• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Yeah, but what are they going to do with all the gil. Buy all of Limsa beach houses? What?

I mean, is it even worth the effort in this game?

It's got to be as much about the weird power trip as about the money, and the back-patting "I'm just doing what's best for the majority!" thing (see also: the people who would argue that their way of handling hunts was the best way, the right way, and the way in which everyone benefited the most, so everyone should shut up and do it their way.) Even though I don't understand on a fundamental level how that can possibly work long-term. Either you tank the market such that everyone in your union is taking a bath just to spite one guy who wouldn't play ball, or you buy up the product of the competition and they happily profit and keep doing what they're doing. It's not like the Union can go get an exclusive forestry contract with Gridania or fishing rights to Limsa waters.

In other news, 2.4 needs to get here sooner:
G3SX90J.jpg

I'm like a week and a half, maybe two weeks away from running out of DoH/DoL to level and I still haven't finished kitting out fisher let alone started melding any crafting class and I need to meld out LTW and GSM if I'm going to try to pursue desynth for them any further.

Need SCoB and Ramuh in DF to give me something to wipe repeatedly against with randoms. And also Ninja to mindlessly fate grind and throw some of this sold I'm stacking up at (secretly hoping Ninja ends up DEX-based and will share Bard gear. TWO CLASSES WITH AMON'S HAT!!!!)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
After 3 failed attempts with the flow chart, 3 failed attempts with the spreadsheet calculator, a bunch of FC berries, and at least 300k in MB berries I finally made it to soot black!

Y7v7v6r.jpg

This is what I used after the last failed attempt with the spreadsheet calculator: http://ffxivchocobo.com/

Frumix

Suffering From Success
On having gil. Having gil is simply the difference between putting your effort into obtaining something and... well just buyingit. These materias and minions and high level gear aren‘t cheap at all you guys!

I have 7 million now and I‘m being super cheap with my spenditures because exorbitant MB prices just eat through your fortune in a flash.

WolvenOne

No T9 practice today, but, got my Chocobo to Rank 9, leveled my Blacksmith and miner a bit, and cleared the three original Extreme Primals with Mumble Gaf.

Speaking of which, amazing how six people can clear that Titan EM fairly smoothly now.

IvorB

How are people leveling their Chocobros? I'm on level 4 now and the XP bar is creeping up sooooo slowly even with crack root.

I think I f**ked up mine. I made him a tank because I thought that would be a good idea. But there is just no way he is able to pull aggro from me when I am going full power. Will he get to be a more effective tank at higher levels?

So then I thought maybe give him healer skills but since I got Physick I don't think I have any use for a healer Choco.

So maybe I should have just made him attack and collect that extra damage. Don't really know what to do and every level is so long to get that making a change now doesn't really seem attractive.

aceface

I'll never get through Garuda EX.

We were almost there. A DPS killed Spiny Plume. Seriously, I'm thinking about giving up.

If you are on Ultros, I think we are doing Garuda ex tonight, around 9 eastern or so. You still want to do it Ivor? If anyone else wants to do stuff, I'll be around.

-GJ-

FFGAF, I need you to help me make a decision. I'm not that big on MMO's, but I do like Final Fantasy. Not a huge FF-fan, but I do enjoy the games. For some reason, FFXIV looks like a lot of fun to me. I've watched reviews and gameplay impressions and I'd love to play it on the PS4. However, something is holding me back from ordering a copy. I probably won't play more than a month or two. That's how long I've played MMO's like WoW and Guild Wars 2 before I got kinda bored with it. However, I don't mind that, since the game comes with a free month of play and if I buy a single player game I probably won't play that for more than a month either.

What do you think? Should I get it and play it for a month or two and hope I won't get bored with it? Or should I skip it. I should add that I don't know anyone who plays the game. So I can't really play with friends.

Gentlemen,

I've been thinking of taking the plunge with FFXIV for a while now. Ordered a couple of days ago, and it arrived this morning.

I've never been into an MMO before, so I'm unfamiliar with most of the terminology and etiquette and I'm a bit daunted by playing on on console as a total mmo virgin.

Basically from everything I've read, it seems as though FFXIV is the best final fantasy game in years, with a proper FF story and plenty of fan service. This is really what's got me interested, playing with others is something of a side boon.

Thing is I'm going to have to learn how to play. Does the GAF FC take kindly to total n00bs?

And do you have any advice for me at all. I feel like I'm going into this totally blind, even though I've spent a fair bit of time going through the class guides and the basic faqs.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
FFGAF, I need you to help me make a decision. I'm not that big on MMO's, but I do like Final Fantasy. Not a huge FF-fan, but I do enjoy the games. For some reason, FFXIV looks like a lot of fun to me. I've watched reviews and gameplay impressions and I'd love to play it on the PS4. However, something is holding me back from ordering a copy. I probably won't play more than a month or two. That's how long I've played MMO's like WoW and Guild Wars 2 before I got kinda bored with it. However, I don't mind that, since the game comes with a free month of play and if I buy a single player game I probably won't play that for more than a month either.

What do you think? Should I get it and play it for a month or two and hope I won't get bored with it? Or should I skip it. I should add that I don't know anyone who plays the game. So I can't really play with friends.

You can at least clear the main storyline. It takes all of 2-4 weeks depending on how intensively you play.

Gentlemen,

I've been thinking of taking the plunge with FFXIV for a while now. Ordered a couple of days ago, and it arrived this morning.

I've never been into an MMO before, so I'm unfamiliar with most of the terminology and etiquette and I'm a bit daunted by playing on on console as a total mmo virgin.

Basically from everything I've read, it seems as though FFXIV is the best final fantasy game in years, with a proper FF story and plenty of fan service. This is really what's got me interested, playing with others is something of a side boon.

Thing is I'm going to have to learn how to play. Does the GAF FC take kindly to total n00bs?

And do you have any advice for me at all. I feel like I'm going into this totally blind, even though I've spent a fair bit of time going through the class guides and the basic faqs.

It was my first MMO. GAF definitely made my first months in it better.
inb4 accusations

-GJ-

Thanks for the help guys. One last question. Is the game fun to play alone? I know about the Duty Finder system that supposedly helps people who play alone find a party to play with (or something like that). But I'm wondering how much content there is in the game that you can play solo.

IMBored

Thanks for the help guys. One last question. Is the game fun to play alone? I know about the Duty Finder system that supposedly helps people who play alone find a party to play with (or something like that). But I'm wondering how much content there is in the game that you can play solo.

You'll need a party for a lot of the story content (dungeons, trials), and the high level stuff is all party based, but the game is surprisingly soloable outside of that. Also, if you happen to be a tank, DF finds you a party instantly.

-GJ-

You'll need a party for a lot of the story content (dungeons, trials), and the high level stuff is all party based, but the game is surprisingly soloable outside of that. Also, if you happen to be a tank, DF finds you a party instantly.

Thank you :). I'll probably pick it up later today. Can't wait to try it out.

It depends on what you like, really. As said above, the game is surprisingly soloable.

For the initial story, you actually play solo most of the time, you only need to party up (or use Duty Finder) for dungeons and bosses. There are cases where it's better to have a party of people you know rather than randoms, for example the two dungeons at the end of the story, which people on Duty Finder prefer to speed run. It can be a really anticlimactic way to end the main story if you get dragged through a speed run on that.

If you're doing crafting and gathering, you can easily do it solo - but it helps a great deal to get to know other crafters and gatherers to help each other out.

For the end-game, I'd say it helps to be social to get the most out of it, since it's mainly focused around dungeons and raiding
but mostly hunting
. There's a lot of stuff you can do solo, but to me it feels like they're intended as side activities to the above.

If you're not really into the social aspect, anyway, I think you could have a lot of fun going through the initial story and stuff, and then see how you like the end game.

creid

I think I f**ked up mine. I made him a tank because I thought that would be a good idea. But there is just no way he is able to pull aggro from me when I am going full power. Will he get to be a more effective tank at higher levels?
My chocobo is a rank 9 tank and I don't find him to be particularly effective. I usually have to hold back on attacking for him to take hate from me. I should be able to get him to rank 10 next week, but I don't expect him to get any better.

IvorB

Do it. This was my first MMO and I'm still here months later. I never thought I would pay subscription for a game. Do you have PS3? If so:
1) Buy FF PS3 dirt cheap
2) Upgrade to PS4 version for free
3) ???
4) Profit!

Gentlemen,

Think there might also be some ladies in this thread :). But same advice, do it.

IvorB

My chocobo is a rank 9 tank and I don't find him to be particularly effective. I usually have to hold back on attacking for him to take hate from me. I should be able to get him to rank 10 next week, but I don't expect him to get any better.

Yeah I was thinking to get Quelling Strikes so that I can open with that and give him a chance to do his thing.

gryvan

Gryvan, you've been away so long your memory is waning. Endcat's a roelady.

Apparently the parts for my lappy's motherboard/integrated video card is still being ordered due to it being a customized motherboard/integrated video card via Toshiba...hence why I can't even do anything :(

On a plus note, it makes me guarantee that I'll be making my desktop sometime at the end of 2014!!

So I watched a great WAR guide online last night and I'm now convinced that pentamelded Ruby accessories are BiS, parry is crap and there's a skill speed number to aim for, so it's not completely useless.

I also realized I'm terrible at the game. The starting rotation that guy uses is good stuff. I wish I had the link with me here, it was like half an hour long and very informative. Will try to post it later.

I'm looking into leveling up Desynthesis of my BSM. From what I understand, I don't really need to get BiS and max out their stats, correct? Since most of end game desynthesis items (for BSM) come from Primal and PvP weapons, with exception of Summoning Bell of course.

scy

So I watched a great WAR guide online last night and I'm now convinced that pentamelded Ruby accessories are BiS, parry is crap and there's a skill speed number to aim for, so it's not completely useless.

I also realized I'm terrible at the game. The starting rotation that guy uses is good stuff. I wish I had the link with me here, it was like half an hour long and very informative. Will try to post it later.

Xeno's Guide? That's the one that came to mind, anyway.

I really enjoyed that WAR guide as well, but I don't have the money for ruby accessories :/

the only difference for me is during the opening rotation, if I opened with storm's, the boss would be running to our groups blm/brd. I'm sure this guy deals with dps that are also i110, so I'm not sure how he's holding hate on that initial pull.

Hell, sometimes I'm about lose hate in between skull sunder/ butcher's block. I'm using a i110 weapon too.

I really enjoyed that WAR guide as well, but I don't have the money for ruby accessories :/

the only difference for me is during the opening rotation, if I opened with storm's, the boss would be running to our groups blm/brd. I'm sure this guy deals with dps that are also i110, so I'm not sure how he's holding hate on that initial pull.

Hell, sometimes I'm about lose hate in between skull sunder/ butcher's block. I'm using a i110 weapon too.

I'm thinking it's because he's using those ruby accessories, plus allocated all his points to strength so he can create enough hate on that opening pull, since he's doing quite a bit more damage than a VIT tank would do.

I'm thinking it's because he's using those ruby accessories, plus allocated all his points to strength so he can create enough hate on that opening pull, since he's doing quite a bit more damage than a VIT tank would do.

That must be it. Some of those numbers he hits are crazy (1400+ ib).

Well, we are a long way from having coil on farm, so the hp pool shall remain. Some day..

I am only at lv 23 so far, but everything outside of 4 dungeons and 1 trial has been soloable. I am a very much a lone wolf and there has been plenty for me to do solo.

That must be it. Some of those numbers he hits are crazy (1400+ ib).

Well, we are a long way from having coil on farm, so the hp pool shall remain. Some day..

That is a good guide, but I stand by not going full STR unless you already have the fights/encounters on farm and have a party with some good synergy. You need competent healers and DPS to offset what you lose as a tank, otherwise 'stronk' tank is just obnoxious to the rest of your party.

Hell, even in full VIT with one unweathered Gloam Ring, I can still do Storm's Eyes/Butcher's Blocks that crit for well over 1100.

WolvenOne

I'm a full Vit Tank, and I still occasionally see 1600 crits. I really don't think the Ruby accessories or respecting to full STR are necessary to be a good spare DPS as a WAR.

WolvenOne

What I do, for fights where I'm doing minimal Tanking, is I equip the best dps tank pieces I have, and full Gloam accessories.

If I need to grab something, I turn on defiance, which gives me a bit over 8k hp, which is enough for most encounters in the game. The only downside is that turning on defiance takes time, so until I have, and have put out a BB combo, the party DPS have to hold off, should I need to step in for a fallen MT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom