• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Takeaways from this weekend:

- Titan EX is still a jerk and it's still really satisfying to kill him.

- Rot passing really is stupidly easy with echo and even DF groups should be able to pull it off.

- GAF T5 is hilarious. Also 3 monks can pretty much melt stuff.

- Listening to people on Mumble is weird. You all sound so... Normal.

- Rot passing really is stupidly easy with echo and even DF groups should be able to pull it off.

welcome to the Illuminati

Frumix

Suffering From Success
6mc8zA9.png

As usual, all you have to do is complain a few times online.
Man.

docbon

-Lorde Doome is in fact, not too fat to carry.

Last night I just got caught up with crafting and went down a rabbit hole.....trying to master Leatherworker. Trying to penta-meld i55 shirt. BOOM! 400k gone at 4th materia...just like that D:

Look like I should have stayed with leveling miner instead.

studyguy

I haven't done Tidus in months.
Do people still wipe as hard as they used to on it?
Feel like i100+ gear would be blowing the dude up before most phases occur.

Wait there's a slime king minion coming??

Do you mean EX Titan or HM? Because HM Titan has gotten progressively worse now. You'll clear it but a good chunk of the party will be dead, usually early on.

Went to Distant Worlds last night in Chicago and got to hear Susan Calloway perform Answers live. Was pretty amazing to hear it that way. Plus they did a set of songs from FFVI so I got to hear Battle on the Big Bridge too. Was an amazing show!

dark_chris

Went to Distant Worlds last night in Chicago and got to hear Susan Calloway perform Answers live. Was pretty amazing to hear it that way. Plus they did a set of songs from FFVI so I got to hear Battle on the Big Bridge too. Was an amazing show!

I went too with a friend and the music was amazing. My friend started crying when she heard Eyes on Me though. haha.

iammeiam

Titan EX will continue to wreck until they either noticeably increase his cast times or reduce the knockback from landslide/damage from stacked weights. Echo/iLevel helps speed up phase pushes, but that stuff is still around and deadly. Phase pushes being inconsistent on such a pattern-based fight also screws things up because he'll, say, do double gaol and immediately jump and it throws everyone off for a moment.

He's probably easier in a lot of ways, but he still slaughters parties.

lordxar

Titan EX will continue to wreck until they either noticeably increase his cast times or reduce the knockback from landslide/damage from stacked weights. Echo/iLevel helps speed up phase pushes, but that stuff is still around and deadly. Phase pushes being inconsistent on such a pattern-based fight also screws things up because he'll, say, do double gaol and immediately jump and it throws everyone off for a moment.

He's probably easier in a lot of ways, but he still slaughters parties.

Echo doesn't really in help in Titan a whole lot imo. Maybe in heart phase or at the end where your just burning him. Otherwise jumping past phases sucks. Honestly I'd like to see them reduce the size of the plumes. That's probably the best thing they can do to nerf the fight. If any lag hits at all your basically dead in a plume stack and for some reason lag hits often on Titan. I fought him a lot to get my kill and lag was just terrible at times. Too often I'd be in a good party that just couldn't get it because someone lagged out during plumes which takes healers off their job to rez and starts a bad chain reaction. Hell I watched someone get landslid in HM the other day and he was well out of the way of it. Still baffled at that one.

Echo doesn't really in help in Titan a whole lot imo. Maybe in heart phase or at the end where your just burning him. Otherwise jumping past phases sucks. Honestly I'd like to see them reduce the size of the plumes. That's probably the best thing they can do to nerf the fight. If any lag hits at all your basically dead in a plume stack and for some reason lag hits often on Titan. I fought him a lot to get my kill and lag was just terrible at times. Too often I'd be in a good party that just couldn't get it because someone lagged out during plumes which takes healers off their job to rez and starts a bad chain reaction. Hell I watched someone get landslid in HM the other day and he was well out of the way of it. Still baffled at that one.

The thing with Titan EX is that the fight would be fine if this game didn't suffer from such crippling issues with its client side prediction, netcode, server infrastructure, location of the NA/EU servers which results in awful backbone congestion, peering issues with Squenix's providers, etc. I have never played an MMO as unresponsive as this one and the strict timing required for Titan EX exposes all the technical failings that undermine the game experience.

It's amazing just how many different Internet service providers have issues with this game and no others, like Verizon FiOS, Cox Communications, Time Warner Cable, etc. I actually feel lucky that Comcast actually has few problems with this game, a rarity that any Comcast subscriber can attest to.

If you lag on a landslide it's much worse though. You're out of the fight for good. If you're a healer or tank it's a wipe.

I went too with a friend and the music was amazing. My friend started crying when she heard Eyes on Me though. haha.

My wife did the same when To Zanarkand started playing. She can play that on the piano and hearing it live like that was too much for her.

The Pipe Organ part though was my favorite piece, I was in the top gallery and it was just so incredible sounding.

Yeah, that's the reason I never want to do Titan ever again. I know its rotations and I know when the plume is coming but I just can't dodge it even though my internet status is excellent. Hell I can't even dodge Acid Rain from T6 from time to time for the same reason.

Yeah, that's the reason I never want to do Titan ever again. I know its rotations and I know when the plume is coming but I just can't dodge it even though my internet status is excellent. Hell I can't even dodge Acid Rain from T6 from time to time for the same reason.

Related to this, is there any way you can tell your ping on PS4? I know I'm consistently lagged, but I'm sure sometimes it's worse than others and I'd like to try these fights when my connection is at its "best".

iammeiam

I know Levi EX gets shit for being too easy, but I feel like his dodge windows better line up with what the game is capable of supporting. Grand Fall seems about the same size as Weights, but I always know when I'm going to end up eating one whereas with Weights I'll die to ones I was sure I dodged while surviving ones I felt like I started late on unscathed. And Levi's dives and slams can take you out of commission permanently, but the dodge window is much much more forgiving and if I have an issue with rubberbanding I can still usually successfully dodge.

Titan is exciting and tense when connection conditions are good and consistent, but this game has way too much going against connections for that to work.

I sympathize with those who have latency issues, but Square Enix please never change Titan EX. Or at least leave the option to fight the original version if you do nerf it.

WolvenOne

I still maintain that increasing the cast time of Plumes by 1.5 seconds would be a subtle, hard to notice nerf, that'd regardless make it far easier for new groups to clear the fight.

Just my 2 cents tho.

WolvenOne

So, I have a question for those that regularly or semi-regularly pug T8. Do pug groups normally use Mumble or whatnot for T8 now? My impression that each group has slightly different timing for towers, so I'm not certain how coordination would be handled without something like mumble.

Doesn't help that T8 is the turn I've struggled with the most, mind you.

dramatis

Shame they can't schedule things like that for, in the middle of the night, or early morning, or whatnot.
They scheduled it during what is commonly known as work time for most people. What's wrong with that?

The people who do the maintenance, should they have to do maintenance in the early morning/middle of the night instead of during work time when technically the least amount of population would be playing?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So, I have a question for those that regularly or semi-regularly pug T8. Do pug groups normally use Mumble or whatnot for T8 now? My impression that each group has slightly different timing for towers, so I'm not certain how coordination would be handled without something like mumble.

Doesn't help that T8 is the turn I've struggled with the most, mind you.

You just assign tower teams beforehand and put 1-2-3 priority system for ballistics?
I mean, the script is the same every time unlike in Savage so assuming everybody knows what's going on there should be no need for on the spot adjustments.

WolvenOne

Seems like pugs have stopped requiring VoIP for T6. Usually required for 7+ though.

Sounds about right. As nightmarish as T6 was early on, it becomes a heck of a lot easier once you've beaten it once or twice, and at that point you probably don't need much in terms of communication. T7+ though, yeah, I think you could maybe get through T7 without it, if everyone was really on the ball, but that'd be hecka iffy.

Mind you, still not certain I want to go the pug route, just, not certain what I'm going to do yet, and I'd hate to stand still while I'm making up my mind.

Teknoman

Man the art of a party fighting a Behemoth on the ARR OST is great. It looks sorta Amanoish even though I know it was Yoshida.

EDIT: I'm surprised XIV doesnt naturally support headset communication if the later turns require that much on the fly coordination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom