• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my biggest worry, I constantly see people grinding Nexus, or working through T5 or T7 or whatever...and I just hit level 40, no idea what most of those things even mean--just that I'm a long ways from 'catching up' if such a thing is even possible.

Haha, I've been playing every spare minute for 10 days straight & I'm only level 18 in my main class, and I just switched over to alchemist. 98% of this thread is greek to me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I leveled two crafting jobs before I got my Artisan Specs. Once I have those, is there anything useful to do with my old AF head pieces? They are nowhere near spiritbonded, and I was thinking of just selling them to GC.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
The key is when you play. Ultros PFer for progression and clear activities is most active Tue - Thu 6pm EST to 12pm EST.

I think that's what's killing me. Being on the West Coast, I'm usually only getting on when stuff is either in-progress or winding down for the night. I'll keep an eye on it, but may consider a more PST-centric server in the future.

Doodlebug

So, somebody pointed me toward F.lux today, a program that dims screens in such a way as to mimic the effects of gaming glasses.

Gadzooks, I can't believe how much less headache inducing this game is now. Before, after about 1.5 hours, I kinda had to start looking away from the screen every few seconds to keep my eyes from bugging out too badly.

.....in retrospect, that's probably not something I should not have put off solving. <_<;;

Also, no I'm not advertising, the programs free so... XD

Thank you! This is amazing and might actually save me money on buying a new monitor quite so soon. I had been consistently raising and lowering my brightness in concert with the time of day I was using my computer. So much so, my lowering button was becoming increasingly unresponsive. It would take me 5 minutes sometimes to find the right pressure spot to get the brightness where I wanted it. This is much better on my eyes.

Is is okay to link to? Here it is if anyone else wants to try it.

orion434

So I leveled two crafting jobs before I got my Artisan Specs. Once I have those, is there anything useful to do with my old AF head pieces? They are nowhere near spiritbonded, and I was thinking of just selling them to GC.

If they are 100% spirit bonded, convert them to Materia. Otherwise the best you can get with them is Desynthesis for 2x Fieldcraft II Demateria.

klee123

Titan Extreme can be cleared in DF... it's just rare.

Depends on the server.

When I was on Admantoise (US Server), being able to clear Titan Ex via DF is like winning the lottery.

Since transferring to Tonberry (Japanese server) recently, I've cleared Titan EX via DF 10 times out of 10 attempts and usually on the first attempt too.

Only problem is that the Japanese don't really talk much on df.

Teknoman

It was always Divebombs wrecking my DF groups. Echo makes conflags a joke.

I got to twisters once in a DF.

I didnt think anyone would have conflagration trouble. Divebombs are easy to dodge after you understand how it works with the green crosshair and of course focus targeting her.

Now that I know how twisters work, i'm ready to destroy Twin.

This is my biggest worry, I constantly see people grinding Nexus, or working through T5 or T7 or whatever...and I just hit level 40, no idea what most of those things even mean--just that I'm a long ways from 'catching up' if such a thing is even possible.

Hoping Hunts help with that, but everything I've heard/read suggests going through T1-5 is a giant pain in the rear, and most of GAF seems to have already done it. At the very least I look forward to at least knowing what folks are talking about in FC chat soon! :p

Nah, there are still a good chunk of us that havent done certain trials yet. Just make sure you jump in on help nights (friday, saturday) or whenever someone asks for a first time clear party.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Reddit claims DF in Japan is for serious play. You don't got to DF to wipe with randoms, you PF for that. Interesting concept but I won't debate as only on JP data center I had a sub-30 ST run.
All the "Must know this fight!" "Please have watched the video!" quite honestly sound - and are desperate.
I still can't get a fourth TEX clear in PF which I occasionally attempt for fun. Because oops, a bard died. Whoops, a drg disconnected. Oh shit, tank is new and walked off the edge. Oh good I'm the last one on the arena. Again.
On the other hand I helped a bunch of folks clear Ultima HM the other day! That was a thing.
I mean, it's not like there's less shitters in Japan than in the West? ...Is there?

Did we not get Slime Earrings too? :[
You get one!
And you get one!
Everybody gets one!

dcye

Man, for some reason we just aren't getting the last phase right in Nael. I think we need a video review session as a group, just to bang it into some heads what's actually happening.

People say the last phase is easy and you're basically home but it just happens so damn fast, you barely get the chance to see what's happening before it's too late. Then you have to go through the whole fight just to see it again for 30 seconds.

I suppose that's half of the battle. At least I'm finally nearly there after a full patch cycle of broken statics.

Ken

JP PF is pretty serious business. i joined a levi group once and got some giant contract about loot

ibnNB1NQa5uY2L.png

Man, for some reason we just aren't getting the last phase right in Nael. I think we need a video review session as a group, just to bang it into some heads what's actually happening.

People say the last phase is easy and you're basically home but it just happens so damn fast, you barely get the chance to see what's happening before it's too late. Then you have to go through the whole fight just to see it again for 30 seconds.

I suppose that's half of the battle. At least I'm finally nearly there after a full patch cycle of broken statics.

try splitting up and simplifying the fight

1. fire out, fire in and spread (the third fire doesnt matter and neither does ice since that's out of your control). this is the phase where you want to keep a close watch of party list debuffs
2. super nova hang out somewhere close to mid and just start running in on 2 novas
3. now you have a couple of seconds before divebomb markers go out; you can take this time to find the spot and move to it. dps really doesn't matter too much as getting divebombs right is far more important. also the biggest tip for meteor streams is that 2/3rds of 4. the map is safe: second DB spot and first DB spot afterwards. also make sure to give the first DB target space to run in cause stacking meteor streams is rough.
5. nael comes down and you get a ton of time to DPS and refocus as she autos into bahamuts favor
6. repeat

of course you have to rely on 7 other people but if you can get to last phase consistently you guys should be more than capable of doing these simple things

Frumix

Suffering From Success
JP PF is pretty serious business. i joined a levi group once and got some giant contract about loot

That's pretty standard. I see party leaders doing that in Excal greed parties all the time. Call loot, here's your table of the loot, let's go.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
that's dumb

How so? This is a byproduct of a rigid party composition as imposed by Jesus "More Options is Less Options" Christ Yoshi P. As in, the mindset that you shouldn't be screwed out of loot you want just because you need to come on a class that isn't the one you want the loot for. Don't like? Make a need party.

Qvoth

the problem with DF for old content like old ex primals and t5, is that only the people that hasn't cleared them uses it nowadays

so even if you join via DF, you'll probably end up with others who hasn't cleared, and the cycle keeps going

my advice is, go buy a carry run, t5 and old ex primals should be super cheap nowadays, should just be 200-300k total

edit: well it's called a greed pt for a reason, you can always create a need pt on your own

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yeah, I heard Excal offers them for free.
Ooohhh.

Nah. We charge.

Although guild-wide efforts to get colleagues up to speed is how it SHOULD be. Say you bought gil and got a carry. What next? Are you just going to buy every hard battle? You learned nothing and achieved nothing. It‘s like cheating on an exam.

Teknoman

This Friday I wont be home till after 11...so hopefully while waiting for Smash to hit, some T5 stuff or general help night stuff will still be going down.

Pachimari

Ugh, I'm getting error code: 601 when trying to sub with my MasterCard. And their moderator didn't help much on their boards.

Do I have to have money on my account, even though I'm subbing for a 30-day trial for FFXI?

studyguy

The Excal leads who tell me to wait so they can update their giant as fuck macro that list the rolls are always fucking lol. Like dude just copy paste it somewhere and post it back who gives a shit.

Qvoth

You are everything wrong with the game.

lol
i'm not ashamed to say (in fact i've mentioned it a few times in the old threads) that i did buy a carry ex titan back then when i was in ultros before my transfer to tonberry

and i now have cleared t9 since may
if your pride or whatever is making you stuck then that's your choice

edit: just wanna point out that's the only run i ever bought

iammeiam

They have to have greased the swimsuit drop rates. I've gotten five sea breeze halters and three south seas talismans today. Blew up one gigantshark and one turned to sand, but everything else dropped a top.

Ken

They have to have greased the swimsuit drop rates. I've gotten five sea breeze halters and three south seas talismans today. Blew up one gigantshark and one turned to sand, but everything else dropped a top.

the true test of ability is making those femqote drop their tops

wink

scy

Soon as I can play again, I'll help ya clear T5/Titan EX. Forget the GIL, I just need the light.

I eagerly join the "oh god need more light" group tomorrow.

guess it gives me a reason to finally unlock Trial Roulette
oops, forgot to do this

Ken

i'm not ashamed

if your pride or whatever is making you stuck then that's your choice

edit: just wanna point out that's the only run i ever bought

"i'm not ashamed for buying runs but i just want to clarify that i only bought a single run oh dear i hope no one thinks i bought a lot of runs"

dcye

Who cares. Titan is fucking bullshit if your internet isn't amazing or you live anywhere but EU or US. No one good does it outside of premade 8-mans so why do you all care so much if he paid for it.

If I wasn't so goddamn poor for so long I might have been tempted to buy it too haha.

Qvoth

"i'm not ashamed for buying runs but i just want to clarify that i only bought a single run oh dear i hope no one thinks i bought a lot of runs"

the other dude said that buying runs are pointless because if you're stuck on the next hard whatever, you'll just buy carries again

IvorB

my advice is, go buy a carry run, t5 and old ex primals should be super cheap nowadays, should just be 200-300k total

That's terrible advice. Buy a clear? Really? What is the point of that?

So this weekend I started on my Animus books. They are so much better than ATMA farming I really don't know what people were saying. And myth is not hard to come by these days so I don't think this will take long at all.

So the next step is Novus. The real question is how much money will I need and where am I going to get it?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Who cares. Titan is fucking bullshit if your internet isn't amazing or you live anywhere but EU or US. No one good does it outside of premade 8-mans so why do you all care so much if he paid for it.

If I wasn't so goddamn poor for so long I might have been tempted to buy it too haha.

Actually that's not true! I live half across the world and I don't have latency issues. Some US ISPs are so bad people visibly disconnect mid-fight more often than I do. How does that even work!
Extending the ability cast by 0.5-0.75 seconds would do massive wonders. Take responsibility, Yoshida.

Qvoth

That's terrible advice. Buy a clear? Really? What is the point of that?

...I wanted T5 done at least before 2.4 but I think I'm going to give up. It's not even hard, it's just so frustrating on the DF. Only it, Titan, Ifrit and Ramuh Extreme left for me (before attempting second coil).

this here is an example of the point i'm trying to make
just buy a carry and get it over with, then try to catch up with everyone else as soon as possible afterwards (by getting your soldiery gears and farming sands and oils from ct2)
if you're i110, you already have more than enough gear to clear t9

then you swap the 110 soldier gears for HA drops from 2nd coil

the main problem with t5 and old ex primals is that there's no practice runs for those anymore, so new guys can only use DF, or if they're lucky and have friends, get carried for free instead of a fee
once you're clearing 2nd coil, when the next patch hits, you're basically at the same starting spot with the rest of the guys, and then it'll be easier to join statics

IvorB

this here is an example of the point i'm trying to make
just buy a carry and get it over with, then try to catch up with everyone else as soon as possible afterwards (by getting your soldiery gears and farming sands and oils from ct2)
if you're i110, you already have more than enough gear to clear t9

then you swap the 110 soldier gears for HA drops from 2nd coil

the main problem with t5 and old ex primals is that there's no practice runs for those anymore, so new guys can only use DF, or if they're lucky and have friends, get carried for free instead of a fee
once you're clearing 2nd coil, when the next patch hits, you're basically at the same starting spot with the rest of the guys, and then it'll be easier to join statics

I've never played an MMO before but I don't really understand this mentality. If you can't manage to clear T5 then why would you think you're in a position to clear T6, T7 or anything after that? It makes no sense to me to try and cheat content so that you can go on to face even harder content than what you couldn't do before.

dcye

Actually that's not true! I live half across the world and I don't have latency issues. Some US ISPs are so bad people visibly disconnect mid-fight more often than I do. How does that even work!
Extending the ability cast by 0.5-0.75 seconds would do massive wonders. Take responsibility, Yoshida.

So do I, and if I didn't pay extra for Battleping every month I wouldn't be able to play this game at all. A lot of people don't have this luxury due to playing on console. Just because its fine for you doesn't mean it is for everyone.

I've never played an MMO before but I don't really understand this mentality. If you can't manage to clear T5 then why would you think you're in a position to clear T6, T7 or anything after that? It makes no sense to me to try and cheat content so that you can go on to face even harder content than what you couldn't do before.

Because you can't clear T5 on your own, you need 7 other people. He's not saying go and buy a T9 clear, he's saying that T5 is 1-year old content that not a lot of skilled players are doing right now, so instead of being atuck, getting frustrated and quitting the game, maybe get a clear and move on.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So do I, and if I didn't pay extra for Battleping every month I wouldn't be able to play this game at all. A lot of people don't have this luxury due to playing on console. Just because its fine for you doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Not what I said.

As casual as I think Titan EX is now, if I have more than minuscule latency, it's impossible. Titan HM, too. Even knowing what's coming up, if you can't see where to dodge to/safe spot until it's too late, you're done. Example is you know Land Slides are coming up, and you're moving around anticipating them, but where you were was in the LS aoe lane when it goes off...even if you move out of the aoe on your screen you're done. Same with weights. I would cheat the stack by moving at least a second or more ahead of the group the one time I had latency, and I was never in the aoe on my screen ever, and I would eat the damage seconds after the weight was done. Just impossible. I thought it was an excuse until I witnessed the horror myself.

Oh yea, since it's now like 3 weeks away, let's get serious about Las Vegas Fan Fest meetup/plans. If I'm going I want to actually hang out with GAF FC!

Qvoth

you need to realize sometimes it's other people dragging you down, if you've never end up with such a party then good for you
i'm the proof that buying carry doesn't mean you can't progress the rest of the game by your own merit, like i said i've cleared t9 since may, i'm like server 1st on t6 clear, and i think maybe server 4th or 5th on t7-9

once again i'm referring to this guy
...I wanted T5 done at least before 2.4 but I think I'm going to give up. It's not even hard, it's just so frustrating on the DF. Only it, Titan, Ifrit and Ramuh Extreme left for me (before attempting second coil).

the number of people attempting these will only go lower as time goes by, it's better to clear them and catch up with the rest asap like i mentioned on my previous post

IvorB

Because you can't clear T5 on your own, you need 7 other people. He's not saying go and buy a T9 clear, he's saying that T5 is 1-year old content that not a lot of skilled players are doing right now, so instead of being atuck, getting frustrated and quitting the game, maybe get a clear and move on.

you need to realize sometimes it's other people dragging you down, if you've never end up with such a party then good for you
i'm the proof that buying carry doesn't mean you can't progress the rest of the game by your own merit, like i said i've cleared t9 since may, i'm like server 1st on t6 clear, and i think maybe server 4th or 5th on t7-9

once again i'm referring to this guy

the number of people attempting these will only go lower as time goes by, it's better to clear them and catch up with the rest asap like i mentioned on my previous post

Hmmm... I guess. Each to their own.

Though the last few times I've tried Titan Ex and I've been knocked off the platform I'm secretly hoping that somehow those still on the platform would carry me through just so it will get done. The sad reality is that you lie there impotent while you watch everyone else's life bars wink out one-by-one. Ah... Titan EX.

dwix

Nah, there are still a good chunk of us that havent done certain trials yet. Just make sure you jump in on help nights (friday, saturday) or whenever someone asks for a first time clear party.

Indeed. I still have a ton of stuff I need help clearing, and it is fun to help first-timers through the end-game content. Won't be around this weekend, but next weekend for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom