• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Like someone said, try to attack the same target as the tank. If you are playing with a good tank, he should mark the targets with signs like (1), (2), (3), etc. In that case, it is easy: kill (1) first, then (2), etc.

I don't bother marking targets anymore since A) I'm not going to lose threat and B) It's fairly easy to attack the same target as the DPS / AoE anyway.

It goes by pretty fast anyway and I really don't think there's that much room to pull more than 1 group of mobs at a time.

Can pull the first three packs together and blow your cooldowns here since you don't need them for the boss. Then there's the pack + whelps (and if you're adventurous, can just take it down the hall to the first Haranguing pack). There's that odd pack before the cannons that I usually just solo pull since the Haranguing ones make for awkward grouping. After the second boss, can pull everything to the Wyvern lockout and then the final pack is done solo.

Can split the first pull and the post-second boss pull if Healing / DPS isn't there. Basically each set between bosses can be done in 1-2 pulls instead of 3-4. I usually just check my Healer and whatever AoE DPS we have to see if they're probably up for the damage output (and then yolo pull it anyway).

...but, yeah, it saves all of like a minute or so unless you get a really good group. Even doing each pack individually, its like a 20m dungeon so I mostly just do it because I like tanking all the things. And to actually get to use Hallowed in dungeons.

Sorian

Banned
I am still baffled at the fact that the regular version of Stone Vigil is harder than the HM version. That just doesn't make any sense.

It'll be the same for Qarn and AV when that comes in 2.5. The hard mode versions are easier because most people are wearing gear that destroys the content. I'm wondering if they are noticing this and down the road they'll pull us down to a specific ilvl for each instance kind of like how frontlines caps you at ilvl 80.

scy

People might have to learn mechanics.

Retroactively change all the dungeons (and trials, raids) hohoho

Imagine the chaos.

Tabris

In High Level or Expert dungeons, if a pull doesn't have at least 4+ things, I wonder what I'm doing wrong as a tank and will randomly pull more packs because why not. Tank all the things.

You must not queue for dungeons solo lately. As it's gotten brutal the amount of low DPS done in those dungeons. I've gotten into the habit of doing EXDR slowly 1-2 pulls at a time as apparently WHM's don't know what Holy is, and melee DPS don't know AOE rotations.

It drives me crazy. It's so slow. I don't know why people want to play the game that slow.

I haven't done that many dungeons as a DPS, but I remember I would occasionally do them with a tank from FC when I needed alex from EXDR and I would be so bored waiting for them to take the time to mark mobs that I would just run in myself and tank the first bit as MNK.

That's why I only do EXDR if desperate for capping soldiery.

plake

I don't bother marking targets anymore since A) I'm not going to lose threat and B) It's fairly easy to attack the same target as the DPS / AoE anyway.

Can pull the first three packs together and blow your cooldowns here since you don't need them for the boss. Then there's the pack + whelps (and if you're adventurous, can just take it down the hall to the first Haranguing pack). There's that odd pack before the cannons that I usually just solo pull since the Haranguing ones make for awkward grouping. After the second boss, can pull everything to the Wyvern lockout and then the final pack is done solo.

Can split the first pull and the post-second boss pull if Healing / DPS isn't there. Basically each set between bosses can be done in 1-2 pulls instead of 3-4. I usually just check my Healer and whatever AoE DPS we have to see if they're probably up for the damage output (and then yolo pull it anyway).

...but, yeah, it saves all of like a minute or so unless you get a really good group. Even doing each pack individually, its like a 20m dungeon so I mostly just do it because I like tanking all the things. And to actually get to use Hallowed in dungeons.

For low level content with newbies it can be quite useful to mark mobs. But other than that, yeah, no.

Thanks for the strategy on SVHM - especially the lockout part. Love those obviously.

Never tried speed running it, but as you say it's really quick anyway.

scy

You must not queue for dungeons solo lately.

I do mine almost entirely solo queue. Like I said, I'll usually check the gear on the primary AoE and figure it out from there. Even if it's sort of lacking, it's not too hard to survive the first big pull and I can just adjust the later ones down. If my DPS have like ... base Relic or a Zenith, I'll probably not do massive pulls, y'know?

And then when the BLM single-targets a 15+ mob pull anyway I just cry softly.

For low level content with newbies it can be quite useful to mark mobs. But other than that, yeah, no.

The worst part is if I DO start marking midway through the dungeon, I feel like it's a pretty big "DPS, please stop being dumb" sign :x So I just git gud and get all the aggro.

Thanks for the strategy on SVHM - especially the lockout part. Love those obviously.

Pretty much all the EXDR dungeons I just pull that way. There's some mechanism to stop us from continuing? Pull everything up to there!

Except Hullbreaker. Where you just actively avoid packs and I'm too scared to tank like 4 bees at once.

Tabris

I do mine almost entirely solo queue. Like I said, I'll usually check the gear on the primary AoE and figure it out from there. Even if it's sort of lacking, it's not too hard to survive the first big pull and I can just adjust the later ones down.

I must have had bad luck.

scy

You play FF14 now? Omg. Where have I been.

A little over two months now.

Nah you just read into it too much. You can still do that massive pull even if the WHM isn't using holy. It takes longer without their DPS but it's still faster than doing less groups at a time.

WHM has Cleric Stance before the first pull?! Hooray!

Turns it off and spams Cure.

;_____;

WolvenOne

The worst part is if I DO start marking midway through the dungeon, I feel like it's a pretty big "DPS, please stop being dumb" sign :x So I just git gud and get all the aggro.

It's not about being able to hold aggro, it's about completion speed. Focused DPS goes through mobs more quickly, especially if your best geared DPS is a melee. Additionally, yeah I could just Overpower all the things, but again, that makes the gaps between pulls longer.

Best way to do it is not to use anymore AoE than you absolutely have to. The only time you don't do this is when you're tanking 5 or more adds, in which case Overpower starts becoming a better DPS move than your single target rotations.

Granted, Flash is never going to be a better DPS move than a PLD or WAR's single target rotations.

scy

It's not about being able to hold aggro, it's about completion speed.

For low level dungeons? I find it's more an issue of which DPS is trying and which DPS has no idea how to push their buttons instead of who they attack. In HLDR/EXDR, I trust most DPS to be able to focus a target down on small pulls (e.g., Haukke's forced small pulls) and we just AoE the big pulls.

And unless there's strict synergy involved (e.g, DRG BRD), focusing the targets doesn't noticeably speed up pulls barring maybe saving a Healer GCD due to less damage out. There's enough generic AoE damage possible anyway with BRD DoTs everywhere and SCH/SMN Bane that it's not a big deal.

Also, I don't mean I just spam AoEs for threat on 3-4 mob pulls with split focus. I just pay more attention on splitting Halone combo. I rotate it anyway for the STR Debuff so it's not a huge change, I just pay more attention to those two rather than Halones on the non-targeted ones.

WolvenOne

For low level dungeons? I find it's more an issue of which DPS is trying and which DPS has no idea how to push their buttons instead of who they attack. In HLDR/EXDR, I trust most DPS to be able to focus a target down on small pulls (e.g., Haukke's forced small pulls) and we just AoE the big pulls.

And unless there's strict synergy involved (e.g, DRG BRD), focusing the targets doesn't noticeably speed up pulls barring maybe saving a Healer GCD due to less damage out. There's enough generic AoE damage possible anyway with BRD DoTs everywhere and SCH/SMN Bane that it's not a big deal.

Also, I don't mean I just spam AoEs for threat on 3-4 mob pulls with split focus. I just pay more attention on splitting Halone combo. I rotate it anyway for the STR Debuff so it's not a huge change, I just pay more attention to those two rather than Halones on the non-targeted ones.

Focused DPS definitely gets mobs down faster, for a few reasons.

1: Once you're down to a handful of mobs, the damage your receiving as Tank goes down far enough that healers can get in on the DPS action.

2: With the exception of a few classes, most DPS in this game have higher potency single target move sets. This goes out the window when there's more than a certain number of enemies of course, but in this case I'm talking about small to medium sized pulls.

Additionally, while splitting combo's can definitely spare a PLD's MP, and certainly more damage than flash, the Halone combo doesn't split all that well, in terms of DPS and enmity going out. It'll do the trick, but it'd hardly ideal.

As a healer who does solo EXDR or high lvl often, I'd say it just varies a lot depending on who you get in your group. If you get crappy geared DPS and not very good aoe(monk+smn or something), pulling the entire dungeon doesn't really get you done faster, plus as the healer I have to drop cleric to actually heal if the mobs aren't dying fast enough, while small pulls of 3-4mobs are optimal since I can just DPS the entire pull while the DPS do their stuff too which is faster than if I'm not DPSing cause I have to heal spam(plus Bane wouldn't hit more than 4mobs anyway). If the group is BLM+BRD and they're in HA/Nexus, then definitelly pull the entire place.

The tank being able to tell this from the start is useful, I've seen well geared tanks do small pulls even though we have double BLM and I've seen tanks do massive aoe pulls even though we have a monk in some mix of normal AF and dungeon drops and a "frost mage" BLM doing single target blizzard spam(that's mostly in HL queue though, not so much in EX).

Once in a while you get a bad group, or a tank who hasn't done the dungeon, can't really do much about that other than not solo queuing I'd say. Overall EXDR still goes fast regardless, even single pulls and not so good DPS. It's still on average infinitely faster than doing low level stuff in most cases.

scy

2: With the exception of a few classes, most DPS in this game have higher potency single target move sets. This goes out the window when there's more than a certain number of enemies of course, but in this case I'm talking about small to medium sized pulls.

? By split focus,I mean two DPS doing their single-target rotations on separate targets, not AoE on small pulls. Maybe I'm unsure what we're discussing lol.

The tank being able to tell this from the start is useful, I've seen well geared tanks do small pulls even though we have double BLM and I've seen tanks do massive aoe pulls even though we have a monk in some mix of normal AF and dungeon drops and a "frost mage" BLM doing single target blizzard spam(that's mostly in HL queue though, not so much in EX).

I mean, if it's a Novus/Nexus Monk and an i110 weapon SMN? I'll pull the whole thing. PB Rockbreaker + SMN DoTs still means the whole pull dies faster.

I absolutely refuse to not try at least one AoE pull if I have WHM/BLM/BRD though. Like, seriously. Come on. I have to. It's required.

Edit: Actually, if you spam Bane does it spread to just unaffected targets or is it just RNG on what'll get hit? I've never paid attention to how that target limit works.

I think Bane spreads to 3 closest, not sure, as a healer I try not to waste too many aether stacks on Bane, since they also let me heal the tank inbetween Ruin spam without dropping Cleric then casting a heal. Also Bane has a cooldown(like 10secs I wanna say, not sure).

Even if you do large pulls it's probably not gonna clear much faster unless the healer is a WHM, in which case I'd say do aoe pulls. As a SCH, I'm fine with either since my damage on small pulls is actually relatively decent and on large pulls I don't get to damage much since none of my aoes stun lock mobs for 6seconds or whatever Holy ends up being with 3casts.

aceface

This is like 2.2 flashback. I haven't done a dungeon in 3 months. I actually hopped into a few today where someone needed a healer in progress. It was pretty fun!

Demoskinos

So the last two weeks I've gotten a sand out of ST the first run I've done. You think I would be happy with that BUT NAY! Since the release of 2.3 I have ran ST every week multiple times a week some weeks and every single time that Onion Knight shows up I always get beaten in the rolls mind you one time I had a 95 and still got beaten. I just want an onion knight of my own. T___T

aceface

So the last two weeks I've gotten a sand out of ST the first run I've done. You think I would be happy with that BUT NAY! Since the release of 2.3 I have ran ST every week multiple times a week some weeks and every single time that Onion Knight shows up I always get beaten in the rolls mind you one time I had a 95 and still got beaten. I just want an onion knight of my own. T___T

My wife rolled and got it on the first All GAF run the day 2.3 was released. RNGesus was strong that day.

Apoptomon

Now that my goldsmith is 45, I think I really need to get the other DoH classes up to, well not par, but to the cross-class skills if I want a chance to HQ a level-appropriate recipe. CUL and CRP were the ones to go for, weren't they?

chrono01

So just a few more days until Fan Fest, and no pricing on the Premium stream?

Let me know how inexpensive expensive the stream will be Square-Enix, so I can make plans to give you my money.

Now that my goldsmith is 45, I think I really need to get the other DoH classes up to, well not par, but to the cross-class skills if I want a chance to HQ a level-appropriate recipe. CUL and CRP were the ones to go for, weren't they?

The useful stuff, more or less in order of importance(getting the lvl 15 stuff is higher since it's so much easier, so for example I'd put alch 15 and weaver 15 right after culinary 15):

• Culinary 37 for Hasty Touch(0cp touch) and Steady Hands II(10% better than Steady Hands I)
  • Carpenter 50 for Byregot's Blessing(converts all your inner stack into a huge touch, used as a "finisher" in rotations)
  • Weaver to 50 for Careful Synthesis II(120%progress for 0CP, lvl 15 gives you a 90%progress for 0CP that's very useful until then)
  • Alchemist 15 or 50 for Tricks of Trade(can convert a Good condition into 20CP, useful when manually crafting) and Comfort Zone(provides +16CP after 10turns, can generally be used twice for +32CP total)
  • BSM to 50 for Ingenuity 2(useful for 1star and higher crafts, lvl 15 gives Ingenuity 1 in the meantime)
  • GSM to 50 for Manipulation(better than Master Mend I) and Innovation(slightly useful to try to get more out of Byregot or fish for a Good proc before Byregot, assuming you have the CP to spare)
  • Leatherworker to 15 for Waste Not I(useful for 40 durability crafts sometimes)
  • ARM to 50 for Pieces by Pieces, for 3star crafting only

So how does one deal with the Alexandrite map with the Cyclops? I've gotten it the last 5 out of 6 times and I can't out dps all the adds that swarm me and I keep dying

Demoskinos

So how does one deal with the Alexandrite map with the Cyclops? I've gotten it the last 5 out of 6 times and I can't out dps all the adds that swarm me and I keep dying

That one is rough. Personally, I always take at least one other person with me when I do alexandrite maps. I'm not sure how you would handle that alone. Mages could at least try to Swiftcast + Flare or Holy but other than that I wouldn't know what to do.

BadRNG

What class? I assume you switch to adds as soon as they spawn. Any sort of aoe wrecks them, they do not have much hp. Save any major cooldowns for when they are up, as cyclops by himself isn't really an issue.

I do my alexandrite maps as WAR most of the time, so that is actually my favorite spawns to get.

That one is rough. Personally, I always take at least one other person with me when I do alexandrite maps. I'm not sure how you would handle that alone. Mages could at least try to Swiftcast + Flare or Holy but other than that I wouldn't know what to do.
SCH shouldn't be come anywhere close to dying, SMN can kite around with slows and binds, MNK PB/RB spam will take care of one set and second you can pop all your cooldowns and wreck them, DRG can aoe well on command, BRD too. I think PLD would be only one that would be annoying because they really only have a single aoe move that doesn't do much, bright side is there's no way they'll be able to kill you either like with SCH.

Also use your chocobo, depending on class you don't need it but will speed things up.

Ketsen

I found out by accident once that you can also just move enough out of range after the adds spawn that they'll just wander back to where they spawned. Just make a note of where they spawn compared to where the cyclops does, then move away enough to keep the cyclops's aggro and lose the adds'. If the second set of adds spawn on where you move it to, just go to another empty area around the treasure box. Then just kill off the adds afterwards however.

Sorian

Banned
I found out by accident once that you can also just move enough out of range after the adds spawn that they'll just wander back to where they spawned. Just make a note of where they spawn compared to where the cyclops does, then move away enough to keep the cyclops's aggro and lose the adds'. If the second set of adds spawn on where you move it to, just go to another empty area around the treasure box. Then just kill off the adds afterwards however.

This is how the cool kids do it

Wonder if that works on every map. I generally autolose if I get morbols on peisteskin solos because I just don't have enough aoe damage to kill all the adds while killing the big one in time(or well I would if I didn't need to run around like a little girl because standing still results in a swift death). Guess I'll test it tomorrow, see how far you can run before the mobs leash, does the map fail if you run too far?

rubius01

Nah, just do holy twice.
Had to level WHM just to beat those motherfuckers. Still haven't figured out how to manually control the chicken nugget.

Ketsen

Tested with an Alexandrite map a bit ago to fully make sure, but it looks like you can move however far out of range that you need to and usual de-aggro rules apply without instantly failing. So it works like a Levequest, just with a stricter time limit.

Nah, just do holy twice.
Had to level WHM just to beat those motherfuckers. Still haven't figured out how to manually control the chicken nugget.

I want Holy on PLD. :c

WHM can have Cover in exchange. Perfect trade, absolutely not biased at all!

Okay maybe a little biased I guess.

Jeels

So after trying Turn 5 all day and never getting passed the snake/divebomb segmemt I am questioning whether that content is for me. May skip coil and just enjoy everything else the game has to offer.

Ken

So after trying Turn 5 all day and never getting passed the snake/divebomb segmemt I am questioning whether that content is for me. May skip coil and just enjoy everything else the game has to offer.

you should know it used to take weeks to months before groups even saw snakes/divebomb

plake

As long as your group is willing and/or progressing - keep at it. T5 is still not easy but the satisfactory payoff of beating it is so worth it. In the end it really depends on the group though.

iammeiam

So after six Atma in one day, I've been stuck in Western Thanalan for ~100 fates going by achievment progress. Still no twins Atma. There's the RNG I know and love.

Luckily, aside from daily LLDR to push THM to 26, I have nothing else I have to do with my game time and a few more weeks until Ninja.

Are you getting people divebombed or are people getting you divebomed? If the latter, you might have better luck in PF (or just wait for Haman to start setting up clears again I guess); if the former, you probably just need more practice on the timing.

But, yeah, coil is doing a lot to make me reconsider my choice in hobbies. So I can totally see giving it a pass.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I remember watching a T8 guide and thinking "This is too much, I'll never get this done".
And... well.

Just keep at it. It's a lot easier than it seems.

Ken

i remember watching an atma book guide and thinking "this is too much, i'll never get this done"

and i never did

WolvenOne

Oh, don't feel bad about that, the two hardest phases of that fight are Divebombs/snakes, and the Twister Phase.

If you're making it to the snakes, your getting close.

That said, Twisters will wreak havoc the first few times your party gets that far. Again, don't be discouraged, that's normal.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
i remember watching an atma book guide and thinking "this is too much, i'll never get this done"

and i never did

iGZjzVvvFcRft.gif

scy

Are you getting people divebombed or are people getting you divebomed? If the latter, you might have better luck in PF (or just wait for Haman to start setting up clears again I guess); if the former, you probably just need more practice on the timing.

I think we had T5 planned for tomorrow at some point. Probably a few more things after some of our coil groups are done for the night.

But, yeah, coil is doing a lot to make me reconsider my choice in hobbies. So I can totally see giving it a pass.

:( :( :(

Not everyone is going to enjoy Coil, I know more people who can't stand it than those who can. The percentage of folks who actually raid is always a lot smaller than what you think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom