• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Nah they are going to make it so expensive that basically no one will be able to afford at first. It will slowly come down and people will save and next month they will have houses.

Why are you assuming it works like FC housing? They didn't say anything about that.

aceface

Why are you assuming it works like FC housing? They didn't say anything about that.

You doubt my powers of perception??

i have no idea how it will work

I assume they will at least price it out of the reach of the casual buyer at first or else the people who stay up to 5am when maintenance ends would snap up all the prime locations.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You doubt my powers of perception??

i have no idea how it will work

I assume they will at least price it out of the reach of the casual buyer at first or else the people who stay up to 5am when maintenance ends would snap up all the prime locations.

So rich people will grab them instead to garden privately and make themselves even richier.

scy

Man I really bombed out pugging coil this week.
0 progress made. On the upside though, my chocobo is the shade of blue I want now.

the only loot that matters

Cause that's just what this game needs... more grind. Thanks Yoshi-P.

Honestly, I'd be fine with more dungeon / primal related content associated with the Relic questline. Maybe I'll change my mind after a few more books, though.

of course, we'll get Atma 2.0 where its RNG from specific Fates~~

IvorB

The relic quest is gonna get more grindy than before. And some quality of life stuff but that's it.

I hit another rough patch in the ATMA grind this passed weekend. Didn't manage to score any. I'm convinced areas with high concentrations of FATEs have lower drop rate.

scy

If they change atmas, I'll be sad I just did all of mine.

On the other hand, it would mean an easier alt class grind.

iammeiam

I don't really know that nerfing Atma would do anything to motivate me at this point--the problem I've always had isn't so much any one step sucking as the 1-2-3 punch of Atma/Animus/Novus just making it so there is no light at the end if the relic chain tunnel. Having the next step involve EX primals of something might finally motivate me to finish Animus, because that would be a nice non-grind option.

I do think it's weird that we've gotten a statement about an eventual nerf to vanity item pricing when Novus remains obscene. You'd think they'd be more concerned about making gear progression available to everyone than guaranteeing bikini access for all.

Talaysen

I can't remember with the alpha and beta, there was too many different phases for me to differentiate it in my memory. I'm sure DF was in the game from launch though, I did nearly every dungeon in the story through it and I played from launch day.

EDIT: maybe they mean Party Finder?

There was no Duty Finder until open beta. Or maybe one of the later beta phases. I know it wasn't in when I started beta.

Having finished Silver Sovereigns under 8 hours resumed SCH atma grind.
Got bored 15 fates in. Would honestly rather kill Nael 30 times instead.

I was capped on stats with FC buff and it still took longer than that. You got pretty lucky.

Demoskinos

I did my first dungeon just now and my nerves are shot! This is the first time in my life I've ever done any type of raid. The other random party members were pissed at first, but calmed down after I learned what flash does. I am definitely going to study up before I do another. Nobody died at least. Fuck.

Straight up early level tanking sucks. DPS can very easily pull aggro off of you and until you get to your 30's you don't have that many tools at your disposal. Don't get too discouraged.

Wilsongt

I'm almost positive that Duty Finder was in the game from Day 1. Unless you're referring to 1.0.

I probably ended up shouting because I didn't want to wait in the forever and a day long queue for DPS. Either way, early dungeoning was still a pain when people were new...

Wiping on the Sahagin.
Everyone dying to the bombs on Copperbell

Good times, good times...

aceface

I don't really know that nerfing Atma would do anything to motivate me at this point--the problem I've always had isn't so much any one step sucking as the 1-2-3 punch of Atma/Animus/Novus just making it so there is no light at the end if the relic chain tunnel. Having the next step involve EX primals of something might finally motivate me to finish Animus, because that would be a nice non-grind option.

I do think it's weird that we've gotten a statement about an eventual nerf to vanity item pricing when Novus remains obscene. You'd think they'd be more concerned about making gear progression available to everyone than guaranteeing bikini access for all.

Just remove the Atma roadblock and I'd do the rest. Like I've mentioned before I'm fine with something I can slowly progress with over for a long period of time. That's how I look at the beast tribe dailies. But with Atmas I felt like I was seeing no progress and just wasting my time.

they aren't gonna change atmas. You see that pic on reddit of the guy with all 9 animus and 12 atmas ready for ninja? Atmas/books working as intended yo

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Well I finally got my Carpenter to Lv.50 so now I'm not sure what to focus on next...
-Start Atma Farming again? (Got only 2 pieces)
-Attempt to finish the EX Primal Quests (Stuck on EX Titan)
-Finally start the Coil?
-Go try to clear Syrcus Tower?
-Level up another Class/Job?

What do you guys recommend?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Gotta protect that economy!

2.35, materia prices
FvMZTM4.jpg

iammeiam

Just remove the Atma roadblock and I'd do the rest. Like I've mentioned before I'm fine with something I can slowly progress with over for a long period of time. That's how I look at the beast tribe dailies. But with Atmas I felt like I was seeing no progress and just wasting my time.

Atma worked out okay for me because I just did it while queuing for other things. I didn't need a specific FATE or max credit, so I could just run around hitting up FATES instead of idling outside the house while waiting on stuff. Animus offered okay return on effort in terms of investment, but was more disruptive to my play style since it expected specific FATE camping and running specific dungeons and farming the same mobs over multiple spawns. Then Novus hit, with its materia requirements, and I realized I was unlikely to ever actually catch up at the rate I was progressing and all I'd be doing was grinding eternally for grinding's sake. It'd be like the sylph tribe adding new tiers every couple of patches with new and exciting pod carries.

Atma absolutely needs to be nerfed, but at this point I'm not sure that alone is enough to make relic worth catching up on unless future steps ease up on the grind.

Kenai

I'm not sure they actually want Luminaries to be anything but a very minor bonus for doing a lot of crafting/gathering.

It's not even a bonus anymore. They were replaced with Artisan's stuff handily. Supra widened the gap (although most people don't have those still since they take 10 FC3s a piece).

I didn't even mind the Novus in comparison to this because I didn't need all those expensive Savage Might/Aim 4 the same way I need all those expensive FC3s for my Supras. No matter how much I put in it wasn't going to be better than my High Allagan Book , so I just relented and put in spell speed. And why not? It's not even bad, just not quite as good.

it was still really annoying to make it a time *and* potential money sink though. Even if you ignored the Crit/Det 4s those 3s were 30-40 k a pop for a while. I am kinda afraid that the next stage will be Demateria/desynth related, which has the potential to be scary. I'll still do it though.

If they changed it so instead of Atma being a random drop would you rather have it so that you could do 100 FATEs in the different zones (for a total of 1,200 FATEs)?

I'm not completely sure what I'd pick. If I had to pick one I'd take my chances with the random drops instead of a guaranteed grind. So far I haven't had to do anywhere near 100 FATEs for the zones I've gotten Atma in. But I still can run into epic RNG problems later.

J-Rod

Det IV materia being half a million a pop on my server has sucked the wind out of my relic sails. I don't see me finishing this stage anytime soon.

studyguy

Squandering gil on materia right now seems like the dumbest thing to do, especially when there's no assured payoff for going all out on them. I don't expect the relic line to match up ever. Maybe I'll be wrong, but as it stands relics are dead to me.

IvorB

If they changed it so instead of Atma being a random drop would you rather have it so that you could do 100 FATEs in the different zones (for a total of 1,200 FATEs)?

I'm not completely sure what I'd pick. If I had to pick one I'd take my chances with the random drops instead of a guaranteed grind. So far I haven't had to do anywhere near 100 FATEs for the zones I've gotten Atma in. But I still can run into epic RNG problems later.

I'd rather have a specific thing that I needed to do than an endless grind. No matter how many FATEs you do it doesn't mean your next FATE is any more likely to yield an ATMA. They should really make it so that the more you do the better your chance of getting one. This would stop people burning out.

There was no Duty Finder until open beta. Or maybe one of the later beta phases. I know it wasn't in when I started beta.

But you couldn't play Arcanist during the beta either, unless it was like the closed beta build that maybe had every town? Normal plebs beta only had Gridania at first and even when they unlocked stuff Arcanist was still locked until release.

But I do remember people sitting at the entrance of Sastasha shouting for groups. The DF was slow as shit or whatever, or maybe it was broken from the load, but there was something bad about it. I actually did the first 3 dungeons as healer arcanist, then did a couple as DPS and haukke as healer until I finally unlocked SCH. For Haukke though it was a premade group rather than shouting.

aceface

But you couldn't play Arcanist during the beta either, unless it was like the closed beta build that maybe had every town? Normal plebs beta only had Gridania at first and even when they unlocked stuff Arcanist was still locked until release.

But I do remember people sitting at the entrance of Sastasha shouting for groups. The DF was slow as shit or whatever, or maybe it was broken from the load, but there was something bad about it. I actually did the first 3 dungeons as healer arcanist, then did a couple as DPS and haukke as healer until I finally unlocked SCH. For Haukke though it was a premade group rather than shouting.

During the ps4 beta I would sit at the entrance asking everyone who came up if they wanted to do it, but just cause DF was so slow.

Had some fun times doing that. In Copperbell our healer dropped after five minutes so we 3 manned it with me doing healing as arcanist. That was intense.

My desynthesis level of GSM, CRP, and BSM are stuck at 70 and it's becoming a pain to level any of them further now. Afaik, my choices now are

- Breaking 3-star items - which also breaks my bank
- DL accessory - take very long to queue on DF. Need to roll against 3 players
- PvP items - guarantee reward take very long time to grind Frontline
- Primal HM farm - cheapest method but relies heavily on luck

Right now I'm farming Garuda and Mog but goddamn it RNG never won me a thing. Look like there is no easy way to master Desynthesis, isn't there?

You still get shitty gains from desynthing easier stuff, so in large enough quantities you could get somewhere, maybe. Like Aetheryte rings still give skill ups I think up to 85 or something? But obviously you're just spending money at that point, even if the cost isn't too bad due to desynthing giving you back the mats a lot of the time.

But yeah it seems 80+ desynth is an insane stupid long grind that involves 20millions worth of stuff or running primals EX for 3weeks non stop, and not in DF cause too many wipes and long queues(unless tank, but still need to kill stuff).

Allard

My desynthesis level of GSM, CRP, and BSM are stuck at 70 and it's becoming a pain to level any of them further now. Afaik, my choices now are

- Breaking 3-star items - which also breaks my bank
- DL accessory - take very long to queue on DF. Need to roll against 3 players
- PvP items - guarantee reward take very long time to grind Frontline
- Primal HM farm - cheapest method but relies heavily on luck

Right now I'm farming Garuda and Mog but goddamn it RNG never won me a thing. Look like there is no easy way to master Desynthesis, isn't there?

I am not working on BSM but for GSM desynth rose gold clasps. Requires 2 darksteel nuggets, one rose gold ingot and 1 wind and fire cluster. Desynth gives you either the ingot back, the darksteel or a fieldcraft III demimateria. leveled 70-85 off that for a profit.

BadRNG

But yeah it seems 80+ desynth is an insane stupid long grind that involves 20millions worth of stuff or running primals EX for 3weeks non stop, and not in DF cause too many wipes and long queues(unless tank, but still need to kill stuff).
Might vary between servers, but 20mil is quite the exaggeration. I'm not sure why you mentioned EX since nothing from them is desynthable, the primal stuff that you farm is hardmodes, which are braindead easy and easily farmable even in pugs. You can either get a group specifically for farming them to desynth or just queue repeatedly as healer or tank depending on desynth class.

Personally I got bored of trying that within a few runs, so I mostly just did PvP for fun/horsie and built up marks over time. I have only done like 50 FL matches and that was way more than enough to get pass the appropriate range level, (I'm actually 82 BSM or something now thanks mainly to PvP too). Mixed this in with artisan spectacles for the 70s. When the gains dropped hard I switched to 3star gold spectacles, if you make them yourself they are pretty cheap(as are a good chunk of 3star items now), and you can get 5% extra desynth chance for every materia slotted. The battlecraft III market is actually better than it was when I was doing this, and I was still making back a lot of what I spent. It's still a time/gil sink but it's really not as bad as you're making it out to be, and it is only getting easier for that first difficulty bump at i70 thanks to phil tome mats dropping. Coke was like 2-4k the other day.

The real question is if it is even worth it. The big repeatable/sane money maker at the end of the tunnel was Field3 and Mastercraft but they are all on their way down. with crazy fluctuations/undercut wars constantly, you gotta really get lucky or babysit to sell them lately. There is still some profit to be made there for now but it's getting less and less appealing. The primal demis have never moved that fast, are a pain to farm, and yet even they are dropping well below what they were. Ifrit is especially bad.

Maybe things will change if Supra are required for new 2.4 crafts, or if the next relic line really does involve demimateria like many have joked. In which case you got plenty of time to work your desynth up before then, utilizing the increasingly cheap mats.

I'm almost positive that Duty Finder was in the game from Day 1. Unless you're referring to 1.0.
Well
Unlikely since he's talking about an arcanist.
Alpha/beta testing?
Beta part 3 if my memory is correct

i also remember that superb instance bug where people had to queue IRL to adavance their story 3 hours of waiting in line and i remember that most people did wait and very few tried to cheat.. Unbelievable to me at the time.
( Only 3 people could play that specific instance at the time on each server ) , that was incredible.

Can't believe someone on Ultros has 9 Animus weapons..if I had to do that, I would unsubscribe in a heartbeat

I'm not sure if it's crazy OR if he simply has too much free time

WolvenOne

I really hope we get another model change with this interation of the Relic quest. The whole blood spattered axe look is kinda, meh.

Also, itd be nice if we could respec again, but it's not a huge deal if we can't yet. As much as people talk up fully determ/crit specced weapons, it's a pretty subtle boost in DPS vs the main stats, and accuracy really is good for future proofing.

Granted, it might not be necessary to have a future proof weapon, but there's no way to really know until we see the next tome gear. :p

The relic quest is gonna get more grindy than before.

b6ab85c328c67c82adca2daed34e357f.png

Do the right thing YoshiP and make the next step more like the original relic quest line. Crafting, Dungeons, PVE, Primal Kills, and some tome based items. Give us more reasons to do Leviathan/Ramuh/Shiva.

(Alternatively, the image above is how I feel whenever we wipe to Ramuh after saying we're going to "farm" it for ponies...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom