so OP. Meanwhile Blocks happened often, but were at best roughly 25% up to 50% with some buffs on. That's obviously not the case anymore, they both work very differently, but all the same I wish they kept some semblance of the original effects. In ARR a parry and block are virtually the same thing now :/

Still, if a block and a parry happen to proc at the same time, a block will always override a parry without stacking. That's not even a question of if, it just does happen.

studyguy

I think clearly the solution is to run parties of 1 tank and 7 dps to kill the boss before it can kill the tank first!

It's funny but, throwing more DEEPS at an enemy is always a perfectly viable solution. The more phases you skip, the less work in the end.
Why bother having tanks and healers, right?

WolvenOne

It's funny but, throwing more DEEPS at an enemy is always a perfectly viable solution. The more phases you skip, the less work in the end.
Why bother having tanks and healers, right?

I know there's a lot of sarcasm here, but there are a lot of fights in this game where balls to the wall DPS can screw up phases and actually make things more difficult.

It's important to remember that.

studyguy

I know there's a lot of sarcasm here, but there are a lot of fights in this game where balls to the wall DPS can screw up phases and actually make things more difficult.

It's important to remember that.

More like SE can't keep up with the fact that Echo keeps breaking their instances. Levi EX being broken due to echo fucking up the shield triggers was a particularly bad one. Still, I suppose there are adjustments to be made for more DPS. Phase changes at inopportune times are the only real dangers.

Zomba13

The way I look at it with PLD is:
I Dodge the attack, no damage
I don't dodge, but I block, reduced damage (no parry)
I don't dodge, I don't block, but I do parry, reduced damage
I don't dodge, I don't block, I don't parry, full damage.

The more parry I have the less likely I'll take full damage from an attack. Yeah, the betetr a block rate on a shield the more likely I'll block and not even get to the parry roll but if I don't block then the more parry I have the more likely I'll take reduced damage. Like, the enemy has to break through three layers to do full damage (dodge, block and parry) and Parry is something I can get loads of and helps me avoid damage and stay alive longer.

BadRNG

First, I've seen, "Shield Block," and "Parry," pop up simultaneously in response to the same attacks before, so I wouldn't be too certain about that first point. Second, you seem to be making a semantic argument here. You're arguing that Parry is important for WAR, because it's the only secondary defense stat they have. I'm arguing that parry is more effective on PLD, because the same amount translates into far smoother damage mitigation than on WAR.

Rather, I'd say that parry is more essential for WAR, and more effective for PLD, seeing as that is far more specific terminology.
I am 100% certain on the first point, and if you have any proof otherwise please show it, but I imagine you will have a rough time finding any. What you probably saw was two attacks that happened close enough, like a boss special and an auto attack, and you parried/blocked one of each. That is not the same thing as them happening together on the same attack. Do you have any idea how overpowered it'd be if we actually could block/parry at the same time?

It's not really semantics. The fact that blocking also mitigates damage doesn't make parry anymore effective, and like I previously stated a high block rate actually makes parry LESS effective since it will happen less often. PLD have a far smoother damage intake thanks to blocking, but that doesn't have anything to do with the parry stat itself. You first stated that parry "counts for more" for PLD because of how it interacted with block, but that doesn't make any sense, it counts just as much for WAR if not more so. Point for point a point of parry won't be anymore effective for PLD, you are both parrying at the same amount at the same rate. Well not the exact same rate, as again block overrides parry, so a WAR will typically have an overall higher parry rate than a PLD.

Your argument is akin to saying the defense increase of gear is better for PLD because it combines with block for more mitigation.

studyguy

The way I look at it with PLD is:
I Dodge the attack, no damage
I don't dodge, but I block, reduced damage (no parry)
I don't dodge, I don't block, but I do parry, reduced damage
I don't dodge, I don't block, I don't parry, full damage.

And should you die after all that
you can blame the healer for being terrible :p
It's like every DF tank's last line of defense.

i'm glad that my thoughts on parry, as a skill speed bard, spawned all this wonderful discussion

giphy.gif

Frazley

FFXIV has saved me money. Today I resisted D3 and Sword Art Online! FFXIV already fills those voids for me!

Can't wait for personal housing so I can grow apples to make my chocobo red!

studyguy

FFXIV has saved me money. Today I resisted D3 and Sword Art Online! FFXIV already fills those voids for me!

Can't wait for personal housing so I can grow apples to make my chocobo red'

One could argue that if you never left your home aside from going to work and play XIV, it really just pays for itself.

Frazley

One could argue that if you never left your home aside from going to work and play XIV, it really just pays for itself.
Then I would miss free popcorn night! :(

It is one of my all-time favorite games! My entertainment consists usually of Netflix and FFXIV.

Sophia

"I can't; I'm doing daily quests" is one of those things I never thought I'd hear myself say, but these crafting dailies are addicting.

WolvenOne

I am 100% certain on the first point, and if you have any proof otherwise please show it, but I imagine you will have a rough time finding any. What you probably saw was two attacks that happened close enough, like a boss special and an auto attack, and you parried/blocked one of each. That is not the same thing as them happening together on the same attack. Do you have any idea how overpowered it'd be if we actually could block/parry at the same time?

It's not really semantics. The fact that blocking also mitigates damage doesn't make parry anymore effective, and like I previously stated a high block rate actually makes parry LESS effective since it will happen less often. PLD have a far smoother damage intake thanks to blocking, but that doesn't have anything to do with the parry stat itself. You first stated that parry "counts for more" for PLD because of how it interacted with block, but that doesn't make any sense, it counts just as much for WAR if not more so. Point for point a point of parry won't be anymore effective for PLD, you are both parrying at the same amount at the same rate. Well not the exact same rate, as again block overrides parry, so a WAR will typically have an overall higher parry rate than a PLD.

Your argument is akin to saying the defense increase of gear is better for PLD because it combines with block for more mitigation.

Because of Shield Block, and the 20% Defense buff of Shield Oath, defense stats are always going to theoretically result in higher max mitigation on PLD's than WAR. Is Parry more vital for a WAR, yes of course, it's all they have, but you'll still mitigate more on a PLD with the same amount of parry.

Anyhow, yes an auto-attack could hit at the same time and trigger both mitigation rolls. If that's the case though, it happens quite a lot of PLD.

WolvenOne

I'll have to try the new dailies when I get home. Not really big on crafting but, maybe I'll give it another go.

Still need to finish the Sylph and Sahagin dailies. <_<;;

I'll have to try the new dailies when I get home. Not really big on crafting but, maybe I'll give it another go.

Still need to finish the Sylph and Sahagin dailies. <_<;;

Can someone explain how they work? They said you didn't need your crafters leveled, but I have them all at 50, so can I take advantage of that? Is it just crafting regular items or are they new items specifically for those quests?

If we could make money HQing those items with our cratfers it would be great. Some classes are really shitty to make money with (CUL I'm looking at you). The only reason I melded CUL was to get the Artisan Spectacles and then get more for desynth, but man it's impossible to make a profit with food.

IMBored

Can someone explain how they work? They said you didn't need your crafters leveled, but I have them all at 50, so can I take advantage of that? Is it just crafting regular items or are they new items specifically for those quests?

If we could make money HQing those items with our cratfers it would be great. Some classes are really shitty to make money with (CUL I'm looking at you). The only reason I melded CUL was to get the Artisan Spectacles and then get more for desynth, but man it's impossible to make a profit with food.

There are specific items that you'll need to make at certain places, with materials given to you, no HQ and untradable, because you'll do them only for the quest.

There are also provisions, like GC, where you'll get a quota to fill, if you delivery HQ you'll get more exp for the class but that's it. The max level needed I think is 7 according to the patch notes.

There are specific items that you'll need to make at certain places, with materials given to you, no HQ and untradable, because you'll do them only for the quest.

There are also provisions, like GC, where you'll get a quota to fill, if you delivery HQ you'll get more exp for the class but that's it. The max level needed I think is 7 according to the patch notes.

Thanks. That's a little disappointing, though I doubt you could HQ anything reliably at lvl 7, so there might be potential for profit on those turn ins. Assuming they can be traded of course.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How did the Full-GAF ST run earlier turn out anyway, or did it never take off?

Sophia

I don't think I can motivate myself to do the new beastmen dailies, even if they don't seem difficult.

They're a total joke and they're much better than normal dailies by virtue of being doable regardless of crafting level.

I did all of them. And I hate dailies. With a passion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom