• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohar

Semper88

Speaking for myself, probably not very likely. Made some progress today, but I'll need to get a bit more work before I can walk into a group and confidently state that I can make it to Heavens-fall. (My transition to the second Golems needs some work, and my transition to Heavens Fall needs a lot more.)

Still, hopefully I'll get some good progress in during the next few weeks, so I can hit those T9 practice groups that pop up the day 2.4 hits.

I expected T9 to be a pain in the ass for months, reality is we done three 2 hour try's on 9 and we progressed till the last phase on regular basis. Tho it might help that 3 in our group already been in before (noone downed it yet).

One shotted 6-7 yesterday, wiped at T8 on 4%... lawl then our healer had to leave due urgent RL stuff.

tomorrow.. its 8 and 9 time!

Nohar

So, apparently, a player (ToffeeCoffee) complaining about the bots on the official forums was banned (according to Goomy, an other user who apparently lives with him/her), despite following the rules of not giving the names of the bots or personal information about them. Goomy explained that, but he/she censored him/herself quickly after posting his/her message (didn't think of taking a screenshot).

It is difficult right now to check if the user was really banned (for all I know, it could be an hoax, so I'll refrain from focusing on that self-contained drama), but all of this begs the question of the RMT and bots presence in FFXIV now, what the GMs and the task force are doing to stop them, and if they actually want to stop them. One would indeed wonder what will happen if there was no more RMT/bots, especially when it comes to the shard market, which prices would probably skyrocket without the stocks gathered by RMT/bots (let's be honest: no one likes or wants to farm thousand of shards for hours, it is a long and tedious process).

Now, I'm not trying to justify their presence. On the contrary, FFXIV would be a better place without them. However, we have dozens of examples of RMT/bots (or people who at least leave no reasonable doubts about being RMT/bots) which are never banned, and one can only /blacklist up to 200 of them.
Square-Enix could be harsher towards bots and take action sooner, but they are a lot of them after all, and they re-create accounts rather quickly (there is no excuse though for letting high-leveled bots continuing to bot in impunity). I honestly think that the staff may be overhelmed by the number of cases.
What would be the possibles solutions? Even if SE made some modifications to the game in order to make some items easier to gather (frankly, I wouldn't mind each node giving 2 shards instead of 1, these burn fast), there is no doubt that the RMT/bots would focus on a different market.

In short: what do you think about the RMT/bot situation in FFXIV, and what do you expect the team to do about it?

Kenai

hypehypehype

I have so many f*cking worthless (atm) fish cluttering p my retainer that are going absolutely nowhere because they were such a huge pain in the ass. Some of them i fished on and off for days or longer due to abysmal hook rates that don't even desynth into anything that matters (f*ck you Charon's Lantern, Aetherlouse, Vip Viper, Dawn Maiden, Cupfish and all your filthy kin). Would be uber pissed to get rid of them just to need to catch them again.

Fishing needs more love than probably any job in the game but not even having rewards like titles or actual uses for these time consuming bastardfish is pretty depressing. And I still do it anyway, cause it totally is funding like 2/3rds of my M house plot. (~_~) So many ppl running around in coeurl panties on ultros and I will make even more.

sublimit

Banned
Targeting with controller in this game can be a challenge--it doesn't prioritize closeness at all, just cycles left/right through on-screen objects. You kind of have to learn to manipulate the camera to make it easier to target the right thing when there's a ton of stuff on-screen.

The biggest help for me was setting it so my target filter flipped to Enemies (and I think my enemies filter includes interact able objects, if that's an option, I don't remember. I just know I can still target stuff) whenever I unsheathed my weapon, then flip back to All when weapon is sheathed. That might help you, if you haven't already done it, but targeting in this game does take some adjustment.

You'll get it. Don't worry. Follow iammeiams pointers and practice practice practice. You just have to learn it, but with the enemy filter he/she mentioned it's a lot easier.

Also, you mentioned Fate events. It's near impossible to control all enemies there, especially when you're new. So don't worry about that. Focus on learning to target in a dungeon/guildhest and you'll be alright with more experience.

Ninja edit: One good thing for targeting in dungeons is using L1+up/down on the dpad. It will cycle between the enemies in the enmity list (the list on your left). It's quite useful. But remember it will only target the enemies you have enmity on, so make sure to pay attention to your surroundings as other enemies might be nearby - which you'll have to target manually, using left/right on the dpad.

Honestly, just stop, relax and take it slow if everything gets too hectic. It only takes a second or two to cycle through even a really large mob once you've got the hang of it, your party's not gonna die. Look at the enemy life bar at the top of the screen if things get too confusing, you'll see the name of what you have highlighted. And make sure you hit the x button again to confirm once you've highlighted, and move the arrow on top of that enemy before you start attacking it.

Thanks a lot for the info and advise guys! I'll experiment and practise some more,hopefully i'll get it eventually. :)

Ken

Myth were capped at 300, Philo were always uncapped. Unless this predates ARR.

oh wait, you're right. i dont even remember what philo tomes were used for. :/

get out of here philo tomes no one likes you

oh yeah it was for that darklight stuff wasn't it?

dcye

Darklight gear was bought with Philo's, as well as Animal Fat/Coke/Peacock Ore etc.

EDIT: Also, Radz-ul-blahblahblah oil.

Tiops

So, I tried T6 recently with a static that I already quit :p

We couldn't regularly get to third phase, because someone died every fucking time to Blighted Bouquet or briar patches.

I'm a Paladin, and the DPS kept complaining about the boss positioning, because of the patches. Most of the time, the center bulb didn't die fast enough and we had to pull the boss to the edge of the arena, but other bulbs grew there too and we die.

My question is: is there anything tanks can do when the bulb isn't killed? Was it really poor positioning from the tanks (they were complaining about both tanks)? I need to know this so I can work in it with my current group.

I quit because it was getting stressful and they wanted to raid 4 days every week, and I don't have this much free time.

dcye

If they're this far along in a gear cycle and can't kill a bulb fast enough then it's a DPS problem. Rafflesia in normal mode T6 shouldn't be moved from the middle until the last phase of the fight. Even then you don't really have to if you don't want to.

Ken

you take it to an empty spot :x

Even then you don't really have to if you don't want to.

that's true too. even if it expands once or twice you should be fine just sitting there because raff's hitbox is so large. if it's max size though then you might want to move out to left or right of it.

Iskander

Neo Member
Huh, my account got suspended due to "suspicious activity" and I can't remember the fake birth date I used for my account (don't even remember setting one, honestly). Welp. :(

Tiops

One of the problems I had when trying to take it to empty spots was that the only safe place was right where the party was standing. So if I moved there, people got cleaved in the face while I moved D:

And sometimes at least one of the members didn't notice that I moved and stayed by my side (and died, of course).

aceface

One of the problems I had when trying to take it to empty spots was that the only safe place was right where the party was standing. So if I moved there, people got cleaved in the face while I moved D:

And sometimes at least one of the members didn't notice that I moved and stayed by my side (and died, of course).

Keep it in the center, they just gotta kill that middle bulb quick. Have someone call out "bulb" on mumble or spam a macro if one spawns in the center so they can focus on it.

Keep it in the center, they just gotta kill that middle bulb quick. Have someone call out "bulb" on mumble or spam a macro if one spawns in the center so they can focus on it.

Another bulb tip: when the bulbs spawn, quickly scan the minimap and see how many dots there are around the arena. Two dots = middle bulb under Rafflesia.

Drac

We keep it in the middle, and depending of where the bulbs grew on the outer circle, our tanks rotate the boss left or right, calling it on TS (them moving to their right will also make us move to our right, so no error possible), and voilà. This give us more room to handle the chains.
Can't help if the dps don't switch fast enaugh on the bulb in the center, it can be hard to see because of Rafflezia. It just takes some times to get used to I guess.

iammeiam

Fishing needs more love than probably any job in the game but not even having rewards like titles or actual uses for these time consuming bastardfish is pretty depressing. And I still do it anyway, cause it totally is funding like 2/3rds of my M house plot. (~_~) So many ppl running around in coeurl panties on ultros and I will make even more.

The choices they've made with fishing are weird--you'd think they'd at least have some of the trickier fish reliably desynth into useful mats. The effort to reward ratio would still be out of line with other gathering professions, but at least there'd be a point.

Semper88

So, I tried T6 recently with a static that I already quit :p

We couldn't regularly get to third phase, because someone died every fucking time to Blighted Bouquet or briar patches.

I'm a Paladin, and the DPS kept complaining about the boss positioning, because of the patches. Most of the time, the center bulb didn't die fast enough and we had to pull the boss to the edge of the arena, but other bulbs grew there too and we die.

My question is: is there anything tanks can do when the bulb isn't killed? Was it really poor positioning from the tanks (they were complaining about both tanks)? I need to know this so I can work in it with my current group.

I quit because it was getting stressful and they wanted to raid 4 days every week, and I don't have this much free time.

Tell your DPS to man up and do their job and pump out some propper DPS.

What might help is to mark it asap with a 1 when it drops in the middle.

You can always help, thats why i do but in most cases it goes down really fast and i can't even get a second hit in.

Tiops

Thanks for the explanation, guys :)

Me and the other tank got mad with the group because everything was our fault according to the DPS, it's nice to know that wasn't the case. I'll try to rotate and communicate more next time, though.

dark_chris

If you guys need help, I actually created a video with my static on how we did T6-8. We basically one shot with our methods.

T6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLxqxmFplY

T7 (note, i know it probably won't help much cause of the camera angle. Sorry!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHzlds-LpvQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=251

T8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v62nriZasPU

The best advice i can give is to have competent people who are on their A game, communication is pretty much key, know when and how to move. T7 is more stressful cause one person's mistake could wipe the party.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So, apparently, a player (ToffeeCoffee) complaining about the bots on the official forums was banned (according to Goomy, an other user who apparently lives with him/her), despite following the rules of not giving the names of the bots or personal information about them. Goomy explained that, but he/she censored him/herself quickly after posting his/her message (didn't think of taking a screenshot).

It is difficult right now to check if the user was really banned (for all I know, it could be an hoax, so I'll refrain from focusing on that self-contained drama), but all of this begs the question of the RMT and bots presence in FFXIV now, what the GMs and the task force are doing to stop them, and if they actually want to stop them. One would indeed wonder what will happen if there was no more RMT/bots, especially when it comes to the shard market, which prices would probably skyrocket without the stocks gathered by RMT/bots (let's be honest: no one likes or wants to farm thousand of shards for hours, it is a long and tedious process).

Now, I'm not trying to justify their presence. On the contrary, FFXIV would be a better place without them. However, we have dozens of examples of RMT/bots (or people who at least leave no reasonable doubts about being RMT/bots) which are never banned, and one can only /blacklist up to 200 of them.
Square-Enix could be harsher towards bots and take action sooner, but they are a lot of them after all, and they re-create accounts rather quickly (there is no excuse though for letting high-leveled bots continuing to bot in impunity). I honestly think that the staff may be overhelmed by the number of cases.
What would be the possibles solutions? Even if SE made some modifications to the game in order to make some items easier to gather (frankly, I wouldn't mind each node giving 2 shards instead of 1, these burn fast), there is no doubt that the RMT/bots would focus on a different market.

In short: what do you think about the RMT/bot situation in FFXIV, and what do you expect the team to do about it?

"staff"

Do the western GM's even have the power to fully ban someone?

iammeiam

T7 crushes souls and destroys dreams, despite being mechanically straightforward. There aren't really that many things going on, and the mechanics for handling a lot of it is pretty simple (stand behind this thing, don't look at the party, don't stand in goo, don't look at the boss) but it combines to just be... Ugh.

I don't know if it's brilliant or terrible encounter design, because it's always pretty obvious what went wrong (which is a theoretical good because you can learn from it) but it's crazy unforgiving.

"staff"

Do the western GM's even have the power to fully ban someone?

Why wouldn't they? They're still most likely understaffed and the botting problem isn't really something you fix by just banning people based on reports alone. They also do ban waves to make it more annoying for the farmers/take out bigger parts of the bots at once, if you ban one by one, it's easy to keep recreating stuff while keeping a steady income flow, plus you can start moving ressources between accounts as soon as some bans pop/change strategy. All in all though they seem pretty lazy/slow about it, but I rarely see it as being an issue directly to the player, the gold seller spam is a lot more annoying then having a bunch of bots kill mobs that no one needs for anything anyway.

As for ToffeeCoffee ban, not sure, forums were always a pretty stupid place though in terms of bans. I assume they took offense of him openly criticizing the GM work or whatever and filed that under revealing GM communication reports which I assume like most other mmo is confidential which is ground for a ban, or something. Could be banned for another post too, too lazy to check post history.

I'd say the situation is pretty alright overall with bots. They're there, you notice them sometimes, but they're still kinda scarce and they're not killing the economy or ruining people's games. Even the gold seller spam, while annoying as hell especially the friend invites one, is kinda low. Hope they remove the friend invite shit and make the filter better, but doesn't seem too much different than wow otherwise. Wow still has a ton of bots and it's not for a lack of GM power or funds.

Caja 117

Hello GAF, I just bought this game, and While i will start reading links in the OP, I want to ask for some quick tips. bare in mind I have never played an MMO before, but Im quite the veteran when it comes to RPGs and Final Fantasy, Im already at level 5, and I have already got used to the bassic combat controls.

WolvenOne

T7 crushes souls and destroys dreams, despite being mechanically straightforward. There aren't really that many things going on, and the mechanics for handling a lot of it is pretty simple (stand behind this thing, don't look at the party, don't stand in goo, don't look at the boss) but it combines to just be... Ugh.

I don't know if it's brilliant or terrible encounter design, because it's always pretty obvious what went wrong (which is a theoretical good because you can learn from it) but it's crazy unforgiving.

Yeah, extremely unforgiving. The mechanics, while simple, really do heavily depend on everyone being on the same page, and being aware of how your team-mates tend to move. If the fight were just one ounce more recoverable, I'd say it's be a great design, but since it isn't, it just makes it tiring.

Hello GAF, I just bought this game, and While i will start reading links in the OP, I want to ask for some quick tips. bare in mind I have never played an MMO before, but Im quite the veteran when it comes to RPGs and Final Fantasy, Im already at level 5, and I have already got used to the bassic combat controls.

Do your story quests(the flame icon quests), they unlock most features in the games and guide you through the leveling process and stuff.

Don't waste gold buying gear on the market board besides maybe weapons and even then you should find a crafter and buy materials instead since it's a ton cheaper.

Do read the tutorial tips things, they tend to explain the basic stuff fairly well and only take a few seconds to read. Also read your skills tooltips and use common sense to determine what is good and what is not.

Use the wiki/reddit/google or ask questions in whatever FC you decide to join.

Make sure you unlock Aetherytes(the big crystals) whenever you reach a new one, as well as chocobo paths(not that useful but decent to save money early on). You do this by clicking the aetheryte and talking with the chocobo NPC. Not every town has either of them, but they appear on the map when they do.

Caja 117

Do your story quests(the flame icon quests), they unlock most features in the games and guide you through the leveling process and stuff.

Don't waste gold buying gear on the market board besides maybe weapons and even then you should find a crafter and buy materials instead since it's a ton cheaper.

Do read the tutorial tips things, they tend to explain the basic stuff fairly well and only take a few seconds to read. Also read your skills tooltips and use common sense to determine what is good and what is not.

Use the wiki/reddit/google or ask questions in whatever FC you decide to join.

Make sure you unlock Aetherytes(the big crystals) whenever you reach a new one, as well as chocobo paths(not that useful but decent to save money early on). You do this by clicking the aetheryte and talking with the chocobo NPC. Not every town has either of them, but they appear on the map when they do.

Thanks, I started as a Gladiator, and after that it gave me like an option to select something that had to do with elements(?) Not usre how much this will impact the game.

Is there any class that can combine Melee with a litle bit of Magic attacks?

Thanks, I started as a Gladiator, and after that it gave me like an option to select something that had to do with elements(?) Not usre how much this will impact the game.

Is there any class that can combine Melee with a litle bit of Magic attacks?

If you mean the character creation stuff, most of it doesn't matter, race is cosmetic, divinity is mostly cosmetic(there's some resist stuff but it's such a small amount it's irrelevant) and so on.

As for melee+magic, not really. The current melee classes are fairly melee centric. Gladiator eventually becomes Paladin, which gets access to Cure/Stoneskin/Protect but you don't use these very often and are still mostly a tank. Monk gets well punchy stuff, Dragoons jump around and poke stuff with their sticks and Warriors slice stuff with their 2H greataxe.

Next patch, which happens in a few weeks(supposedly before the end of october) will introduce Ninja though. Ninja will have obviously poke poke with stabby daggers stuff but also Ninjutsu "magic" type moves.

Also of note, Gladiator(and Marauder) are tank classes. In mmos, most of them follow the trinity tank/healer/DPS, where the tank gets all the mobs on them and mitigate damage well but doesn't do much damage, healer keeps tank and DPS alive and DPS well kill stuff. You picked a tank so you'll be expected to well, tank stuff. If you want to kill stuff, you might want to consider playing a DPS class instead(Lancer and Pugilist are the melee DPS ones). At level 10, after doing your class quest at the Gladiator trainer, you'll be able to change classes to something else if you want to. You can level every class on a single character so no need to reroll.

Caja 117

If you mean the character creation stuff, most of it doesn't matter, race is cosmetic, divinity is mostly cosmetic(there's some resist stuff but it's such a small amount it's irrelevant) and so on.

As for melee+magic, not really. The current melee classes are fairly melee centric. Gladiator eventually becomes Paladin, which gets access to Cure/Stoneskin/Protect but you don't use these very often and are still mostly a tank. Monk gets well punchy stuff, Dragoons jump around and poke stuff with their sticks and Warriors slice stuff with their 2H greataxe.

Next patch, which happens in a few weeks(supposedly before the end of october) will introduce Ninja though. Ninja will have obviously poke poke with stabby daggers stuff but also Ninjutsu "magic" type moves.

Also of note, Gladiator(and Marauder) are tank classes. In mmos, most of them follow the trinity tank/healer/DPS, where the tank gets all the mobs on them and mitigate damage well but doesn't do much damage, healer keeps tank and DPS alive and DPS well kill stuff. You picked a tank so you'll be expected to well, tank stuff. If you want to kill stuff, you might want to consider playing a DPS class instead(Lancer and Pugilist are the melee DPS ones). At level 10, after doing your class quest at the Gladiator trainer, you'll be able to change classes to something else if you want to. You can level every class on a single character so no need to reroll.

So you recomend me to start over with a DPS? (what does DPS stands for anyway?) or just wait until I can do the change in game?

WolvenOne

You know what, it's a huge shame that you can't give something akin to guest access to your garden to other players in the game. Just realized that my garden would be sitting around un-used for nearly a week while I'm at fan fest.

Huge waste. :p XD

IMBored

T7 is so soul crushing because everyone can know it 100% but on mistake or rng can stone everything, and staggering dps is often needed.

T6 is actually pretty easy in comparison. The problem I faced last night was actually too much dps making LB2 not be up in time for slugs.

You know what, it's a huge shame that you can't give something akin to guest access to your garden to other players in the game. Just realized that my garden would be sitting around un-used for nearly a week while I'm at fan fest.

Huge waste. :p XD

Just leave some long duration seeds growing and ask someone to tend it for you. Anyone can tend, and I think maybe fertilize, the garden.

So you recomend me to start over with a DPS? (what does DPS stands for anyway?) or just wait until I can do the change in game?

DPS stands for Damage per second, but also refers to damage classes. In typical RPG, rogues, archers, mages and so on. They're generally easier to play, but it also depends on what you want to do. The tank tends to be the "leader" of the group, he sets the pace by pulling monsters and his death quite often results in a wipe(everyone else dies when the mobs start running around after a tank death). And as I said, no need to reroll in this game, just stay with Gladiator until 10 then you can change class to whatever you want back and forth at no cost, besides being out of combat.

WolvenOne

T7 is so soul crushing because everyone can know it 100% but on mistake or rng can stone everything, and staggering dps is often needed.

Yep, worse yet, the "soul crushing-ness," of T7, makes it difficult not to emotionally and mentally check out after so many wipes, especially this late into the patch cycle. This is why most pugs seem to do best on their first few attempts.

Just leave some long duration seeds growing and ask someone to tend it for you. Anyone can tend, and I think maybe fertilize, the garden.

What seeds are, "Long Duration," exactly?

studyguy

Get some nice screenshots?

I'm at work, atm.
The short of it was that during 1.0, they wouldn't ban anyone, RMT aside obviously. You could get away with being a total fucking asshole ingame and they still wouldn't do anything to boot you aside from lock you up in prison with a GM. ARR though, an FC mate who I had run with since beta was booted almost immediately when CT dropped for calling everyone in his runs penis heads... over and over. RIP Gol, you were a beautiful Australian man.

IMBored

What seeds are, "Long Duration," exactly?

Thav onions are like, 11-12 days I think. Many of the higher grades take more than 5 days, including kraka roots and choco dyes ones. Just check with the garden encyclopedia, dramasaur sempai. Or I think there's a gardening website somewhere.

Btw, by long duration, I meant take a lot time to be ready for harvest.

Jayhawk

So the hotfix that will give us our metallic gold dyes will be done overnight. If anybody is willing to spare their metallic gold dyes, I would like to trade you some gear to use the dyes on and then trade the gear back to me. Please and thank you.

Caja 117

DPS stands for Damage per second, but also refers to damage classes. In typical RPG, rogues, archers, mages and so on. They're generally easier to play, but it also depends on what you want to do. The tank tends to be the "leader" of the group, he sets the pace by pulling monsters and his death quite often results in a wipe(everyone else dies when the mobs start running around after a tank death). And as I said, no need to reroll in this game, just stay with Gladiator until 10 then you can change class to whatever you want back and forth at no cost, besides being out of combat.

Thank you, I will do that, the Ninja Class seems interesting. but I will see how I fare with gladiator for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom