• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

I'm at the point where I don't cap soldiery anymore. I maxed out my 2 jobs I care about at i109. Just need some BiS from 2nd Coil. Beat everything but T9. So I just need to log in for my 3 sessions per week in static.

I'll play a bunch more once 2.38 announces relic weapon and then go crazy on 2.4 launch.

I kind of like the lack of content breaks. You can go hard and enjoy the game for a couple months then take a bit of a break for a couple months.

I kind of like the lack of content breaks. You can go hard and enjoy the game for a couple months then take a bit of a break for a couple months.
Totally agree.
Had fun with my subbed month when 2.3 came out (left after doing everything in 2.1).
One month per two update gives you enough time to try all new content, which is great.
The patched content were all excellent so far, probably since I don't regrind them ad nauseam.

I can't wait for the expansion also.

So this happened.

3ed60eb2a42e1d88c840dd5ee1a4c9b1.gif

Drac

And this happened to me tonight:
KWFdxfu.png

I kinda felt sorry for my FC mates
I didn't, yesterday was my birthday, the game is just being kind to me for a change :p
Even better is the fact that we had 1 PU that left the group after 2 wipes, and we proceeded to kill titan with 15% echo and 7 members. To think I was about to go to sleep T_T !

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I did my first dungeon just now and my nerves are shot! This is the first time in my life I've ever done any type of raid. The other random party members were pissed at first, but calmed down after I learned what flash does. I am definitely going to study up before I do another. Nobody died at least. Fuck.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Is there any way to save my HUD and macro settings so I can easily transfer them to my client on a laptop? Going on business trip tomorrow.

Wilsongt

I did my first dungeon just now and my nerves are shot! This is the first time in my life I've ever done any type of raid. The other random party members were pissed at first, but calmed down after I learned what flash does. I am definitely going to study up before I do another. Nobody died at least. Fuck.

Reminds me of my first time doing Satasha before DF and you had to stand out in front asking people to join your party...

We never got a healer, so as an ACN, I ended up healing that dungeon. I barely paid attention to what was going on in the dungeon and was more focused on making sure no one died. Was fairly intense.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I have to hand it to FFXIV's design, the early dungeons are pretty much perfectly based to teach people about various mechanics.

suzu

Just let them know that you're new or ask for tips and you should be fine. Reading up on the mechanics of each boss fight doesn't hurt. Jerks will stay jerks though.

You're a GLD right? You should use Shield Lob to pull one enemy and then use Flash once or twice when the mobs are in range of you. After that you should build enmity on each enemy with your Fast Blade -> Savage Blade combo. If you lose aggro, use Provoke (if you have it) + Shield Lob.

You can try Guildhests which are like easy tutorial mini dungeons.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Just let them know that you're new or ask for tips and you should be fine. Reading up on the mechanics of each boss fight doesn't hurt. Jerks will stay jerks though.

You're a GLD right? You should use Shield Lob to pull one enemy and then use Flash once or twice when the mobs are in range of you. After that you should build enmity on each enemy with your Fast Blade -> Savage Blade combo. If you lose aggro, use Provoke (if you have it) + Shield Lob.

You can try Guildhests which are like easy tutorial mini dungeons.

Yeah, I'm a GLD. Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely do some Guildhests and do the first dungeon a few times to get the hang of it.

Alex

There's not really much to learn with tanking while leveling, most of my early hiccups were unlearning intricacies and expectations from other MMOs. If you are new, a lot of it is just going to be learning the layout and pacing of the dungeons you're going through. After that, it's about being aggressive and sure of yourself.

Make steady pulls, mark or at make a 1-2 mark macro if you're unsure of your threat, lob one target, open up on another, lay down periodic flashes, tab target enmity multiplied skills, cycle cooldowns and don't blow them in succession, stun or move out of dodgable attacks but keep things as stable as you can for the melee. That's the vague, generalized gist of it. Also, healing in the leveling game is extremely light weight and simple, so don't worry about overburdening the healer in this game, especially earlier on. (and lets be real, healers are mostly bums who stand around 90% of the time rather than aiding DPS anyway, they need stuff to do)

And of course, the obvious: keep yo' gear up to date. Especially the weapon. Grand Company will throw them at you pretty often and the weapon is the most important part while leveling.

The biggest help I had in my second go 'round on leveling a tank is that Warrior was a lot easier for me to level than Paladin. It's actually significantly more complicated but it has better tools and better AOE threat that make leveling more fun. It's probably my favorite class in the game, it's certainly one of the better put together ones right now.

scy

I have to hand it to FFXIV's design, the early dungeons are pretty much perfectly based to teach people about various mechanics.

And yet some get to 50 and just body pull and Fast Blade over and over :x

Really, the "hardest" part of tanking will end up being learning whatever gimmicks for the dungeon / raid / etc. Actual tanking stuff will be fairly simple, especially as a Gladiator / Paladin.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yeah, I'm a GLD. Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely do some Guildhests and do the first dungeon a few times to get the hang of it.

Gladiator/Paladin actually becomes easier later on when your enmity building potential actually starts to become even with the damage dealing output of the dps.

iammeiam

Got my Forager's Hat (finally) so the weekend wasn't a total waste, but yeah definitely ready for 2.4. DF access for stuff and things will be nice.

SkyOdin

If no-one died, then relax, the dungeon run went well. Congrats on tanking a dungeon for the first time! Once you've done a few more the experience will become more routine.

For tanking as a Gladiator at low levels, make sure to mark enemies if possible. The "signs" command will let you place a number marker over the head of your enemy. This is usually used to denote a kill-order. The best way to manage aggro is to have the tank and the DPS all focusing on the same target, so the tank can more easily manage hate. If everyone is killing the same enemy, you mostly then need to just use the occasional Flash to keep the other enemies from targeting the healer.

So the basic progress goes:

1) Mark the enemy with the kill order
2) Pull the enemy with Shield Toss
3) Use Flash to establish aggro on all enemies so they don't bum-rush the healer with the first Cure spell
4) Start comboing the enemy marked 1 with Fast Blade into Savage Blade
5) Use another Flash after a combo or two
6) When the first enemy is almost dead, switch to attacking the target marked 2
7) Continue as necessary, using Flash whenever you get nervous that the enemy might be losing aggro on you soon.

However, if your team-mates start attacking the wrong targets or spamming AoEs, feel free to just spam Flash until you run out of MP. That works surprisingly well sometimes.

Taruranto

you mean play more so they finish everything in 4 weeks? right.

No, I mean play more as "you actually had a reason to log once you cap soldiery and did coil".

Let's not pretend this situation is anything new, it was the same pre 2.1, after 2.1, after 2.2 and it will be the same 1-2 months after every major patch as long they employ this tipe of progression and waste major resources on random fanservice like Gilgamesh fight. People sub for major patches and then unsub until the next one.

People don't run dungeons much anymore because they already got most soldiery stuff 1 patch ago and a new tier of Yoshitomes is coming, they don't run primals because either they already have the items they wanted at this point or are waiting the new patch for the iLevel bump, if they do coil regularly they clear the turns with their static on the first day and then log off. At best they log each day for 1 Map + Dailies, but that's it.

Judging by how many 50 there are that can't play their job properly, not really. They are too easy and it happens often to get carried by players doing low level roulette.

eh. the guildheists actually do a better job. If you read the in game descriptions they talk about aggro/class stuff, but the dungeons don't really teach that. Assuming that you learned through the initial guildhests

Frumix

Suffering From Success
eh. the guildheists actually do a better job. If you read the in game descriptions they talk about aggro/class stuff, but the dungeons don't really teach that. Assuming that you learned through the initial guildhests
The problem is that guildhests except for two aren't obligatory.

neither

That's how I felt when I tanked my first dungeon!
My party was nice enough to help me through it though.

Alex

No, I mean play more as "you actually had a reason to log once you cap soldiery and did coil".

Let's not pretend this situation is anything new, it was the same pre 2.1, after 2.1, after 2.2 and it will be the same 1-2 months after every major patch as long they employ this tipe of progression and waste major resources on random fanservice like Gilgamesh fight. People sub for major patches and then unsub until the next one.

People don't run dungeons much anymore because they already got most soldiery stuff 1 patch ago and a new tier of Yoshitomes is coming, they don't run primals because either they already have the items they wanted at this point or are waiting the new patch for the iLevel bump, if they do coil regularly they clear the turns with their static on the first day and then log off. At best they log each day for 1 Map + Dailies, but that's it.

Judging by how many 50 there are that can't play their job properly, not really. They are too easy and it happens often to get carried by players doing low level roulette.

Yeah, I'm not really pleased with the content situation either, it's just very haphazard and poorly managed, they don't seem to have any clear goals for game progression or player retention. Instead of fixing wasted assets and obvious holes in the game they've just been layering on insulting bandages to waste time like Hunts and Relics. I still dig the game for what it is though, but I can't stick around consistently. I'm planning to let my sub lapse here in a few weeks and if 2.4 is the same ol', same ol' I'll just take a snooze until 3.0, which should be a lot of fun with all that new stuff.

And yeah, this game is super-duper casual, literally the most casual MMO userbase I've seen and I've been playing since Ultima Online. Given that it has a large console userbase and a dearth of progression content it's not really a big shocker though.

Thing that's funny though is that is XIV actually does a better job of preparing you for basics of end-game than most MMOs, overpreparing in some spots, most just let you hit the brick wall and depend on the playerbase to teach you. I mean yeah the tutorials are too easy but at least attempts are made. It's always funny to watch Guildhests though. People confused what to do, while the game gives a big pop up telling very concisely what to do. Also, the crier screams at you non-stop when you make a mistake.

Did the Malboro one one guy would not, could not understand that you don't pop the purple bubbles until he was set aside like a child and told directly by the WHM in the group.

Man, I wonder why some people are still playing this with the amount of complaining they do in here.

And I have zero problems with the "random fan service" of stuff like Battle on the Big Bridge. I can't wait for an extreme version of that.

Kenai

I don't feel this game is super casual at all after spending the last few days working on my fishing and sightseeing log and the riddle quest (Spearnose is a piece of sh*t btw,).

Even if the main story and several aspects of it are. You can most definitely play this game casually, but there are a LOT of things in this game that are super duper time consuming, especially without something like a core static of people willing to do stuff with you at random hours. That doesn't necessarily mean difficult, and I'm sure a lot of people will just ignore them cause they aren't interested, but that doesn't mean that they aren't there. I have a feeling a lot of people wouldn't be able to complete stuff like that without online guides to follow. (me included, some of the weather/bait/hour timers for these fish are absolutely ridiculous, have NO idea how people did this pre-skywatchers)

I think the time/effort vs reward ratio could stand to use some polish, though. ____ of the Luminary and Master ____ Rings are kind of a joke, and I can only have one minion active...got plenty of those to show off already.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I think the time/effort vs reward ratio could stand to use some polish, though. ____ of the Luminary and Master ____ Rings are kind of a joke, and I can only have one minion active...got plenty of those to show off already.

I'm not sure they actually want Luminaries to be anything but a very minor bonus for doing a lot of crafting/gathering.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The current scariest timesink for me is top end crafting.
Am I seriously gonna crush >200 artisan spectacles?
Am I gonna obtain 3 demimog demimateria before I lose my sanity and or all of my money?
Only time will tell!

IvorB

Thing that's funny though is that is XIV actually does a better job of preparing you for basics of end-game than most MMOs, overpreparing in some spots, most just let you hit the brick wall and depend on the playerbase to teach you. I mean yeah the tutorials are too easy but at least attempts are made. It's always funny to watch Guildhests though. People confused what to do, while the game gives a big pop up telling very concisely what to do. Also, the crier screams at you non-stop when you make a mistake.

Did the Malboro one one guy would not, could not understand that you don't pop the purple bubbles until he was set aside like a child and told directly by the WHM in the group.

I had to do a guildhest for the story mode and the other players killed the turtle. I couldn't believe it. Like you say, it explains so clearly what to do and the guy is screaming at you to stop but they just carried on while I stood at the smoke trap watching in awe.

While we are having a moan about content, when are they going to fix the crafting mats in the dungeons? I used to really love running dungeons but, honestly, I find the current situation with the mats so disgusting that there is no way I would do them now. For the final boss of the dungeon they give out mats?? Disgusting.

Also we need more dungeons in ex roulette. Those three dungeons are starting to get a bit old now.

Reminds me of my first time doing Satasha before DF and you had to stand out in front asking people to join your party...

We never got a healer, so as an ACN, I ended up healing that dungeon. I barely paid attention to what was going on in the dungeon and was more focused on making sure no one died. Was fairly intense.

i remember that time , a giant clusterfuck of people shooting "need party member"
So confusing i didn't play a dongeon untill DF was introduced in the game.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I had to do a guildhest for the story mode and the other players killed the turtle. I couldn't believe it. Like you say, it explains so clearly what to do and the guy is screaming at you to stop but they just carried on while I stood at the smoke trap watching in awe.

While we are having a moan about content, when are they going to fix the crafting mats in the dungeons? I used to really love running dungeons but, honestly, I find the current situation with the mats so disgusting that there is no way I would do them now. For the final boss of the dungeon they give out mats?? Disgusting.

Also we need more dungeons in ex roulette. Those three dungeons are starting to get a bit old now.

Philosophy mats are hecka in demand and Ixali vendor did little to alleviate the problem.
I am legit dreading the moment myth mats become like that (and saving up).
It's a matter of perspective I guess but I got my Divine Harvest set in less than a week so I can't QQ about drop RNG (even though I did QQ on OF anyway lol)

Nohar

I'm curious to see how the 2.4 will change things for crafters... Knowing myself, I'll probably re-sub, play two weeks and leave again, realizing this game is not for me and that I should stay away from MMOs. Meh. At least I have good online friends who still play and that I will be happy to see again.

But the same things I dislike will still be present. Meh. I guess I'm better off waiting for the 3.0.

Frazley

Just started seeing the joy and pain of Myth gear and also started my Relic weapon questline. Just saw all of the primals I have to defeat. This game still has plenty for me to do and I still need to work on crafting and getting other classes to 50.

Maybe I'm crazy, but if I have to put in time to progress I'd rather do it on an MMO than a singleplayer RPG. Plus, once I learn the mechanics I don't have to relearn. I am still enjoying this game since I joined in April.

dcye

i remember that time , a giant clusterfuck of people shooting "need party member"
So confusing i didn't play a dongeon untill DF was introduced in the game.

I'm almost positive that Duty Finder was in the game from Day 1. Unless you're referring to 1.0.

dcye

Unlikely since he's talking about an arcanist.
Alpha/beta testing?

I can't remember with the alpha and beta, there was too many different phases for me to differentiate it in my memory. I'm sure DF was in the game from launch though, I did nearly every dungeon in the story through it and I played from launch day.

EDIT: maybe they mean Party Finder?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Having finished Silver Sovereigns under 8 hours resumed SCH atma grind.
Got bored 15 fates in. Would honestly rather kill Nael 30 times instead.

IvorB

Philosophy mats are hecka in demand and Ixali vendor did little to alleviate the problem.
I am legit dreading the moment myth mats become like that (and saving up).
It's a matter of perspective I guess but I got my Divine Harvest set in less than a week so I can't QQ about drop RNG (even though I did QQ on OF anyway lol)

Which ones are the philosophy mats? Yeah I have gotten one or two items from the dungeons but mostly its mat, mats and more mats.

iammeiam

Maintenance starts at 8? That's so early! I wonder if I can latch onto a Ramuh PF in three hours tonight...

RIP populated Mist, everyone gonna bugger off to their own housing tomorrow.

aceface

Maintenance starts at 8? That's so early! I wonder if I can latch onto a Ramuh PF in three hours tonight...

RIP populated Mist, everyone gonna bugger off to their own housing tomorrow.

Nah they are going to make it so expensive that basically no one will be able to afford at first. It will slowly come down and people will save and next month they will have houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom