• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, there's a lot to be said for kicking back in bed with headphones on enjoying the forest scenery with the vibrant OLED. And the pace of the game mitigates worries over lag. I played it for 6 hours straight this way yesterday, and it sucked me right in, in a way playing on a big screen across the room with other environmental distractions often doesn't.

that sounds pretty nice. maybe i should try it.

Eldren

XIV's expansion will be given to you for free, hand delivered by YoshiP himself. He'll tuck you into bed and tell you stories about all the fantastic jobs you wanted. Every FF job you ask for will be granted. Then he'll slip into bed with you and rub your head till you nod off to sleep. When you wake up
you'll be a catgirl in Eorzea. Just like you always wanted.

This all sounded amazing right up until the end. No thank you.
Eorzea needs more FemRoes

Was said at e3 and I think at the last live letter too. Then again so have many things lately and plans changed.

Ok well it's good to know I wasn't imaging it. I'll have to look up the transcript of that live letter. Hopefully they can keep themselves on track for future patches and updates. I actually have quite a bit of content still to do and 2.4 is coming soon so I should be pretty occupied for a while.

Edit: Yep you were right.

Q: Is there anything you can tell us about the expansion?
A: ...We'd like to share details with players globally at the same time, so please wait for Fan Festival to hear details about the expansion.

Q: You've already announced ninja to be a new DPS job, but are there any plans to add a new tank or healer job?
A: For the 2.0 series, only the rogue and ninja in patch 2.4 will be added. Please wait for information to be released in the future regarding other roles. I'm thinking it will be around October 17th...

Ok so the 17th, that's not too far away

-----

Unrelated to the above: in what order should a BLM buy soldiery gear? I have the legs already from a few weeks back (I quite liked the way they looked but I ended up glamouring over them anyway lol). I read somewhere that the gloves are a good choice stat-wise. Any opinions?

iammeiam

I would argue that every turn of coil has completely predictable damage coming towards a dps, especially turn 7, where all the damage a bard takes is from fireballs, which come at a regular rotation. Turn 9 gets more chaotic in the last phase. Until then, it's pretty easy to deal with as a bard.

Damage for me in my (admittedly limited) experience has been fairly unpredictable in T6 largely due to vines--sometimes I don't get picked, sometimes they get broken quickly, sometimes both people change directions multiple times and it takes forever, sometimes briars everywhere makes things tougher. T6 also seems to have more happen in really quick succession so I still generally have no sense of what's coming next. 7's not so much the unpredictable damage as the RNG in voice and (god forbid I try to kite something) Renaud placement. Spending a few hours in 6 and 7 gave me a rough overview of what to do but I never got comfortable with the pacing and generally didn't have a feel for when the next thing was coming.

9's opening surprised me by being paced to the point where by the end of the night I generally knew what to do when, where to be, and what was coming next. I think I'm mostly surprised that I'm less likely to spectacularly fuck up T9's first phase than 6 or 7's. I know it gets crazier later, it just wasn't what I was expecting given the amount of stuff Nael does in that phase. She just does it with big pauses between.

WolvenOne

Damage for me in my (admittedly limited) experience has been fairly unpredictable in T6 largely due to vines--sometimes I don't get picked, sometimes they get broken quickly, sometimes both people change directions multiple times and it takes forever, sometimes briars everywhere makes things tougher. T6 also seems to have more happen in really quick succession so I still generally have no sense of what's coming next. 7's not so much the unpredictable damage as the RNG in voice and (god forbid I try to kite something) Renaud placement. Spending a few hours in 6 and 7 gave me a rough overview of what to do but I never got comfortable with the pacing and generally didn't have a feel for when the next thing was coming.

9's opening surprised me by being paced to the point where by the end of the night I generally knew what to do when, where to be, and what was coming next. I think I'm mostly surprised that I'm less likely to spectacularly fuck up T9's first phase than 6 or 7's. I know it gets crazier later, it just wasn't what I was expecting given the amount of stuff Nael does in that phase. She just does it with big pauses between.

First phase is mostly about meteor placement, everything else is pretty easy. Slightly harder for melee range classes though, since the tank occasionally explodes. (That's just one more thing to deal with.)

Frumix

Suffering From Success
T9 feels a lot more stiffly scripted and thus easier overall than something like T7 with its heap of RNG. Yeah, meteors are random, thunderstrikes are random, there's three dragon formations, but the way you deal with all this positionally barely changes.

studyguy

T9 is super scripted, it doesn't even have randomness until the first heaven's fall and the floor starts lighting up. Even then it's just novas being placed while you're playing simon says with the floor. People will fuck up at first, but if you can burn through the phase then the only real randomness is fucking up dives/ice/thunder/fire. Before that what is it? Meteors? If you're unlucky enough to have a couple land on you at once then sure, but otherwise it's whatever.

T6 and T7 are all about small dumb RNG things fucking you over. A bee, a center bulb and bouquet dropping in a row just feel like bad luck along with continuous center bulbs. A DPS/mage getting a bunch of voices is the same deal in T7. None of them are enough to wipe in most cases, but it's simply small chips of annoyance.

T8 tho, might as well sleep through that fight.

WolvenOne

T8 tho, might as well sleep through that fight.

I might note, T8 is my least liked Second Coil turn. Off Tanks feel like such a fifth wheel in it. :p

Nothing to pick up, no real additional mechanics to deal with. At best we're on landmine duty, and are otherwise just DPSing the entire fight.

studyguy

I might note, T8 is my least liked Second Coil turn. Off Tanks feel like such a fifth wheel in it. :p

Nothing to pick up, no real additional mechanics to deal with. At best we're on landmine duty, and are otherwise just DPSing the entire fight.

You get to whip that wet noodle damage something fierce though.

WolvenOne

You get to whip that wet noodle damage something fierce though.

You mean intercept that missile that uses a line to target people?

Well I learned that fight as a DPS, (raid leader insisted on single tank, sigh,) so they had somebody else deal with that, since I was learning how to DPS effectively at the time.

I've ran that fight as a Tank a few times since then, but most groups seem to have an assigned interceptor that they trust. So literally as Tank I'm there to pop landmines and to fill the eight man qouta. *sigh.*

Tabris

Well I learned that fight as a DPS, (raid leader insisted on single tank, sigh,) so they had somebody else deal with that, since I was learning how to DPS effectively at the time.

That raid leader is a smart guy :) It's useless going into T8 with two tanks. Simply don't need it. Absolutely 0 reason for it.

Can anyone recommend a more currant state of the game/overview video or Let's Play series?

I am sooo close to jumping into this and need to see where it's at.

Cheers!

WolvenOne

That raid leader is a smart guy :) It's useless going into T8 with two tanks. Simply don't need it. Absolutely 0 reason for it.

After people are geared up, there's not much benefit to running an extra DPS. For starters you're far less capable of recovering if things go wrong. (Yes it's doable, but most people won't.) Second, you're forcing multiple people to run around and do additional mechanics when they should be focusing on DPSing, which eats into the already fairly modest DPS gains you have.

Basically, most groups will end up having higher DPS, if it's a Tank running around and doing things like popping landmines and such.

Tabris

After people are geared up, there's not much benefit to running an extra DPS. For starters you're far less capable of recovering if things go wrong. (Yes it's doable, but most people won't.) Second, you're forcing multiple people to run around and do additional mechanics when they should be focusing on DPSing, which eats into the already fairly modest DPS gains you have.

Basically, most groups will end up having higher DPS, if it's a Tank running around and doing things like popping landmines and such.

Totally disagree. There's a huge benefit to having an extra DPS, 150 DPS worth actually which equates to a reduction of 5-10% of the fight (which reduces the amount of things going wrong when you don't need to deal with the 3rd set of towers in Phase 2 and 3 - which we no longer have to deal with anymore unlike before). And the only benefit to having a 2nd tank is that he can pop more than 1 landmine.

We have our BRD run around and pop the extra landmine and he can attack while popping so it shouldn't reduce his DPS on that side.

6 tanks 2 healers is the way to go

You joke, but I would really like to see this on some fights. A STR spec tank without Defiance or Shield Oath can easily do 300 dps (which is higher than some DPS I've seen...), and it's much more durable than a DPS class, so it should let healers also do more DPS as well. Or something like 4 tanks 4 healers could also be interesting. I'd love to see some creative ways to tackle fights for a change.

Jayhawk

Let's see if I remember how to clear Turn 9 in a couple nights. I might have to install this JP client version I got from TGS since I'm more familiar with seeing everything in Japanese now.

Can anyone recommend a more currant state of the game/overview video or Let's Play series?

I am sooo close to jumping into this and need to see where it's at.

Cheers!

I would say you should jump in blindly and experience it first hand by yourself. Don't need to worry about end-game stuffs, hunting, FATE grinding etc. Just follow the main story, pick up any side quests along the way and enjoy sceneries. FFXIV is truly beautiful and has massive amount of things to do.

How much Gils are you guys earning each day? Right now I'm poor as hell but manage to at least put up merchandizes worth 100K a day. I think it's a long way to go before I can reach 5M goal I'm aiming at. Maybe I should seriously focus on leveling miner. Paying for shards and clusters really breaks my bank.

WolvenOne

Totally disagree. There's a huge benefit to having an extra DPS, 150 DPS worth actually which equates to a reduction of 5-10% of the fight (which reduces the amount of things going wrong when you don't need to deal with the 3rd set of towers in Phase 2 and 3 - which we no longer have to deal with anymore unlike before). And the only benefit to having a 2nd tank is that he can pop more than 1 landmine.

We have our BRD run around and pop the extra landmine and he can attack while popping so it shouldn't reduce his DPS on that side.

Pfft, no no.

A fully geared WAR that's properly utilizing it's rotations and CD's can DPS at just over 300, not counting the buff they give to MT's simply for being there. A similarly geared DRG, that's well practiced at their rotation, will, "maaaaaybe," give you 100 more DPS, if they're not dealing with any mechanics at all, in most cases they'll be delivering considerably less then that.

If a group is fully geared and learning the fight, it's better to go with two tanks, and to put as many of the mechanics as possible onto the second tank, so the DPS can focus on DPS. "If," a group has already learned how to do one tank strat, that's another story, but you're increasing the learning curve significantly enough that most new groups at this point, will likely clear it with two tanks sooner than they would if they were doing the one tank strat.

aceface

Pfft, no no.

A fully geared WAR that's properly utilizing it's rotations and CD's can DPS at just over 300, not counting the buff they give to MT's simply for being there. A similarly geared DRG, that's well practiced at their rotation, will, "maaaaaybe," give you 100 more DPS, if they're not dealing with any mechanics at all, in most cases they'll be delivering considerably less then that.

If a group is fully geared and learning the fight, it's better to go with two tanks, and to put as many of the mechanics as possible onto the second tank, so the DPS can focus on DPS. "If," a group has already learned how to do one tank strat, that's another story, but you're increasing the learning curve significantly enough that most new groups at this point, will likely clear it with two tanks sooner than they would if they were doing the one tank strat.

Disagree with this. I tried learning T8 with two tanks and with one tank and it was a whole lot easier with one tank. In my experience the fight went faster with one tank, we were skipping the 5th set of two towers (the mines and dred set) a lot more consistently, and there's really not much to gain from having two tanks. One tank can tank everything fairly easily, dps can blow up the mines. What you gain by having two tanks is not worth the loss of dps IMO.

Speaking from a healer's perspective, the true key to T8 is bringing two scholars.

iammeiam

I don't understand group composition zealotry--a lot of stuff can be cleared solo or dual tank, and it seems like the best one to pick is heavily reliant on who is in the group, not just on some idealized fight strategy. It's not like you get better loot for clearing quicker, and if your ideal comp is making one of your group members uncomfortable you're probably gonna have a bad time (obviously hitting enrage is a problem, but I don't think there's anything that HAS to be solo tanked to avoid enrage if DPS in on the ball.)

Tabris

Pfft, no no.

A comparable geared and experienced DRG from WAR should be a 400+ to 300~ difference. Then you factor in the 10% buff to BRD and that's another 30-40 damage. That ends up being a total of 5+% difference in the fight. Which can be the difference between 2 and 3 sets of towers in Phase 2 and 3 which is a big deal.

Also when we were learning we were on the edge of enrage timer, so any extra DPS was more valuable than a bit of a safety net. I do agree two tanks can help a learning curve sometimes. For T9, we will continue going with a two tank method until you have a WHM feel comfortable enough with everything else to tank their own golem. Then we will switch to a single tank method.

WolvenOne

Disagree with this. I tried learning T8 with two tanks and with one tank and it was a whole lot easier with one tank. In my experience the fight went faster with one tank, we were skipping the 5th set of two towers (the mines and dred set) a lot more consistently, and there's really not much to gain from having two tanks. One tank can tank everything fairly easily, dps can blow up the mines. What you gain by having two tanks is not worth the loss of dps IMO.

Speaking from a healer's perspective, the true key to T8 is bringing two scholars.

Again, there are plenty of groups out there that have actually reported a loss in DPS with one tank strat. Additionally, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but it sounds like you learned 1 Tank first, then tried to learn 2 tank later.

Relearning the fight through a different method is always going to seem more difficult than doing it the way you're used to. That doesn't have any bearings on groups that're learning the fight for the first time.

WolvenOne

A comparable geared and experienced DRG from WAR should be a 400+ to 300~ difference. Then you factor in the 10% buff to BRD and that's another 30-40 damage. That ends up being a total of 5+% difference in the fight. Which can be the difference between 2 and 3 sets of towers in Phase 2 and 3 which is a big deal.

Also when we were learning we were on the edge of enrage timer, so any extra DPS was more valuable than a bit of a safety net. I do agree two tanks can help a learning curve sometimes. For T9, we will continue going with a two tank method until you have a WHM feel comfortable enough with everything else to tank their own golem. Then we will switch to a single tank method.

You're doing that nonsense? 9_9;;

studyguy

Again, there are plenty of groups out there that have actually reported a loss in DPS with one tank strat. Additionally, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but it sounds like you learned 1 Tank first, then tried to learn 2 tank later.

Relearning the fight through a different method is always going to seem more difficult than doing it the way you're used to. That doesn't have any bearings on groups that're learning the fight for the first time.

Learning some PUG group methods to tank coil was wonky as all fuck.
Some dudes had me rotate the T7 boss over and over once, they kept petrifying each other though so whatev. If a method works, idgaf I'll use it.

WolvenOne

Talk to me when you've cleared T9 :p Until then, don't judge.

I'll judge as much as I want, my job is off tanking, I'll scoff as much as I want at people that're eager to take my job away.

Second, don't throw that crap at my face. You haven't cleared it yourself.

WolvenOne

Selling T9 carry for the highest bidder of you two so someone can have the upper hand in this argument.

I don't particularly want to be, "carried," nor do I really want to argue. I just want to quietly work on clearing these fights the way they were intended. Similarly, I don't want to be reminded of my lack of progress, especially when the person doing the reminding is a certain somebody whom I'm still sore at.

Tabris

I don't particularly want to be, "carried," nor do I really want to argue. I just want to quietly work on clearing these fights the way they were intended. Similarly, I don't want to be reminded of my lack of progress, especially when the person doing the reminding is a certain somebody whom I'm still sore at.

Oh well.

Anyways, back to the point, as content becomes easier or learned, unless tank swapping is required, single tank method is usually the leading way to go. OT is a dying breed for a lot of fights in my opinion. Also makes MT job more fun.

WolvenOne

Oh well.

Anyways, back to the point, as content becomes easier or learned, unless tank swapping is required, single tank method is usually the leading way to go. OT is a dying breed for a lot of fights in my opinion. Also makes MT job more fun.

Tried the fights from MT perspective, most of them are boring as heck, easy too.

OT is always always the more enjoyable position, and they're, a practical necessity in most fights, despite your insistence otherwise. 9_9;;

aceface

I'm curious on this - Why is that? More DPS?

No, it's more that with two scholars you have more lustrates to use to get people back up to full after blowing up mines but before DR explosions. Also, double Sacred soil on the dred spawns helps the tank. On DR explosions, both scholars can cast succor before and then pop whispering dawn at the same time to get the raid up to full health pretty quickly. It may just be a quirk but all the successful clears I've had have been 2 SCH.

No we did 2 tank with our original group, mainly because both tanks didn't have another job available. We were running up close to the enrage every time. Then with our current group we did one tank and started skipping tower sets and everything just went a lot faster. Granted that is also probably due to better gear.

Tbh, if you can't dps down t8 with 4 i110 weapon dps, then that's a dps problem, not a tank issue. We were 1 tank in the beginning then afterwards we switched to 2 tanking turn 8 and it's still a super easy fight.

aceface

Tbh, if you can't dps down t8 with 4 i110 weapon dps, then that's a dps problem, not a tank issue. We were 1 tank in the beginning then afterwards we switched to 2 tanking turn 8 and it's still a super easy fight.

Well when we were originally attempting it with two tanks about two months ago, I think only one of our DPS had an i110 weapon. That's when we were hitting the enrage.

WolvenOne

No, it's more that with two scholars you have more lustrates to use to get people back up to full after blowing up mines but before DR explosions. Also, double Sacred soil on the dred spawns helps the tank. On DR explosions, both scholars can cast succor before and then pop whispering dawn at the same time to get the raid up to full health pretty quickly. It may just be a quirk but all the successful clears I've had have been 2 SCH.

No we did 2 tank with our original group, mainly because both tanks didn't have another job available. We were running up close to the enrage every time. Then with our current group we did one tank and started skipping tower sets and everything just went a lot faster. Granted that is also probably due to better gear.

The gear makes a pretty darn big difference. At around ilvl100, it was a pretty big struggle to break 200DPS as a war. At ilvl109, I can hit 300 without too much trouble, and that's with a less than optimally specced OT weapon. (Really should have gone Det/Crit. Parry/Acc is a main tank weapon.)

Similarly, my DPS went up by nearly 100 on DRG, with the same rotation, as I went from ilvl100 to ilvl107.

If everyone in the party gains 10 ilvls, the cumulative increase in DPS is immense. While single tanking with a party that knows the mechanics well will improve that moreso, the bulk of that improvement almost certainly came from the gear.

Valor

Not sure if you're implying Disembowel alone would raise BRD damage by 30-40 points total. That's kind of ludicrous to say, though. Disembowel is probably good for an extra 10 points, and WAR dps rotation mitigates damage and also cuts slash resist which increases dps of WAR and PLD alike, so they're a net dps gain as well, especially as offtank specced into DPS.

TL;DR WAR are more than capable of holding up damage as a dps.

WolvenOne

Not sure if you're implying Disembowel alone would raise BRD damage by 30-40 points total. That's kind of ludicrous to say, though. Disembowel is probably good for an extra 10 points, and WAR dps rotation mitigates damage and also cuts slash resist which increases dps of WAR and PLD alike, so they're a net dps gain as well, especially as offtank specced into DPS.

TL;DR WAR are more than capable of holding up damage as a dps.

If you're going for damage as a WAR, it's best to alternate between Butchers Block and Storms Eye. Storms Path mitigates, sure, but it's a definite DPS loss to work it into your rotation. It's best to use it while learning, as healers get the hang of the fight. Once they do though, it should be dropped ASAP.

Only problem with SE/BB rotations, is that if done well they'll threaten to take enmity off of MT's. I've even managed to do with against STR speced wars with the High Allagan Battle Axe.

Pretty sure he was phoning it in during that Moogle HM run though.

Valor

If you're going for damage as a WAR, it's best to alternate between Butchers Block and Storms Eye. Storms Path mitigates, sure, but it's a definite DPS loss to work it into your rotation. It's best to use it while learning, as healers get the hang of the fight. Once they do though, it should be dropped ASAP.

Only problem with SE/BB rotations, is that if done well they'll threaten to take enmity off of MT's. I've even managed to do with against STR speced wars with the High Allagan Battle Axe.

All I'm saying is that WAR can dps and still help out the MT. I suppose you could try to argue against my defending your stance that Warrior dps is legitimate, though. Not sure why you'd do that, however.

That STR specced WAR with the Battleaxe is bad, then, or yeah, phoning it in. That's the exception. Not the rule.

studyguy

If you have to have 2 tanks, WAR MT PLD OT is the way it has to be.
WAR to keep its DPS relatively high for a tank in Defiance and PLD for that delicious Sword Oath damage.

Given the choice I'll always take another DPS over a tank though, no sense in bringing a lame horse to a DPS race.

Ha, it's always fun doing OT in trails roulette, watch the less geared tank pull asap, not pop any offensive cds, and I proceed to pull it off doing my dps rotation

aceface

Given the choice I'll always take another DPS over a tank though, no sense in bringing a lame horse to a DPS race.

This is kind of how I feel. If there's utility to bringing a second tank then sure, but I just don't see it for T8. The MT can easily tank the dred in the center and dps can pick up he mines and that tether one.

Tabris

This is kind of how I feel. If there's utility to bringing a second tank then sure, but I just don't see it for T8. The MT can easily tank the dred in the center and dps can pick up he mines and that tether one.

They only need to grab the mines on their side too. So you can assign 2 people to do it on the party side L or R, takes them 2 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom