• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorian

Banned
It kinda sucks if you aren't with the crowd for that initial push because it becomes tough sledding if you get left behind.

I don't know from firsthand experience, but I imagine that's what atma grinding must be like now. I remember when that patch first dropped and PF had at least 10 entries for fate farm groups at any time and now I may see one fate/atma grinding group over the course of an entire week and that might not even happen.

Teknoman

I don't know from firsthand experience, but I imagine that's what atma grinding must be like now. I remember when that patch first dropped and PF had at least 10 entries for fate farm groups at any time and now I may see one fate/atma grinding group over the course of an entire week and that might not even happen.

Getting Atmas arent too bad now. Aside from the drop rate, you will usually still have people running around or new people jumping into a fate.

scy

Before Nexus came out, I saw maybe 1 or 2 Atma parties a day and they'd typically be 1 or 2 people in them. Now there's like 3-5+ and they actually cycle through people.

Of course, I'm already finishing up my Novus so it helps me none but still >> At least I'll be all caught up to Nexus some time before 2.4.

rubius01

plus you can really do the vast majority of this stuff by yourself.

...I wanted T5 done at least before 2.4 but I think I'm going to give up. It's not even hard, it's just so frustrating on the DF. Only it, Titan, Ifrit and Ramuh Extreme left for me (before attempting second coil).

Sorian

Banned
plus you can really do the vast majority of this stuff by yourself.

Yes, but a lot of the grindy portions of it have been set up so that it's a solo affair but things move along much quicker if a lot of people are doing it. If I have to grind out a ton of FATEs, I'd rather be following a mob of 30 people from FATE to FATE instead of running around by myself soloing them.

WolvenOne

...I wanted T5 done at least before 2.4 but I think I'm going to give up. It's not even hard, it's just so frustrating on the DF. Only it, Titan, Ifrit and Ramuh Extreme left for me (before attempting second coil).

Do not DF any of those fights, seriously. That's a recipe for disaster. In this game, people who have no idea how to run a fight use DF to feel it out. As such, it is almost impossible to run of those fights using the Duty Finder.

Party Finder, "can," be successful, especially in comparison to a DF, but they're by no means a magic bullet either. Your best bet is to try to put together a group of people that still need that fight, and to practice it together. That way you can all figure it out together.

Tabris

Well right now a bunch of people on the server are grouping together to farm content. It might not be like that a few weeks from now.

That's a really good point. I've been taking it casual but it may be harder like atma became with less people doing the HM fights.

WolvenOne

So, somebody pointed me toward F.lux today, a program that dims screens in such a way as to mimic the effects of gaming glasses.

Gadzooks, I can't believe how much less headache inducing this game is now. Before, after about 1.5 hours, I kinda had to start looking away from the screen every few seconds to keep my eyes from bugging out too badly.

.....in retrospect, that's probably not something I should not have put off solving. <_<;;

Also, no I'm not advertising, the programs free so... XD

One more day till I can play again. This really sucked missing a weekend, going to be so behind on nexus, didn't cap soldiery on main, couldn't level up alt nor clear CT/T5 on it during weekend when people could help. Does Blizzard offer weekend support or no? Would contacting a GM in-game have any chance (could make another account to do that).

Ran Ran

Is it still worth it to get into this game at this point? I played the beta for the PS3 and PS4 and really enjoyed it. I've never really jumped head in to an MMO before but I love Final Fantasy.

Edit: If I was to get it, I would get it for PS4 if that makes any difference.

Valor

Is it still worth it to get into this game at this point? I played the beta for the PS3 and PS4 and really enjoyed it. I've never really jumped head in to an MMO before but I love Final Fantasy.

If you enjoyed it, then sure. There's a ton of catch-up mechanics for the end game to make gearing up rather easy and quick. 2.4 is around the (sizable) corner, so there's going to be a swell of people returning to the game for it.

gryvan

One more day till I can play again. This really sucked missing a weekend, going to be so behind on nexus, didn't cap soldiery on main, couldn't level up alt nor clear CT/T5 on it during weekend when people could help. Does Blizzard offer weekend support or no? Would contacting a GM in-game have any chance (could make another account to do that).

I giggled

Ran Ran

If you enjoyed it, then sure. There's a ton of catch-up mechanics for the end game to make gearing up rather easy and quick. 2.4 is around the (sizable) corner, so there's going to be a swell of people returning to the game for it.

Yeah one thing I worried about was it would take me too long to catch up to all the high end players but if they have a system in place to make that easy then that's great.

I'm not sure blizz can offer support for FFXIV.

I didn't meant to squish that question into the XIV stuff. What I meant with the question was do other MMO dev/pubs offer weekend support? Is FF XIV/SE abnormal in this regard?

I went to bed at 9pm last night...but I didn't sleep in as usual to pass the time faster and woke up when I posted above. Now I'm stuck watching the last few seasons of How I Met Your Mother instead of getting my Nexus...

aceface

If you love Final Fantasy you gotta play this game. Even if MMO's are not for you, you'll love the free month.

Nakazato

Anyone got a good tank guide ? Going to finish my pld since I need to have at least one tank lvl'd when I come back next week before I start lvling thf or nin

dark_chris

There's your problem. Using DF to beat that fight. Do not do that. Get some peeps from your FC and use PF to get the rest of the people to help you. It's much much better. If you're on Ultros, you can get a bunch to help us out

aceface

Is the learning curve for the game's mechanics very big?

It may seem intimidating at first but the game really eases you in to the mechanics slowly. Also if you have any questions it helps to ask here or join the GAF Free Company on the Ultros server and ask there.

scy

Yeah one thing I worried about was it would take me too long to catch up to all the high end players but if they have a system in place to make that easy then that's great.

I started around August and am pretty much end-game raiding geared. At this point, it's more about finding groups that are learning the content rather than getting the gear to do it.

And as for the learning curve bit, you're given a lot of time to learn your class/job throughout the game. The exception to this will be the specific mechanics for dungeons / boss fights / etc. that you sort of need to know. But you can typically just give the group a quick "Hey, first time here" and someone will fill you in on anything major you have to do. That or the mechanics boil down to "don't get hit by the really big and angry AoE circles."

Anyone got a good tank guide ? Going to finish my pld since I need to have at least one tank lvl'd when I come back next week before I start lvling thf or nin

Depends on what you want out of the Tanking guide, I guess. Most are WAR since the PLD extra mechanics aren't really there. Shield Lob -> Flash x 2 -> Halone combo -> Rotate Halone combo through targets. You can move the second Flash to after your first Halone if DPS isn't going AoE heavy / are sticking to your primary target. Low levels / pre-Halone mean more Flash use and keeping an eye on the enmity meters so you know where to place Savage Blade. Use your cooldowns since they're fairly low cooldown as well but don't just stack all your defensive ones at once.

For instance, my boss fight opener is Fight or Flight + Shield Lob -> Bloodbath -> Circle of Scorn + Fast Blade -> Rampart, run through boss to turn it away from party -> Savage Blade + Spirits Within (unless needed for silencing) -> Rage of Halone -> more Halone combos -> ohgod Halone -> 1 2 3. After that you just sort of need to know the fight to watch for when you want to use Sentinel (or know that you can just use it) so your Healer can keep DPSing. Also, I like to Bulwark when my threat lead is massive and I know the boss will auto me for the next 20 seconds so I can just Shield Swipe a lot to conserve TP / do more DPS.

The "hard" part of tanking as PLD won't be how you push your buttons but just knowing what the fight will throw at you and being in position to get adds, ready to pop cooldowns to mitigate big hits, making sure you don't get the DRGs cleaved (too many times), etc.

Edit: If you're just starting out tanking, get in the habit early on to mark your targets. Maybe people will ignore them but it really helps on how you want to prioritize your enmity if you have a kill order. Once you're comfortable with tanking / think your DPS are good, you can stop marking outside of "make sure you kill this first" situations.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I love Final Fantasy too but I don't like MMOs.
But I love this game. It reminds me so much of what FF is/was and how it was absent for 8 years.

Eldren

There's your problem. Using DF to beat that fight. Do not do that. Get some peeps from your FC and use PF to get the rest of the people to help you. It's much much better. If you're on Ultros, you can get a bunch to help us out

I managed to beat Garuda EX using duty finder but that's it. I was in a couple of groups yesterday trying Mog EX (via PF) and Leviathan EX, and in both cases the tanks would leave after 1 or 2 wipes and then everyone else would cascade from there. Very frustrating. I'll ask the FC in future, for sure.

iammeiam

DF gets kind of a bad rap--the only stuff I think are almost unclearable through it are Titan EX and Twin. It could happen, but your odds of a workable group are low. Not sure on Ramuh since I haven't attempted as much as I should, but tank macros make getting to adds at least easy. As the community gets more experienced there I expect it to improve.

Everything else will fail... A lot... But should still be doable (it's how I cleared almost everything the first time.) You do run in to essentially every kind of player, and you have to have a high tolerance for failure, but I tend to feel more like I earned my DF clears than the stuff I cleared with FC people.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DF gets kind of a bad rap--the only stuff I think are almost unclearable through it are Titan EX and Twin. It could happen, but your odds of a workable group are low. Not sure on Ramuh since I haven't attempted as much as I should, but tank macros make getting to adds at least easy. As the community gets more experienced there I expect it to improve.

Everything else will fail... A lot... But should still be doable (it's how I cleared almost everything the first time.) You do run in to essentially every kind of player, and you have to have a high tolerance for failure, but I tend to feel more like I earned my DF clears than the stuff I cleared with FC people.

Titan Extreme can be cleared in DF... it's just rare.

Sorian

Banned
I don't think I'll cap soldiery this week. I can't think of anything else I really want to buy before the soldier cap goes away and I'm only 300 away from 2000/2000 which is where I want to be at day one of 2.4 just in case they add materials that I can buy and overcharge for.

Isaccard

I don't think I'll cap soldiery this week. I can't think of anything else I really want to buy before the soldier cap goes away and I'm only 300 away from 2000/2000 which is where I want to be at day one of 2.4 just in case they add materials that I can buy and overcharge for.

That's really smart; I can't imagine anyone else thinking the exact same thing

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I only capped because of Nexus grind but I didn't cap the past few weeks before that and stopped capping on my alt as well. No real need really.

Demoskinos

Are DF parties even past conflags on Twin? Last time I attempted a T5 DF party for funsies when I was bored we barely got to conflags.

Started out as a lancer, liked it, got to level 18.

Switched to marauder when I got to Limsa Lominsa because I knew I needed level 15 in that to get to dragoon. It's kinda dull in the early going tbh - though I did see one guy with this totally sweet suit of kingly armour that made me jelly.

Then I started giving conjurer a spin. It's pretty cool so far, not sure which I like better, this or lancer (though I do like the lancer's staying power better - solo fights, especially against more than one foe, are often lengthy wars of attrition).

Not sure which direction I'm going to go in...I've read about the cleric stance and how you can become more offensively minded that way, but that means getting thaumaturge in the long run right?

Sophia

Not sure which direction I'm going to go in...I've read about the cleric stance and how you can become more offensively minded that way, but that means getting thaumaturge in the long run right?

Cleric stance is just an ability you get as Conjurer when you need to DPS. It doesn't change your primary role as a healer, nor do you need to level Thaumaturge to use it.

Mind you, if you are going Conjurer, there are other reasons to level Thaumaturge. But that isn't one of them. :p

Cleric stance is just an ability you get as Conjurer when you need to DPS. It doesn't change your primary role as a healer, nor do you need to level Thaumaturge to use it.

Mind you, if you are going Conjurer, there are other reasons to level Thaumaturge. But that isn't one of them. :p

I'm just thinking down the road you can carry skills over from other classes, so it makes sense to use black magic there if you're already cranking mind.

Sorian

Banned
I'm just thinking down the road you can carry skills over from other classes, so it makes sense to use black magic there if you're already cranking mind.

You can't cross class every skill from a different class. For example, you do have access to a few BLM spells but none of their offensive ones.

Sorian

Banned
Ah, okay. Got it.

Aside from just looking up each particular spell (which you'll end up doing once you get a class to 50 to see what you need), you'll notice that when you scroll over a spell and get the description, at the bottom it'll say affinity and then a bunch of classes and jobs afterwards. That's how you know what skills can cross class to another one.

It kinda sucks if you aren't with the crowd for that initial push because it becomes tough sledding if you get left behind.
This is my biggest worry, I constantly see people grinding Nexus, or working through T5 or T7 or whatever...and I just hit level 40, no idea what most of those things even mean--just that I'm a long ways from 'catching up' if such a thing is even possible.

Hoping Hunts help with that, but everything I've heard/read suggests going through T1-5 is a giant pain in the rear, and most of GAF seems to have already done it. At the very least I look forward to at least knowing what folks are talking about in FC chat soon! :p

aceface

This is my biggest worry, I constantly see people grinding Nexus, or working through T5 or T7 or whatever...and I just hit level 40, no idea what most of those things even mean--just that I'm a long ways from 'catching up' if such a thing is even possible.

Hoping Hunts help with that, but everything I've heard/read suggests going through T1-5 is a giant pain in the rear, and most of GAF seems to have already done it. At the very least I look forward to at least knowing what folks are talking about in FC chat soon! :p

You don't have to do T1-T4 and it's not too bad getting a T5 clear group together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom