• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

phierce

I really don't think the reward is the biggest issue, even if they did something crazy like make third coil's gear 30ilevels above everything else, you wouldn't see an explosion of people raiding. It's just a time/schedule thing.. Finding 7 other people who a, don't suck, and b, can play regularly together at same times is tough. Lockouts further complicate things.

I also think you are underselling the appeal of raids besides gear. Most people who are raiding are doing so because they enjoy it, I mean once you actually can beat the content you don't even need the gear anymore. It still gives you a sense of progression but the biggest draw is that feeling after finally achieving that first kill. It's really not limited to raiding either, it's just the sense of accomplishment when you finally pass some roadbloack. Whether that be Titan, Twintania, or Nael. Yeah it can be frustrating learning and wiping, but that just makes it all the sweeter when you finish it, and all players have likely felt that way at some point while playing. That is the true carrot on the stick imo, and it goes far beyond whatever stat points you get.
This.

Hell, most of you will call me crazy, but due to scheduling, my static falling apart months ago and just pure shit players, I've been raiding at 5:30 AM with a group of Aussie folks I was lucky enough to meet. I wake up a few hours early before work and raid. Honestly, it's fucking awesome.

Since making this choice, I also joined their FC and my gaming/raiding experience has increased tenfold...and this is coming from someone who was banging my head against pre-patch Twin way back when with a damn good FC/static.

and to hit on the second paragraph...yeah, there's really no better feeling, in MMO gaming, than the feeling you get after beating that encounter you've been wiping on for 2 weeks. That feeling of accomplishment from working with the same group of people and finally putting it all together and winning is pretty damn amazing.

IvorB

Physically at TGS.

In other news...

lbPzwKl.jpg

That's the colour I want for mine...

dramatis

I also think you are underselling the appeal of raids besides gear. Most people who are raiding are doing so because they enjoy it, I mean once you actually can beat the content you don't even need the gear anymore. It still gives you a sense of progression but the biggest draw is that feeling after finally achieving that first kill. It's really not limited to raiding either, it's just the sense of accomplishment when you finally pass some roadbloack. Whether that be Titan, Twintania, or Nael. Yeah it can be frustrating learning and wiping, but that just makes it all the sweeter when you finish it, and all players have likely felt that way at some point while playing. That is the true carrot on the stick imo, and it goes far beyond whatever stat points you get.
This isn't exactly something the Allagan Man has the right to say yo

Bookey

Professional Monk
Hey guys, Tina Vonkarma here, finally got my GAF account \o/.
I'm not playing the game anymore, but I keep following this thread, I hope this community stays alive until I have enough time to get back online.

Shout out to Team Bookey!
Good to see you on here man, we'll still be here when you can get back online /hype

Coil is my favorite part of the game so far.

Yeah agreed. If I wasn't doing Coil, I doubt I'd be playing as much. It was rather boring when I didn't have a Coil group. At least I had the option of leveling up crafting jobs, would hate to figure what I would do now without a raid group.

iammeiam

Advantage of west coast life: Most of this PSN stuff is sorted out by the time I get home
Disadvantage of west coast life: everyone starts saying it's getting late at, like, 9

Orcastar

It sure is fun going back to DPS duty finder queue times after leveling conjurer for a few days... Had to wait around 40 minutes to get into Thornmarch (hard) as a summoner, whereas the most I've had to wait as a conjurer so far has been 30 seconds or something.

WolvenOne

Gonna try to get out and do something tonight, since I've been down lately. Once I'm home though, assuming there are any Ultros groups doing their weekly T9 clear, would it be too much trouble to lock me into T9? I'm not talking about running the actual fight, I just want past T8, so I can get to practicing T9 already.

There's nothing I really need in eight after all, and pugging it with complete randoms sounds, miserable. :p

studyguy

Oh god, I'm going to start pugging tonight.
My FC's other static is going to take me on as a rep Sat, but it's only T9 :/

What should I expect? I've never pugged coil seriously.

WolvenOne

Ironically, pugging learning groups isn't so bad, since at least most people keep a fairly light attitude about things. My experience with clear groups though. O_O;;

Unwarranted ego is a truely ugly thing.

Ken

Just find clear groups or 7/8 statics on the PF. That's what I did this week and we one shot 7 and did 8 in three attempts.

Don't join "clear groups" that only have one dude sitting In the PF lol.

Aren't games supposed to be fun? That sounds real stressful. I guess it can be both?

Every single part of a game (or anything) doesn't need to be fun. Holding back and making you work for some of that fun can make you appreciate it more. Instant gratification is the death of desire. Or something.

Aren't games supposed to be fun? That sounds real stressful. I guess it can be both?

It depends upon the person. Some like to have significant roadblocks thrown at them, others don't like the difficulty. I don't mind a grind, but things like Coil and EX Primals seem too difficult for me, but I also have a long ways to go.

studyguy

If you enjoy the challenge it's there for you. Just dicking around doing regular content does some for me to a degree, but I find the endgame fun and I can only handle so much PvP before I get tired of it... different strokes etc etc.

Welp gave DF EX Moogle Mog a shot, that was a disaster lol. BLM and DRG insisted on staying in the middle and eating Delta Attack everytime

studyguy

Welp gave DF EX Moogle Mog a shot, that was a disaster lol. BLM and DRG insisted on staying in the middle and eating Delta Attack everytime

Delta Attacks from what I hear are ass anyway. I wouldn't know, Tanks do squat for that fight aside from play keep away on the king and watch the party explode.

studyguy

Also the thief and Bard Moogle. When you're main tank you essentially can't be anywhere.

You get a stack and you get a stack and you get a stack. Every mog gets a stack!
The mog AI are like cats that insist on sitting in the most irritating places for no reason.
They don't need to be there, they weren't there a second ago. But the spot right next to you is perfect.

You get a stack and you get a stack and you get a stack. Every mog gets a stack!
The mog AI are like cats that insist on sitting in the most irritating places for no reason.
They don't need to be there, they weren't there a second ago. But the spot right next to you is perfect.

If any tanks are seeing this, prioritize getting away from the thief. Its aoe arrow move with 4 or more stacks will simply wreck shit, especially if people aren't careful and double up.

Taruranto

Happens in every game with a market. Not saying to accept it, since it is a bag of dicks, just that it is normal for mmos. Most of the time the people doing it don't think they are so bulletproof as to talk like that in game where it can be traced, and just control without giving people options, but whatever.

Yeah, but what are they going to do with all the gil. Buy all of Limsa beach houses? What?

I mean, is it even worth the effort in this game?

Yeah, but what are they going to do with all the gil. Buy all of Limsa beach houses? What?

Yes? Novus alone can get real expensive depending on the secondary stats you choose.

Then you have the ilvl90 crafted accessories that can really help you round out your build and I'm sure a lot more people would use them if they weren't so expensive (or if they had more gil)

Tiops

I'll never get through Garuda EX.

We were almost there. A DPS killed Spiny Plume. Seriously, I'm thinking about giving up.

Valor

Money is useful in this game, yes, but only to buy sorely overpriced items that only carry that price tag because people have exorbitant amounts of money because they bartered for money that people bought through RMT. It's a wonderful cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom