• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

Hopefully a week after the Live Letter at Fan Fest.

That's what I'm hoping for, but an early November release wouldn't surprise me. :(

No later than November 10th(if it's on a Monday like they have been) and no earlier than November 3rd.

Oh, ok. Thanks!

when you marry me

i33S1yTvNwlRz.gif

Ken

Arythnisia Mizuno rolls Need on the pair of high Allagan thighboots of healing. 2!
You roll Need on the pair of high Allagan thighboots of healing. 9!
You obtain a pair of high Allagan thighboots of healing.

FLAWLESS VICTORY

No later than November 10th(if it's on a Monday like they have been) and no earlier than November 3rd.

Weren't people saying 1week after live letter is usual release? That'd be the 28th. Though Nov 3rd sounds also like a plausible date if they have to delay it further.

Need to finish the primals before the patch though, but never seem to see any Titan EX groups on PF and in FC it generally takes a while to get people to come then we wipe a few times cause people haven't been there for a while or new people don't know the fight and people leave. Ramuh EX I see parties every now and then in PF but not sure how successful they are, the fight looks fairly simple when I tried it yesterday.

WolvenOne

Funny how semi-random GAF groups can farm Ramuh now. That fight was a pain, even for full parties of individually great players, not even a full month ago.

Net effect, aiming rings for everyone!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Those boots have been in my retainers storage for 2 months. I think every person in our static has one of them.

Right. It's like with Healing coat, Kagari's static got one for everybody but I've only ever seen ONE - the one I have.
Or the group I farmed Ramuh with who had Healing rings drop like candy until I came in at which point it took 25 tries to get one down.
I'm a magnet for bad RNG (well except for this week which has been surprisingly merciful in many ways)

IvorB

How do my fellow PS4 players manage chat? Typing with a controller is so slow and clumsy. In raids I feel like a caveman because one word answers are all I can squeeze out, if that.

Yeah it's tough. I feel like a real half wit because I can only type really slowly and the answer has to be short. Also when you type the keyboard obscures the chat box so you can't really see the rest of the conversation once you start typing. So you end up delivering a simply worded, slow response to something people said five lines ago in the conversation.

The predictive wording on the PS4 is utter sh*t also so even though I am typing the same things over-and-over it still doesn't pick it up. But I'm not sure all this bugs me enough to get a keyboard though. I can communicate and that's enough for me.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Yeah it's tough. I feel like a real half wit because I can only type really slowly and the answer has to be short. Also when you type the keyboard obscures the chat box so you can't really see the rest of the conversation once you start typing. So you end up delivering a simply worded, slow response to something people said five lines ago in the conversation.

The predictive wording on the PS4 is utter sh*t also so even though I am typing the same things over-and-over it still doesn't pick it up. But I'm not sure all this bugs me enough to get a keyboard though. I can communicate and that's enough for me.
There are some really dinky bluetooth keyboards out there that'll hugely improve your quality of life. The PS4's great at automatically detecting them as well.

I use a Logitech K810 which is quite pricey but worth it for my because it can sync with three devices and it's a joy to type on. There are numerous cheaper alternatives.

IvorB

There are some really dinky bluetooth keyboards out there that'll hugely improve your quality of life. The PS4's great at automatically detecting them as well.

I use a Logitech K810 which is quite pricey but worth it for my because it can sync with three devices and it's a joy to type on. There are numerous cheaper alternatives.

Yeah not really so keen on buying peripherals for one game. I don't really like stuff like that piling up in my lounge.

dramatis

I plugged an old Dell keyboard into my PS3. I guess for the comfy couchers this isn't really an option, but it's an option.

Having a hard time finding gaffers on ultros? I'm sad panda in game if someone could send me a message that would be great

I'll look you up when I'm on today. Other than physically looking for us, you can also do a /sea and then view the company profile of any GAF members it finds in the zone. There is usually at least one of us around somewhere during prime time.

Really enjoying my time with the game. Currently lv. 21 Dragoon ( i refuse to say lancer ).

I haven't wanted to ask for any help on anything but am really starting to get anxious with being able to use the Market.

When does the market unlock? I have a full inventory as I'm hording things from crafting and gathering stuff in dungeons lol. I am currently at the 3rd dungeon of the set for the main storyline missions. Think the dungeon is outside of Ul'Dah? Forget the name of it though.

Love the dungeons so far. Very fast and I've gotten 2 actual rare items ( and a purple colored Spear for my Dragoon! Its purple! I have no idea what they means, but it feels very rare )

I'm on Marlboro server also.

Rawk Hawk

Really enjoying my time with the game. Currently lv. 21 Dragoon ( i refuse to say lancer ).

I haven't wanted to ask for any help on anything but am really starting to get anxious with being able to use the Market.

When does the market unlock? I have a full inventory as I'm hording things from crafting and gathering stuff in dungeons lol. I am currently at the 3rd dungeon of the set for the main storyline missions. Think the dungeon is outside of Ul'Dah? Forget the name of it though.

Love the dungeons so far. Very fast and I've gotten 2 actual rare items ( and a purple colored Spear for my Dragoon! Its purple! I have no idea what they means, but it feels very rare )

I'm on Marlboro server also.

I am only a little bit in front of you, and I just unlocked my retainer. You need to complete the first 3 dungeons and following the last one I believe there is a small quest that will unlock it.

Actually working towards the GC selection now, basically hoping to get my chocobo before exploring other jobs and crafting. Think I'm only one instance and a couple quests away from that now.

iammeiam

Selling stuff on the MB requires a retainer. You unlock the ability to hire them during a lvl 17 story mission, but have to take the initiative to go to a retainer vocate and hire one (hire two--first two are free and give a massive storage boost) on your own.

I am only a little bit in front of you, and I just unlocked my retainer. You need to complete the first 3 dungeons and following the last one I believe there is a small quest that will unlock it.

Actually working towards the GC selection now, basically hoping to get my chocobo before exploring other jobs and crafting. Think I'm only one instance and a couple quests away from that now.

Oh wow so I am really close. AWESOME!

Looking forward to the storage and the ability to work the market a bit. Seeing the price of stuff, will be instant money and lots of it. I'm seeing stuff I can easily make with my leatherworker up on the market for like 1200 gil. For maybe ... i dunno, 10 gil worth of supplies? Pretty crazy. Haven't bought anything from the market since lv. 18 because of it. Anything that is green is instantely 5-15k for my lv. 21 dragoon, even if the item is just lv. 15.

Seeing how fast the dungeon runs are. Makes me even more curious about the pricing. Takes forever to actually make 15k gil doing missions or anything. Which is why I am needing the market so bad lol.

Also it is a little unfortunate you don't get random items from enemies out in the wilderness or during missions.

Love the system in place for dungeon running. Just enter into the queue and run off somewhere and do other stuff for 10 minutes and your in! awesome

iammeiam

Looking forward to the storage and the ability to work the market a bit. Seeing the price of stuff, will be instant money and lots of it. I'm seeing stuff I can easily make with my leatherworker up on the market for like 1200 gil. For maybe ... i dunno, 10 gil worth of supplies? Pretty crazy. Haven't bought anything from the market since lv. 18 because of it. Anything that is green is instantely 5-15k for my lv. 21 dragoon, even if the item is just lv. 15.

When selling crafted stuff, always make sure to include the shard cost. Not sure on the Marlboro economy, but on Ultros shards will range from 50 to occasionally 100 gil a piece. They also tend to sell fast, so before going all in on crafting stuff it's worth quickly verifying that your profit is greater than selling the shards and mats individually. HQ leather is usually a pretty solid way to make a little money, though.

Money while leveling is kind of weird--you absolutely can and should gear up solely through quest and dungeon drops, because you'll outlevel bought gear so fast (you could spiritbond and convert to materia, I guess.) The only real expenditure I remember the game forcing on you is the cost of your relic precursor + materia, so as long as you have that much saved by 50 you should be fine. Once you unlock the challenge log and all the roulettes, steady money is pretty easy but the scale of the economy changes (hundreds of thousands spent on vanity clothing, etc.)

When selling crafted stuff, always make sure to include the shard cost. Not sure on the Marlboro economy, but on Ultros shards will range from 50 to occasionally 100 gil a piece. They also tend to sell fast, so before going all in on crafting stuff it's worth quickly verifying that your profit is greater than selling the shards and mats individually. HQ leather is usually a pretty solid way to make a little money, though.

Money while leveling is kind of weird--you absolutely can and should gear up solely through quest and dungeon drops, because you'll outlevel bought gear so fast (you could spiritbond and convert to materia, I guess.) The only real expenditure I remember the game forcing on you is the cost of your relic precursor + materia, so as long as you have that much saved by 50 you should be fine. Once you unlock the challenge log and all the roulettes, steady money is pretty easy but the scale of the economy changes (hundreds of thousands spent on vanity clothing, etc.)

lol yeah I laughed as I was just browsing around. 250K for a little skirt thing. 150K or so for rimless glasses.

good info though thanks.

IvorB

I really don't know how I am going to fund my Novus weapon. I don't have much money at all :-(. My plan was to spirit bond gear for materia but now I have found out that most gear you pick up isn't even convertible so that plan is out of the window.

iammeiam

I really don't know how I am going to fund my Novus weapon. I don't have much money at all :-(. My plan was to spirit bond gear for materia but now I have found out that most gear you pick up isn't even convertible so that plan is out of the window.

While I'm not bothering with relic at all, I think the most economical thing to do is just go for a split-stat/non-optimal Novus to push through to Nexus ASAP. It's only rank IV where prices go nuts, so if you just go up to III on stats and pad out with accuracy or skill/spell speed or parry, or something, you should be able to complete it without a huge money crunch (since you'll have to grind out the alexandrite anyhow, and absolute worst-case if you're grinding hunts you can use allied seals to purchase myth accessories, trade those in for GC seals, and use the seals to buy crafting mats for resale. Not necessarily huge money, but should help fund cheap Materia if you can't come up with another method.)

You can then get into the Nexus grind while slowly saving up for rank IVs to max out your Novus. I don't think anyone was expecting respec to be as player-friendly as it is; there's really no reason to halt your Novus progression waiting to make millions when swapping stats later is so easy.

scy

Funny how semi-random GAF groups can farm Ramuh now. That fight was a pain, even for full parties of individually great players, not even a full month ago.

Net effect, aiming rings for everyone!

I went to sleep around the second or third pull of random PLD letting everyone down. So more BRD rings for everyone?!

While I'm not bothering with relic at all, I think the most economical thing to do is just go for a split-stat/non-optimal Novus to push through to Nexus ASAP. It's only rank IV where prices go nuts, so if you just go up to III on stats and pad out with accuracy or skill/spell speed or parry, or something, you should be able to complete it without a huge money crunch

Ignoring the one DET IV I used, I capped mine on Accuracy and have like ~7 filler points on it for around 1M Gil in cost (and entirely due to Heaven's Eye IV). If I wanted to be extra frugal, I could have gone 22+ Parry / 22+ Accuracy with as much DET as I could afford and completely avoided any Tier IV materias. This way at least two stats get a bonus +1 to them when it makes it to Nexus as well.

If you don't have any crafting classes or gathering classes to make your own gear or get all the mats you need, you could buy a couple of sets of crafter/gatherer gear from vendors, spiritbond those and then sell the resulting materia. If that's too expensive, you don't need to do high level stuff at Urth's Gift - grade 1 and 2 stuff sells too, check prices and see what makes sense.

Taking this further, you can check out the mats needed for the gear you want to spiritbond, and spiritbond while killing enemies that drop them. Make friends with a crafter, give them as many mats as you can/gil for costs and get the gear made. Sites like XIVDB and Crafting as a Service are great for working out what you need.

For example, you can spiritbond level 30-40 stuff while slaughtering Karakuls and Golden Fleece for most of the mats you need to make felt and woollen yarn for caster gear, or hippogryphs in Mor Dhona for hippogryph skins, used to make hippogryph leather. You'll save money by not buying most of the mats off the MB, and you'll get materia while making preparations to get materia.

IvorB

While I'm not bothering with relic at all, I think the most economical thing to do is just go for a split-stat/non-optimal Novus to push through to Nexus ASAP. It's only rank IV where prices go nuts, so if you just go up to III on stats and pad out with accuracy or skill/spell speed or parry, or something, you should be able to complete it without a huge money crunch (since you'll have to grind out the alexandrite anyhow, and absolute worst-case if you're grinding hunts you can use allied seals to purchase myth accessories, trade those in for GC seals, and use the seals to buy crafting mats for resale. Not necessarily huge money, but should help fund cheap Materia if you can't come up with another method.)

You can then get into the Nexus grind while slowly saving up for rank IVs to max out your Novus. I don't think anyone was expecting respec to be as player-friendly as it is; there's really no reason to halt your Novus progression waiting to make millions when swapping stats later is so easy.

Yeah I was thinking about going down the re-spec route as well; glad to hear it's so easy. So at least it won't roadblock me. I'm actually maxed out on seals so I will definitely buy some mats to sell but that's only going to take me so far. I really need some big ticket items to sell.

Jayhawk

I am happy we had little trouble last night clearing 6-9 with my current medical situation. I was screwing up my TP management when pain killers started to wear off and only hit like 422 dps in T8. We also ran with our new OT and a couple subs, so it went pretty well. Congratulations to Ketsen on sword and gloves!

rubius01

I am happy we had little trouble last night clearing 6-9 with my current medical situation. I was screwing up my TP management when pain killers started to wear off and only hit like 422 dps in T8. We also ran with our new OT and a couple subs, so it went pretty well. Congratulations to Ketsen on sword and gloves!

you're a monk aren't you natasha? (please say you arent brd)

What do you need to respec? Do you have to get the alexandrites again or just the materia?

Jayhawk

you're a monk aren't you natasha? (please say you arent brd)

MNK

And regarding fleece farming, it is rarely busy and I usually spirit bind at the same time. I rotate between the four pops SW of Coerthas aetheryte and the other group east past the road.

iammeiam

What do you need to respec? Do you have to get the alexandrites again or just the materia?

My understanding is that you have to buy/prep a new scroll (so 1500 myth or whatever for ink), then have relic guy copy your existing stats to the new scroll. You then go to the guy who removes melds from the scroll, have him take off the Materia you no longer want one at a time, and then just need alex and the new Materia to do your new meld the same way you did the initial batch. When done, have scroll copied back over to weapon, at which point weapon stats change.

So yes you need to get new alex, but respec'ing doesn't reset Nexus progress, so it gives you something to do with the myth you get from your 500 Garuda kills.

My understanding is that you have to buy/prep a new scroll (so 1500 myth or whatever for ink), then have relic guy copy your existing stats to the new scroll. You then go to the guy who removes melds from the scroll, have him take off the Materia you no longer want one at a time, and then just need alex and the new Materia to do your new meld the same way you did the initial batch. When done, have scroll copied back over to weapon, at which point weapon stats change.

So yes you need to get new alex, but respec'ing doesn't reset Nexus progress, so it gives you something to do with the myth you get from your 500 Garuda kills.

Interesting. I've been so lazy with my alex maps though, I only have like 25 :(

Well you can always accelerate alexandrite farm by grinding hunts. 10 A ranks is 2 alexandrite(200allied seals buy you one and 800myth buy you a map to get another and that's what you get for 10 As). So doing the A train once a day+the daily is 3alex a day, and you can grind more than one train a day on the weekends or whenever you have time to. Still not particularily fast though.

WolvenOne

I believe you can also do this after a Novus has been fully upgraded to a Nexus, and it doesn't change the process or amounts of Alex/Materia needed.

Sorian

Banned
I'm still dumbfounded that they didn't just say "here's a blank scroll, do it again" also slightly surprised that it doesn't reset nexus gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom