• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

I realize most of you aren't going to the Fan Fest. That said, of those of you who are, what souvenirs are you planning to pick up?

I suspect Kagari will snatch that delivery Moogle if she sees it, but otherwise.... XD

As a tank with a similar complex, not necessarily sure being a tank helps that :x

I can't imagine tanking being any less stressful if you are worried about what people will think on new content.

You guys make a good point, tank has a lot of responsibility. And tbh, while I haven't gotten very far into GLA yet, marauder seems like the more fun class - but the consensus seems to be that pals are better main tanks.

I think MNK might actually be my happy medium. PUG seems pretty fun so far, tbh.

Dragoons are kinda an odd class, and they probably could use a subtle Buff. Thier magic defense is indeed pretty low, not so low that the class is unplayable, but Dragoons need to be a lot more careful to avoid damage than monks. This is somewhat glaring, as thier toolset suggests that they are supposed to be a sort of Tank-lite.

Second, thier base non burst damage is dramatically inferior to monks. Thier burst is amazing, but takes a fair degree of skill to fully utilize, and doesn't fully compensate for the lower base-line, especially in longer fights.

Basically, DRG needs slightly higher defense, and the potency of its basic rotation could use a subtle Buff.

Nothing major though, Dragoon isn't a fundamentally broken class, it just needs balancing.

I'm kind of hoping the update contains some kind of balance to the class.

WolvenOne

All they need to do is give DRG the same base magic DEF as MNK

That's certainly the top priority, though I would still argue that DRG sustained DPS needs to be just a little closer to Monk.

The advantage in Monk DPS, is simply so great, that I can see no reason why any player that is equally geared and equally skilled in both classes, would ever pick DRG over Monk.

As such, DRG needs to either be able to roughly match Monk dps, or, have some other sort of distinct advantage that makes them worth playing. (Higher defense than Monks maybe?)

Until they do, your just going to see more and more people switching from DRG to Monk.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Playing monk.
Cat_rolling_on_keyboard.jpg

Playing dragoon.
denk_web.jpg

BadRNG

You guys make a good point, tank has a lot of responsibility. And tbh, while I haven't gotten very far into GLA yet, marauder seems like the more fun class - but the consensus seems to be that pals are better main tanks.
This hasn't really been the case since 2.1's WAR buffs. In fact on a lot of fights WAR are the better MT if they are good/know the fight. You often see PLD mting because they have crazy good (and long) cooldowns, so if something goes wrong - like when learning the encounter - it is easier to compensate. And then when you got the fight on farm not many groups want to fix what isn't broken.

That's certainly the top priority, though I would still argue that DRG sustained DPS needs to be just a little closer to Monk.

The advantage in Monk DPS, is simply so great, that I can see no reason why any player that is equally geared and equally skilled in both classes, would ever pick DRG over Monk.

As such, DRG needs to either be able to roughly match Monk dps, or, have some other sort of distinct advantage that makes them worth playing. (Higher defense than Monks maybe?) Until they do, your just going to see more and more people switching from DRG to Monk.
A straight potency buff could work to give them more relevance, but I'd rather they just give some more group utility. Right now DRG is second lowest dps, and the only reason BRD is lower is due to the crazy invaluable utility they get as a trade off. In comparison all a DRG can really bring to the table is the piercing debuff, yet even with a BRD present the extra dps doesn't outweigh taking a MNK over the DRG. Having a melee utility like BRD would be nice, though it's possible NIN will fill that niche.

Ken

i have the bravely default artbook and it's pretty high quality, so the FFXIV is most defnitely a worthwhile pick up if anyone is on the fence

This hasn't really been the case since 2.1's WAR buffs. In fact on a lot of fights WAR are the better MT if they are good/know the fight. You often see PLD mting because they have crazy good (and long) cooldowns, so if something goes wrong - like when learning the encounter - it is easier to compensate. And then when you got the fight on farm not many groups want to fix what isn't broken.

Well WAR MT gives PLD OT more DPS, but the reason why PLD still MTs most fights is simply because they get Hallowed Ground and WAR gets jack shit. I wish I had a magic button that made me invincible for 10 seconds, sure would come in handy when shit goes pear shaped.

If Holmgang actually wasn't garbage I think we would see a lot more WAR MT when learning fights, PLD defensive CDs are better but it's the lack of a true 'oh shit' button that makes a lot of WAR not want to MT while learning fights.

Ken

holmgang is decent when you don't compare it to hallowed ground

i mean, everything pales in comparison to hallowed ground

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/Botanist
This has all the current gear with melding caps.
You want to hit 600 GP no less no more then put as much into gathering and perception as you can.
I think 372? gathering is the minimum you want to have.

For farming Umbral/fragrant, you can get away with 585 fairly easily, which is A LOT cheaper. Click the slot to reveal(don't use toil), 300GP for HQ bonus, gather 3times, use the +1 try for 300GP(gathering give +5 each so you get 300 after 3), gather twice more and assuming no misses, use the guaranteed crit skill. I was averaging around 2.5 HQ per node using this and gear that's basically melded for the minimum to do it. Once in a while you fail to gather, which prevents you from getting the autocrit at the end, but you still get decent HQ chance from normal picks and 5picks. If you miss twice it's pretty shitty but that happens rarely(once in the time it took me to get weapon+2 hats).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
For farming Umbral/fragrant, you can get away with 585 fairly easily, which is A LOT cheaper. Click the slot to reveal(don't use toil), 300GP for HQ bonus, gather 3times, use the +1 try for 300GP(gathering give +5 each so you get 300 after 3), gather twice more and assuming no misses, use the guaranteed crit skill. I was averaging around 2.5 HQ per node using this and gear that's basically melded for the minimum to do it. Once in a while you fail to gather, which prevents you from getting the autocrit at the end, but you still get decent HQ chance from normal picks and 5picks. If you miss twice it's pretty shitty but that happens rarely(once in the time it took me to get weapon+2 hats).
What?
WHAT?

studyguy

holmgang is decent when you don't compare it to hallowed ground

i mean, everything pales in comparison to hallowed ground

You can pull casters over the edge of the platform with holmgang.
The only instance where Hallowed loses out completely

BadRNG

Well WAR MT gives PLD OT more DPS, but the reason why PLD still MTs most fights is simply because they get Hallowed Ground and WAR gets jack shit. I wish I had a magic button that made me invincible for 10 seconds, sure would come in handy when shit goes pear shaped.

If Holmgang actually wasn't garbage I think we would see a lot more WAR MT when learning fights, PLD defensive CDs are better but it's the lack of a true 'oh shit' button that makes a lot of WAR not want to MT while learning fights.
Honestly I don't even need hallowed that often when learning fights, it is very useful no doubt but it doesn't compare overall to how long/strong the rest of my cooldowns are. It seems too simplistic to say it is just hallowed, and that's it. WAR just takes so much better timing for everything, if you don't know the fight you can't really play it by ear like you can with PLD. There is a very nice reward for actually getting that timing down but it's not a luxury you often have when first doing an encounter.

Probably arguing semantics here though, we both seem to agree PLD's toolkit is just better fit for the chaotic nature of tackling new content. I'm kind of glad it's worked out this way, as even though PLD as OT is better dps it is the most boring shit ever for any extended period amount of time. Only a single combo, no thought involved, and you don't even get the pleasure of seeing big numbers like WAR since huge chunk of damage comes from dang autoattack.

Redx508

anyone interested in filling dps slots for a static next week? need one melee and two ranged. will probably be running around 6-7 PM EST three days out of the week pm me or docbon

WolvenOne

The flaw it PLD DPS, is that thier only real rotation applies additional emnity, and Strength accessories make that emnity almost as potent as it would be if Shield Oath was active.

That isn't an issue if the main tank is also using strength accessories, but typically that's a bad idea.

This is something that can be dealt with of course, bbut it's irritating.

Conversely, Warrior has rotations that are nearly as potent as its butchers block combo, but do not apply the additional emnity bonus. The net result is that it's far easier for Warriors to back down on emnity, without completely handicapping thier DPS.

Not that PLD can't do a great job as off tank, but they're a more natural fit for main tank. In that sense I guess it's no different than how Warriors can make great Main Tanks, but fit into the OT role more easily.

Honestly I don't even need hallowed that often when learning fights, it is very useful no doubt but it doesn't compare overall to how long/strong the rest of my cooldowns are. It seems too simplistic to say it is just hallowed, and that's it. WAR just takes so much better timing for everything, if you don't know the fight you can't really play it by ear like you can with PLD. There is a very nice reward for actually getting that timing down but it's not a luxury you often have when first doing an encounter.

Probably arguing semantics here though, we both seem to agree PLD's toolkit is just better fit for the chaotic nature of tackling new content. I'm kind of glad it's worked out this way, as even though PLD as OT is better dps it is the most boring shit ever for any extended period amount of time. Only a single combo, no thought involved, and you don't even get the pleasure of seeing big numbers like WAR since huge chunk of damage comes from dang autoattack.

I don't argue semantics, I'm not WolvenOne.

And yeah, I agree with what you say here. I still wish I had HG tho :(

What?
WHAT?

You have 585 right, you use 300 for HQ buff, you're at 285, you gather 3times, you get +5 per gather so +15, you're now at 300 and can use the +1 gather skill(solid reason for mining, forgot for bot). +1 gather try and toil are pretty much the same in the sense that they give 6gathers per nodes but you can use the +1 gather later so you can skip on a lot of GP that way. I gathered all my umbrals with the old jewelry/belt and almost no overmelds on the jewelry because of that, which made it a ton cheaper to get the set ready.

For the 2 star nodes though you might want good jewelry/full melds to get your stuff, but I find I don't have enough gathering anyway to hit 100% with the +15% chance to gather 100GP buff, so I end up using the 250GP one and the 300GP for HQ, meaning 550 is good enough. Only time it'd make a difference is if you're trying to do King's Yield 2+ 15% gathering for NQ, but NQ are worth dirt even for 2stars and a single HQ is worth more than a full node of NQ with King's Yield 2. I don't really do these though so don't know if there's a better way with more GP.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I got my retainer to 50, and promtly gave it some of my old SMN gear to get the ilevel up. Do individual stats matter on the retainer, or just the ilevel as far as what you can get when you send them out? It it worth going over iLevel 80?

Sigh...11 levels in to PUG and while it's not bad, I kinda miss Gridania & the lance. Maybe I'll just tell myself I'm playing an 'advanced' character class. Who cares what other people think? I'll still have the coolest armour.

dcye

Sigh...11 levels in to PUG and while it's not bad, I kinda miss Gridania & the lance. Maybe I'll just tell myself I'm playing an 'advanced' character class. Who cares what other people think? I'll still have the coolest armour.

You need to stop worrying. This game is not like XI, no classes (NONE) are shunned in end game based on their class. Only on skill. The classes are insanely well balanced for an mmo, the people telling you different are either insane min-maxxers (min-max in this game is also largely irrelevant, ilvl is all that matters) or people who have barely played any other mmo's. Do your research and play your class well and you will be fine.

You need to stop worrying. This game is not like XI, no classes (NONE) are shunned in end game based on their class. Only on skill. The classes are insanely well balanced for an mmo, the people telling you different are either insane min-maxxers (min-max in this game is also largely irrelevant, ilvl is all that matters) or people who have barely played any other mmo's. Do your research and play your class well and you will be fine.

Alright, thanks, I'll keep that in mind and plug away.

Noi

I got my retainer to 50, and promtly gave it some of my old SMN gear to get the ilevel up. Do individual stats matter on the retainer, or just the ilevel as far as what you can get when you send them out? It it worth going over iLevel 80?

Depends on what the retainer's job is. All combat classes require is ilvl, but gathering classes require you to beef up their gathering stat.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Depends on what the retainer's job is. All combat classes require is ilvl, but gathering classes require you to beef up their gathering stat.

It's an Archanist, so just field explorations. Once I get my gathering classes leveled I might get a second and third retainer.

WolvenOne

Okay, I'm 1630ish/2000 on my Nexus now.

I, really hope the next step is more interesting than this. Novus at least had new maps, Animus was a bit too rare fate dependent, but at least is was a sorta interesting scavenger hunt.

Nexus is, pure grind. It's certainly approachable, but there's no novel mechanics at all this time around.

Tie the next step into Gold Saucer plz devs. D:

Or Triple Triad! Force us to win a complete set of Zodiac cards to upgrade the Relics next.

something! XD

dcye

I, really hope the next step is more interesting than this. Novus at least had new maps, Animus was a bit too rare fate dependent, but at least is was a sorta interesting scavenger hunt.

Nexus is, pure grind. It's certainly approachable, but there's no novel mechanics at all this time around.

Tie the next step into Gold Saucer plz devs. D:

Or Triple Triad! Force us to win a complete set of Zodiac cards to upgrade the Relics next.

something! XD

I keep seeing this, and its annoying the crap out of me. The only reason this is a "grind" is because you're making it one by doing the same shit over and over again. It obvuously designed to be casual and to get people doing different dungeons and content again. If you don't want it to be a grind, control your addiction and stop doing fucking Garudas all day.

WolvenOne

I keep seeing this, and its annoying the crap out of me. The only reason this is a "grind" is because you're making it one by doing the same shit over and over again. It obvuously designed to be casual and to get people doing different dungeons and content again. If you don't want it to be a grind, control your addiction and stop doing fucking Garudas all day.

I'm not doing Garuda all day. I've intentionally gone a bit slower than I have in the past this time around, to make it less of a Grind.

Regardless, there's no real novel mechanic here. Animus was like a scavenger hunt, Novus introduced treasure hunt content. Neither was amazing, but they were nominally interesting at least.

To be fair, doing content isn't horrible or anything, but I'd much rather be doing dungeons or Extreme Primals, rather than breaking HM Primal fights. It's just annoying that the rewards for doing lengthier or harder content really isn't proportional to the time or effort put in.

So, lack of interesting mechanic aside, the reward is a bit oddly balanced.

rubius01

Casual in a MMO? Fuck that shit! I need to have it now or my friends wont like me any more.

Frazley

Got my Relic! Now I will continue to work on the main scenario and other quests as well as cap myth and start up some new classes. This game has me! :)

I'm avoiding the grind by diversifying what I do and taking breaks.

Finally finished respeccing my Nexus last night. Got pretty lucky - got two Det4s out of Mutamix, and two Det4s out of the last round of spiritbonding I did. They all went in. The impulse purchase of a 650,000 Det4 from the MB did not. There's a moral to this story.

{I don't feel well.}

Now what do I do, now that I'm free from this time, gil and sanity-destroying grind?

{I don't feel well.}

Valor

PUG seems pretty fun so far, tbh.
PGL*

I wish I had a magic button that made me invincible for 10 seconds, sure would come in handy when shit goes pear shaped.
Inner Beast says "How u doin'" Don't mind him, though, he's just kind of flirty these days. HG ain't nuffin' compared to IB + Vengeance.

For farming Umbral/fragrant, you can get away with 585 fairly easily.
Sounds like someone is poor or doesn't like food. 600 GP is a lot easier, even if you can scrape by with 585. Just go get a crappy piece of GP food and you can make up the difference in no time.

In that sense I guess it's no different than how Warriors can make great Main Tanks, but fit into the OT role more easily.
Difference is, obviously, that WAR can dps like pros through Defiance. Paladins, though... well... they have Shield Swipe.

Sigh...11 levels in to PUG...
PGL*

How can you even tell how much you have since it isn't shown in-game, hmmm? Tsk tsk.

Isaccard

Finally finished respeccing my Nexus last night. Got pretty lucky - got two Det4s out of Mutamix, and two Det4s out of the last round of spiritbonding I did. They all went in. The impulse purchase of a 650,000 Det4 from the MB did not. There's a moral to this story.

{I don't feel well.}

Now what do I do, now that I'm free from this time, gil and sanity-destroying grind?

{I don't feel well.}

Good job, congrats

scy

So, lack of interesting mechanic aside, the reward is a bit oddly balanced.

I still have no idea how anyone didn't look at the time:reward ratio on some of these and go "wait, we screwed up." Hell, even as simple as 1 -> 2 -> 4 -> 8 -> 16 -> 32 for the tiers pretty much normalizes the curve. Most the problems stem from it going 4 -> 6 -> 12 -> 16.

Still, it's a relatively laid back grind. You just fill a bar at your pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom