• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazanko

Banned
Personal housing really needs to be instanced. It's going to be a mess in its current form. There is lack of space, high price and sharing with FC houses. Just doesn't seem worth it.

Robin64

Yoshida seems to have written a message to the japanese fanbase one hour ago, but I don't understand japanese, sadly. May I ask someone to give us a translation?

From a Reddit poster:

He tries to explain why personal and FC housing are together and his reasoning is that now that the game isn't new the number of new FCs being made is decreasing. He predicts that the number of houses owned by FCs will go down occasionally over time and it'll be a more efficient use of plots to allow individuals to buy them up as well.

I hardly see how that's a good argument when on some servers there isn't even enough space for the FCs. I wonder if this is just an excuse or a real concern about keeping wards lively. I guess I can understand it on servers with lower populations.

He tries to explain the cost as well. Of course part of it is because it's shared with FC housing but the other concern is that the overall amount of gil players have is increasing overall. After all, gil comes out of thin air from quests and whatnot so he sees housing as a way to get some of that out of circulation. And more ways to earn gil have been added so more ways to spend it should follow. He brings up that, again, prices go down over time so if no one is willing to pay the current price the prices will naturally drop. This actually makes sense to me and is why I guessed housing would be pricey in the first place.

They also didn't want housing to be so cheap that people would buy it for their alts right away in order to profit off it. He used RMTs as a reason to avoid cheap housing as well but I think that's a dumb argument as gil prices are pretty cheap and I think houses being super expensive lead to more of a desire to purchase gil than if they were cheap.

He goes on to say it's a complex issue and that what the devs take into consideration and decide is best doesn't always match what the players hoped for.

Also wanted to add.. in case anyone is wondering the post starts by discussing how Yoshi had previously stated that individual housing would be cheaper than FC housing and apologizes for that, saying that he announced it that way to dispel everyone's fear that they wouldn't be able to afford individual housing if it came out at that cost. So basically he just wanted to get everyone to stop worrying at the time but didn't even know what individual housing would cost.

BadRNG

Yoshida seems to have written a message to the japanese fanbase one hour ago, but I don't understand japanese, sadly. May I ask someone to give us a translation?
Not going to translate the full thing, I'm sure an official version will be out shortly.

But he basically admits he spoke too soon about the prices beforehand, as he wanted to soothe player's fears(lol), but the rate at which players obtained gil later on exceeded their expectations so they feel current price is fair. They see the situation as similar to the FC pricing situation where people were upset there, that in time people will get over it and save for when the prices drop. As for why FC/personal are shared, he says there is less and less FCs buying houses, and instead of letting that space go to waste they moved to let players buy it (and he says they believed players would ask for this themselves). Finally he mentions they will continue to monitor feedback like they did with FC housing prices, and talks about how they addressed feedback there, so you should totally trust them. Even though he just admitted he basically lied about the prices beforehand just to appease people.

It's hilariously bad excuses all around, and the Japanese players are ripping on him bad.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
vbvnq4D.jpg

Patch vindicated

Edit: Just did Titan Hard.
Got a message that Thyrus Novus "emits a gentle light" but upon examination through the glass it still says "no aetheric activity".
Upon further inspection Spiritbonding stat has been removed from Novus weapons.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Not going to translate the full thing, I'm sure an official version will be out shortly.

But he basically admits he spoke too soon about the prices beforehand, as he wanted to soothe player's fears(lol), but the rate at which players obtained gil later on exceeded their expectations so they feel current price is fair. They see the situation as similar to the FC pricing situation where people were upset there, that in time people will get over it and save for when the prices drop. As for why FC/personal are shared, he says there is less and less FCs buying houses, and instead of letting that space go to waste they moved to let players buy it (and he says they believed players would ask for this themselves). Finally he mentions they will continue to monitor feedback like they did with FC housing prices, and talks about how they addressed feedback there, so you should totally trust them. Even though he just admitted he basically lied about the prices beforehand just to appease people.

It's hilariously bad excuses all around, and the Japanese players are ripping on him bad.

Yoshida :(
Stumbling a bit lately, man.

dramatis

Hold that, Holy spamming WHM jerks
Go away dps scum
That "visual representation of sounds" thing sounds cool as hell. Very nice of them to add it to the game.
I think this is a surprisingly good addition. They have done a lot to make it so that the game is more accessible to the visually impaired, glad to see features added for the hard of hearing too.
You hear this?
This is the sound of souls crashing into pieces everywhere.
Can I /slap Nuadha for even attempting to defend this copout?
Yesterday you were like, "What makes you think it's going to be like fc housing?" This is the sound of optimism and arrogance crashing into a brick wall.

Taruranto

Do we know if personal houses get deleted after 1 month of inactivity? I could purchase a small house on Ragna since 4m aren't much, but if there is a time out for inactivity I'll be forced to pass on the whole thing altogether. :/

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yesterday you were like, "What makes you think it's going to be like fc housing?" This is the sound of optimism and arrogance crashing into a brick wall.
Arrogance?
Look around. Look at people.
Our only fault is that we expected common sense.

dramatis

Arrogance?
Look around. Look at people.
Our only fault is that we expected common sense.
What then is this common sense you can have that will solve all of the server issues they are having when you are not in a position with any real information about the servers' health?

The answers are rarely as simple as you think. Moreover, how many resources should they pour into something that is largely aesthetic and has only limited gameplay value?

When I speak of arrogance, I speak of the know-it-all attitude you adopted yesterday when shooting down a guy who suggested housing might end up like fc housing. We are arrogant to assume we know the devs and how they will proceed on side material like housing. Coil, CT, and dungeons we can expect rather straightforward implementations, but crafting, housing, gardening, chocobos and the like have never been that predictable.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
What then is this common sense you can have that will solve all of the server issues they are having when you are not in a position with any real information about the servers' health?

The answers are rarely as simple as you think. Moreover, how many resources should they pour into something that is largely aesthetic and has only limited gameplay value?

When I speak of arrogance, I speak of the know-it-all attitude you adopted yesterday when shooting down a guy who suggested housing might end up like fc housing
. We are arrogant to assume we know the devs and how they will proceed on side material like housing. Coil, CT, and dungeons we can expect rather straightforward implementations, but crafting, housing, gardening, chocobos and the like have never been that predictable.
It was based on developers' previous statements. Which turned out to be lies. Which is why Yoshi is getting gunned. Shut up.

Alex

I paid 5,000,000 gil for some land. I only had 14,000,000 so that's a lot for me but dang did I get a nice spot.

I'm surprised no one else took it, people are taking the all the slightly cheaper plots where you have to run up like six ramps to get to a marketboard. To heck with that!

Frazley

I'm disappointed, but you know what? I love the game. People make mistakes and I believe the devs need to do something to change it, but I am not going to quit over housing. I love the game!

Will say, TGS and FanFest will be fun to watch! :D I would've gone to either one if I could afford it. YOU KNOW WHAT? AIRFARE AND HOTELS ARE EXPENSIVE, the companies told me I could affordably get there. :)

Edit: Please don't take the second part of my post as being apathetic to the issue. I do believe the people who are angry at this are rightly justified. Yoshida did lie. That is NEVER ok. I am not happy that he lied and I think housing is a disaster right now. I just posted my second paragraph to try and add humor to this.

Valor

Honestly couldn't give less of a poop about housing because alt WAR pose is pretty much my new reason for drawing breath.

But seriously, the housing decision was pretty dang stupid, but what can you do? Those prices are ridiculous. Time to go get a loan from Cheshire Kat.

Frazley

Honestly couldn't give less of a poop about housing because alt WAR pose is pretty much my new reason for drawing breath.

But seriously, the housing decision was pretty dang stupid, but what can you do? Those prices are ridiculous. Time to go get a loan from Cheshire Kat.

I know a guy who can loan money. He sends me tells each day saying GOLD 4 CHEEP!!!! W W W BYEGELFORECHEAPES DOTA COMMIE

IMBored

So guys, update aside, I have the hardware token but I'm thinking of switching to the smartphone app one. Will the hardware token stop working forever?

Alex

As is, BiS is just too blah in this game for me to bother with the relics, even as a chronic min-maxer. For healing it's especially iffy given how simple throughput and regen mechanics are in this game. The itty, bitty bit of HPS you'd gain just doesn't spark the desire for me to put that amount of work in.

I got a bit depressed the other day when someone did the crunch to find out how mediocre parry was and the curtain got drawn back on that whole mess. Really, the substat system needs a complete revamp, itemization is just in the bin due to it. Of course, the content to truly stress the gear isn't really there either yet, so....

But I know some people who are crazy about the relic stuff, so tastes are tastes. I actually really like an engaging grind but I can't really abide by the ones in XIV. They're not fun to me. Really cannot stand doing anything that requires me to be level sync'd mostly (DETEST level sync), but I also can't enjoy a lot of the types of tasks in general. I'd be more interested in stuff that presses me a little bit, more speed runs, challenges, etc. I need to feel that as a player I am having an impact on the quality of the grind.

dramatis

It was based on developers' previous statements. Which turned out to be lies. Which is why Yoshi is getting gunned. Shut up.
It's not the first time Yoshida had to walk back a few things he said. Game development makes things change over time. Unless you're seeing actual assets, like gear/environments/mobs/UI in a live letter, you can't make firm assumptions.

There is reasonable assessment, and then there is blind faith. You were a bit too secure in your belief.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Yeah, some people are pretty ridiculous.

I don't like what yoshida made abut personal housing but it doesn't justify his crucifixion..

Actually, it kind of does. The dude has been singing one tune, then introduces a completely new song that is completely opposite. They lied. They hid all of this, released the patch notes and he attempted to explain it away in forum posts. It's pretty bullshit.

The dev team has been making mistake after mistake after mistake lately. Can you really blame people for being pissed off? Hell, he said he would fix the gear drops in the dungeons. He has yet to do that!

He deserves the criticism. 100%. He hides behind "limitations" "server structure" and so on. Well, you know what? I think some fans are smart to start calling out his shit.

It's not the first time Yoshida had to walk back a few things he said. Game development makes things change over time. Unless you're seeing actual assets, like gear/environments/mobs/UI in a live letter, you can't make firm assumptions.

There is reasonable assessment, and then there is blind faith. You were a bit too secure in your belief.

It not being the first time is exactly why people are pissed off. He is making a habit and I don't where you have been in the past year or so, but gamers are not kind to developers who say one thing and do another thing in the complete opposite way.

Paying customers don't give a shit about the dev process. They give a shit about the end product and if you delivered. Yoshi and the Dev team has not lately. His reasoning is also bullshit. RMT is seeped into every ounce of this game since day one and making decision designs around them at this point only hurts the real players. Some may be getting tired of it.

Jayhawk

Can somebody summarize the patch so I can enjoy reading something other than Drama calling out Karen as I relax in my yukata after a hot bath?

iammeiam

Can somebody summarize the patch so I can enjoy reading something other than Drama calling out Karen as I relax in my yukata after a hot bath?

- new relic is obtained by... Doing stuff. Exact method is a mystery but it looks like ST is more worth doing than T6.

- Sands for everyone everywhere all the time. Sands from all of coil, sands from ST, sands sands sands

- personal housing is just FC housing without needing an FC. Fun for the 1%, worthless to the rest of us.

- Can now mount mounts in housing district. No more need to port to Mor Dhona to show off the latest primal pony.

-/slap and /hug in preperation for marriage and divorce

- Ramuh in DF without a full party, ring iLevel bump

- more Postmoogle stuff

- Some nice QoL stuff but who cares too busy rioting about housing being only for the 1%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom