• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Gold dye delayed?!? How will I ever finish off my newest glamour now?

7GaHez5.jpg

Courtesy Reddit.

I think GAF can do better, hype trains are our specialty.

Also yep those are definitely jump platforms in one of those new coil pics.

No ninja jumped on that giant head to stab it? 2/10 for plausibility, 5/10 pic.

BadRNG

We're Final Fantasy characters. 'Realistic depictions of battle' flew out the window a long time ago, especially against a character who has been a boss since at least FF3.
You can still have in-universe realism. There's a line for willing suspension of disbelief. And while it's been awhile since I've played a few of the older FF, I can't remember any depiction of Bahamut where he is the size he is in this game, or of comparative (in universe) power. It's like facing a smarter/faster Sin without any keys to beat it.

7GaHez5.jpg

Courtesy Reddit.
The duty finder window is best part.

Sorian

Banned
Official Third Coil preview thing, wowitsfuckingnothing.gif.

Hope all you endgame people have your ??? ILvl gear ready.

They're running out of things to preview. Patch is going to be next week, isn't it? RIP chance of blind runs.

It's not that they are running out of things to preview. It's that they want to save the meat for the live letter in vegas. I still doubt it'll be next week because I don't think they want to release a major content pack sandwiched between two fan festivals.

8 man NIN coil runs coming.

I have the inside scoop on the 3 stances Ninjas can be in. There is Tank no Jutsu, DPS no Jutsu, and Healer no Jutsu.

Edit: let's just say I have the inside info because my dad works at the final fantasy.

iammeiam

It's not that they are running out of things to preview. It's that they want to save the meat for the live letter in vegas. I still doubt it'll be next week because I don't think they want to release a major content pack sandwiched between two fan festivals.

Oh I know the lack of content in the previews is to keep Fanfest special, but I think this is the last big 2.4 thing left. They've hit Shiva, the dungeons, rogue/ninja, Hildebrand, and now Coil. I don't know what's left for them to tell us nothing about, unless they're just going to take a week off previews.

studyguy

NIN is going to be the next DRG.
Calling it now. Can't wait to see NINs eating fireballs, cleaves, and other AoEs

Also yes, someone step it up, that image can be improved. It needs Tanaka's shadow in the background.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
There has never been an item level requirement on active Coil though.
However, what's that about 120 minutes?
Is it a consistent one-piece raid?
That'd be something.

BadRNG

Anyone notice the time limit there? 30 extra minutes than normal. Third coil confirmed to have respawning trash gauntlet after every wipe on a boss and 20 minute t12 fight with 32 different phases. Following the incredibly successful t9 dive bombs2: dive harder, SE will give us Dive bombs 3: with a vengeance.

Oh I know the lack of content in the previews is to keep Fanfest special, but I think this is the last big 2.4 thing left. They've hit Shiva, the dungeons, rogue/ninja, Hildebrand, and now Coil. I don't know what's left for them to tell us nothing about, unless they're just going to take a week off previews.
Nah guys, 2.4 will come first week of November to coincide with the end of Naruto. Believe it.

studyguy

There has never been an item level requirement on active Coil though.
However, what's that about 120 minutes?
Is it a consistent one-piece raid?
That'd be something.

Maybe, I'd be a little annoyed if it was a single stupidly long instance. I got enough of that in XI.

Valor

Anyone notice the time limit there? 30 extra minutes than normal. Third coil confirmed to have respawning trash gauntlet after every wipe on a boss and 20 minute t12 fight with 32 different phases. Following the incredibly successful t9 dive bombs2: dive harder, SE will give us Dive bombs 3: with a vengeance.
Can I just wait for the Dive Bomb reboot instead? I don't like the direction they're taking with the Dive Bomb franchise.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
T9 doesn't actually contain an attack called "Divebomb".

Maybe, I'd be a little annoyed if it was a single stupidly long instance. I got enough of that in XI.

Perhaps it's like Crystal Tower except you can leave and peruse your previous shortcut?
But then how would the timer react? Or can you just enter it once a week and when 120 minutes run out that's it? That'd be amazing
ly awful

Sorian

Banned
Perhaps it's like Crystal Tower except you can leave and peruse your previous shortcut?
But then how would the timer react? Or can you just enter it once a week and when 120 minutes run out that's it? That'd be amazing
ly awful

Timer would just reset when you leave and come in. Otherwise it would be like any other MMO in the world. I wouldn't hold my breath for one long raid though. They probably just wished up and realized that people practicing a turn run for more than 90 minutes.

iammeiam

Maybe all the turns share a pool of 120 minutes, then you're locked out for the week. if you can't beat the whole thing in two hours you don't deserve Ultramax Allagan Pro Gear++

Titan doesn't do an attack called plumes. This has never stopped anyone from complaining about dying from plumes.

ragevvorks

Neo Member
Dark thought just occurred to me: Since ScoB was cleared what 1-2 weeks after launch - this time around there is an ilvl req of ??? ... what if SE decided to go with something stupid like - you have to grind allagan tokens for at least ??? weeks before being high enough ilvl to enter coil, effectively gating the hardcore raiders who will try to race server/world firsts on the week of release? If so, RIP everyone who takes the week off :3

120 mins probably means nothing though. No single clear has ever taken that long, it's prolly just a QoL so that you have to leave instance fewer times on progression nights (Now that you can repair your own gear to 199% it just seems fitting)

studyguy

Dark thought just occurred to me: Since ScoB was cleared what 1-2 weeks after launch - this time around there is an ilvl req of ??? ... what if SE decided to go with something stupid like - you have to grind allagan tokens for at least ??? weeks before being high enough ilvl to enter coil, effectively gating the hardcore raiders who will try to race server/world firsts on the week of release? If so, RIP everyone who takes the week off :3

120 mins probably means nothing though. No single clear has ever taken that long, it's prolly just a QoL so that you have to leave instance fewer times on progression nights (Now that you can repair your own gear to 199% it just seems fitting)

More likely that they won't let people enter with a sub 100ilvl for instance. I doubt they'd be so aggressive as stopping parties cold from progression.

Anyone want to put down lots for how long third coil takes?

BadRNG

Can I just wait for the Dive Bomb reboot instead? I don't like the direction they're taking with the Dive Bomb franchise.
I don't know, this one could be pretty good, I heard Samuel L Jackson is in it.

ly awful
They could call it "Flying Love Hug" for all I care, it's same thing.

And I wouldn't read into the timer as meaning it's a single instance, the coil2 preview listed a single 90 minute timer but that ended up being for each instance.

Assuming it isn't broken? Maybe a month.

They always show an unknown ilvl requirement in previews and they never actually reveal it until the final patch notes the night of the patch. It being unknown means absolutely nothing since if you've beaten 2nd coil already, there's no chance you won't be able to enter 3rd right off the bat.

Sorian

Banned
More likely that they won't let people enter with a sub 100ilvl for instance. I doubt they'd be so aggressive as stopping parties cold from progression.

I get the feeling this one will have a broken encounter so I'm thinking 3 weeks to a month (enough time for either a crazy group to nail broken mechanics for a hot fix).

ragevvorks

Neo Member
They always show an unknown ilvl requirement in previews and they never actually reveal it until the final patch notes the night of the patch. It being unknown means absolutely nothing since if you've beaten 2nd coil already, there's no chance you won't be able to enter 3rd right off the bat.

Still, looking at the SCoB preview page on the lodestone there hasn't been an ilvl requirement for the raids so far (ilvl req for the first coil was introduced only when it hit DF).

Besides, this being the final installment before the expansion makes me think SE would be likely to pull off some trick like that to artificially extend the time during which the raiders will have something to work for.

Hope I'm wrong though! Looking forward to the final week of Oct.

iammeiam

Those Japanese characters translate to "enrage" the enrage timer is 120 minutes and yes, the fight takes that long.

Final fight is just a boss rush of all previous bosses. Drag Renauds to briar patches to stick them in place while dodging twisters and passing rot to slugs to feed to Twin.

You can still have in-universe realism. There's a line for willing suspension of disbelief. And while it's been awhile since I've played a few of the older FF, I can't remember any depiction of Bahamut where he is the size he is in this game, or of comparative (in universe) power. It's like facing a smarter/faster Sin without any keys to beat it.

The duty finder window is best part.

That time number made me laugh

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Turn 10: Bahamut's Left Wing
Turn 11: Bahamut's Tail
Turn 12: Bahamut's Left Kidney and Loisouix
Turn 13: Bahamut's Pinky
Turn 14:
Jump platform challenge where you have to catch the Wind-up Bahamut

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Looking forward to watching the cutscenes of Final Coil.

On that note, I'm amazed of how poor of a job SE has done with Coil's storyline and its relation to the rest of the game. See, in the game XIV tends to copy (WoW) the raid and its storyline is usually the highpoint of that particular patch/expansion. In XIV, Bahamut's Coil is a side quest. The aftermath of the biggest event in the game is a side quest. It has nothing to do with the actual main campaign of the game. While the campaign does mention characters involved with Coil, our heroes (save one/two) want nothing to do with it. Which is absolutely mind boggling. More of the main cast is involved in freakin' Crystal Tower than with Coil.

Spoilers:

So, let me get this straight. Alisaie is the only one who actively gives a shit about what is going down in these massive parts of Dalamud. Discovers that her Grandfather is very much active in Dalamud, and is now threatening to kill her and resurrect Bahamut...and no one else in Eorzea gives a shit?! Word doesn't reach the other Scions, the city states, Garleans, or anyone else?! How is this not the main story here? Instead, we're running around, fighting weak ass Primals, witnessing how useless the City States actually are and how they let a little Lalafell gain control of another Allegan Weapon (really? The Alliance didn't think to search every single nook and cranny to barricade everything that has to do with Allagan digs after Ultima?). A weapon that the Scions continue to actively ignore after Nanamo spits everything out to Alphi in a plot dump, yet it was never mentioned again.

Actually, laying it all out. I'm surprised anything actually gets done in Eorzea. Nevermind. All these characters wouldn't be able to contribute much in Coil anyway. Carry on. =)

studyguy

Actually, laying it all out. I'm surprised anything actually gets done in Eorzea. Nevermind. All these characters wouldn't be able to contribute much in Coil anyway. Carry on. =)

If it wasn't for the HERO OF LIGHT, most Eorzeans probably wouldn't get their mail in the morning.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Japanese quest to unlock Final Coil is called "The Two Fragments".
I guess it's both Coerthas AND Drybone.
Would that work? Can they do that?

Also I guess Alisaie chose not to tell anyone what transpires in Coil. Don't trust the fate of the world to a teenage girl.
Of course the real reason is that they don't want to force casuals to bother with Coil at all if they so wish.

Taruranto

None of the characters do shit in this game, expect your. Seriously, in FFXI you had Prishe and Lion going around, even taking major bosses with ya.

Can Milfilia even fight?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
None of the characters do shit in this game, expect your. Seriously, in FFXI you had Prishe and Lion going around, even taking major bosses with ya.

Can Milfilia even fight?

Well, they occasionally appear and do things in single-player duties during the story.
Cid rides a Magitek in CM.
...Yeah that's about it.

studyguy

Japanese quest to unlock Final Coil is called "The Two Fragments".
I guess it's both Coerthas AND Drybone.
Would that work? Can they do that?

Also I guess Alisaie chose not to tell anyone what transpires in Coil. Don't trust the fate of the world to a teenage girl.

There's no real timeframe for what's going on.
I mean she told what's his face back in Horizon I'd imagine. Her brother is there in the preview. Looks like she at least told him which means the Scions must know. I dunno, considering how inept the entire population is at handling daily chores I'm surprised the Garleans didn't just roll over the entire country.

Thancred helped you if you started in Ul'dah!
He beats up a level 1 mob... with your help D:

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, fair play, the only other game I can think of where he's close is FFIX. Still, dude's made out of aetheric energy- his size is mutable, and his power has already been constrained once. Fighting an avatar of him isn't completely out of the question, and he is the biggest face of ARR (lord knows no-one else is stepping up to be a main villain, with the empire currently a non-factor and the Ascians content to go back to standing behind people in a sinister manner). I find it hard to believe that Third Coil and the entire 2.0 era's last boss is going to be the one teased at the end of Second Coil considering nobody actually cares about him, but feel free to disappoint me Yoshi!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom