• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's terrible advice. Buy a clear? Really? What is the point of that?

So this weekend I started on my Animus books. They are so much better than ATMA farming I really don't know what people were saying. And myth is not hard to come by these days so I don't think this will take long at all.

So the next step is Novus. The real question is how much money will I need and where am I going to get it?

Exactly. Back in the day, when people were bitching about it, getting 1500 myth meant doing 30 Brayflox speed runs. Now you get 80 for an A rank hunt, it's not comparable at all. Waiting for FATEs to pop is still bullshit though.

iammeiam

Renaud questions:

- if a Renaud spawns right on top of you, can you Repelling Shot to simultaneously claim it and get out of range of attacks? Or does it have time to club you before you're bounced out of range? I feel like repelling shot is more stylish than jogging away before tagging it.

- How the hell do people reliably stack 4 renauds facing Mel? Do they intentionally not freeze the ones they won't have time to turn? Or just keep murdering them until they get 4 nicely faced? 4stack itself isn't too difficult
as long as the SCH has to do the timing and rooting stuff and I just have to run around like a moron which I usually do anyway
but about half the time there's not enough time to turn them.

- Why does Shadowbind suck so much?

Renaud questions:

- if a Renaud spawns right on top of you, can you Repelling Shot to simultaneously claim it and get out of range of attacks? Or does it have time to club you before you're bounced out of range? I feel like repelling shot is more stylish than jogging away before tagging it.

- How the hell do people reliably stack 4 renauds facing Mel? Do they intentionally not freeze the ones they won't have time to turn? Or just keep murdering them until they get 4 nicely faced? 4stack itself isn't too difficult
as long as the SCH has to do the timing and rooting stuff and I just have to run around like a moron which I usually do anyway

yea you kinda have to pick when you want to bind it, might mean waiting. tbh you don't need them facing mel all the time, if you can get shriek/voice transitions right. 4 stacks just makes the last phase easier/lets you dps but if you don't want to do it, you don't have to.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

PVP is decently fun, but I wish they gave the tanks a meaningful way to protect healers (like putting cover and holmgang on 30s cooldown) so they could actually do their job, and while 3-way standoff is a fantastic idea, splitting queues by your actual GC is not.
The things I do for pretty costumes...

I remember going on BRD and challenging a passerby BRD 1 on 1.
Got blown the hell out. :< The dude had the nerve to launch some fireworks. I do not like getting proverbially teabagged!

studyguy

PVP is decently fun, but I wish they gave the tanks a meaningful way to protect healers (like putting cover and holmgang on 30s cooldown) so they could actually do their job, and while 3-way standoff is a fantastic idea, splitting queues by your actual GC is not.
The things I do for pretty costumes...

I remember going on BRD and challenging a passerby BRD 1 on 1.
Got blown the hell out. :< The dude had the nerve to launch some fireworks. I do not like getting proverbially teabagged!

Sorry, I can't have fun in PVP though.
Ever. It's illegal for me. Literally impossible.
I'm Flames
So lol pvp

On the real though, I get my rocks off holmganging people off the edge of the platform along with me when I bother.

scy

Exactly. Back in the day, when people were bitching about it, getting 1500 myth meant doing 30 Brayflox speed runs. Now you get 80 for an A rank hunt, it's not comparable at all. Waiting for FATEs to pop is still bullshit though.

Yeah, Atma grinding sucked due to being boring and unrewarding when I wasn't getting drops but it still only took a few days. Going all-in on Animus and Novus steps, however, took at least a week each. And that's with hunts. I can't imagine getting the like 50,000+ Myth needed for both steps without Hunts giving me like 3000 a day.

Renaud questions:

4 Renaud strategy is so easy with SCH because you can turn Renaud around after bound. If the kiter is a BRD and the other hand lol.

Valor

Renaud questions:

I wouldn't bother using Repelling Shot, just to be safe. Get distance and use Blunt Arrow as per the norm. You have a ton of time before the Renaud starts to move to get yourself in a good position. That being said, I would totally try a Repelling Shot, because STYLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

You can four stack them as a BRD too, but it's definitely more difficult. You'll need to use Shadowbind after Voice is cast, since Voice ticks down from 9/8 seconds at the most, and Shadowbind is 12 seconds. So, in theory, you'll have it in position as voice is cast, throw up Shadowbind, and run towards Mel to spin the Renaud before voice goes off on the healers. It's trickier, but it's definitely doable. If you Shadowbind too early and it wears off before Voice goes off, I think the Renauds lose their Heavy status, which is basically insta-wipe.

If you're having trouble four-stacking Renauds as a BRD, don't four stack them. Sometimes four stacking the Renauds means kiting one and skipping a voice, however. It takes practice.

IvorB

Between all the roulettes, hunts, ST etc you can easily get the myth together for a book. I cleared one book on Saturday and made enough for my second. The waiting hasn't been that bad for me. There's something quite soothing about just patiently waiting for something to happen. I just leave it on and do something else for a while.

studyguy

Hunts are so boring on Excal now that less people are doing them and the FC has the sheet on lockdown. Everything is micromanaged as hell. I can't wait till they become irrelevant at this point.

aceface

Renaud questions:

If we get the timings right on phase transitions (so when the Stop dps!! Macro comes up people stop) you don't need to have them all facing Mel.

iammeiam

That being said, I would totally try a Repelling Shot, because STYLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

exactly. If I'm not going to ping pong around fashionably, I might as well just finish leveling SMN.

If you Shadowbind too early and it wears off before Voice goes off, I think the Renauds lose their Heavy status, which is basically insta-wipe.

This definitely happens. I have done this and watched the Renaud zip around smashing folks. In general, I've run into massive timing issues trying to BRD kite without SCH miasma assist; I know it technically can be done, but I have yet to see any indicator that I can pull it off to the extent that having me do it makes more sense than a SMN. I usually freeze up right around the time I need to run back through mid while having voice and the renaud ends up at four or five o'clock instead of six. SCH handling miasma winds up making it pretty easy and allows for more uptime on adds as once the Renaud's on the spot I can get back in range even if we missed a voice.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hunts are so boring on Excal now that less people are doing them and the FC has the sheet on lockdown. Everything is micromanaged as hell. I can't wait till they become irrelevant at this point.

They pretty much already are since Yoshi decided to put sands in CT and add additional sands/oil in coil. You can't even do hunts for nexus so smart thinking on his part.

studyguy

They pretty much already are since Yoshi decided to put sands in CT and add additional sands/oil in coil. You can't even do hunts for nexus so smart thinking on his part.

You can still cap sol easy as hell with hunts and if you need a Novus as well.
zzzz tier though. If the new tome is acquired through hunts I'm going to kill myself.
I think it's just annoyance at how what was a fun system is handled now on Excal, so heavy handed.

While convenient, you're either hunting with the group, following the TS' demands or you're not hunting at all at this point.

aceface

They will become completely irrelevant once the new tomes come out. I pretty much only do them to cap soldiery at this point. Unless they have hunts drop the new tomes, then lol.

IvorB

I'm kinda over hunts. It's just not fun rushing from one zerg fest to another. I really wish they had toned down the zerg not embraced it. The fights are really fun with only a few people.

They will become completely irrelevant once the new tomes come out. I pretty much only do them to cap soldiery at this point. Unless they have hunts drop the new tomes, then lol.

I actually wonder if Yoshi will try to keep hunts relevant or not, since they did work hard to create this stuff and to let it fall into previous tier content hell seems a waste of effort.

studyguy

Well it's efficient and they're not exactly booting anyone...

Get tired of the heavy handed leads shitting on people when certain ones get on. Not all of them are terrible, but others are just overbearing. Again I'm not saying it's not efficient, but it's certainly not a choice anymore on Excal.

I actually wonder if Yoshi will try to keep hunts relevant or not, since they did work hard to create this stuff and to let it fall into previous tier content hell seems a waste of effort.

I would assume they'll drop the new tomes and 80 soldiery and myth > soldiery conversion like with philo. They might tweak the amounts for that patch though, but at the same time most people only do a few hunts whenever they're in the zone and it's shouted or whatever so the fact you can mass farm them might not be relevant for balance purposes in their eyes. I'd probably expect something like 10new tomes and 50soldiery instead of 20/80 though, for A ranks and whatever for S(could leave it like that since S are pretty rare anyway).

Yesterday I melded my miner gear to start farming that stuff cause I figured I might as well and found out melding the Fishing gear would be rather inexpensive and did that too then spent a bunch of hours watching anime and fishing with breaks every hour for soil+umbral rocks. Damn is fishing slow in comparison. I'm almost done with the mining part already(was a bit lucky on RNG though) and I'm only at 6 fishes for the rod. I'll probably have time to get 3 forager hats(1 for me and 2 for retainers) by the time I'm done with fishing, if that.

Still need to finish Desynth on GSM, start leveling it on ALC(just because I have a ton of titan garbage weapons on my retainers) and start re-melding/mastering some crafts. So much stuff to do before 2.4 hits for someone who left so long ago.

WolvenOne

Hunts venders will probably get a few new vanity items, and maybe one or two new consumables. I'm pretty sure they won't be a big focus of the next patch.

Teknoman

Those getting frustrated with late game content, find a good FC home. That's the point of an FC, a community within a community in that helps one another take down challenges.

Set up help times within your FC, people will learn the fights and come out on top.

WolvenOne

BTW.

Currently, what classes are best in Single Target DPS right now? I mean, roughly in order from best to worst.

I've tried googling this, but the answers there have either been unclear or out of date.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
BTW.

Currently, what classes are best in Single Target DPS right now? I mean, roughly in order from best to worst.

I've tried googling this, but the answers there have either been unclear or out of date.

I would take a guess and say Monk.

Usually MNK but we suffer if the boss vanishes/moves around a ton or the mechanics of the fight have us sitting around doing nothing (Hello Turn 7)

MNK
DRG
SMN/BLM (We do a lot more damage now)

lolBRD's

I think BLM has highest theorical DPS, IF they can stand still, which is basically never in reality. From what I've read/seen though every class seems fairly close to each other and stuff like having a combat rez(SMN) or being a good player matter more than the class. This game definitely feels a lot more balanced than many other mmos.

studyguy

I think BLM has highest theorical DPS, IF they can stand still, which is basically never in reality. From what I've read/seen though every class seems fairly close to each other and stuff like having a combat rez(SMN) or being a good player matter more than the class. This game definitely feels a lot more balanced than many other mmos.

I do like that despite that it's a little boring. Class stacking was always terrible.

While I do like having a diversified group, I will never turn down the chance to have another MNK to keep Dragon Kick up at all times. Otherwise, I despise job stacking as well.

Tabris

MNK don't seem great for T9 due to all the greased lightning loss sections.

I would assume DRG is best for T9

EDIT - I don't understand why T7 would be bad for MNK. When aren't you doing anything then? The once or twice during a fight you may get shriek? You should have perfect balance up by then. Usually what limits our DPS in T7 is all the phase transitions when I tell DPS not to do anything until I got the right transition time, but that applies to everyone not just MNK.

MNK don't seem great for T9 due to all the greased lightning loss sections.

wrong. Only a few parts where you lose GL always. phase transitions (don't really need gl3 for golems anyways) and double meteor swarms. If you're losing gl3 anywhere else then that's on the monk. Also drg rely on positionals more than monk so in the last phase they have to be more careful than monks.

Tabris

wrong. Only a few parts where you lose GL always. phase transitions (don't really need gl3 for golems anyways) and double meteor swarms. If you're losing gl3 anywhere else then that's on the monk. Also drg rely on positionals more than monk so in the last phase they have to be more careful than monks.

Double Jumps and Iron Chariot invalidate GL3, don't they? That happens 3 times in Phase 1 total.

Wilsongt

I should do more frontlines... But, I've only done something like three matches. At this late in the game, I am sure I would be kicked for just being bad.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I should do more frontlines... But, I've only done something like three matches. At this late in the game, I am sure I would be kicked for just being bad.

Nobody cares if you're bad in badlines.
The only reason people get kicked out for is AFKing because nobody likes to give out free seals.
And actually admitting you're trying to kick someone for not playing right is grounds for reporting to GM anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom