• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My group normally runs with two tanks, but our WAR tank chose to go DRG for T8 back when we were progressing in it. When our raidwide DPS was well-above the minimum requirement, he went back to WAR for T8.

Two tanks in T8 makes the fight much more consistent. The OT will never get Allagan Field so you'll have at least two bodies guaranteed to get a biotower at an assigned time and there'll be no need to swap people for Homing Missile tethers. Having the OT help get landmines instead of a squishy DPS is also helpful. The MT (me) still picks up the Dreadnaught though.

studyguy

As a new tank, I don't like this talk of solo tanking. I want a job.

Times are tough, bruh.
Gotta pull on them bootstraps if you're gonna make it out here.
Dude can't even own his own home, much less get a stable 9-5 static.

Yoshida, where's my fucking hairstyles?
Most recent Highlander hair added have all the style of a blind man walking into a weedwacker
Or Tommy Wiseau, your choice.

scy

Times are tough, bruh.
Gotta pull on them bootstraps if you're gonna make it out here.
Dude can't even own his own home, much less get a stable 9-5 static.

time to switch to Ninja

everyone gonna need more DPS

While you're all busy debating the merits of single vs duo tanking, Titan-Egi is lurking around the corner, plotting his next move. RIP tanks.

Real talk, every time I lose threat to Titan-Egi on a hunt, I cry.

There is always space for tanks.

Except in ST

I finally got to live the ST tank dream of looking at the groups and going "fuck it, pulling."

it's liberating

what do you mean I still have mechanics to deal with as MT?

WolvenOne

My group normally runs with two tanks, but our WAR tank chose to go DRG for T8 back when we were progressing in it. When our raidwide DPS was well-above the minimum requirement, he went back to WAR for T8.

Two tanks in T8 makes the fight much more consistent. The OT will never get Allagan Field so you'll have at least two bodies guaranteed to get a biotower at an assigned time and there'll be no need to swap people for Homing Missile tethers. Having the OT help get landmines instead of a squishy DPS is also helpful. The MT (me) still picks up the Dreadnaught though.

Thank you!

It always boggles my mind when people try pushing tank tasks off onto DPS. They have low HP, lower defense, and if healers need to burn heals for any reason they don't have a realistic chance of holding emnity.

There are a couple of badly designed fights in this game where it might make sense to single tank under certain circumstances. For the most part though, the added instability never really strikes me as an equitable trade off.

Besides, people should be able to go into fights on the classes they signed up as. So it's not really fair for the people that mainly off tank.

Tabris

No need to alternate homing missle. Our mnk grabs it every time. He doesn't worry about land mines or towers until he's called to one during phase 3.2

Optimal play will always be single tank there. There should be no debating that. Optimal vs safe / consistent play. If you guys want to run T8 as two that's fine. And Tia, why you worried about other teams strats going single tank. You're in a static now, you can go dual tank for everything you want.

Thank you!

It always boggles my mind when people try pushing tank tasks off onto DPS. They have low HP, lower defense, and if healers need to burn heals for any reason they don't have a realistic chance of holding emnity.

There are a couple of badly designed fights in this game where it might make sense to single tank under certain circumstances. For the most part though, the added instability never really strikes me as an equitable trade off.

Besides, people should be able to go into fights on the classes they signed up as. So it's not really fair for the people that mainly off tank.

In a game where you can literally play any class you want on a single character, that argument really doesn't hold much ground if you run with a static group. If running another dps over a tank that has a very limited role in certain fights is better as it makes the fight end faster(therefore less healer mana used, less resources needed/whatever), then that's just how it is. It's the way many fights in mmos work actually, some fights require more of one thing over more of another, it's just the majority of other mmos don't allow nearly as much customization when it comes to what people play unless they were to reroll another class from scratch.

Gear was never even an issue on t8 as far as "pushing dps classes to do tank things", all it did was give a larger margin for error when it came to getting hit by things. I've been doing all the mechanical things other than towers/mines as a bard since the first few weeks of 2.2 coming out, and as anyone that has raided with me knows, my gear was terrible until over a month had passed(nothing dropped before). Just because something looks like a "tank mechanic" doesn't mean it's actually meant for them.

Thank you!

Sounds like people are trying to force a little bit of 11 into 14. Of course main tanking in that game is poorly designed and practically a lost art-not to mention most DDs have a shit ton of survivability in that game.

I hope the same doesn't happen here.

Redx508

why so sad qhon
ojDZnBG.gif

WolvenOne

No need to alternate homing missle. Our mnk grabs it every time. He doesn't worry about land mines or towers until he's called to one during phase 3.2

Optimal play will always be single tank there. There should be no debating that. Optimal vs safe / consistent play. If you guys want to run T8 as two that's fine. And Tia, why you worried about other teams strats going single tank. You're in a static now, you can go dual tank for everything you want.

It's not a static until I finish filling all the roles. As for T8, again your trading stability and extra survivability for a relatively small amount of additional DPS. Skipping a tower or two near the end is not worth that instability.

It's not a static until I finish filling all the roles. As for T8, again your trading stability and extra survivability for a relatively small amount of additional DPS. Skipping a tower or two near the end is not worth that instability.

Except you don't need that "extra survivability" as adding another dps who does another 100 or so dps over an OT will lessen the load placed on the healers and everyone else when you push phases fast enough to skip towers. There is nothing in that fight where an OT is drastically better than a dps class who can do all the mechanics just as well if the healers know what's coming.

Moaradin

Then what happens when your MNK gets Allagan Field? Do you just push it off to the healers to shield? Just curious.

I never get Allagan Field for some reason. Maybe it's because I'm almost always second in aggro and it doesn't target the second on the enmity list? Not sure how that works.

Teknoman

Why do you keep on mentioning mirrors when it is much easier to get a soldiery weapon or T5 weapon. You could do your animus before you ever won a mirror.

you could become president of the united states before you ever won a mirror

I dunno, I just really like the design of the weapon, and wanted it to be viable aside from glamour. That and I like the fight.

Tabris

DRG will always be the dregs of every FF game.

From Kain being friend zoned in FF4 to DRGs waiting for parties for hours in FF11 to DRGs falling off Titan's zone in FF14.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Well I finally decided to start my free trial and Ultros isn't accepting any new characters:/ Guess I'll wait until later to start.

BadRNG

Optimal for max dps maybe, but that's an arguable term. Strictly speaking though nearly every endgame fight in the game can be single tanked if max dps is what you define as optimal. Many can be solo healed as well. Do you guys go 1 tank in T6/T7 as well? Did you do 1 tank in all the turns in old coil? Do you also run one healer? Or do you not have enough confidence in your group?

And I imagine his response was due to the fact you come off as saying your way is the only worthwhile one, and then follow up with the insinuation that groups that do two tank are bad. My group actually does one tank for T8, but I can't really get behind the argument that two tank is that bad. It's not like Titan HM where there was literally zero benefit, having a tank take care of the miscellaneous mechanics during T8 can more than justify it's use.

Guys seriously they both work shut up about T8 already.
Only reasonable method is MNK tank imo.

Yeah that is sad, you could really use those pants to go along with your healing robe when it drops this week.

chrono01

If leveling WHM to 50 guaranteed Makoto a lewd anime figurine, he would do it no questions asked!
All classes, including the non-released ones [such as Ninja] would already be Level 60. Yes, 60. I would find a way.

Figures as payment? Yes please! It didn't work so well for the protagonist in Akiba's Trip 2, but considering how things ended up for him, I don't think he's complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom