• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvorB

Congrats all the same. We went into Ifrit EX the other night with mostly fresh people and came out relatively unscathed. Usually when you go with fellow FC members, everything ends up working out eventually :p

Yeah it was pretty great to get through that on my first attempt at Coil. Help night is the way forward. How is Ifrit EX? Nobody seems to talk about it.

So this weekend was pretty good. I got me a Leaviatin, unweathered it and it's pretty rad. Even the glow isn't that bad. I think right now I'm putting out some decent DPS. I played a Hullbreaker Isle and we got the Saskwatch down before the second set of monkeys even arrived. Only got one ATMA though. *sigh* At least FATEs in Southern Than are quite entertaining.

I am sure I will feel dumb afterwards, but I am going to ask anyways. Is there a trick to beating the Penitent Man quest? I have tried 3-4 times and cannot even get close to killing the agaric fly swarm. I am a lvl 32 Bard and my main equipment is up to date, but I just cannot kill them before they kill me.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I am sure I will feel dumb afterwards, but I am going to ask anyways. Is there a trick to beating the Penitent Man quest? I have tried 3-4 times and cannot even get close to killing the agaric fly swarm. I am a lvl 32 Bard and my main equipment is up to date, but I just cannot kill them before they kill me.

The quest should've given you a vial of something. Use it on them when they spawn and before they attack you.

Easy mode:
Use the key item you got from the quest. It weakens them and cuts their HP.

Hard mode:
Don't use the key item. Drag them over to the guard to Fallgourd Float and get him to start fighting them for you. It will take a while. Use potions and Cure/Physick to desperately try to stay alive in a war of attrition.

I did hard mode by mistake back in the day. It didn't work.

aceface

Ok reddit has pointed out that the Odin trial is only 15 minutes. Probably a special trial for the attendees at fan festival.

BOOOOOOOOOO

Munba

Well if they programmed it, they probably will add that then into the game for sure.

I remember in an interview, devs wanted to make a specific quest for odin in the future. That seems perfect fot the cause (similar to gilgamesh -> the side-story brings you to the trial).

Zalasta

I have 51 NQ and 10 HQ Silver Sovereigns. Is this real life? Always have the worst luck with this stuff.

EDIT: Make that 52. whyyyyyyy

My final tally was 71 NQ and 20 HQ, so good luck with that. I also lost about a handful of catches towards the end despite my gathering being 304+ (maxed out on melds but no food buff).

studyguy

Started helping out a my personal LS's static-ish group. Walked them through Twintania, they ended up clearing after some persistence when I was away for an hour. /clap

Forgot how much fun clearing Twin for the first time was, they were all super excited. :)

studyguy

They weren't super serious before, they were more into getting their home first. They grinded up enough money to buy a lot during the expansion recently and now have turned to coil. Going to end up running with them in a different position, should be interesting. Overall if feels like my first group, much more fired up than we ended on my last.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Ok reddit has pointed out that the Odin trial is only 15 minutes. Probably a special trial for the attendees at fan festival.

BOOOOOOOOOO

Maybe this version is for the festival, but it's just implemented ahead and there's an actual public one coming?
Seems pretty unrealistic they'd design a whole trial just for fan events.

Allard

Maybe this version is for the festival, but it's just implemented ahead and there's an actual public one coming?
Seems pretty unrealistic they'd design a whole trial just for fan events.

What about a special trial for the Halloween event and the mount is the main drop? The witch cosplay gear wasn't confirmed as the only new thing from it. And Odin would fit right in with any Halloween motif.

My final tally was 71 NQ and 20 HQ, so good luck with that. I also lost about a handful of catches towards the end despite my gathering being 304+ (maxed out on melds but no food buff).

I've been doing some fishing lately, but how do you know your HQ % chances or your gathering chance? Is there an equivalent to the miner ability that would tell you how much perception you need to be able to get 1% HQ? I'm really clueless here.

Also is there any benefit to melding battle crafted gear for fisherman to get higher gathering and perception? How would that affect your success chance?

In other news, I'm making progress in getting my house to look presentable from the outside. Made a ornate oasis fence, a chimney and the cactuar? roof decoration. My garden should be giving me something today, let's hope I get the crossbreed seeds I want. I made the 3 star pond, but since it sells for 300k I went ahead and put in on the MB. I'll make another one for myself in the future when I'm a little more solvent. I'm at around 100k, since everything I make I've invested in that money pit called a private residence.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I've been doing some fishing lately, but how do you know your HQ % chances or your gathering chance? Is there an equivalent to the miner ability that would tell you how much perception you need to be able to get 1% HQ? I'm really clueless here.

Also is there any benefit to melding battle crafted gear for fisherman to get higher gathering and perception? How would that affect your success chance?

In other news, I'm making progress in getting my house to look presentable from the outside. Made a ornate oasis fence, a chimney and the cactuar? roof decoration. My garden should be giving me something today, let's hope I get the crossbreed seeds I want. I made the 3 star pond, but since it sells for 300k I went ahead and put in on the MB. I'll make another one for myself in the future when I'm a little more solvent. I'm at around 100k, since everything I make I've invested in that money pit called a private residence.

HQ % is based on Perception, just like for BTN and MIN. Nobody knows the exact values or caps. Using i70 accs lets you have 9 extra gathering and perception which is
either helpful in general or vital for catching the two highest level fish without an FC buff.

iammeiam

You basically have to go outside the game to sites like FFXIV Angler to get raw numbers for gathering/perception required. In-game, if you hook a fish but don't have the gathering required to catch it the game will say so (this is different from the fish getting away because RNG hates you.) People report back their stats when they get their message, their stats when they catch, and the community works out the minimums. HQ and NQ fish have seperate gathering minimums, too--I think NQ sovs are 290 and HQ are 300.

The current rule of thumb is to just stack as much perception as humanly possible. For gathering, the current highest requirement is over 380 gathering for Frilled Shark (and I think one other fish but it doesn't desynth into anything cool.)

With i70 battle accessories, everything melded fully, a Supra rod, and Bara Brand HQ Spinach Quiche, I hit 383 (I think) gathering. If I didn't have the i70 accessories, I couldn't catch an NQ frilled shark without an FC gathering buff.

Frilled Shark is also a triple mooch (3 HQ fish needed in a row to have a shot at catching a frilled), so perception is also vital to increase my chances of favorable RNG.

studyguy

Been playing Ogre Battle: Let Us Cling Together and have been surprised at just how much of this mirrors XIV in skills. I mean design wise it's obvious we're on the same art director, but man. Maybe it's just the localization? What a great title. Strikes me as super similar.

The crafting in this is fucking awful though.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I've played this game on and off since 1.0, but it never really grabbed me. These past few weeks have been great. The quests are more interesting than any other mmo I've ever played, and I'm having a blast fishing and mining. Fucking around with the market is also a ton of fun. I really like being able to do everything with one dude.

The worst thing is the housing. I hope they figure that shit out.

Zalasta

With i70 battle accessories, everything melded fully, a Supra rod, and Bara Brand HQ Spinach Quiche, I hit 383 (I think) gathering. If I didn't have the i70 accessories, I couldn't catch an NQ frilled shark without an FC gathering buff.

Kind of ridiculous that you can't get the best meld with the best gathering accessories but have to use i70 battle ones -_-

Allard

Housing won't be fixed till they simply add an indefinite amount of wards that can fill everyone's need at dirt cheap. Even then, everyone will be livid should they introduce housing elsewhere.

Part of me thinks a decent chunk of the housing dilemma is exactly this issue in bold. They are already going to extremes to keep the 'eventual' reduction in FC housing demand by incorporating personal housing into the same system. You can bet as new cities and territories are introduced that additional housing zones are going to pop up and since they aren't instanced that means unless they consolidate the other housing wards that they are going to need to allocate additional resources to those new zones without removing the old ones, essentially that means eventually we will have enough zones for everyone more then likely, but it won't come right away. I think this is a mistake, but I also see why they are worried over putting out too many housing zones at one time till they are filled. They know new housing zones are likely coming with the expansion like for Ishgard (Hell Maybe even at Revenant's Toll considering how large its getting!)

studyguy

Had an argument with an FC mate over the existence of Crab Oil.
He kept saying there's no way you'd squeeze a crab and get anything but crushed shell and goop.

Lo and behold.
7142914486_Product.ashx

Remember guys, you can milk anything with nipples.
So it stands to reason that you can crush anything into oil

Had an argument with an FC mate over the existence of Crab Oil.
He kept saying there's no way you'd squeeze a crab and get anything but crushed shell and goop.

Lo and behold.

Remember guys, you can milk anything with nipples.
So it stands to reason that you can crush anything into oil

That's crab boil. Zatarain is seafood seasoning.

Crustaceans doesn't have fatty tissue like mammal has so testing oil out of them is impossible.

studyguy

Bullshit, I could milk a crab.

Also I wish I could desynth myth gear, I have so much of it that's useless now that I don't need GC seals.
Pain in the butt to turn in, make gear, desynth. Just cut out that middleman.

i'm glad yoshi pretty much mirrored what i said earlier about personal housing in his live letter.

i think it would be more intersting if we could buy houses you see in the open world. buy a hut somewhere in the wild. no instances. if it's gone, it's gone. wouldn't solve anything, but it would be nice to have.

WolvenOne

That's crab boil. Zatarain is seafood seasoning.

Crustaceans doesn't have fatty tissue like mammal has so testing oil out of them is impossible.

Crabs have fatty tissues, so you can indeed derive oils from them. Fats and oils are a fairly common component of life in general, so they're found in most/many organisms.

iammeiam

Kind of ridiculous that you can't get the best meld with the best gathering accessories but have to use i70 battle ones -_-

Even with buying a set of i70 accessories just for it, I'm pretty sure melding out fisher is cheaper than BTN or MIN, especially since you can take NQ and have the same meld cap and don't have an offhand to deal with.

It's definitely a bizarre design choice/oversight, but one that worked out okay for me since I was able to scale up slowly and not really feel like I was screwing up my melds because I couldn't afford rank IV GP materia and I could just slap the Gathering and Perception IIIs on.

Master Fisher's ring having +GP on it is a good indicator SE just does dumb crap with fisher, though.

WolvenOne

Also, if they're putting additional Odin assets into the game, including an instance entrance point, then chances are we're getting an actual Odin Trial. First, because generally Trials require too many resources to make them only for fan events. Second, because if that were the case, they probably wouldn't be pre-loading fan event assets into the public game.

studyguy

Would it really be that strange to put in some small instance?
I wonder if the 15m is tentative. Personally I'd be happy to see a more involved Odin battle.
Either way it could just sit there for ages too.

I mean we still have this holdover for some strange reason.

To my knowledge it doesn't relate to 1.0 and if it truly is in ARR, we haven't seen it yet.

Anyway, there are 15m battles out there for Ramuh and Levi as well that are very clearly Fan Fest.
I'm hoping for more, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The Sleipnir whistle is the only thing of interest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom