• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm going to have to stay late tonight for work. Soonest I'll be able to leave is around 6PM if everything goes alright. If I'm able to leave then, I'll be good to go by around 6:30 PM. Sorry guys, if you guys want to go ahead without me, that's cool.

Tabris

T5 does not have auto-wipe mechanics though.

T7, and T9 do. You can't equate the two. With T5 nerfs you could overpower it even if you had a couple people dieing to things like twister. If someone doesn't do something right with shriek or meteor, or thunder / flame debuff, etc - game over for the PT.

T8 technically does but you can assign the people who know what their doing to towers and assignments and carry the rest.

Jayhawk

what if they let us pick up snakes and throw them off the map

Expansion better add a suplex move for Monk.

I'm going to have to stay late tonight for work. Soonest I'll be able to leave is around 6PM if everything goes alright. If I'm able to leave then, I'll be good to go by around 6:30 PM. Sorry guys, if you guys want to go ahead without me, that's cool.

Ranketsu is the chosen one for working overtime.

studyguy

Ah, well I have no real experience with that fight before that point.

Post nerf there was no more need to time cool down usage with conflags for burn phases, nor was there much of a need to time the snake debuffs when you could burn them immediately and blow the main one up. I won't disagree that echo will cause people to bowl the instance over, but by that same virtue higher ilvl gear will have the same effect.

The more immediate changes (echo will probably happen over time like 1-5 and ilvl takes time to acquire) will simply be the mechanics changes to whatever they decide. I mean if they give us Echo off the bat then sure, but I don't expect them to so raiders don't get salty immediately.

Doomtrains would be great, where's our fucking Thantalan train yoshida?

I'd be amazed if echo didn't get added right off the bat with a 5-10% buff. Any raiders that haven't killed t9 after 6 months are only going to care about just going in and getting it done so they can see the new content, the few that are actually going to be salty about it, would be salty even if it was a year later with any nerfs(and they are a minority in this case, just as they always are in mmos).

The only actual mechanic changes I would expect within the first few weeks would be letting petrify be cleansed or give it a really short duration on players(which knowing Square, would result in Renauds being broken for a week), and possibly nerfing the health on bulbs/bees in t6.

studyguy

Petrify not being an instawipe will eliminate like 90% of the fun in T7.
What am I supposed to do now when static members are being dicks?

sublimit

Banned
Guys please help a level 13 Gladiator noob.
I'm playing the PS4 version and i'm having serious trouble switching between targets during Fate events when multiple enemies and PCs appear.And since my role is supposed to be a tank i'm terrified to join a party in case i mess up.I've tried playing with the targeting settings from the main menu but i still can't seem to make the targeting work properly.And honestly i find it a bit confusing to imagine how the various options will work in a battle with a group of enemies and other players.
I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me with some proper targeting settings.

My current settings are like this (i'm mentioning the options that i've enabled):

Target Settings
-Automatically face target when using action
-Enable auto-target when no target specified

Ground Settings (Controller Mode)
-Target Ring Unlocked (R1 + L to move)
-Cursor Speed (when Unlocked) 50

Click Filter Target (Enemies)
-All enemies
-Duty Specific Enemies
-Aggroing Enemies

Please tell me if you need to ask anything else about my current settings...

WolvenOne

I'd be amazed if echo didn't get added right off the bat with a 5-10% buff. Any raiders that haven't killed t9 after 6 months are only going to care about just going in and getting it done so they can see the new content, the few that are actually going to be salty about it, would be salty even if it was a year later with any nerfs(and they are a minority in this case, just has they always are in mmos).

Pls no.

Look, I know of several groups right off hand that are right in the middle of learning that fight, and I know of several more players without groups whom have made some progress, but can't get in regularly because of the lockout or lack of group.

Give these players at least a few weeks to salvage thier dignity and get through the fight without echo.

I might add, in both cases, no lockout will help both parties.

iammeiam

I'm playing the PS4 version and i'm having serious trouble switching between targets during Fate events when multiple enemies and PCs appear.And since my role is supposed to be a tank i'm terrified to join a party in case i mess up.I've tried playing with the targeting settings from the main menu but i still can't seem to make the targeting work properly.And honestly i find it a bit confusing to imagine how the various options will work in a battle with a group of enemies and other players.
I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me with some proper targeting settings.

Targeting with controller in this game can be a challenge--it doesn't prioritize closeness at all, just cycles left/right through on-screen objects. You kind of have to learn to manipulate the camera to make it easier to target the right thing when there's a ton of stuff on-screen.

The biggest help for me was setting it so my target filter flipped to Enemies (and I think my enemies filter includes interact able objects, if that's an option, I don't remember. I just know I can still target stuff) whenever I unsheathed my weapon, then flip back to All when weapon is sheathed. That might help you, if you haven't already done it, but targeting in this game does take some adjustment.

Pls no.

Look, I know of several groups right off hand that are right in the middle of learning that fight, and I know of several more players without groups whom have made some progress, but can't get in regularly because of the lockout or lack of group.

Give these players at least a few weeks to salvage thier dignity and get through the fight without echo.

This is how WoW has done nerfs for years and even when a nerf is announced 8-9 months after said content has come out, there are still people who complain that it was too soon or they were still working on it. I understand not everyone is hardcore or has the time to commit to raiding on a regular basis, but it's been 6 months at this point, the time for putting too much thought into getting it before the nerf has passed. These same people who want to get it before the nerf and end up not getting it and thinking a few more weeks without a nerf would have done it, are the same people who are going to want to go into the new content right off the bat and won't care about the old.

My group hasn't even downed t9 yet and that's largely in part due to issues I've been having. As much as even I want to see it down before any nerfs, at this point I don't even care if we get it with or without, I just want to get it so we can can see something new other than what we've all been seeing for the past half a year.

plake

You'll get it. Don't worry. Follow iammeiams pointers and practice practice practice. You just have to learn it, but with the enemy filter he/she mentioned it's a lot easier.

Also, you mentioned Fate events. It's near impossible to control all enemies there, especially when you're new. So don't worry about that. Focus on learning to target in a dungeon/guildhest and you'll be alright with more experience.

Ninja edit: One good thing for targeting in dungeons is using L1+up/down on the dpad. It will cycle between the enemies in the enmity list (the list on your left). It's quite useful. But remember it will only target the enemies you have enmity on, so make sure to pay attention to your surroundings as other enemies might be nearby - which you'll have to target manually, using left/right on the dpad.

studyguy

Pretty sure I gave up dignity around the time I dropped for a couple thousand crysta at launch for 1.0 and didn't actually get to use them till a year later.

Talaysen

Pls no.

Click off echo. Problem solved.

try to find 7 jolly people that want to click off echo with you. good luck.

Seem to remember this discussion taking place before 2.2 also and how there were some that said they would turn off echo and hold back their group just so they could feel special and say they did a boss without them having a buff......wonder who one of them was. To save the next few pages of trying to make sense of such a thing or give it meaning, going to go ahead and say what was said before 2.2 by most people.

No one cares at this point if you do a boss with or without echo, the only thing that matters is who gets kills first when that patch hits.

So I'm gearing out my WAR but I'm wondering should I go for my weapon first or upgrade my gear? Using an Allagan Battleaxe right now.

weapon if you can. You'll need it to keep aggro and it will up your vit more than the chest or pants. assuming all gear is even. The stats that matter most for tanks are dependant on what is causing you to wipe. Aggro loss or death to big hits.

If it is the prior, are you missing? If so get acc, which Conq has a lot of
Are you hitting but not doing enough? This is gonna be all your left side gear but mainly weapon. Aka conq/upg relic

Dying to big hits? Get more vit....which means upgrade everything but 110 wpn has 49 vit vs 46 on pants/chest....so weapon

9c0.jpg

Good lord the Korean launch...

whew.png

Qvoth

Turn 6: Vines are easier to break

they're quite easy to break actually, if we're doing a nerf then it should be damage nerf imo
1 trick i use for vines is to wait for the person you're chained onto to start running 1st, so you can go run on the opposite direction for almost instant break

i wonder if savage scob will get echo buffs on 2.4, then we won't have to spend money on melds :p
only want avatar title tbh

klee123

I hope they do nerf coil 2 to the ground.

Trying to pug T6 and T7 for the last 2 months and I've been struggling.

Couldn't get a Coil static going, as everyone had different schedules.

Practice parties are usually rare and usually involves 30 minutes of wipes before a few people give up and quit.

Clear parties pretty much kick me for making the smallest mistake.

It really fucking sucks for people who can only play for a few days a week.

BadRNG

weapon if you can. You'll need it to keep aggro and it will up your vit more than the chest or pants. assuming all gear is even. The stats that matter most for tanks are dependant on what is causing you to wipe. Aggro loss or death to big hits.

If it is the prior, are you missing? If so get acc, which Conq has a lot of
Are you hitting but not doing enough? This is gonna be all your left side gear but mainly weapon. Aka conq/upg relic

Dying to big hits? Get more vit....which means upgrade everything but 110 wpn has 49 vit vs 46 on pants/chest....so weapon
You're looking at the base vit rather than how much vit you actually gain. For example if he is using Allagan Battleaxe(39v) and Heavy Allagan(33) armor, then going to weathered noct chest(39v) first would offer more total vit over going to weathered conqueror(42). Unweathered versions offer similar total vit gains, with Noct having 3 more there too using same current equipment. Chest piece is also cheaper than a weapon by about 400 tomes, which can be used to upgrade another piece for an even bigger total gain. So in terms of overall upgrading effeciency, chest is a clear winner over weapon for tanks.

Weapon is generally low on priority list to upgrade for tanks, unless you are really bad you tend to have a 20-30ilevel cushion on your weapon before keeping aggro becomes a serious issue. So it becomes just a question of what gives most survivability/vit for total tome cost, in which case again chest wins.

WolvenOne

I hope they do nerf coil 2 to the ground.

Trying to pug T6 and T7 for the last 2 months and I've been struggling.

I would just assume 6 and 7 get a fairly noticeable nerf, with 8 and 9 being comparatively subtle.

I just don't have much patience for seven anymore, so if I'm pugging it and we wipe a few times, it's a struggle not to check out so to speak.

That, and groups that have only more recently started, need to get caught up.

klee123

I would just assume 6 and 7 get a fairly noticeable nerf, with 8 and 9 being comparatively subtle.

I just don't have much patience for seven anymore, so if I'm pugging it and we wipe a few times, it's a struggle not to check out so to speak.

That, and groups that have only more recently started, need to get caught up.

It's a vicious cycle where if you don't catch up and find a good static, you'll forever be behind.

I hardly consider pugging to be a good alternative, since they usually cater for the 2 opposite extremes in terms of skill and knowledge of the fight and for T6 and T7, I'm somewhere along in the middle.

I'm playing the PS4 version and i'm having serious trouble switching between targets during Fate events when multiple enemies and PCs appear.And since my role is supposed to be a tank i'm terrified to join a party in case i mess up.I've tried playing with the targeting settings from the main menu but i still can't seem to make the targeting work properly.And honestly i find it a bit confusing to imagine how the various options will work in a battle with a group of enemies and other players

Honestly, just stop, relax and take it slow if everything gets too hectic. It only takes a second or two to cycle through even a really large mob once you've got the hang of it, your party's not gonna die. Look at the enemy life bar at the top of the screen if things get too confusing, you'll see the name of what you have highlighted. And make sure you hit the x button again to confirm once you've highlighted, and move the arrow on top of that enemy before you start attacking it.

WolvenOne

It's a vicious cycle where if you don't catch up and find a good static, you'll forever be behind.

I hardly consider pugging to be a good alternative, since they usually cater for the 2 opposite extremes in terms of skill and knowledge of the fight and for T6 and T7, I'm somewhere along in the middle.

Well there's 6-7 months between new hard-scale raid content, so there's a decent chunk of time to get, "reasonably," caught up.

Really, there's no reason why somebody who hasn't currently downed T5, couldn't be farming the final turn of Coil 3-4 months from now. If you get into a decently motivated group that can keep a schedule, that's should be plenty of time.

Motivation, the ability to keep a schedule, and the ability to avoid drama, are the three most significant factors towards a groups success.

Honestly, just stop, relax and take it slow if everything gets too hectic. It only takes a second or two to cycle through even a really large mob once you've got the hang of it, your party's not gonna die. Look at the enemy life bar at the top of the screen if things get too confusing, you'll see the name of what you have highlighted. And make sure you hit the x button again to confirm once you've highlighted, and move the arrow on top of that enemy before you start attacking it.

If he's low and having issues in FATEs, chances are it's people farming atmas 1-2shotting mobs. I know when I do FATEs in say Western Than on my BLM, I kill every mob in 2 blizzard, and some FATEs I kill them in one Fire, so unless you're tagging the mobs fast, you're not gonna hit a whole lot. When I see new adventurers and stuff though I'll generally slow down, try to finish the mobs they tag rather than tag the mobs or if I tag I'll leave them alive and change target so they can finish them and get credit. A lot of people don't and Bard/Black Mage really destroy low level FATEs at stupid pace if you're not using a mouse for targetting.

Not as much of an issue as you go up in the levels, it's mostly middle/lower la noscea, western/central than and north/central shroud(the lower level parts) that have this happening.

phierce

If any of you, who can't find a static, play a DRG, with high DPS output, and can raid T,W and TH at 5:45 AM pacific time...oh, and you'll have to transfer, let me know.

We need a replacement for the long haul (2.4+).

Thanks!

Yes...crazy, but possibly serious lol

Ken

If any of you, who can't find a static, play a DRG, with high DPS output, and can raid T,W and TH at 5:45 AM pacific time...oh, and you'll have to transfer, let me know.

We need a replacement for the long haul (2.4+).

Thanks!

Yes...crazy, but possibly serious lol

PST WolvenOne

sitting at 2k soldiery and i dont know what to do with it. most of the astrum set doesnt work well with what i have on my DRG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom