• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there a reason why SE decided to give all the races new names when they're clearly 1:1 transplants from FFXI? The game borrows so much from other FF games I was surprised to find out that all the race names are different from FFXI.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Jolly good. I noticed that the price of coke was tanking from undercutters (it was kissing 5k gil) on Ultros so went and bought up everything on the MB and reset the price to 10k. Happy times are here again (for people selling it, buyers not so much I suppose). Made a nice profit to boot. =D

Teknoman

Taru Forever! Lala Never!

ff9-trading-artsb.jpg

I forgot his name, but that Taru from Wings of the Goddess was awesome.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Lancers/Dragoons have a "faster" skillset than GLD/PLD because they have more abilities to fit in between GCDs. Outside of I think two offensive abilities, Paladins usually wait around for the next GCD most of the time (sans defensive CDs). The overall DRG rotation is kind of static and strict though so it might be boring. Monks have lower GCD timers because of Greased Lightning and slightly more flexible rotations so that might be more interesting to you?

FFXIV Paladins (the advanced job that stems from the Gladiator class) are possibly the most boring class in the entire genre right now, I have some issues with XIV class design but Paladin is just the most simplistic thing out there since at least TBC's Beastmastery Hunter. For your tastes and the issues with a sluggish GCD, you might want to consider Monk (Pugilist), actually.

Sweet, thanks for the feedback. I'll give Lancer a try than. Worst case scenario I just get one of the other classes up to scratch.

Alex

Sweet, thanks for the feedback. I'll give Monk a try. Did not actually know Monk's could tank :S

Oh I am sorry, it can't tank.I figured you were ok with tank or DPS by the mention of Dragoon. Dragoon can't tank either, by the way.

The tanks are Warrior and Paladin, currently. The current iteration of Warrior, to me, is actually one of my favorite tanks from the genre. I've tanked in a lot of MMOs and Warrior really gets it right for my tastes, it came so far from it's original design. Paladin is quite fine from a balance standpoint but again, it's just extremely uninteresting in terms of mechanics and pacing.

Man, thinking back, that Warrior re-do still blows me away, I still can't believe that shit came from the same company that maintained FFXI.

Oh, it can't, I figured you were ok with tank or DPS by the mention of Dragoon. Dragoon can't tank either, by the way.

The tanks are Warrior and Paladin, currently. Personally, I strongly suggest Warrior. In terms of balance, both are fine but I just really find Paladin to be one of the least mechanically interesting classes in the genre. I've tanked in a lot of MMOs and I really enjoy Warriors design. It was also one of the biggest 180s I've seen in terms of sudden design changes I've seen back when they originally fixed it fairly close to launch. Went from completely busted to brilliant. It's a pass I hope every other class can get when the expansion comes around, clean up the chaff, increase QOL, make things more dynamic, etc.

Really, that Warrior re-do still blows me away, I still can't believe that shit came from the same company that maintained FFXI.

Different team from the FFXI people, and Yoshi is not Tanaka.

Alex

Different team from the FFXI people, and Yoshi is not Tanaka.

I'm aware, but still, it'd be like playing a Blizzard game and finding a fun, unintended niche in it and NOT having it patched out with 48 hours. Even by XIV's own standards that Warrior tune-up was entirely freaky, especially considering they were downplaying it prior and also how little they've done to glaring issues on other classes since then (and how completely silly the BLM changes were).

Is there a reason why SE decided to give all the races new names when they're clearly 1:1 transplants from FFXI? The game borrows so much from other FF games I was surprised to find out that all the race names are different from FFXI.

They aren't exactly the same and there are enough differences for them to have different names.

Kenai

They are similar but not exactly the same. Not just lore, but minor aesthetic differences (and a few major I guess too, like tail-less/female Roes and Highlander Hyurs and such).

It was probably just easier to make them similar but different races, different enough to not be tied to anything from the previous game but similar enough so there didn't need to be a whole lot of rocket science involved in the current race aesthetics.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wonder if the Devs are going through Ninja with a fine toothed comb....

"OK, we're sure you can't take with this job?"

"Did everyone try tanking with Ninja and fail terribly?"

"What if they turn it into a tank again?"

Besides we all know Mi'qote>Mithra anyways

Apostrophes are stupid.

3zQK1tu.png

She's a Mithra, and I'll not hear otherwise.

don't think i can get a full det/crit set for my relic.

came back to due to the free login weekend and spent most of the time grinding for alexandrites, about 3 a day. reached the tier 4 section and now im screwed.

tried to convert ilvl90 cashmere gloves of casting and it turns into a level 3 materia (wtf i thought it was guaranteed to be tier 4). bought the gloves again for vanity.

later i bought a bunch of gear to spirit bond but i got bored after 2 hours and ended up with a bunch of tier 3 materias that sell for 2k.

and now i decided to buy goldsmith AF set then later decided to get most of the crafting class to class to 50 which i can quickly accomplish just by buying all the levequest turn ins from the AH. used to make a living off selling cashmere fleeces but now it's selling for 8k when it used it sell for 70k. good game, undercutters, good game...

Besides we all know Mi'qote>Mithra anyways

Yup

I'm aware, but still, it'd be like playing a Blizzard game and finding a fun, unintended niche in it and NOT having it patched out with 48 hours. Even by XIV's own standards that Warrior tune-up was entirely freaky, especially considering they were downplaying it prior and also how little they've done to glaring issues on other classes since then (and how completely silly the BLM changes were).

I don't have any issues with the BLM changes at all.

But what they did to WAR was indeed wonderful, I'm glad I wasn't forced to play PLD forever.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
They aren't exactly the same and there are enough differences for them to have different names.

They...are pretty much the same. But worse. Everyone is Hume. Mid sized Humes. Big Humes. Galka-like Humes. Cat Humes. Taru Humes. And Elvaan who are pretty much unchanged.

They work, but they all now look the same. Which is a shame. The Eorzea races are downgrades overall.

WolvenOne

Okay, I feel really stupid here, but who was it in Mumble that invited me to Coil tomorrow? And it's 7pm in what timezone?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I figured it out.

Robin64

Finished the main scenario!

Those final two dungeons were rather crazy, everyone in there was just rushing through. I had trouble just keeping up with the pace! But it all worked out in the end and was just really fun.

Started on the Hildebrand quests and they're pretty fun. Guessing this weapon thief is going to be Gilgamesh. Please tell me he's a boss and has THAT music.

Orcastar

Finished the main scenario!

Those final two dungeons were rather crazy, everyone in there was just rushing through. I had trouble just keeping up with the pace! But it all worked out in the end and was just really fun.

Started on the Hildebrand quests and they're pretty fun. Guessing this weapon thief is going to be Gilgamesh. Please tell me he's a boss and has THAT music.

My experience from about a week ago was largely the same. People ran past a ton of mobs in the final dungeon. I got left behind on several occasions watching the cutscenes while everyone else was just rushing forward. I actually missed the entire final boss fight because I was watching the previous cutscene...

Moaradin

Sucks for people doing those story based dungeons this late in the game. They really should have an option to let you group with people doing it for the first time.

Robin64

Even doing it for the first time, I was glad of the queue time (about 4 mins) and would happily take that over experiencing with other new players.

I remember my first Prae run, got left behind by the speedrunners a lot but they wiped on several bosses since i was the other healer so i got the last laugh.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
My first of Prae had me missing the Magitek ride because of the ONLY instance in the game where every member in the party had to interact with a thing.
Prae is just not a very well thought out design and they probably never looked back at it after it was done for 2.0 launch.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
They...are pretty much the same. But worse. Everyone is Hume. Mid sized Humes. Big Humes. Galka-like Humes. Cat Humes. Taru Humes. And Elvaan who are pretty much unchanged.

They work, but they all now look the same. Which is a shame. The Eorzea races are downgrades overall.

Even the XI races are barely different, from what I've seen, from the Hume source; give me a giant squid dude or a Burmecian or a mammet or a an Ixali or anything. I already play a human (debatedly) in real life!

What we'll actually get is a Miqo'te retexture with scales.

(No seriously, let me play a mammet, it would be like a Lalafell but good).

Orcastar

What's the point of the Odin fight? I managed to participate in the FATE a few days ago and got a gold medal for my contribution despite being item level 47 or something at the time. With all the players there, I never actually saw what Odin even looks like. Afterwards I tried looking up what I should do with the mantles, but apparently the only thing they're good for is some vanity gear for tanks or something, so I just spent them on the chocobo barding (which I'm currently using despite that fact that I think it looks really ugly since I don't have any other bardings to use yet).

Am I missing something here?

iammeiam

So the flowchart is working for me now that I dialed back and am taking it one arrow at a time. Finally maxed out red, but either I have a crap chocobo or RNG is against me because it took 33-ish apples total to get there. Now I get to hope the fates are kinder and berries push him to purple and not Dalamud Red.

But flowchart > recipes at this point, IMO. The key seems to be treating each arrow as a six-hour project, and only feeding until the first "growing new feathers" message. Subsequent feedings in the same window may or may not work, but there's no way to tell since the message keeps reappearing unless you somehow double back on yourself and feed your chocobo to pre-current-session color.

It does make it impossible to estimate how many fruit you need--you can tell how many arrows, but each arrow could be between 1 and ten fruit, and if the fruit crits (or HQs or whatever) you may get two arrows of progress in one message.

What's the point of the Odin fight? I managed to participate in the FATE a few days ago and got a gold medal for my contribution despite being item level 47 or something at the time. With all the players there, I never actually saw what Odin even looks like. Afterwards I tried looking up what I should do with the mantles, but apparently the only thing they're good for is some vanity gear for tanks or something, so I just spent them on the chocobo barding (which I'm currently using despite that fact that I think it looks really ugly since I don't have any other bardings to use yet).

Am I missing something here?

Vanity gear, chocobo barding, an achievement, and prior to The Hunt a rare occasion of spontaneous server-wide interaction. S ranks have kind of made Odin and Behemoth seem more normal, though.

Eldren

it says culottes right in the name

I thought they were using the historical definition, which would fit with the appearance of the male gear as well as the leather/toadskin/raptorskin culottes. At least I learnt that it has an alternate definition these days so I'll be more careful in future.

Like the healer panties, they are only meant to be worn with the ST casting dress.

That dress is so ugly though :( Never mind, I'll just glamour them back to what I had and keep an eye out for something else instead.

scy

Sucks for people doing those story based dungeons this late in the game. They really should have an option to let you group with people doing it for the first time.

Depends. The only issue I have with doing story dungeons with people who have done it a million+1 times is that it's awkward learning the zones as a tank. Nobody wants to go slow as you figure out patrols, which rooms to clear, what pulls you can skip, and then any encounter gimmicks. This is the entire reason that I leveled a SCH and DRG on the side of my PLD, it's easier to learn instances as a non-tank when everyone knows the dungeons.

Skipping cutscenes and so-on isn't a big deal since I can just watch them at my leisure later.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Even the XI races are barely different, from what I've seen, from the Hume source; give me a giant squid dude or a Burmecian or a mammet or a an Ixali or anything. I already play a human (debatedly) in real life!

I disagree on the XI races. Mithras actually resemble felines.

Even the lone Male Mithra looks way more feline.

Don't even get started on the attack animations, which clearly have Mithras more feral than the cut and paste Mi'qote. Mi'qote are basically cosplaying Humes. Which I bet was designed just for that purpose.

There are pretty big differences in almost every way for the Cats, Galka/Roegadyn and Taru/Lalas and XIV is a step back in almost every way. They're all Humes. =P Elezen are pretty much what Elvaans would look like in HD though.

studyguy

Sadly.

As someone who has "/p Praise Tanaka <se.6>" on a macro.
I'm sorry but no. Tanaka had his chance and blew it.
His original systems didn't even work till yoship moved in and changed them
lolregiments

Even if SE handed him the short straw in the dev cycle, an XI today simply wouldn't work, nor would I ever want to dive back into vanilla XI style gameplay.
Ain't nobody got time for that. On the subject of different names, it's a different game anyway. You're all catpeople and potatoes anyway.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
There are pretty big differences in almost every way for the Cats, Galka/Roegadyn and Taru/Lalas and XIV is a step back in almost every way. They're all Humes. =P Elezen are pretty much what Elvaans would look like in HD though.

It might be the age of the graphics, but the only major difference I'm seeing is the nose on the Mithra. They're still pretty human looking as opposed to the feral monstrousness of a real 'cat person' race. I mean I guess they're a step further, but they're still far too close for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom