• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Are you at complete Novus already? You're saying you're yet to see "real coil" and if you're not I wouldn't have even bothered if I were you. It's such a massive timesink and for what? Get Soldiery weapon if not now then in the first days of 2.4, and then get the reachable i115 which will probably go to Shiva. I absolutely regret undergoing the grind to Novus even once.

My fear so far is that the potential 2.4 meldable gear is going to simply make materia prices rise even further. What a pain, an ideal novus seems so expensive for something that might just be made useless by a primal drop. I still do sort of want that nexus light saber though if only for completion's sake.

Eldren

it's the paladain rank 40 pvp armor

It looks like Frontlines to me.

It's art for Frontlines. So that guy is wearing the paladin pvp armor set.

Oh... I still haven't touched PVP yet lol. That'll explain it then.

Is Ramuh the end of the current story? Because that's where I am. He's going down this weekend.

That's my plan too. I want to be all caught up on the story, and hopefully I can knock out an EX or two as well. I kind of want the BLM weapon from Ramuh EX, I think that'd make a nice glamour.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What's the bigger bottleneck in this game, a processor or a graphics card?

I'm debating on whether or not I should upgrade to a GTX 970/980 from a GTX 670 or just overclock the GTX 670 and my Intel i7 3770K.

WolvenOne

What's the bigger bottleneck in this game, a processor or a graphics card?

I'm debating on whether or not I should upgrade to a GTX 970/980 from a GTX 670 or just overclock the GTX 670 and my Intel i7 3770K.

Most of the time its the GPU. When there is a ton of people on a single screen however, it's the CPU.

Cmagus

Sounds like a great time.

Sounds boring but the people in that video are the same group on Cactaur that almost always seem to be the first to obtain each new version of the zodiac weapons. It doesn't surprise me they are first again they play like non stop.

NMD they waived the restocking fee. All good. New PC on the way next week.

In other news...Nexus is taking forever. But the grind begins tonight...gonna get this crap by end of weekend I hope.

WolvenOne

I think today I shall begin the process of re-speccing my Novus to Determination Accuracy.

I know determ/crit is more desirable, but until I know how easy it is to stack accuracy with the next set of gear, and the 3rd Coil accuracy cap, it's probably best to play it safe.

Can always respec the accuracy to crit later, if it isn't necessary.

WolvenOne

So, I ordered my new PC and was able to get the GTX 970 from the vendor who is making my PC. The only issue is I ordered a GTX 970 off newegg, too, which I planned to install on the machine originally. Now I'm stuck with it. The return policy mandates a restocking fee even though the item hasn't even shipped yet, and will cost me 55 dollars and I'm losing the shipping fee. I'm trying to get them on the line to argue it hasn't shipped, but should they not back off on the restocking fee, would anyone want to buy it off me? I will ship it for free.

This is the one I bought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684

In other news...Nexus is taking forever. But the grind begins tonight...gonna get this crap by end of weekend I hope.

Erf, bad timing. A month from now I probably would, my GPU is loud and can't max out this game anyway. After having just paid for a rather pricey plane ticket for Fanfest tho... <_<;;

I think today I shall begin the process of re-speccing my Novus to Determination Accuracy.

I know determ/crit is more desirable, but until I know how easy it is to stack accuracy with the next set of gear, and the 3rd Coil accuracy cap, it's probably best to play it safe.

Can always respec the accuracy to crit later, if it isn't necessary.

If you don't need to hit an accuracy cap just yet, why not respec as much accuracy as you feel like you need when you do know the amount?

Sorian

Banned
Some madness in westwind for about an hour. It's efficient but damn if it isn't mind numbing.

cuT5VMW.png

studyguy

God damn if PLD accuracy had to be higher than it already is with some of the pieces of gear beyond the next few steps of coil I'd be surprised. You can easily outstrip ACC requirements to a ridiculous degree at the moment depending on the gear. I just hope the stat balance isn't as terrible as it was for 2.3 with tanks.

So I finally built my estate and got my gardening patch. I'm really confused about gardening. I've read all about it and the glazenut loop looks appealing, but with only one bed I don't know if it's the best option. I can get the Grade 3 Than Soil myself, but don't have a BOT or much money. What would you guys recommend?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wake me up.
qFrSxtH.png

Wait, no, don't wake me up.

Edit: Description of Sunday (Saturday in American timezones) stream on Nicovideo implies it's a Q&A... again? Not 2.4 LL? What? Yoship pls.

Allard

Wake me up.
qFrSxtH.png

Wait, no, don't wake me up.

Edit: Description of Sunday (Saturday in American timezones) stream on Nicovideo implies it's a Q&A... again? Not 2.4 LL? What? Yoship pls.

Directly from the lodestone.

Sunday, September 21, 2:15 p.m. (JST)
Saturday, September 20, 10:15 p.m. (PDT)
Latest News: Yoshi-P will be revealing the latest details from the upcoming 2.4 patch, including the new class and job, the new primal, new dungeons, and much, much more!

The Live Producer letters are always structured as Q&A's but the contents are going to be based on 2.4 related questions and details on new stuff in 2.4. Wonder if info on 2.4 info is going to get split up again similar to 2.3 update live letters, half in the TGS, another half in a live letter (fanfest) right before it releases.

Edit: Also I wonder when we are going to start getting update teases. They usually start rolling out around a month before release, I suppose maybe soon after the live letter this weekend? He said 2.4 was about a month out from release.

studyguy

Because both Crit and Determ are hecka expensive, where as I wouldn't really need to spend anything to keep my current accuracy stats unchanged.

Bruh hecka expensive is an understatement
Shit, I could buy a house or two with what it would cost to sink a decent meld right now D:
Feel like that DRG where I'd be better off melding dumb crap to my relic out of protest.

WolvenOne

Bruh hecka expensive is an understatement
Shit, I could buy a house or two with what it would cost to sink a decent meld right now D:
Feel like that DRG where I'd be better off melding dumb crap to my relic out of protest.

Three way splits aren't that bad, and it looks like you can respec later on if Det/crit 4s drop in price.

aceface

Everyone who's all "THERE'S NO REASON TO DO TITAN EX ANYMORE EVER" is a liar.

The omnirod's eyes move.

<3

So what you're saying is you're up for some EX Primals tonight.

RE the live letters, there's two. The one (late) tonight is a Q & A (YoshiP 2 hours of apologizing), the one Saturday night is focused on 2.4.

Allard

RE the live letters, there's two. The one (late) tonight is a Q & A (YoshiP 2 hours of apologizing), the one Saturday night is focused on 2.4.

The one tonight is just a recap/year in review complete with the first annual census since the games relaunch. Its not going to be a standard Q&A and other then maybe talking about some more recent changes/controversies will likely be very light on any content other then statistics (like the most popular job/race combination, how many active players, the most capable PvP player nations across all servers) etc. :p I wouldn't even consider it a proper live letter, its probably going to be more like E3 last year (not this year) where they BSed on the first day and had a special guest where they showed off the FFXIV/Lightning Returns Co-collaborations, in this case the BS will be on the census. The real live letter is on Sunday/Saturday but who knows we might get something interesting tonight.

docbon

Yeah, I don't think I have the fortitude to grind out the rest of this relic quest.

Game mechanics that encourage you to twiddle your thumbs for 2-4 hours in one spot waiting for a FATE to pop instead of actually playing the game? and I have to do this multiple times? Suck my dick yoshit p.

edit: Fortunately minmaxing isn't a huge thing for healers, so I can probably deal with the book of diamonds. yoshi p be praised.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, I don't think I have the fortitude to grind out the rest of this relic quest.

Game mechanics that encourage you to twiddle your thumbs for 2-4 hours in one spot waiting for a FATE to pop instead of actually playing the game? and I have to do this multiple times? Suck my dick yoshit p.

edit: Fortunately minmaxing isn't a huge thing for healers, so I can probably deal with the book of diamonds. yoshi p be praised.

Just get the high allagan book.

dramatis

So I finally built my estate and got my gardening patch. I'm really confused about gardening. I've read all about it and the glazenut loop looks appealing, but with only one bed I don't know if it's the best option. I can get the Grade 3 Than Soil myself, but don't have a BOT or much money. What would you guys recommend?
If you're looking to make money from gardening, that might be difficult. It's more of a thing to help you save money, on mats for minions and stuff. Pick an item, like glazenut or something as a target, then build your crop rotation off of that. Seeds can probably be bargained off somebody.

iammeiam

I'd rather have wiped to Mog EX all night than watch my easy 15 minute DB release bloat to a two hour adventure.

Sadly only one of those things pays my bills. :/

When exactly will this update 2.4 come out? The NIN/Rogue job is the first one I think I'm interested in having seen the trailer. I always gravitated to the far eastern jobs/pet jobs in 11 because their stats were balanced and their job abilities didn't offer a huge amount of draw backs, so NIN is right up my alley. If they could add SAM and BST in the future I'd really be on board then.

The biggest thing holding me back from 14 is the selection of jobs, fear of balance issues, and people moving on from certain pieces of content and never being able to do them. 11 never instilled into me confidence that SE could pull it together with balancing jobs-hell ESPECIALLY pet jobs. I wasn't completely sold on it as an old school FF11 player, but with Destiny being so disappointing to me, and not liking what I played from renting Diablo 3, I'm thinking of buying into FF14 when NIN hits.

Is it really easy to get into alone? Will I need a big group to get stuff done mid game? End game? Has the community moved on from some of the content? I'm worried about getting these relic weapons done that I saw on the FF14 wikia. I had an Amanomurakumo for SAM pre-abyssea and a Guttler for BST post-abyssea in 11 so I'm no stranger to grinding. Is the price of the sub the same price as FF11? Do you need a zillion toons as mules for space? I looked at their website and they have some different price structuring for monthly subs and ways to pay for it, so I was hoping to keep the sub similar to 11.

Sorry to ask all these questions that I'm sure have been asked a million times in subsequent OTs. I just didn't want to start another thread over it and the OP doesn't answer all my questions.

Teknoman

When exactly will this update 2.4 come out? The NIN/Rogue job is the first one I think I'm interested in having seen the trailer. I always gravitated to the far eastern jobs/pet jobs in 11 because their stats were balanced and their job abilities didn't offer a huge amount of draw backs, so NIN is right up my alley. If they could add SAM and BST in the future I'd really be on board then.

The biggest thing holding me back from 14 is the selection of jobs, fear of balance issues, and people moving on from certain pieces of content and never being able to do them. 11 never instilled into me confidence that SE could pull it together with balancing jobs-hell ESPECIALLY pet jobs. I wasn't completely sold on it as an old school FF11 player, but with Destiny being so disappointing to me, and not liking what I played from renting Diablo 3, I'm thinking of buying into FF14 when NIN hits.

Is it really easy to get into alone? Will I need a big group to get stuff done mid game? End game? Has the community moved on from some of the content? I'm worried about getting these relic weapons done that I saw on the FF14 wikia. I had an Amanomurakumo for SAM pre-abyssea and a Guttler for BST post-abyssea in 11 so I'm no stranger to grinding. Is the price of the sub the same price as FF11? Do you need a zillion toons as mules for space? I looked at their website and they have some different price structuring for monthly subs and ways to pay for it, so I was hoping to keep the sub similar to 11.

Sorry to ask all these questions that I'm sure have been asked a million times in subsequent OTs. I just didn't want to start another thread over it and the OP doesn't answer all my questions.

All I can answer are the questions about party content and character storage. You dont need that many characters for storage as you have a decent sized inventory and two npc assistants called retainers that also have inventories for your storage needs. The majority of the story content is solo, aside from dungeons and certain important boss instances.

Everyone seems to do all content since it retroactively becomes important again with future updates, for better or worse.

Sophia

The class balance is really good currently. There isn't any class that's overly dominant, although Summoners do come out ahead in a lot of stuff. Tank/Healer balance is especially good. Personally, the two pet classes (Summoner and Scholar) are among my favorite right now due to their versatility and higher than average skill cap.

The 2.4 update should come out mid October.

To answer your questions quickly, in order: Yes. No. Possibly. No. Kind of. No.

You only really need one character, the community still does all content that is relevant, the duty finder makes finding people insanely easy for anything and there are incentives for endgame players to help low level players. Your character has what is called an armory which is like a second inventory specifically for holding equipment. The armory can hold 25 pieces of gear per equipment slot. So space usually isn't an issue as long as you're not holding redundant gear.

The subscription fee is different from FFXI. They have two options: One which allows for a single character per world, eight characters max. Another which allows for eight characters per world and 50 max.

aceface

My computer crashed right after beating T5 and since I stupidly was using the wrong software token I'm now locked out of my account for "Several minutes." Well at least we got T5 down for a few people.

Allard

So bets on Aurum Vale HM being announced as a new dungeon?

Very unlikely, Aurum Vale, Dzahmel Hold, Toto-rak and Cutters Cry are already on their second version of the dungeons even if the originals are no longer in the game. Probably Satasha (to complete the lvl 15-17 dungeon HM spread), and Qarn HM with a new dungeon in North Shroud or Coerthas. Maybe we might eventually get the beast-men stronghold dungeons that were originally talked about when 2.0 was first announced, but we are missing one of the earliest dungeons 'shown' for 2.0 in the North Shroud dungeon near the Dullahans.

All I can answer are the questions about party content and character storage. You dont need that many characters for storage as you have a decent sized inventory and two npc assistants called retainers that also have inventories for your storage needs. The majority of the story content is solo, aside from dungeons and certain important boss instances.

Everyone seems to do all content since it retroactively becomes important again with future updates, for better or worse.

Well its good to know I won't be completely screwed on past content if that's the game.

The class balance is really good currently. There isn't any class that's overly dominant, although Summoners do come out ahead in a lot of stuff. Tank/Healer balance is especially good. Personally, the two pet classes (Summoner and Scholar) are among my favorite right now due to their versatility and higher than average skill cap.

The 2.4 update should come out mid October.

Well thats good to hear about the balance. I think I spent more time LFG on Samurai than anything else cause everyone thought the job was gimp. I'd like to not have a repeat of FF11 SMN or BST as well where a gimped ass WHM with max of cure 3 circa 2003-04. I basically gave up on SMN at 35 till I came back during abyssea cause I didn't want to be a fake WHM.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the DD jobs are probably in overabundance? lol
I may start before the update is out if its really that close.

You only really need one character, the community still does all content that is relevant, the duty finder makes finding people insanely easy for anything and there are incentives for endgame players to help low level players. Your character has what is called an armory which is like a second inventory specifically for holding equipment. The armory can hold 25 pieces of gear per equipment slot. So space usually isn't an issue as long as you're not holding redundant gear.

Have you ever personally had issues with space then? Just looking at what people are doing endgame from the forums-it doesn't look like you can macro in and switch equipment during battle over and over again for specific abilities/WS like in 11. Is there some kind of general purpose builds for all jobs that keeps space from being an issue? Or are there more specific builds for different NMs?

And how does the duty finder work? Is the content a lot of the content instance content? How much incentive is there to help low lvl players?

The subscription fee is different from FFXI. They have two options: One which allows for a single character per world, eight characters max. Another which allows for eight characters per world and 50 max.

That seems fair. I think I can deal with 12.99 a month for now. Wondering if I should bother with the collectors edition though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Have you ever personally had issues with space then? Just looking at what people are doing endgame from the forums-it doesn't look like you can macro in and switch equipment during battle over and over again for specific abilities/WS like in 11. Is there some kind of general purpose builds for all jobs that keeps space from being an issue? Or are there more specific builds for different NMs?

And how does the duty finder work? Is the content a lot of the content instance content? How much incentive is there to help low lvl players?

You switch classes by switching main hand weapon. You can store a large number of gear sets and swap them on the fly. Some equipment is class-based, some fits a role, some fits general category. It's enough space to keep all your classes geared with you at all times. You probably won't have more than one build for a class at a time as the game is really rigid with what you can do with stats.

Duty finder is LFG matchmaking for instances. You'll come back to low level dungeons either for your relic progression quest if you want, to level up other classes or for untradeable endgame token currency.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Live Letter part one.
They started by addressing housing, lol.
Same exact excuses.
Why isn't it instanced? We'll tell you tomorrow!

Every server's getting Dodo Earrings, please act surprised.
DQX Producer now on stage.
Slime Earrings are now on the line like Dodo Earrings were, time to go beat Ramuh some more TGS visitors.

HEALERS ARE 7%
I REPEAT HEALERS ARE ENDANGERED SPECIES
HEALER AND PROUD

There's only one person with a Chocobo LV20. Probably that reddit guy.

Census slides: http://imgur.com/a/pEzlr#0 (via Reddit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom