• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Thanks, good idea. Biggest thing I want is to garden. Medium would get me 2 slots, but yeah I'll start with an FC room.

It's quite probable that they'll add gardening pots that can be used in FC Rooms, at some point. They'll probably be very limited compared to full size gardening, but they'll do in a pinch, assuming they indeed come out.

studyguy

All yall tanks need to step up that Spell Speed game.
PLD and WAR casters, it's gonna be big!

tumblr_mg1dulayer1rjsbhwo1_400.gif

scy

Right now, parry is worth it for Main Tanks, because it reduces the likelihood of an, (Oh $#%!%,) moment. Basically, if the MT isn't fully buffed up and gets hit by a Ravensbeak, a 27% parry very well could save him, or at least reduce the stress on the healers.

The problem is that it doesn't really do that with any reliability. You cannot, and should not, be relying on an X% chance occurring to save your attempt. If it happens you take it, sure, but your Healers on Ravensbeak (or any number of other big hits) already plan for these hits to occur. They're not starting their heal after it lands and assessing the damage they're dealing with. Parry can occur here but it is almost a non-factor because it does not change healer behavior. Unless I greatly misunderstand healing in this game, which is likely I suppose.

What you do want Parry for is smoothing out the damage outside of these hits. Parry is essentially useless when considering spikes but great for everything else. It'll help reduce the damage and hopefully enough to spare a healer GCD when they need to spot heal which increases their uptime on DPS which is more relevant than tank DPS anyway.

Besides, this isn't 0 Parry vs 600 Parry but more like 500 Parry vs 600 Parry vs 650 Parry.

All yall tanks need to step up that Spell Speed game.
PLD and WAR casters, it's gonna be big!

dem midfight stoneskins tho

WolvenOne

The problem is that it doesn't really do that with any reliability. You cannot, and should not, be relying on an X% chance occurring to save your attempt. If it happens you take it, sure, but your Healers on Ravensbeak (or any number of other big hits) already plan for these hits to occur. They're not starting their heal after it lands and assessing the damage they're dealing with. Parry can occur here but it is almost a non-factor because it does not change healer behavior. Unless I greatly misunderstand healing in this game, which is likely I suppose.

What you do want Parry for is smoothing out the damage outside of these hits. Parry is essentially useless when considering spikes but great for everything else. It'll help reduce the damage and hopefully enough to spare a healer GCD when they need to spot heal which increases their uptime on DPS which is more relevant than tank DPS anyway.

Besides, this isn't 0 Parry vs 600 Parry but more like 500 Parry vs 600 Parry vs 650 Parry.

dem midfight stoneskins tho

When you're learning fights, healers don't necessarily know when you're those big spikes in damage are going to be coming. Similarly if people elsewhere take a lot of damage unexpectedly, it helps to have that extra bit of mitigation for a few moments while the rest of the party is patched up.

For parties where everyone is super solid, and knows the fight backwards and forwards, all of this is less of an issue.

Also, I will admit that they need a secondary defense stat besides parry. I'd like to see them get a bit more creative in the expansion. Give us a secondary defense stat that increases incoming heals, gives straight mitigation, or heck maybe even a stat that increases the natural HP regeneration rate.

Just parry, as the only secondary defense stat, is a bit underwhelming.

Teremap

Banned
What the shit, I double posted somehow.
Uh... how about them fancy battle poses?
I quite like them.
Hmm, yes, I like them quite a bit.

Also, I will admit that they need a secondary defense stat besides parry. I'd like to see them get a bit more creative in the expansion. Give us a secondary defense stat that increases incoming heals, gives straight mitigation, or heck maybe even a stat that increases the natural HP regeneration rate.
By the bolded, do you mean straight-up flat damage reduction? Because we kind of already have damage mitigation in the form of defense and determination.

But a +incoming heals or +HP regen stat would be great. Hell, WARs already kind of have this built into Defiance, so having it as an additional itemization stat would be lovely.

WolvenOne

I quite like them.

Hmm, yes, I like them quite a bit.

By the bolded, do you mean straight-up flat damage reduction? Because we kind of already have damage mitigation in the form of defense and determination.

But a +incoming heals or +HP regen stat would be great. Hell, WARs already kind of have this built into Defiance, so having it as an additional itemization stat would be lovely.

Determination doesn't mitigate damage, and Defiance only increases Vitality, it doesn't increase defense.

Our only straight up damage mitigation stat, is physical/magical defense, which is determined solely by your base stats and the ilvl of your armor. There's almost zero room to play around with those stats.

WolvenOne

If you know where you need to be, the split second warmup in movement shouldn't hurt anything. They still need to fix it asap, no doubt about that, but it shouldn't affect my runs any.

Teremap

Banned
Frankly, I would be happy to see them bring back the momentum-based running animations from 1.0 - provided they nerfed all AoEs to give you enough time to move out of the way with the new speed. Wouldn't even be that difficult, either - just multiply all AoE timers by like +50% (or however much slower you are during the windup).

But I know it's actually just a bug or oversight, and it's going to be fixed, so oh, well.

Determination doesn't mitigate damage, and Defiance only increases Vitality, it doesn't increase defense.

Our only straight up damage mitigation stat, is physical/magical defense, which is determined solely by your base stats and the ilvl of your armor. There's almost zero room to play around with those stats.
I was talking about the +heals on Defiance, not the defense.

Odd that det doesn't mitigate damage tho, not sure where I got the idea that it does, but I do recall reading it somewhere... oh, well. I see that it DOES increase heals received though, which is a very odd thing to bundle into a +damage stat.

They do need to do some rethinking of the stat system. Skill Speed in particular needs some looking at, as the way it negatively affects TP management makes it so damn worthless over the long haul compared to crit or det.

IMBored

If you know where you need to be, the split second warmup in movement shouldn't hurt anything. They still need to fix it asap, no doubt about that, but it shouldn't affect my runs any.

I can see it being a problem in Titan run, but it's just very noticeable to me.
And it could be "fixed" with a simple walk/run toggle.

Robin64

So what's the land NE on the map? I can barely read the Eorzean writing. Is this going to be where the first expansion takes us?

Eorzea-map.jpg

Teremap

Banned
Northeast is Xelphatol and Ala Mhigo, with the Garlean Empire in the far northeastern corner.

The expansion is supposedly sky-themed, so it's likely there will be uncharted lands involved. That being said, I know for a fact that Coerthas is going to get expanded upon as well (with Ishgard and the whole of Coerthas outside of the central highlands ripe for expansion).

WolvenOne

Frankly, I would be happy to see them bring back the momentum-based running animations from 1.0 - provided they nerfed all AoEs to give you enough time to move out of the way with the new speed. Wouldn't even be that difficult, either - just multiply all AoE timers by like +50% (or however much slower you are during the windup).

But I know it's actually just a bug or oversight, and it's going to be fixed, so oh, well.

I was talking about the +heals on Defiance, not the defense.

Odd that det doesn't mitigate damage tho, not sure where I got the idea that it does, but I do recall reading it somewhere... oh, well. I see that it DOES increase heals received though, which is a very odd thing to bundle into a +damage stat.

They do need to do some rethinking of the stat system. Skill Speed in particular needs some looking at, as the way it negatively affects TP management makes it so damn worthless over the long haul compared to crit or det.

Determination doesn't boost incoming heals, people got the wrong idea about that due to a poorly worded description of the stat. Additionally, the 20% boost in healing on WAR with Defiance on, mainly just keeps heals proportional to the increased HP. It certainly helps to have it, no doubt, but there isn't much room to really play around with it.

The only real secondary defense stat is parry, so if Tanks are concerned with defense, their only option to whether or not they're going to stack it. Paladins have a little more personalization room with Shield Blocks, but it's parry or bust for WAR's.

Teremap

Banned
Ah, I got it. I guess some wiki editors need to update their stats pages.

What would be your preferred defensive secondary stat, hypothetically speaking? +Incoming Heals, +HP Regen, +Damage Mitigation (come up with fancy names as appropriate), etc. It'd be nice to have all of them as options, I imagine, since they would all have different strengths and weaknesses (incoming heals is great for sustained damage but does absolutely nothing to stop the tank from getting one-or-two-shot, mitigation can prevent the latter but healers may still have to work to refill their HP bar, HP regen is generally good but doesn't excel in any area, and so on).

Valor

I would argue Parry is not that important of a stat for Warriors. Warriors have a decent bit of mitigation with Inner Beast and the rest of their cds, especially the omnipresent Vengeance.

Stacking Parry when you could be stacking Strength, Crit, Determination, or even some Skill Speed seems like such a waste of time considering their HP pool and defensive abilities are more than good enough to shrug off everything the game has to offer at the moment.

With WAR it's all about that self heal game to keep you on your feet. It's a million times more reliable than Parry.

WolvenOne

Ah, I got it. I guess some wiki editors need to update their stats pages.

What would be your preferred defensive secondary stat, hypothetically speaking? +Incoming Heals, +HP Regen, +Damage Mitigation (come up with fancy names as appropriate), etc. It'd be nice to have all of them as options, I imagine, since they would all have different strengths and weaknesses (incoming heals is great for sustained damage but does absolutely nothing to stop the tank from getting one-or-two-shot, mitigation can prevent the latter but healers may still have to work to refill their HP bar, HP regen is generally good but doesn't excel in any area, and so on).

Probably mitigation and plus incoming heals, in that order, at least for main tanking. For Warrior offtanking, you're going to be putting as much of your focus on DPS stats as you can get away with, so the secondary stats to emphasize would depend largely on the weight of each stat, and how easy it is to stack each while keeping high DPS stats.

For example, if you have a lot of equipment where parry and determination are stacked together, it'd probably make more sense to stack parry. If it's determ and straight mitigation stats, that'd make more sense to stack. It'd depend almost entirely on what your options were at a given time. <_<;;

WolvenOne

Outside of the Garlean empire, we're really only seeing about half of Eorzea at most right now. Even within the area's currently available, there are little pockets of areas that just aren't open yet. Assuming the expansion opens up everything shy of the Garlean Empire, it's going to end up being huge.

WolvenOne

At least other people did the math I was too lazy to do to show how crappy parry is. Any FC members buy a tree house???

I still say parry is a good thing to have in excess if you're learning a fight, especially for Paladins. For Warriors, not as much, even when learning.

When you're not learning a fight, and the healers know exactly when to throw out those buffs, then you're probably better off stacking other things.

Kenai

Outside of the Garlean empire, we're really only seeing about half of Eorzea at most right now. Even within the area's currently available, there are little pockets of areas that just aren't open yet. Assuming the expansion opens up everything shy of the Garlean Empire, it's going to end up being huge.

There's already several item descriptions that mention "the new world", which is a continent far out west off the map. And iirc Yugiri's homeland is to the east (which would make sense). Yugiri also mentioned that there's legends of primals in her land but she didn't believe them until she saw Leviathan.

So yea, we've got room for a big game.

tenchir

There's already several item descriptions that mention "the new world", which is a continent far out west off the map. And iirc Yugiri's homeland is to the east (which would make sense). Yugiri also mentioned that there's legends of primals in her land but she didn't believe them until she saw Leviathan.

I always assume that we are on a supercontinent. Does Eorzea refer to our continent or the planet?

WolvenOne

Ideally I'd like to see the expansion open up everything on Eorzea sans parts of the Garlean empire. I'd like to see at least one part of said empire in the expansion, even if we have to wait till the expansion afterward to see more than the city gates.

For the expansion after that, I want to see Garlean, all the little islands mentioned here and there, and parts of the main continent. By that point the game should be downright huge, tho albeit we'd have to wait a loooooong time for that.

studyguy

I doubt we'll see much beyond the northern part of Eorzea, maybe bits of the Garlean empire. We're just one fucking continent. Garleans have a whole other swath of land atm. Not even counting other places around the world.

Eorzea is our continent
Hydaelyn is the planet

It'll be like XI where the map got fucking huge after expansions.

Mr. RHC

I really wanna see Ala Mhigo!

Mature

Northeast is Xelphatol and Ala Mhigo, with the Garlean Empire in the far northeastern corner.

The expansion is supposedly sky-themed, so it's likely there will be uncharted lands involved. That being said, I know for a fact that Coerthas is going to get expanded upon as well (with Ishgard and the whole of Coerthas outside of the central highlands ripe for expansion).
The expansion is sky themed? I know Yoshida wanted to do something with that, but I never heard it related directly to 3.0. I guess there's the Golden Saucer which appears to be in the sky.

Tabris

What would be really cool is if they had a story event that changes all the regions. I would love a story event where the Garlean Empire conquers Eorzea and all the cities have a bunch of imperial guards, and you then have Mor Dhona being the "rebel headquarters".

Munba

The expansion is sky themed? I know Yoshida wanted to do something with that, but I never heard it related directly to 3.0. I guess there's the Golden Saucer which appears to be in the sky.

Yoshida said they would have begin with sky and then sea ( i prefered the progression sea->sky though), so probably 3.0 has some sky theme inside.

Btw i think we'll have also the capital city in Doma with Samurai class and the new race inside, in 3.0.

WolvenOne

What would be really cool is if they had a story event that changes all the regions. I would love a story event where the Garlean Empire conquers Eorzea and all the cities have a bunch of imperial guards, and you then have Mor Dhona being the "rebel headquarters".

That'd require personal instancing on a massive scale, to accommodate people who are at different points in the story. I'm not sure it's really feasible at this point.

studyguy

I stand by the idea that we're eventually going to have to enter Garlean territory to find out what is going on there. The emperor is basically dying, if not already dead and everything indicates that the succession is in a bit of turmoil iirc.

IvorB

I want to sign up with the Empire. I think they are cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom