• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably gonna jump back to pc when i make a pc build still using a pad though. Just want to know if I match the recommended setting for the game or slightly exceed it will it run the game at max setting with 60 fps or more? Just wanted to know so I can make this pc as cheap as possible. I'm gonna get Diablo 3 for pc too but I believe it's less demanding than this game.

I'm probably gonna jump back to pc when i make a pc build still using a pad though. Just want to know if I match the recommended setting for the game or slightly exceed it will it run the game at max setting with 60 fps or more? Just wanted to know so I can make this pc as cheap as possible. I'm gonna get Diablo 3 for pc too but I believe it's less demanding than this game.
I've got an i5 at 3.2Ghz, and an overclocked GTX 760, which I'd consider to be exceeding the recommended spec by a bit, and I usually get 40-60fps at 1080p. And the dips are only really in towns when I pan the camera over to a huge group of people, but after that it goes back to 60(ish). Then again I have occlusion culling on, so it might be more consistent with it off. I didn't notice any dips in the late-game trials or dungeons with full parties either, so...

WolvenOne

Okay, better make this official. I'm currently without a group. I won't go into details on the matter here.

I can pug it out for awhile until I find another group, but I really don't want to pug it long term, especially with 2.4 looming on the horizon. While I'm not a perfect player, I have been in one shots of T6, 7, and 8, and have been up to golems in T9; furthermore I am willing to put the time and effort into improving if I am found lacking. I'm an ilvl108 WAR, both with Tank Accessories and DPS accessories, and I have DRG upto 104, though admittedly I'm far less practiced in that class.

Mainly just looking for people who are good with a relaxed atmosphere, but are willing to put a decent amount of practice in on material they haven't yet cleared. Also, I promise to lay off the puns while raiding, really.

One final note in my favor...

TOMdoPr.png

I, look FABULOUS!

PS: Yes, I am a doofus, consider yourself warned.

Robin64

Some thoughts from a new player who just hit 49 and feels like the main scenario will be, sadly, over soon. (It's not though, is it?)

Initially I was sceptical of mandatory dungeons through the levelling process. I was in the position before where I thought they should be entirely optional. I think I may have changed my mind on that, though. I came from WoW, where normal dungeons are nothing more than a boring mindless AoE blitz, and I guess I expected the same. Very happy to see I was wrong, with tanks marking the order enemies need to die in, everyone being very friendly and just a generally GREAT environment. I'll not confuse "FFXIV dungeons" with "WoW dungeons" again.

The story is better than most MMOs I have played. It feels like I'm playing a "legit" Final Fantasy entry (and I guess because it was allocated a number, I am) with all the events and twists that brings. Kudos to Square on that front for mixing FF with MMO so well. (My experience of XI was "get to level 5, realise I hate it", so I can't say if that did it so well or not)

Why people are all crowding in low level zones and then shouting obscenities at each other is currently a mystery to me, other than the fact I know it's associated with Hunts. Can't we play nice with these?

Zomba13

Some thoughts from a new player who just hit 49 and feels like the main scenario will be, sadly, over soon. (It's not though, is it?)

Initially I was sceptical of mandatory dungeons through the levelling process. I was in the position before where I thought they should be entirely optional. I think I may have changed my mind on that, though. I came from WoW, where normal dungeons are nothing more than a boring mindless AoE blitz, and I guess I expected the same. Very happy to see I was wrong, with tanks marking the order enemies need to die in, everyone being very friendly and just a generally GREAT environment. I'll not confuse "FFXIV dungeons" with "WoW dungeons" again.

The story is better than most MMOs I have played. It feels like I'm playing a "legit" Final Fantasy entry (and I guess because it was allocated a number, I am) with all the events and twists that brings. Kudos to Square on that front for mixing FF with MMO so well. (My experience of XI was "get to level 5, realise I hate it", so I can't say if that did it so well or not)

Why people are all crowding in low level zones and then shouting obscenities at each other is currently a mystery to me, other than the fact I know it's associated with Hunts. Can't we play nice with these?

There are 2 dungeons at 50 as part of 2.0 then a bunch more to get up to the end of the current patch (with 3 more bosses I think). Make sure to do the Hildibrand sidequests. They are very funny and have a great (though super easy) boss fight.

The shouting is due to hunts and sadly, with the way they are implemented now (especially since the hunt change didn't do much to stop it) the shouting will continue.

I completely know what you mean with WoW dungeons and FFXIV dungeons. I recently went back to WoW for a bit (for like, 2 weeks free time somehow when trying to reactivate my account) after watching Dan from Giant Bomb play WoW for his first time and the dungeons there are just so boring. Everything dies super fast, all you do is AoE. You just run though and gather things and kill then down a boss then on to the next. At least here there is some strategy (especially with the bosses) and even when speed running it requires some skill if dealing with locking out mobs (though most people just hunt now instead of grind brayflox HM for seals).

WolvenOne

The original 2.0 main scenario should end for you in, 5 to 10 hours, depending on how quickly you get through the remaining level, and assuming you plowed through your final job quest.

However, the main storyline has been extended with each patch, anywhere from 3 to 6 hours for each patch, depending on the specific patch and how quick you are. Between the two you have a decent chunk of the main storyline left. Additionally, you have a truly vast amount of optional story lines and content, and I doubt you'll be anywhere near through with it all once patch 2.4 comes out.

Do be aware however, that the game does become more demanding once you hit fifty, and that can affect peoples attitudes. The people you hear shouting are, mostly just trolls, but they're also the sort of people most likely to give you grief during endgame content. I don't want to oversell this though, despite how vocal they are on content such as hunts, the bulk of the community is quite amicable. :)

PS: As much as a pain it is, I highly suggest trying to put together a premade for the last major 2.0 dungeon, Preatorium. DF groups tend to rush through it and skip cutscenes, which bites for first time players. At the very least, try to recruit two tanks that'll be willing to hold up the rest of the party so you can go through the cutscenes, seeing as most groups won't try a thing without at least one tank there to back them up.

Robin64

But wow, Cape Westwind sucks for queue times. Several hours in this queue where nothing before it was over ten minutes. Is it just not part of a Roulette?

Orcastar

But wow, Cape Westwind sucks for queue times. Several hours in this queue where nothing before it was over ten minutes. Is it just not part of a Roulette?

I just got to lvl 50 and finished the 2.0 main scenario a few days ago and noticed a definite bump in queue times with Cape Westwind and the following story dungeons. It's probably because they're full party dungeons with no loot. And yes, they're not part of the low lvl roulette.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Westwind should've been on Main Scenario roulette.
It's on Low Level instead because... reasons?

oh my god, good king slam, good king jam

Lord of all the dunks

come on and slam and welcome to the jam kupo

Brave a wall of ballers to dunk the hoop

Tiops

Went through Labyrinth of the Ancients for the first time yesterday, and I'm always impressed on how friendly the community in this game is.

One of the alliances was messing up hard (we wiped on Bone Dragon, wiped twice on Atomos, wiped on King Behemot) and no one got mad. People just gave hints and asked for attention to some mechanics, even though we took more time than normal to beat it.

Even in the controverse Hunts you don't see a lot of rage. There's some "???? everyone" or "idiots", but I didn't see anyone fucking other people's mothers or wishing that someone die or get some disease, like you see in other multiplayer games.

Ken

Went through Labyrinth of the Ancients for the first time yesterday, and I'm always impressed on how friendly the community in this game is.

One of the alliances was messing up hard (we wiped on Bone Dragon, wiped twice on Atomos, wiped on King Behemot) and no one got mad. People just gave hints and asked for attention to some mechanics, even though we took more time than normal to beat it.

Even in the controverse Hunts you don't see a lot of rage. There's some "???? everyone" or "idiots", but I didn't see anyone fucking other people's mothers or wishing that someone die or get some disease, like you see in other multiplayer games.

i52Sb3bgJY3K8.png

Ken

He's kidding. DRG isn't really in that high of demand.

That disembowel though.

Honestly though it's kind of hard to gauge job demand just going by Party Finders. Aside from players that can kite T7 there's not a single job that's being requested for specifically I feel.

Had a nice surprise when I was looking at the Lodestone and saw that I suddenly hit #24 for the Ultros GC weekly rankings, jumping in out of nowhere. I didn't even place in the rankings last week.

I guess this is probably because I levelled alchemist and got the magic combination of skills that makes it super easy to HQ two-star recipes and got my Artisan's Spectacles. I've been crafting pretty much 90% of the time I'm not in Coil and getting really great results, and I guess it's my new obsession now. I didn't expect it to be so rewarding once you get closer to having all crafts levelled. I've only got ARM and LTW left, will probably do ARM first for Piece by Piece.

Also turning in myth gear for potash/engineering manual seals certainly helps for the GC score, I guess.

I've got to the point where I can reliably make HQ silver brocades and spicy tomato relish, so I'm going to be working towards my Artisan's Needle while blowing up Artisan's Spectacles to see what's inside now. Gulp. (So far I've successfully desynthed one pair at 56% odds for a nugget. Guess I need to start blowing up Darklight.)

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Piece by Piece is garbage when you already have Ingenuity 2 and CS 2.
Read the tooltip again, it says remaining progress.
Waste Not 2 is a better reward.

I hate armorer, really. Very annoying leveling process and those leves are just ugghh. Thank Yoship for Ixali allowing me to cut ARM out of leve grinding process entirely.

I hate armorer, really. Very annoying leveling process and those leves are just ugghh. Thank Yoship for Ixali allowing me to cut ARM out of leve grinding process entirely.

A lot of what I've been reading about three-star crafting pushes Piece by Piece pretty heavily to get an initial 33% progress, particularly for three-star furniture. At any rate, it's not like I'm choosing one and skipping the other. Thanks for suggesting I can't read, though.

As for ARM leves, I'm just going to lazymode it and do the ingot leves, cranking out HQ ingots on my BSM.

IvorB

Okay, better make this official. I'm currently without a group. I won't go into details on the matter here.

I can pug it out for awhile until I find another group, but I really don't want to pug it long term, especially with 2.4 looming on the horizon. While I'm not a perfect player, I have been in one shots of T6, 7, and 8, and have been up to golems in T9; furthermore I am willing to put the time and effort into improving if I am found lacking. I'm an ilvl108 WAR, both with Tank Accessories and DPS accessories, and I have DRG upto 104, though admittedly I'm far less practiced in that class.

Mainly just looking for people who are good with a relaxed atmosphere, but are willing to put a decent amount of practice in on material they haven't yet cleared. Also, I promise to lay off the puns while raiding, really.

One final note in my favor...

I, look FABULOUS!

PS: Yes, I am a doofus, consider yourself warned.

Aw... what happened to your little group? I smell drama here... Please explain.

You do look great. I don't have a group to offer you but maybe we can get married. :)

I've got an i5 at 3.2Ghz, and an overclocked GTX 760, which I'd consider to be exceeding the recommended spec by a bit, and I usually get 40-60fps at 1080p. And the dips are only really in towns when I pan the camera over to a huge group of people, but after that it goes back to 60(ish). Then again I have occlusion culling on, so it might be more consistent with it off. I didn't notice any dips in the late-game trials or dungeons with full parties either, so...

I'm getting an i7 4770k and a gtx 770 or 780 so I hope it's enough I'm really only asking for 60+ fps in instance mainly coil, frontlines and 24 mans. I can take A and S ranks dipping down a little but not below 30 fps

scy

As someone else who is also new, I'd say my experience matches this for the most part. I've had a few groups that just mass pulled and AoE'd things down but it was usually a pre-made Tank+BLM doing their daily or something and got Tam-Tara or Copperbell. I will say that a lot of groups want to just go through them as fast as possible otherwise, though. Then again, I can't say if that's the case for Brayflox and beyond since the early dungeons have a lot of potion chests instead of loot ones...

orion434

Piece by Piece is essential if you plan to delve into 3* Crafts and want to HQ'em. Leveling Armorer wasn't so bad, Alchemist was worse for me.

Frazley

Yoshida said he used to main a Paladin and he would have to leave parties due to an emergency call! Now I know why on my DF the tank left suddenly before the final boss! :p

Piece by Piece is essential if you plan to delve into 3* Crafts and want to HQ'em. Leveling Armorer wasn't so bad, Alchemist was worse for me.

Yeah, Piece by Piece is a necessity once you start doing three star stuff. You can pop Ingenuity II (assumed with Careful Synth II) on some of the 1424 stuff and still only get less than 10% progress.

PbP is only really useful for 3 star synths. Those are 400+ progress and ingen 2 and cS2 only get you 75ish tops. PbP is critical if you want to HQ.

Edit: this thread is a perfect example of waiting till you read the whole page before replying.

orion434

Anyone have experience with Choco coloring? I tried to get Hunter Green, followed the spreadsheet and got Bark Brown, then I lightened Green and got Regal Purple?!

What should I do at this point to try to get Hunter Green? Should I start over?

piece by piece is very useful for 3 star crafts. you won't go anywhere blah blah :p

this reminds me, i still want to craft that throne. shouldn't be problem to place into your personal room, right? i have all the mats.

DrDogg

Does anyone else feel Paladin needs a buff?

When it comes to holding hate on a group of mobs, PLD only has Flash (which gets resisted over time). Meanwhile, WAR has Steel Cyclone and Overpower, which can't be resisted, AND the ability to use Flash.

Tanking a group of mobs on WAR is pretty easy in almost any situation. Tanking that same group on PLD is difficult. I find myself having to switch mobs mid-combo in a failed attempt to manage hate on all mobs against AoE BLMs and the like.On WAR, I just use Overpower a couple more times and keep an eye on my TP.

I don't see many other people mention this issue, but it seems clear as day to me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Flash doesn't get resisted. They may resist the Blind debuff but the enmity is fully applied. Also you forgot about Circle of Scorn.

If I'm doing a speed run or a huge pull or whatever, I don't even bother doing combos. I just hit Flash until they're dead or my MP pool is drained.

When it comes to holding hate on a group of mobs, PLD only has Flash (which gets resisted over time). Meanwhile, WAR has Steel Cyclone and Overpower, which can't be resisted, AND the ability to use Flash.

Tanking a group of mobs on WAR is pretty easy in almost any situation. Tanking that same group on PLD is difficult. I find myself having to switch mobs mid-combo in a failed attempt to manage hate on all mobs against AoE BLMs and the like.On WAR, I just use Overpower a couple more times and keep an eye on my TP.

I don't see many other people mention this issue, but it seems clear as day to me.

it's already known that warriors have better snap aggro. When you're aoe tanking w/ pld are you spamming flash till your mana is pretty much empty? You don't want to use your combo very much when aoe tanking (just the mana combo after a while). Flash always generates the same amt of aggro (the blind is all that is resisted). Also Circle of Scorn is pretty useful too. Another thing is what weapon you're using, if you have a low level weapon you aren't going to hold threat against someone with a higher level weapon.

Tabris

One issue with PLD AOE though is they can't do any actual damage (except the little Circle of Scorn does). Every other job in the game can AOE damage on GCD except PLD, and it's a huge issue for things like the Alexandrite Map that spawns the 30 mobs (15 at a time). That's the only one I wiped to.

Noi

Don't use the Halone combo on a single target. Spread the hate around by using Fast Blade and Savage Blade on one target, then RoH on another. Make liberal use of flash in between combos. Start pulls with Fight of Flight for increased enmity.

I've never had issues tanking mob groups as a PLD main.

Alchemist is the easiest if you can spare the leves. Just turn NQ potions, which cost like 10 gil, even the high level stuff is super cheap NQ.

That is key though. And most DPS in dungeons gotta go fast, fast, fast, so you can't really use Overpower all that much, since no one will wait for your TP to regen between pulls. In the end as a WAR you still have to split your combo between mobs. Steel Cyclone is awesome though. Feel free to abuse that.

Robin64

Haha. Finally got into Cape Westwind where a tank said "Wtf why isit westwind" and left. God damn. Hope he gets a penalty of some kind for that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom