• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadRNG

Man this is some deja vu...

Parry is a crappy stat as much as every other secondary stat is a crappy stat. Generally speaking the only time this isn't the case is when mechanics are directly tied into the stat - such as crit for brds/sch- and even then the difference isn't gigantic. The big thing here is that parry is the only available stat to increase your survivability as a tank. The fact that it is a small increase is not an issue, as the difference in dps from going for dps stats instead is also small outside of melded gear(which I will get to in a moment.) It's already small for actual dps classes, and it gets even smaller when you consider that you got a 20-25% damage reduction on you when tanking.

The next problem with this whole argument is that you rarely have a lot of choice when it comes to itemization. You tend to have a ton of stats that aren't "optimal" simply because the game pairs stats together in random ways. Actually trying to forgo parrry entirely for det/ss/crit only is a lot easier said than done unless you want to waste a lot of stat points on accuracy, so the actual difference you get from trying to optimize only shrinks further. The lone exception to this, and the only time I see a parry vs. dps stats being an argument worth having, is for pentamelded gear. As you can put a boatload of dps stats on that stuff that you can't normally get. But most people aren't talking about that, they are arguing over the small stat gains of two equal ilevel items.

Personally I'll always take the extra survivability on content that is remotely challenging, because shaving off 5-10 seconds(maybe) of an encounter thanks to my slightly better dps doesn't match the potential for saving a run completely thanks to surviving a hit in a clutch moment. It doesn't happen every fight, but I've seen it enough times now that it's something I like to have. But it's not a big deal either, unless you are absolutely min/maxing and wearing full pentamelded accessories/full 30STR, the difference either way is going to be small. So I'm not really arguing for or against parry here, it's a crapshoot either way. Better off just wearing whatever of equal ilevel you can get easiest, and not worrying too much about it.

I gotta comment on this though, another deja vu moment, except it was Wolven who claimed this last time I think.

I would argue Parry is not that important of a stat for Warriors. Warriors have a decent bit of mitigation with Inner Beast and the rest of their cds, especially the omnipresent Vengeance.

Stacking Parry when you could be stacking Strength, Crit, Determination, or even some Skill Speed seems like such a waste of time considering their HP pool and defensive abilities are more than good enough to shrug off everything the game has to offer at the moment.

With WAR it's all about that self heal game to keep you on your feet. It's a million times more reliable than Parry.
Noooo. PLD have way better cooldowns than WAR, and we actually get less value out of parry due to block rolls coming first. If anything WAR get more mitigation from it. Parry vs STR is never an argument unless you are talking about wearing dps accessories, and at that point you clearly got the content on farm/possibly out gear it. This is the same thing as the VIT/STR choice. If you got content on farm though it rarely matters what you are doing.

And for your final statement, no, this isn't 2.0. WAR self healing is not that great. If you are using IB correctly there is a chance some of that heal will be overheal to begin with, and even if it's not the amount is very small compared to incoming damage. WAR is definitely not about a self heal game. It's about predicting attacks and using cooldowns before they come. Our WAR gears for DPS but still parried more damage over the course of our last T8 kill than he healed from IB.

I like how most of GAF's houses so far are in Ul'dah.
All the good Limsa ones were bought super fast. :(

Bright side is now I can get Kawa or someone to water my plants.

Ken

I think there was for 1 race.

The only thing ctrl-F turns up is

Certain hairstyles previously only accessible via the aesthetician are now available when creating new characters and retainers.
* These hairstyles will also be accessible when using Fantasia to change your character’s appearance.
* Certain hairstyles or face paint patterns connected to individual quests will remain exclusive.

and monk relic

G257KcG.png

Best pose

Demoskinos

I find it funny some people are getting salty about Nexus being 115 like...its been known forever that were hardly finished with the Zodiac Braves quest yet. What did they think was going to happen?

dcye

Bad, the argument I was referencing was due to someone claiming that Phegethongkgng's gauntlets were BIS for tanks due to the parry despite the 10 ilvl difference. Comment/thoughts?

BadRNG

Bad, the argument I was referencing was due to someone claiming that Phegethongkgng's gauntlets were BIS for tanks due to the parry despite the 10 ilvl difference. Comment/thoughts?
That's some vague argument, even the general BiS for tank is up for debate just counting i110 items. I don't know what the rest of his set up is, but if you just plugged in those gauntlets in most of the BiS lists I've seen you'd end up either wasting a bunch of stats on acc while getting a very small amount of parry or actually falling below the acc cap. I'd like to see the full list before I make a 100% claim but I find it very hard to believe the small parry gain would outweigh the loss in vit/defense.

So let me understand this right

PC users with controllers are screwed right now for quick dodge mechanics?
Just gotta step their psychic game up and move before the mechanic comes. No sweat.

glad we don't raid till Thursday this week, please fix before then SE

dcye

So let me understand this right

PC users with controllers are screwed right now for quick dodge mechanics?

If you change your analog sensitivity to 100% its not so bad. Still slightly noticeable but nowhere near as bad as it was at default. I had no trouble dodging all the way through coil up to last phase T9 today, and I play from Australia so I doubt anyone closer to a server would have any issues once the sensitivity is changed.

scy

The lone exception to this, and the only time I see a parry vs. dps stats being an argument worth having, is for pentamelded gear. As you can put a boatload of dps stats on that stuff that you can't normally get. But most people aren't talking about that, they are arguing over the small stat gains of two equal ilevel items.

This is pretty much all I was going at. It ultimately is only really relevant when talking about pentamelding accessories since you actually have the choice on the stats. My only gripe is the PLD BiS lists that are "If it doesn't have Parry, do not consider it" which I find to be off the mark.

My only real claim on Parry's "usefulness" is that it's a terrible survival stat. It's good for normalizing damage over the course of a fight, yes, but it isn't the stat you gear to suddenly survive a hit you weren't before. And, yeah, any DPS stat gearing won't offer returns that are noticeable. Hell, you can make the argument that saving your healer's 1-3 GCDs over the course of a fight due to Parry is a better DPS gain than full Determination :x

Has anyone checked if the moogle is up for the slime earrings?

If it's the same moogle that sold the last 2 special event items then I would fully expect the slime earrings to be from another event. Most likely something at TGS where you kill Ramuh or beta tested Ninja for them with the few minutes you're allowed to play the game for(and then the moogle gets brought back for a month when 2.4 comes out).

What is this about Alexandrite maps giving light? WTF? I've been skipping DREX since I got Novus and burning all that hunt myth on mats ... but if I could have stocked up on Alexandrite maps since then (made alts to store them with max retainers 8 x 6 = 48 maps x 4 light = 192 light)... to get a head start in Nexus...omg SE WTF.

EDIT: Rejoice, T4/Garuda HM farming saves the day. However...

Sorian

Banned
What is this about Alexandrites giving light? WTF? I've been skipping DREX since I got Novus but if I could have stocked up on Alexandrite maps since then (made alts to store them with max retainers)... to get a head start in Nexus...omg SE WTF.

http://www.cap-that.com/korra/112/images/korra1x12_0884.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

I think you're reading it wrong Korra, alex does nothing here.

BadRNG

Best patch ever. I'm almost expecting 2.4 to be delayed at this point just because this entire patch seems designed to waste people's time before actual content is added. Either farm for Nexus or farm for gil, have fun.

I hope the TGS live letter questions is just filled with players of all regions asking what the hell Yoshida is smoking, and whether or not we will get an emote to smoke it too in 2.45

Sorian

Banned
What's everyones issue with nexus? It's probably the best thing that could have happened to the relic quest, you just play the game, thats it. You can grind it but it powers up by just using it, its a smart move. No gil sink, no grinding of only one form of content if you dont want to, it makes sense.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
What's everyones issue with nexus? It's probably the best thing that could have happened to the relic quest, you just play the game, thats it. You can grind it but it powers up by just using it, its a smart move. No gil sink, no grinding of only one form of content if you dont want to, it makes sense.

Right now I play the game in crafting, fishing, weekly coil and PVP.
There's precisely zero reason for me to go back to any of the old instances or even Syrcus Tower except simply to spiritbind the relic.

Sorian

Banned
There's precisely zero reason for me to go back to any of the old instances or even Syrcus Tower except simply to spiritbind the relic.

There you go, working towards the nexus.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Better weapons will be out in a month anyway and if you're already clearing T9 it doesn't matter.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Better weapons will be out in a month anyway and if you're already clearing T9 it doesn't matter.

Well it's not like you'd be able to just reach out and grab those weapons.
Shiva's will probably be an irrelevant sidegrade to Nex and HA, middle of the road is bound to have some catch not unlike UAT putting it out of the reach for at least a couple of months - doubly so for healers if it's exactly a repeat of UAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom