• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
FPS in busy areas can be a bit lacking but generally it's as good as a PC version running on High. You can even use KBM!
If you attach the PS4 license to your existing account your Legacy benefits (whatever character you had on there and the subscription discount) are gonna transfer. If you by chance get a hold of a PC version as well you can play them interchangeably at any time.

Thanks.

Do I need to buy the game on PS4? Can't I DL the PC version since I'm legacy? And also, is the CE worth it (assuming I gotta buy the PS4 version)? I'd go digital on PS4 as I prefer that over discs now,ha.

Oh, and can I play with GAF?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Thanks.

Do I need to buy the game on PS4? Can't I DL the PC version since I'm legacy? And also, is the CE worth it (assuming I gotta buy the PS4 version)? I'd go digital on PS4 as I prefer that over discs now,ha.

Oh, and can I play with GAF?

I think you do get a free PC copy but I'm not sure about the particulars.
You'll have to buy the PS4 version.
CE provides a bunch of extra cosmetic items such as mounts.
As for GAF guild, see the OP.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
These days I regard all secrecy with suspicion after the way they kept personal housing under wraps because it was going to be such a huge fuck you to the players.

Yeah I can completely understand that. I'm not too pleased with the way they keep hiding information to avoid 'controversy' or whatever lately.

Isaccard

If I had to guess, it'll be Arcanist that cross classes for Ninja

The logic behind this reasoning is flawless because YoshiP hates you

Checkmate.

WolvenOne

I get the impression that Japanese companies, (or maybe just SE), like to control what is said about the games, and like to distribute information in a very measured and controlled manner, in an attempt to generate interest.

To a degree this is justifiable, but, I think it's counter productive beyond a certain point. People expect a certain degree of open communication once a game is released. This is especially true in the West, where consumers can increasingly involve themselves with the development process.

Mind you, I don't expect them to dump all the info this early, but, it probably wouldn't hurt to reveal which sub-class you need for ninja.

If anything, it'd probably get some people logging in again.

I think the reasoning is more that they want to surprise people and stuff, so they're not revealing much. It is not really an interesting mystery though, just annoying. Well, for people who haven't leveled every class to 15.

That or they're adding a secret 2nd class. Musketeer/Pirate and they cross class each other. Is a tank class too.

aceface

Yoshi has a thing where he doesn't want information about new patches affecting the way people play in the current game environment. He's talked about it before. I don't know why he feels so strongly about it or if it's justified, but it is what it is.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yoshi has a thing where he doesn't want information about new patches affecting the way people play in the current game environment. He's talked about it before. I don't know why he feels so strongly about it or if it's justified, but it is what it is.

I think it's pointless at this point. He should be talking about it to get people to keep playing.

WolvenOne

I think it's pointless at this point. He should be talking about it to get people to keep playing.

Yeah, mind you, it doesn't take long to level a second class to 15, but players that start leveling that class now are likely to at least take the class to thirty, where as in 2.4, they will probably jump back to Ninja immediately after getting the subclass leveled up.

In many cases I can understand a degree of secrecy, but they are doing a disservice to themselves in this case.

To be fair, while boring, it doesn't take very long to get all classes to 15 before 2.4. Or at least all DoW, it's unlikely a DoM will be the sub(though some argue THM could be but that'd probably hurt the class by having a bunch of garbage cross class skills).

WolvenOne

To be fair, while boring, it doesn't take very long to get all classes to 15 before 2.4. Or at least all DoW, it's unlikely a DoM will be the sub(though some argue THM could be but that'd probably hurt the class by having a bunch of garbage cross class skills).

Oh, I don't believe for four a second that the sub-class will be DoM. The only DoM class that even kinda fits is BLM, and as you said, the cross class skills there would be bizarre on a melee class.

Thematically, and in terms of cross class, monk makes the most sense, followed by Dragoon. I guess it's theoretically possible that it could be Archer, but that would only be a half step less bizarre than BLM.

And, yeah, it doesn't isn't a huge deal to wait and see what the sub is, there just isn't any benefit to waiting. People are looking for things to do now after all, giving them something to do would help keep people more active.

Sorian

Banned
Considering all I really know about ninja is they hit things with swords and cast ninja magic I could probably believe the cross class is a DoM without batting an eye.

Ken

I don't think there's much they could get out of DoM crossclass. Even current mages don't get much out of DoM crossclasses outside of Swiftcast and Blizz2 for PVP.

Finished my work on my suit and I'm quite proud of it. A few pieces are still dungeon pieces but most are HQ gear hand crafted and all completely melded with materia now too! The money I'm making from selling mats and items I'm leveling with has netted me up to 60k gil with around 90k more up on the market. LOVING IT!

Before, me wearing primarily FoeStriker gear
ib18BFujiY6EEU.jpg

i6M6LUDuWvHxm.jpg

Now, me wearing mostly Goatskin pieces along with some leftover dungeon gear that is still better then the stuff I can currently make.

Only piece left is my bracelet. I'll get that to HQ and re-melded at some point tonight or tomorrow. Couldn't believe I got that chest piece for 5k. History shows it selling in the 50 - 60K range for a long time. Thing boosted me by 30+ defense and magic.

I never show helm in MMOs. Why would I spend all the time I did in the character creator only to cover my head up with an ugly-ass helmet?

The badass Amon's Hat is one of very few exceptions I have found to this.

There's a few cool headpieces in the game. The magic hats are nice, like vanya and stuff or even the BLM one. For tanks though I didn't use much other than the "I'm a robot" set, like with helm/chest and legs/boots combined that starts at 34 and is eventually reused for the darksteel 2star set. It's just so tank-ish I didn't mind it, but it made the paladin quests really awkward when my character was trying to express things through the helm.

BadRNG

The idea that it could adversely affect the game if people knew major changes too early is ridiculous. The only major thing that could happen is people adjust their market decisions based on that information, but that's not a bad thing. And it already happens anyway. Anytime a major patch comes out you got a ton of people reading the notes while servers are down, and as soon as it is up they buy out the specified markets before most of the player base even knows the servers are up.

The only thing that would be justified in keeping under wraps is story spoilers. Gameplay stuff should out there way before it is, patch notes - even if basic ones - need to be out before the day before. This game desperately needs a public test server and a way for players to give feedback on stuff before it launches, because Yoshida's team has proven on a consistent basis they do not have any idea of how players actually play the game.

Also, the "it's a secret for hype reasons" thing stops working when the secrets you hype up end up being massive disappointments. At a certain point people stop buying into the hype.

iammeiam

I have to continue to give the game credit for facial expressions.

Accurate depiction of my feelings pre-Serious Ramuh Learning Attempts:

then he proceeded to curbstomp and I forgot to take corpse pictures for accurate post-Serious Ramuh Learning Attempt expression.

Ramuh fight is too chaotic for my tastes. Generally I can tell when a wipe is coming and why, with Ramuh it's like "WHY IS EVERYONE DEAD" or "WAIT HOW IS HE DOING JUDGMENT BOLT ALREADY".

Frustrating because I can't figure out what to do differently if I'm not catching what I'm doing wrong in the first place. So screw that guy, going to go play Alien.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Any news on the Art of Eorzea artbook? They said it was going to be on their online store but I still don't see anything...

Fan Fest.

For some reason I thought that happened already, sorry. I'll wait then :D thx

WolvenOne

I have to continue to give the game credit for facial expressions.

Accurate depiction of my feelings pre-Serious Ramuh Learning Attempts:

(stuff)

Except for the DPS check, Ramuh extreme is mostly on the Tanks and healers. Before the DPS check the Tanks merely swap after collecting orbs, with a party clean-up of orbs occurring between swaps, to keep those number of lightning attacks from going crazy high.

Before the dps check, the dps only have to watch out for a few things.

1: positioning, do not stand in water for a few moments after those lightning strike attacks, or you'll take large amounts of damage. Additionally, stay out of cleave range at all cost. Unless you have the Charge status on yourself, you're going to be one-shot by Ramuh's cleaves, no matter your HP or defense.

2: Getting in position to be shocked after being enchanted. Once you get that little target symbol onto you, run to the pre-agreed upon spot immediately and have somebody hit you with one of those lightning attacks. If you don't get this status taken off, you'll be one-shot moments later.

After the DPS check, things get a lot more crazy. Heck, to be honest I have a hard time keeping track of everything that's going on in this phase, it's one of the many instances in this game where I wish I could zoom out further.

The main change is that you'll see a tether form between two characters. If I remember correctly, with this tether in place, healers can't heal, and dps can't dps. When this goes up, one of the two people attached need to grab three orbs to break it, and there's nothing preventing two healers from getting tethered. Part of the reason this is so crazy, is that the proper response here becomes rather situational, you can't really go, "in all cases, do this, and you'll be fine." Usually Tanks get priority on orbs, sometimes a healer must grab them at all cost, (in which case the current MT may need to grab an Orb to get overcharged,) and during all of this, DPS and healers still need to intermittently clean up orbs to prevent too many lightning AoE's from dropping down.

Long story short, after that first DPS check, it's purely a matter of experience, and a teams capability to coordinate on the fly. It's a bit of a slog, but eventually people just get a feel for it.

So, basically, it just takes a lot of practice. Wish I had better advice, but tanks don't generally directly deal with those tethers all that often, and when we do it actually simplifies the fight some, since we can both break tethers and get the charge status simultaneously. Planning to take some people through that fight soon, so I should probably do some additional research I suppose. <_<;;

I don't think you need to clear anything once you're past the adds since you get the link then tank swaps, so you pretty much need 6 orbs constantly which is what I think drops. Though I guess if tanks end up extending due to an issue, you might want to clear orbs.

Also you can still heal fine when linked, you just take damage doing so, as well as the other person linked. Medica II will cover a bunch of that damage though so you can keep healing the tank. I found the hardest part as a healer was the constant tank spikes. Even with the buff Ramuh just trucks tanks for stupid amounts so you constantly need to burst heal them back, tank swaps don't help with that and then there's a shit ton of mechanics to pay attention to.

Tank job looked fairly simple to me though, but I stop having time to look at other people after the adds so not sure about that part. First part of the fight though it's arguably the easiest job to do. Maybe once it gets more chaotic it gets harder, though a lot of it comes down to the OT telling the MT to extend, and then it's all healer's jobs to keep the tank alive somehow until OT gets his shit together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom