• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Imagine how all the new ninjas will feel when 2.4 drops. I'm thinking if they ever planned to nerf steps in the relic quest, 2.4 will be the time.

Pretty sure all the people who have planned to go ninja already have an unhealthy stash of all 12 atmas and 75 alexandrite along with an UAT and a sand for good measure.

Sorian

Banned
Pretty sure all the people who have planned to go ninja already have an unhealthy stash of all 12 atmas and 75 alexandrite along with an UAT and a sand for good measure.

Doesn't really help much with the books and the light though and I find those to be the more annoying parts. I bet Alex will become super easy to come by though assuming they drop myth from the game.

Well simplifying the relic quest wouldn't be too hard, just tweak the numbers, the steps themselves aren't really bad, it's just the amount of stuff you need that sucks in all of them but relic/zenith(and even zenith back in 2.0 was pretty annoying, but it was the best weapon so well worth it).

I don't think they'll do it before the expansion though. Or maybe before 2.6 when they run out of new content before the expansion and have to recycle old stuff.

scy

Relic quest = trash. Can't even imagine being a new player and seeing the huge list of stuff needed for it now.

"Better do it before another bullshit step happens." - Nobody
besides me

Realistically, a new fresh relic will need to happen so new players can just jump in and, y'know, actually do it. Or some significant shortcuts on the earlier steps for the Atmas and books.

I bet Alex will become super easy to come by though assuming they drop myth from the game.

Unless they keep Myth around and we have to deal with 3 currencies!

...oh god, hunts will never die.

WolvenOne

Remember to cap your myth before the update.
Get back some cheap Sol probably at a reduced rate.

Expect 2000 Myth to convert into 500 Soldiery. That was the exchange ratio when they phased out Philosophy Tomes.

Ideally, I'd like to see Myth stay so Hunts are the source for Myth and Soldiery so new content is how you get the new tomes. But ... we'll see, I guess.

I doubt Myth will stay. Already there's very little you can do with it, once you're done with Alexandrite and such.

studyguy

Expect 2000 Myth to convert into 500 Soldiery. That was the exchange ratio when they phased out Philosophy Tomes

I doubt Myth will stay. Already there's very little you can do with it, once you're done with Alexandrite and such.

Aye pretty much what I expect.
I don't see why anyone would think we'd run 3 tomes anymore. To be honest I hope the expansion just does away with tomes all together and introduces a new system.
Maybe Tombstones. Really innovate.
The treadmill will always exist though, so I have little faith in it changing much beyond collecting different knickknacks.

Sorian

Banned
Aye pretty much what I expect.
I don't see why anyone would think we'd run 3 tomes anymore. To be honest I hope the expansion just does away with tomes all together and introduces a new system.
Maybe Tombstones. Really innovate.
The treadmill will always exist though, so I have little faith in it changing.

Honestly, I think the exact same system should stay in place but the only place to get the highest tome is from coil. It's raid gear and the way to get tomes should reflect that. A currency system like this should only be used as a way to advance regardless of how your groups RNG looks.

scy

Expect it? Nah, I don't. Just would like to not see capping weekly off Hunts still be the thing.

Then again, I'll be in every hunt train for soldiery still anyway.

Honestly, I think the exact same system should stay in place but the only place to get the highest tome is from coil.

I'd go ahead and add Extreme Primals to that probably. Just to get some of them run more. Can even reuse the light bonus thing to shift the reward around.

studyguy

The RNG in the raids is really the only downer. I don't care much about tomes for non raid gear, but man. Some things just refuse to drop in coil.

Sorian

Banned
The smarter system (something SWTOR did 100% right) is to have the boss drop a gear token that anyone can roll for and then there is a vendor that takes that token and gives you your specific class gear. So T6 drops the head and earring token, T7 drops the belt and pants token, etc.

WolvenOne

Honestly, I think the exact same system should stay in place but the only place to get the highest tome is from coil. It's raid gear and the way to get tomes should reflect that. A currency system like this should only be used as a way to advance regardless of how your groups RNG looks.

Personally, I'd rather see some sort of Blueprint/Token system. Basically, once you clear a turn for the first time, you get a blue-print for that Turns drops, then use tokens to commission those items.

That way, you'd still have to clear T14 or whatnot, in order to get access to Royal Allagan Weapons (or whatever,) but theoretically you could never clear it again, and still eventually get enough tokens to commission the item.

Additionally, I'd put accessories and limb/head pieces for the first few turns, main body pieces and weapons for the last few turns.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The RNG in the raids is really the only downer. I don't care much about tomes for non raid gear, but man. Some things just refuse to drop in coil.

Yeah...
we still haven't seen:
Monk chest
Tank necklace
Bard chest
HA sword
HA axe
HA spear

And only seen a bunch of the caster items one time despite clearing 6-8 in Apirl.

studyguy

The smarter system (something SWTOR did 100% right) is to have the boss drop a gear token that anyone can roll for and then there is a vendor that takes that token and gives you your specific class gear. So T6 drops the head and earring token, T7 drops the belt and pants token, etc.

That would be great and I've mentioned that in the past too but... I'm not holding my breath for it.

As long as SE and the team are playing it safe, we're always going to be the fat chocobo while YoshiP dangles those shinys infront of us.

Fat_chocobo2.jpg

WolvenOne

Something akin to this will be necessary eventually. While they're only adding one class in 2.4, that alone is going to make loot tables swell a bit, and they'll only swell more after the expansion. Eventually, the loot tables will simply be too large to manage using the current system.

I mean, I guess they could compensate by simply adding more chests, but at the very least they'd need to take steps to prevent double drops then. Double drops in Coil may be pretty rare, but they do happen, even with only two chests. If they went to four....<_<;;

That's actually what most western mmos do other than random dungeon drops. They all have regular loot off bosses and then some of them have guaranteed tier tokens along with other gear. FF14 is one of the few westernized mmos that is an exception to that rule though, pretty much took everything else from other games except a tier system. Other than raid bosses, regular dungeon bosses don't have a massive list of possible drops either, it's always just 3-6 depending on boss and you never get shit mats.

studyguy

Something akin to this will be necessary eventually. While they're only adding one class in 2.4, that alone is going to make loot tables swell a bit, and they'll only swell more after the expansion. Eventually, the loot tables will simply be too large to manage using the current system.

Hah, didn't even consider that fact...
Imagine trying to get a single drop if they don't change it and they add not only NIN but say two other new jobs come expansion and they all have unique gear? I mean they already lump some jobs together for gear, but still that would be absolutely terrible.

They'll probably do it.

Sorian

Banned

So far it seems like they don't care how long someone has to chase a piece of gear while fighting RNG. If they keep the same mentality, it won't really matter how much loot tables swell. To a smaller degree they showed how much they care on this topic with how much the dungeon chests have swelled because of useless mats.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

WoW has been doing this for a while too.

studyguy

Man I can't wait for FFXIV: Unreal Engine Edition
Hopefully it's done soon :3

On the real though DX11 support was nearing completion, right?

Isaccard

So far it seems like they don't care how long someone has to chase a piece of gear while fighting RNG. If they keep the same mentality, it won't really matter how much loot tables swell. To a smaller degree they showed how much they care on this topic with how much the dungeon chests have swelled because of useless mats.

Yoshida just doesn't give a fuck; why not add some cooking sherry and animal fat to coil loot tables too, make you really feel like you earned that gear if/when/should it ever drop

Sorian

Banned
Yoshida just doesn't give a fuck; why not add some cooking sherry and animal fat to coil loot tables too, make you really feel like you earned that gear if/when/should it ever drop

Can't wait to kill a coil end boss and some void sent blood drops instead of a weapon.

smashism

Finally finding some time to play again, got the itch. I am resubbing and trying again with a fresh character. See you ultros gaf.

WolvenOne

I really would like to see at least the Atma and Animus steps of the Relic Quest, nerfed. Not unto oblivion mind you, but enough to make them less serious hurdles for newer players.

I mean, case in point. I would actually consider getting a Curtana Animus for my PLD, if only for vanity, but the amount of content necessary to do that makes that an unreasonable proposition.

In other words, by leaving these steps unnerfed, not only do they make them all the more daunting for new players, but they discourage existing players from engaging in repeat content.

Incidentally, the only reason I single out Atma and Animus, is because Novus can't really be further nerfed, without increasing the Materia supply. Getting the Alexandrite isn't a big deal anymore, and will probably be easier to get after the patch.

Not sure they can increase the Materia supply, without also putting in an additional use for materia though.

Sorian

Banned
They could always make it so that slotting a materia adds the stat gain of that particular materia instead of just one materia equals one point. I doubt they will though because then everyone will trip over themselves getting a new BiS scroll.

They could nerf Nexus by requiring less materias, or capping the fail % at a much higher % on tier 2-3(so you don't require tier 4 as much). If you had 80% chance minimum to slot tier3s, people wouldn't bother using tier 4s which would massively reduce the price of entry, or well it might even the price between 3 and 4, but you can tweak that and the fail rate of 2s also to get something better.

Atma just needs to drop more, it's not really hard to do. Animus could remove a bunch of the books I guess, basically only one book per stat. Alternatively keep all the books but reduce the amount of mobs and the amount of myth needed to buy books, as well as change the fates to more common fates(like beast tribe daillies fates or the crystal tower opening fates, both types which are almost always up).

Doubt they will do these, but Ninja addition might make them consider it. I'd assume most people people won't even bother with ninja relic past zenith.

scy

If you had 80% chance minimum to slot tier3s, people wouldn't bother using tier 4s which would massively reduce the price of entry, or well it might even the price between 3 and 4, but you can tweak that and the fail rate of 2s also to get something better.

You're required to move up tiers. For instance, a 44 stat (e.g., Crit) you have to slot 11 of each. You don't have a choice.

You make me sad.

No, go do some 2nd coil now ffs!

{I don't feel well.}

Sorian

Banned
They could nerf Nexus by requiring less materias, or capping the fail % at a much higher % on tier 2-3(so you don't require tier 4 as much). If you had 80% chance minimum to slot tier3s, people wouldn't bother using tier 4s which would massively reduce the price of entry, or well it might even the price between 3 and 4, but you can tweak that and the fail rate of 2s also to get something better.

This isn't how the novus works at all. You have to use a set amount of tier 1 then a set amount of tier 2 etc.

Beaten by the Scy

WolvenOne

The problem with removing books, is that undoubtedly some people will already have the books in thier inventory when they're patched out.

Changing Novus so you can meld more 1-3s could work, but I tend to think that simply increasing the tier 4 supply would do it better. The prices are already dropping, albeit slowly, so it wouldn't take too much of a supply increase to put the market price back to some point where casual players could potentially afford it.

studyguy

Relic nerf will come in a couple ways I'd imagine:
* +1 Relic mat costs lowered to almost nothing
* Atma chance raised eventually/ Number of atma lowered
* Animus requires less books eventually
* Novus Alexandrite costs lowered for trade ins
* Nexus just takes less time

I mean there are a fuckton of ways it can be moved along faster, but they'll probably do none of that and simply add another step because fuck you, please look forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom