• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

Speculation about expansion name:

Blue skies of Ishgard (jp) / Heavensward (en)

Speaking of names, has there been any recent filings that might be possibly filings for the new expansion? Expansion trademarks for FFXI were usually filed a 3-10 days before they got announced (Wings of the goddess being only 3 days before the announcement and Adoulin one was like a couple weeks ahead of the announcement) ARR was trademarked like almost a year or more ahead of the release.

studyguy

Speaking of names, has there been any recent filings that might be possibly filings for the new expansion? Expansion trademarks for FFXI were usually filed a 3-10 days before they got announced (Wings of the goddess being only 3 days before the announcement and Adoulin one was like a couple weeks ahead of the announcement) ARR was trademarked like almost a year or more ahead of the release.

Heavensward was filed.

Sorian

Banned
I'm super pumped for this weekend. I don't really care about expansion info though it will be welcomed. I just want that 2.4 date. I'm excited to play a new class and meet up with Hildy.

Iskander

Neo Member
I joined the GAF FC. So uh...now what? Being new to MMOs, I'm not really sure how progression works or when it's appropriate/useful to group with people. I did the Sastasha dungeon last night and that was fun.

Should I just wander around doing quests and dungeons as appropriate? What about crafting and field stuff? I'm level 20 in THM but haven't touched the crafting business yet.

studyguy

Was wondering about that, wasn't sure if it was just simple speculation or speculation from something filed. Sounds right to me.

Maybe they'll announce the title at the Fanfest. Who knows, maybe it'll be another mobile game. We'll see. It wouldn't be too far of the mark in terms for an expansion with Ishgard though.

Sorian

Banned
I joined the GAF FC. So uh...now what? Being new to MMOs, I'm not really sure how progression works or when it's appropriate/useful to group with people. I did the Sastasha dungeon last night and that was fun.

Should I just wander around doing quests and dungeons as appropriate? What about crafting and field stuff? I'm level 20 in THM but haven't touched the crafting business yet.

Craft if you are so inclined but I'd leave it for end game when you'll have more cash one you. For now do level appropriate quests you come across and keep up to date on the main storyline (any quests that have a flaming meteor around the exclamation point). When the story has you do a group dungeon, just queue yourself up for it so that you can get in line but feel free to ask in FC chat as well of anyone wants to run it with you, sometimes you can get a full or partial group that way to lessen your wait times.

Munba

They registered those 2 names recently.

iammeiam

Fingers crossed for 2.4 on either the 28th or the 4th.

Just do the main story, dungeons, job quests, side quests if you're bored. You can craft/gather if you want but absolutely don't need to while leveling if it all seems overwhelming. You only really need to group for dungeons, and while the queue times will be annoying you can get through 'em all in DF.

You will need to pick up and level archer to 15 when you hit THM 30 to get BLM.

Don't be afraid to ask FC chat for help or clarification.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://www.finalfantasy.net/xiv/se-trademarks-ffxiv-xpac-titles/
Possible expansion titles trademarked:

Recently Square Enix filed for a wealth of new trademarks around this year’s New York Comic Con. One, perhaps two, may catch the eye of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn fans eagerly anticipating the game’s first expansion:

商願2014-77990 HEAVENSWARD
商願2014-77991 蒼天のイシュガルド

Allard

Maybe they'll announce the title at the Fanfest. Who knows, maybe it'll be another mobile game. We'll see. It wouldn't be too far of the mark in terms for an expansion with Ishgard though.

Probably is the expansion title if they were filed at the same time, almost all the expansion names were different between JP and EN trademarks for FFXI too with a more direct naming convention for the Japanese and Allegorical or symbolic for the English name. Think the localizing head even mentioned his reasonings for that naming convention change from a PR perspective. The key is if the trademarks share similarities with other expansion like trademarks from square-enix.

Nohar

If you are not afraid to become an addicted gamer whose life will be destroyed by this MMORPG (I'm just kidding... kinda):
  • The GAF FC will help you if you ask them questions, so don't hesitate, one member may even be willing to give you advices on a regular basis.
  • You won't need to group outside of dungeons most of the time, so don't worry about it.
  • Crafting can be useful, especially if you want some "glamour" equipment and make gils (not to mention crafting your own equipment while leveling will allow you to save quite a lot of gils in the long run, especially if you are using food - it's best to craft your own food). However, crafting is time-consuming, and it will take quite a lot of time to level-up some crafts. If you want to level-up some crafts or gathering jobs, use Guildleves: it is the best way to level-up quickly those jobs. Now, be aware that crafting isn't very useful if you want end-game equipment: more often than not, it will be easier to get equipment in dungeons which will be (far) better than the one you can craft (there are some exceptions though, but making good end-game equipment via crafting cost a lot of gils).
  • I would advize you to do at least one dungeon per day, with the Party finder: more often than not you will win enough experience to level up. Also, you get an additional bonus for each dungeon you do for the first time.
  • Complete your bestiary! Easy exp is good exp!
  • You will soon reach level 30. If you want to unlock the Black Mage job (and, believe me, you want to unlock it as soon as possible), be sure to level-up the Archer class to level 15, otherwise the job quest will be unavailable to you.

Teknoman

Also make sure to keep up with the main story missions ala normal FF. The main story missions unlock alot of the extra content people do.

WolvenOne

Typically, once they start doing patch previews on Lodestone, we're only weeks away from a major patch. Heck, a lot of trailers only hit a two weeks before patch.

Don't really know why that is. XD

Iskander

Neo Member
Thanks for the advice! I already picked up Archer and got it to level 5 or so.

A question came up last night while doing Sastasha: the tank complained that he couldn't manage aggro while me and the healer were running around (after getting jumped by adds). What should I be doing in a fight if adds start coming my way? Standing and taking it in the face until the tank showed up seemed like a bad idea.

Wilsongt

A question came up last night while doing Sastasha: the tank complained that he couldn't manage aggro while me and the healer were running around (after getting jumped by adds). What should I be doing in a fight if adds start coming my way? Standing and taking it in the face until the tank showed up seemed like a bad idea.

That's a tank problem, not your problem. You and the healer were most likely better geared than the tank or he wasn't doing his trying to establish hate correctly. In that situation, there's not a lot you can do. Just eat the hits and pray the healer gets to you.

Sophia

Typically, once they start doing patch previews on Lodestone, we're only weeks away from a major patch. Heck, a lot of trailers only hit a two weeks before patch.

Don't really know why that is. XD

If it's following previous patches, the 21th or the 28th are the most logical dates for it. Right after the Fanfest and Live Letter.

suzu

In addition to what everybody else said, bookmark this and refer to it when needed.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

You should try to attack the same enemy as the tank. If adds are coming for you, run to the tank so he can pull them off you. If you're all running around, it'll only just make it harder for him. lol

iammeiam

Generally you shouldn't be pulling adds. Let the tank lead, and walk where he walked (if he hugs a wall, you hug that wall.) Tank gets to set the pace and decide what gets pulled when. Also make sure you're attacking the tank's target, and make sure to watch aggro meters. The tank should have AOE threat, but if they're only single-targeting for some reason you just kind of have to adapt. There are shitty tanks, but there are things you can do to mitigate issues resulting from new or bad tanks. Running around and kiting is not the answer in most cases.

If you take aggro, get boss add aggro, or accidentally body-pull: run to the tank. Then stand there until he's pulled them off you. It's the best chance of survival for everyone.

Don't make the tank chase you; it means he's moving the other mobs and screwing up melee DPS. It's also hard for a healer to heal you if you run out of LoS.

WolvenOne

Move towards the Tanks area of effect for their respective AOE enmity move. That way they can just spam Overpower and Flash and get it back more quickly.

aceface

Standing and taking it in the face until the tank showed up seemed like a bad idea.

No that's exactly what you should do. Running the enemies around makes it annoying as hell for the tank to grab them. This may be a stretch with pugs but you have to trust the tank to grab the mobs and the healer to heal you.

WolvenOne

On this note.

While I have access to wonderful aoe enmity moves as a Warrior, when it's just one or two enemies, I mostly single target AOE, with the occasional Overpower thrown in, the frequency of which varies depends on the party make-up. In conjunction with target marking, this works well, since it allows the party to focus DPS and start picking off targets more quickly than a haphazard approach would.

But, then, you get BLM's that just want to flare or aoe all the things, or single targeters that ignore kill orders.

That's when life as a WAR tank gets interesting. It only turns frustrating when you point this out to other players, and they respond that you're only there to spam overpower. XD

Pro-tip: Over relying on Overpower actually makes dungeons longer, since you'll run out of TP more frequently and wait longer for refills.

Sorian

Banned
Pre-50 I'd say a BLM is better off attacking single target. But at the cap, if you're fighting trash mobs and there are 3 or more, our time is better spent in an AOE rotation, which may involve multiple flares if the BLM wants to get fancy. I know tanks are capable of keeping up.

WolvenOne

Pre-50 I'd say a BLM is better off attacking single target. But at the cap, if you're fighting trash mobs and there are 3 or more, our time is better spent in an AOE rotation, which may involve multiple flares if the BLM wants to get fancy. I know tanks are capable of keeping up.

Three is, a bit iffy, but anymore then that and the math starts lining up. The problem is that, you have to consider party-wide AoE, not just single player. The math doesn't start working on Overpower having high DPS output, until there are tons of mobs in a pull to hit, so if it's just a few mobs the Tank will have higher damage output if they're mostly targeting one mob at a time. Similarly, once they're down a mob, usually the healing requirements fall far enough that the healers can start helping out with DPS as well.

This of course, doesn't mean that Tanks should universally go single target. However, if they're having to spam overpower on a relatively small mob, because a BLM is treating it like a huge mob, than the BLM is likely hurting more than helping.

To be fair though, a good tank won't pull only three enemies, unless they're particularly powerful ones. These days, the preferred technique is to pull as many enemies as your party can handle.

Iskander

Neo Member
No that's exactly what you should do. Running the enemies around makes it annoying as hell for the tank to grab them. This may be a stretch with pugs but you have to trust the tank to grab the mobs and the healer to heal you.

I see - that makes sense. Like I said, no MMO experience here so that concept wasn't obvious to me.

plake

I see - that makes sense. Like I said, no MMO experience here so that concept wasn't obvious to me.

Its good you asked though! As the others above have said: feel free to ask the FC too, we're a helpful bunch who will be glad to answer any questions.

aceface

It's no problem. I did the same thing once way back when and Drama (gardening czar from the GAF FC) yelled at me. I never forgot after that, let me tell you.

scy

In High Level or Expert dungeons, if a pull doesn't have at least 4+ things, I wonder what I'm doing wrong as a tank and will randomly pull more packs because why not. Tank all the things.

Sorian

Banned
In High Level or Expert dungeons, if a pull doesn't have at least 4+ things, I wonder what I'm doing wrong as a tank and will randomly pull more packs because why not. Tank all the things.

With the current difficulty of "hard mode" dungeons, this is really the only correct way to do things.

Sophia

It's no problem. I did the same thing once way back when and Drama (gardening czar from the GAF FC) yelled at me. I never forgot after that, let me tell you.

It's an easy mistake to make. Unfortunately it's also likely one that'll piss off even the most tolerant of tanks because you're actively making it harder specifically for them.

With the current difficulty of "hard mode" dungeons, this is really the only correct way to do things.

I am still baffled at the fact that the regular version of Stone Vigil is harder than the HM version. That just doesn't make any sense.

Valor

It's incredibly simple to keep up with the BLM aoe rotation as a tank. As long as you pop a Steel Cyclone and an Overpower (depending), you can hold through Flares with relative ease. Double Flares are only tricky in that you need to know the BLM timing of the Flares so you're prepared for it. Even then, if you lose a mob or two, it's not like it takes much to hold them again.

She has that effect on people, yes.

WolvenOne

Usually, yes. Occasionally you have instances where there's only a few mobs you can reasonably pull, but those instances are pretty sparse at this point.

Incidentally, hopful that final coil will have 5 Turns, so it ends on T14. I do realize that'd likely mean another Turn 3 though.

Nohar

Heh, true enough, that kind of things are kind of obvious for seasoned players, but it is natural that you don't know yet how these things work.

Some additional tips:
  • While in dungeon, stay in range of your healer, so that he will be able to heal you. Beware of things like columns and pillars which can hinder their line of sight, and prevent them from healing you. To put it briefly: stay close to the healer and don't hide in weird places.
  • If you are not doing it already, be sure to unlock all the aetherytes in the world, so that you will be able to warp to them and move around the world easily.
  • Like someone said, try to attack the same target as the tank. If you are playing with a good tank, he should mark the targets with signs like (1), (2), (3), etc. In that case, it is easy: kill (1) first, then (2), etc.
  • Careful: you and the conjurer can put some enemies to sleep. Be sure to avoid using AoE (Aera Of Effect) attacks (ie. attacks which hit more than one monster) if some of them are asleep to avoid waking them up.
  • On most monsters, while playing in group, it is more interesting to not use AoE spells and focus on a single target, then move to the next one. There are exceptions though. I'm not familiar enough with the Thaumaturge/Black Mage job, but I bet other users can help you.
  • You probably figured out that one on your own, but try to stay out of the enemy's zone of attacks (the big orange zone on the ground). Also, try to avoid standing in front of a monster at all costs: a lot of bosses do AoE in front of them, and/or can "cleave" (a "cleave" is an AoE regular attack in front of the monster which the zone is not visible on the ground).
I hope that helps.

So all I have left in crafters to level to 50 now is Armorer, Blacksmith, and Leatherworker. Armorer is 42 and the other two are in the high 30's, maybe I'll just power through those with leaves

My gathering classes are slowly getting up there now. Botanist is lvl 40, fisher is 35, and miner is 30 (lol). I've been leveling them up slowly with the daily turn ins.

I'm not sure when I should start crafting the 1 star items. They just look so daunting.

For 1 star items you just need to be 50 and have the lvl 50 tool you get from the last class quest, the HQ militia off-hand and the HQ set for each class (maybe even less, a Patrician set might be enough). No melds needed, so they're pretty easy to make.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Usefulness of AOE attacks rises proportionally to the number of enemies it hits, naturally. If there's just 2 you're probably wasting your resources.

Edit: Wow, current Twintania on BLM is a total joke.

WolvenOne

Usefulness of AOE attacks rises proportionally to the number of enemies it hits, naturally. If there's just 2 you're probably wasting your resources

Yep.

On that note, there are certain pulls in this game where WAR can pull such high DPS with Overpower that its silly.

Like some of those pulls in Brayflox. XD

I am still baffled at the fact that the regular version of Stone Vigil is harder than the HM version. That just doesn't make any sense.

Talking about Stone Vigil HM, I never speedrun it as a tank. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but no one has ever complained (if you try that on the High Level dungeons you'll see melee DPS start to actively pull stuff for you). It goes by pretty fast anyway and I really don't think there's that much room to pull more than 1 group of mobs at a time.

Some pulls are hard if your team (specially the healer) isn't geared enough or if you let that guy summon that dragon, so I always make sure I get to him first, even if I lose hate on the other 2 mobs for a second. Maybe there's a better way, but the dungeon is pretty quick anyways, no need to risk dying and losing more time.

Edit: In other news I just got my monk, it was a shame to lose all of those cross class skills, not entirely sure it's worth it at 30, particularly for solo stuff (Cure is a life saver and it's not like you need MP for anything else).

It's fun to see how other tanks tackle content. Most in the low level dungeons are absolutely terrible, the ones that are leveling the other tank are usually pretty good though, but you can feel how few tools they have at those levels. Still if you're marking stuff and I'm attacking "1" it really shouldn't be hitting me back. Still I'm pretty good at switching my targets to keep ahead of the hate, even if it means my DPS output takes a little hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom