• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

Also ban bikini and spring dress glamouring.

A world without bikini cat girls or spring dress lala's would be amazing.

EDIT - Also ban whatever Asami glamours as it's going to automatically be horrible. :)

So whats the state of the game currently? Been itching to come back and mess around a bit, but I had quit within a couple weeks of 2.3 when the game had pretty much degraded to "hunts are the only content anyone is doing". Has it improved any?

Pre patch lull, it's kinda slow in general. Wait until 2.4 when activity picks up again

aceface

Also ban bikini and spring dress glamouring.

A world without bikini cat girls or spring dress lala's would be amazing.

EDIT - Also ban whatever Asami glamours as it's going to automatically be horrible. :)

Pfftt, if you don't have a lala tanking Nael in a spring dress, you're doing it wrong.

suzu

Need more cute glamour options (or increase dungeon gear drop rate..) for my lala. Until then.. it's just spring dress, sailor clothes, or yukata. lol

Talaysen

oOQwhiL.jpg

despair

Wish I could trade in HQ for NQ...

mkJei92.jpg

despair intensifies

There's another Heat Waves coming up so maybe I can get another then...

Edit: Got another NQ. That makes three for the Supra. Now I need to level up my desynth level. Only 85 on CUL...

Sakura

I purchased 60 days the other day, but my GPU seems to be throttled in game or something, and lots of the time I'm stuck at 10FPS. Hopefully I can fix it, because it's unplayable like this :(

Sakura

What kind of GPU do you have?
630m
Pretty sure it is being throttled because this is what it looks like when the game is not running
and this is what it looks like in game
Now I ain't no computer wizard, but I don't think current clock should be 199 in game.

It will run fine at times at around 30-40FPS, but often just drops to 10. And regardless of what I turn the settings down to, the framerate doesn't budge. I've already made sure everything is set to maximum performance for power settings, in the Nvidia Control panel and the computers power options.

I made a thread about it on the geforce forums hopefully someone will be able to help me.

WolvenOne

630m
Pretty sure it is being throttled because this is what it looks like when the game is not running

and this is what it looks like in game

Now I ain't no computer wizard, but I don't think current clock should be 199 in game.

It will run fine at times at around 30-40FPS, but often just drops to 10. And regardless of what I turn the settings down to, the framerate doesn't budge. I've already made sure everything is set to maximum performance for power settings, in the Nvidia Control panel and the computers power options.

I made a thread about it on the geforce forums hopefully someone will be able to help me.

You, might be able to run is okay at 720p.

Tabris

I'm starting to enjoy T9 a lot more now that we got first 2 phases pretty consistent. I like the next phases. Everyone else was dead but I was still alive long enough to run around the arena and see the 3 dragons and get ice balled in Phase 4.

We unfortunately haven't had that much practice but now that it's ramping up we're really getting some progression. In last 4hrs, we've gone from barely making it out of Phase 1 with 7 meteors and dieing in Phase 2, to getting 5 meteors (getting super close to 4) in Phase 1 and having no issues really w/ phase 2 and getting super close to Phase 4.

This is most fun part of the game honestly. When it's not banging your head against the wall progression.

Tabris

So Korra records our static runs for game trailers. So weird watching yourself in these recordings. It's helpful actually, but weird lol.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So Korra records our static runs for game trailers. So weird watching yourself in these recordings. It's helpful actually, but weird lol.

I watched your run tonight. A couple suggestions: save LB3 for the second ghost. It's easier just to go all out on Nael and the first one and killing the second one quickly means you can avoid third Heavensfall easier. Secondly, all ranged should be standing toward the back part of the ring. You should have less deaths this way since it's easier to spread out there.

Valor

I watched your run tonight. A couple suggestions: save LB3 for the second ghost. It's easier just to go all out on Nael and the first one and killing the second one quickly means you can avoid third Heavensfall easier. Secondly, all ranged should be standing toward the back part of the ring. You should have less deaths this way since it's easier to spread out there.

Gonna second this as pleb ranged dps, you can keep your dps up higher if you're not running to get out of that pop aoe from the ghost. Spreading out from there will be easier, yes.

Tabris

That's a good point Kagari and Valor. I'll have Asami marked and have all range/healers group on him (who's already outside the range) during that time.

Alex

Ah, Fenrir as Snowcloak boss. What a waste. Felt the same about Diabolos as well. Well known figures just tossed out there as minor hurdles with no love or story to them. =/

Yoshi and crew's use of major FF figures is very suspect. =/ Then again, they couldn't be bothered to make use of their own major primals either so this is no surprise.

I am ok with Fenrir being a dungeon boss... in concept. It is not where he's placed that bugs me, it was looking at another set of what will likely be meaningless dungeons in a game with little to offer in terms of primary content at cap. As is they have no presence and you bowl them over in 15 minute trash runs that have no real use, be it newbie, alt or main, especially when they drop a single filtered water at the end. If Yoshida takes a step towards better learning how to structure or itemize his end game, it'd be fun to see staple characters in dungeons but as is, yeah, it's a waste but that is the running theme of the game currently. Throwing so many wonderful assets from a talented art and modeling team at a director that struggles to utilize them.

Getting people off of vendors and into better laddered progression should be a concern for them. Cull the mass output down and make dungeons into events like other MMOs, three a tier instead of three a patch. Add reps, server events and expeditions based on them. Structure them better with multiple modes to suit fresh faces, alts, vanity hunters and even people wanting some challenge and please, learn to itemize. Increase power growth, look into fixing the very narrow stat array in the future put out good loot tables. Solid gear, fun rare drops and consumables that shake up the market more consistently. If they also fixed up alts, applied the same laddering (and itemization, right now Savage isn't even itemized) to raiding and kept the Primals in the mix I feel they'd have a more populated and healthy end game.

Right now, they're mostly courting burn out with the kind of content they're using to pick up the slack, and it's going to amplify with each repeat. I think XIV absolutely has a lot of that XI-esque loyalty going for it but I do question if it'll last as long without changes to content, especially when they have so very much to work with.

Nohar

Well... Diabolos and Fenrir may end up out of focus, but I'm fine with it. They don't need to have the same relevance as they did in FFXI, and other characters can take larger roles as a result. For example, I would love to see the 4 fiends (Final Fantasy IV) make an appearance (maybe for the next "raid" dungeon?).

That being said, I wonder how things will be when the 2.4 will be released. I don't really expect substancial changes to the game. I'm waiting for the expansion to see if they manage to fix some aspects of the game I really dislike.

Alex

Well... Diabolos and Fenrir may end up out of focus, but I'm fine with it. They don't need to have the same relevance as they did in FFXI, and other characters can take larger roles as a result. For example, I would love to see the 4 fiends (Final Fantasy IV) make an appearance (maybe for the next "raid" dungeon?).

That being said, I wonder how things will be when the 2.4 will be released. I don't really expect substancial changes to the game. I'm waiting for the expansion to see if they manage to fix some aspects of the game I really dislike.

Four Fiends would make a terrific piece of content. Particularly remixed music, I've grown rather sick of FFIV over the years despite adoring it growing up but I'll never tire of that tidbit.

They could just give them the EX primals treatment and pretend something/someone did something to them and now they're alive again and more powerful, please help us adventurer. And now they're 8man fights. They don't really need the "primal" tag to be 8man boss content, like Greg, Chimera, Hydra and such.

BadRNG

Getting people off of vendors and into better laddered progression should probably be a concern for them. Cull the mass dungeon output down a tad and make them into events like other MMOs, three a tier instead of three a patch, maybe, fewer but more meaningful. Add reps, server events and expeditions based on them. Structure them better with multiple modes to suit fresh faces, alts, vanity hunters and even people wanting some challenge and for the love of god, learn to itemize. Increase power growth, look into fixing the very narrow stat array in the future put out good loot tables from each boss. Solid gear, fun rare drops and consumables that shake up the market more consistently.
What you're saying is, FFXIV: The Burning Crusade?
you are not prepared

I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying, and I am hoping the expansion shakes up the current formula as these dead-content stretches before patches seem to be getting longer and longer every time. There's just not enough content worth doing, and the gear you're doing it for is just boring. Most of the stats on gear don't even matter choice wise, if you go for highest ilevel blindly you will be fine 99.9% of the time.

But I will say this: if they ever decide to tie end game into a rep grind I will probably quit. Never again.

Alex

What you're saying is, FFXIV: The Burning Crusade?
you are not prepared

I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying, and I am hoping the expansion shakes up the current formula as these dead-content stretches before patches seem to be getting longer and longer every time. There's just not enough content worth doing, and the gear you're doing it for is just boring. Most of the stats on gear don't even matter choice wise, if you go for highest ilevel blindly you will be fine 99.9% of the time.

But I will say this: if they ever decide to tie end game into a rep grind I will probably quit. Never again.
Rep grinds should always be optional. I threw hissy fits during the Sunwell because of rep and dailies, I'm sure it's documented somewhere back in the annals of time on GAF :lol But, some people love them, and sometimes Square's short stories work out well with such things, so I feel they'd be better optional and casual content in this game than some of the current hateful fare.

Currently, I'm about to take a break, check out some old haunts, but I absolutely plan to check things out for 3.0. XIV is always enjoyable in a burst fashion but I do wish it was a little more hobbyist and a little less flash in the pan. Right now it's a very good Final Fantasy game and a somewhat iffy MMO, that doesn't need to flip flop, they have a more intimate flavor they should maintain but the balance should come together a little more.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I've done The Veil of WiiU quest up to Zenith because I couldn't think of any other weapon to stick on my SMN and... damn this quest is good.
Get these rare mats from these places to make a thing.
Meld the thing. Do this and this content ONCE.
Get a bunch of endgame currency and do this ONCE.
And boom you have a decent weapon.

In comparison Nexus is just lazy ass asinine crap. All for an ilvl increase of FIVE.

I don't. I just don't.

iammeiam

Nexus is lazy, but I still think it's the least horrible of the post-Zenith relic steps. You earn light from basically everything, so as long as you're doing some kind of content on a regular basis you'll get there eventually. Compare and contrast with Atma (you would almost certainly never be grinding low-level FATES on that class without the Atma carrot), Animus (FATE camping, killing four spawns worth of a specific enemy, rerunning specific older dungeons depending on the book), or Novus (grind for Alex and spiritbond or impoverish yourself for materia.) Nexus at least puts you in total control of the situation, and at the same time they made Novus marginally less bad by introducing the relatively easy respec.

The worst parts of the Nexus grind seem to be self-imposed by the playerbase's "Gotta go fast!" mindset. Which isn't helped by 2.38 being really light on other stuff to do, but in and of itself Nexus seems mostly harmless (and really, really easy to nerf in the future by making 2.4 content give more light than older content, or something.)

Valor

The relic quest in general from Atma on are just carrots to incentivize players to do content they're too grown up to do to help out the younger ones who are still plodding their way through it. None of it is really novel, and most of it is just busy work the entire time.

And that five level increase is pretty massive.

BadRNG

Nexus is lazy, but I still think it's the least horrible of the post-Zenith relic steps. You earn light from basically everything, so as long as you're doing some kind of content on a regular basis you'll get there eventually. Compare and contrast with Atma (you would almost certainly never be grinding low-level FATES on that class without the Atma carrot), Animus (FATE camping, killing four spawns worth of a specific enemy, rerunning specific older dungeons depending on the book), or Novus (grind for Alex and spiritbond or impoverish yourself for materia.) Nexus at least puts you in total control of the situation, and at the same time they made Novus marginally less bad by introducing the relatively easy respec.
What about when Novus is an inferior weapon to what you have? Then you're forced in the same old trap of being forced to grind something you don't normally do.

Help I do 290 dps on BLM at i98 how do I get gud
Flare > Convert > Blizzard 3 > Flare > repeat is how the pros do it.

Tabris

Some people always come in and are like "Yeah I do 500 DPS no issue on everything" "Get good". I would love to actually see some dps meters. And dps meters on averaging everything, not just the perfect run / section of a fight for your DPS, or stats from a dummy.

Either everyone here is amazing and we're bad as a group, or people embellish a bit.

studyguy

Some people always come in and are like "Yeah I do 500 DPS no issue on everything" "Get good". I would love to actually see some dps meters. And dps meters on averaging everything, not just the perfect run / section of a fight for your DPS, or stats from a dummy.

Either everyone here is amazing and we're bad as a group, or people embellish a bit.

You mean your WHM isn't pulling 400dps while healing the party?
Gross

sippycup

Neo Member
Flare > Convert > Blizzard 3 > Flare > repeat is how the pros do it.

Lol, best AOE DPS right now is this:

Fire III > Flare > Transpose, wait til first tick for mana > Fire III > Fire II > Fire II > Flare > repeat

Whenever possible, use convert after the first flare and swiftcast a second one for double flare fun!

and of course if you're up against a single target, use this:

Fire III > Fire until out of mana > Blizzard III > Thunder II or something else while you wait for mana, repeat

iammeiam

T9 is the first time my inability to parse myself has really bugged me--I really want to know if popping an Xpot actually noticeably changed my numbers or if the five meteor thing was just wacky coincidence.

Beyond that comparing DPS just leads to madness; familiarity, group composition, battle strategies, whatever will lead to different numbers for different people. and yeah skill too, but unless someone is really bad or you're pushing for world first it seems like more stress than it's worth. Ohno I'm only a mediocre bard; thankfully the content is tuned to be forgiving and allow that. As long as your group meets the minimum and nobody's pulling 150 or something, it just seems weird to stress about.

What about when Novus is an inferior weapon to what you have? Then you're forced in the same old trap of being forced to grind something you don't normally do.

I don't mean to claim Nexus is, you know, good, just markedly less terrible than previous steps. If you have a HA weapon (or built my dream piety/parry/spell speed Artemis Bow Novus) then, yeah, you're going to have to gimp yourself a little but you don't really need an optimal weapon to do trial roulette or pony farm or run the 2.4 dungeons whatever. The content itself is the same regardless, you're just not at max power for it. Everything post-Zenith is grindy, but I'd rather swap to a suboptimal weapon for stuff I'm going to do either way than specifically run a bunch of extra crap.

Tabris

Beyond that comparing DPS just leads to madness; familiarity, group composition, battle strategies, whatever will lead to different numbers for different people. and yeah skill too, but unless someone is really bad or you're pushing for world first it seems like more stress than it's worth. Ohno I'm only a mediocre bard; thankfully the content is tuned to be forgiving and allow that. As long as your group meets the minimum and nobody's pulling 150 or something, it just seems weird to stress about.

Yeah, I was just commenting on either the embellishment it seems that goes on around people declaring their DPS, or if real DPS numbers, then the big difference I see. Nothing to actually stress out about.

Comparing is useful for understanding what amount of DPS is needed to push through certain phases. Also to understand if someone is low, what can be done to address it. We had issues with our DPS when we started as a group months ago and there was certain things each of us found out to get better, and it benefited entire group. "Oh as SMN I need to ensure I'm acc capped before food", "Oh I was using bloodletter wrong", "I use this control method, what do you guys use?", "Oh I can jump in during Iron Chariot for more damage". So DPS is useful to allow people to get better, by realizing there may be a different way if there's is lower than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom