• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Somebody go make Rin do rot. That's shameful. Even I've done rot.

I'm a tank, I never have to learn rot!

the best part will be having to hold DPS on the various mobs at different health percentages and having to remember which phase is pushed at which point.

but there's that one add you do kill but at the right time to dodge the plumes
that will be marked as 1 so nobody is confused

Sorian

Banned
Titan will be standing behind the final boss stomping the ground repeatedly for the whole fight. No plumes or anything, just that foot pound.

studyguy

If we do end up facing Bahamut, it's most likely going to be while he's still being remade since anything else would basically mean us dying instantly. Demon Wall: Super Nerfed Bahamut edition. Also we're fucking tiny by the way. Even if you stab the shit out of him, we fit in the palm of his hands. He probably has farts that are more of a problem than we are.

I can't wait to see that enrage animation destroy us.
I get the feeling we're going to fight something like the SOUL OF BAHAMUT or something to that effect. The actual bahamut is simply too large to be anything other than window dressing to a smaller scale battle we're having. Hopefully it doesn't end up like that GW2 dragon fight, that was oh ho ho so bad.

Shamdeo

I find it hard to believe that Third Coil and the entire 2.0 era's last boss is going to be the one teased at the end of Second Coil considering nobody actually cares about him, but feel free to disappoint me Yoshi!!!!

I could see him being Final Coil's last boss with Big B being a separate encounter they do later on. Giving everyone the satisfaction/closure of killing him and ending the 1.0 arc before the xpac wihout having to do three tiers of Coil. People who do Coil get futher insight into the lore, etc etc.

I think that's ok.

The Coil "story" is a sidequest and its ramifications will likely carry over into the main scenario with or without the WoL's involvement.

BadRNG

Yeah, fair play, the only other game I can think of where he's close is FFIX. Still, dude's made out of aetheric energy- his size is mutable, and his power has already been constrained once. Fighting an avatar of him isn't completely out of the question, and he is the biggest face of ARR (lord knows no-one else is stepping up to be a main villain, with the empire currently a non-factor and the Ascians content to go back to standing behind people in a sinister manner). I find it hard to believe that Third Coil and the entire 2.0 era's last boss is going to be the one teased at the end of Second Coil considering nobody actually cares about him, but feel free to disappoint me Yoshi!!!!
Oh I can definitely see us facing a part of him at the end of this coil, but I can't see him being revived completely and us fighting that like someone said.

Louisoix
makes the most sense to me as the penultimate boss, we fight and
wonder twin's secret is some way to undo tempering or something and we manage to save Louisoix from Bahamut's control, if not permanently then long enough for him to do some heroic sacrifice thing again
....THEN we fight whatever Bahamut can muster, another avatar like Nael but probably even more dragon-y. Maybe an army of ADS show up, crack open, and reveal a bunch of tiny baby Bahamuts that the allagan empire created as part of their freaky deaky coil2 experiments and we fight those.

studyguy

I somewhat agree, Coil is going to end one of two ways:

We take down Bahamut and that's the end of it. Maybe Luisoix too or whatever.

We take down Lu or free him whatever... and Bahamut gets loose. That leads to him showing up in the main storyline as a super underwhelming alliance boss. Everyone is salty that random bikini clad cats and potatoes put down the monster that single handedly blew up most of Eorzea.

Whoops spoilers, honestly I doubt most of the coil storyline will matter at all. It's a lot to suddenly thrust on the general population that probably never once stepped into coil. Most likely its storyline will live and die only experienced by those who bothered to run it.

Sorian

Banned
MMO story lol

I enjoy it but let's not pretend it matters much.

Edit: also, main storyline Hero of Light doesn't have time for Bahamut, they are too busy passing out uniforms.

scy

ESC -> Skip Cutscene? -> Yes.

You have a bard.

With better boots than me.

Shut up and go do rot. Your e-honor is at stake.

;__;

I guess I can try putting together a First Coil group of funtimes and outdated loot. Maybe someone else will get an ADS Frame and we can pretend it was profitable after rot damns our souls.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
MMO story lol

I enjoy it but let's not pretend it matters much.

Edit: also, main storyline Hero of Light doesn't have time for Bahamut, they are too busy passing out uniforms.

Passing out uniforms, repeating FATEs and cooking stew for soldiers is part of Yoshi's deep and meaningful JRPG plot, please don't mock.

Darte

Spoilers:

So, let me get this straight. Alisaie is the only one who actively gives a shit about what is going down in these massive parts of Dalamud. Discovers that her Grandfather is very much active in Dalamud, and is now threatening to kill her and resurrect Bahamut...and no one else in Eorzea gives a shit?! Word doesn't reach the other Scions, the city states, Garleans, or anyone else?! How is this not the main story here? Instead, we're running around, fighting weak ass Primals, witnessing how useless the City States actually are and how they let a little Lalafell gain control of another Allegan Weapon (really? The Alliance didn't think to search every single nook and cranny to barricade everything that has to do with Allagan digs after Ultima?). A weapon that the Scions continue to actively ignore after Nanamo spits everything out to Alphi in a plot dump, yet it was never mentioned again.

Actually, laying it all out. I'm surprised anything actually gets done in Eorzea. Nevermind. All these characters wouldn't be able to contribute much in Coil anyway. Carry on. =)

It isn't that they don't care, they simply don't know and have their hands filled with <insert main or crystal tower storyline here>.
Coil 1 started as an exploration into a "thing", shared only with urianger.
Coil 2 started because of the events revealed in Turn 5.
Coil 3 is a conclusion to the events in Turn 5 + 9

I have a feeling that once the main storyline, Crystal Tower and Coil wraps up, there will be an intersecting point for some kind of finale for 2.0

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
One of those pictures looks like we could end up with stupid platform hopping mechanics like from ST. Please no.

Could be another illusion, or some sort of auto repair system.

I hope not, I want the expansion to be a completely new story instead of rehashing Bahamut again. Any fight with a complete version of him would seem so unrealistic to me to begin with, his freaking hand is the entire T5 arena and he shrugged off all of the Twelve being summoned to contain him. I know people will bring up Deathwing now but even that was a stretch, look at how many hoops they had to jump through to make that have any kind of canonical sense, and that was with there being a reasonable weakness for him before he became a potential boss (also orc jesus). Any sort of weakness on Bahamut would feel shoehorned to me at this point if we don't stop him here.

Everything following this is just speculation obviously. There are two remaining coils, but only one dungeon. I think we may end up at one of those console things from t5/t9 early in Third Coil, possibly guarded by
Louisoix
and once we flip the switch shit gets serious and Bahamut goes all out to prevent us from turning off the final coil and halting his recovery. This is the ultimate encounter, either against
Louisoix
if we hadn't already fought them or against a whole ton of random crap as Bahamut is using up his remaining aether attempting to stop the wonder twins. If you look at the area surrounding Bahamut, there are a ton of floating platforms, perfect place for an encounter as we hold him off long enough to turn the final coil off and he essentially fades away like other primals do.

If he actually gets complete and escapes I have no idea what we could possibly do to stop him. It would take something ridiculous like Zodiark eating him for it to ever make sense for him to go down, and that would be so anticlimatic. There's also the issue of what is stopping him from doing this again, as there are (presumably) other pieces of Dalmaud out in the world. He could just fly to another and repair anytime we do any kind of damage to him.

Ahaha that's exactly what it is... Yoshida why.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I honestly thought we were going into a spaceship initially since the elevator area was called Ragnarok iirc. That would have been awesome.

They are spaceships. But aside from an offhand mention that they are they never say what Allag used them for other than having them docked in Dalamud so that it looks edgy. They'd probably fly too, considering they survived embedding themselves miles into Eorzean land.

studyguy

They are spaceships. But aside from an offhand mention that they are they never say what Allag used them for other than having them docked in Dalamud so that it looks edgy. They'd probably fly too, considering they survived embedding themselves miles into Eorzean land.

Yeah but I don't want to fly around in a giant ADS ball D:
Allags were too obsessed with giant red balls imo. Hopefully there's something else there that isn't a giant red ball to fly around in.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yeah but I don't want to fly around in a giant ADS ball D:
Allags were too obsessed with giant red balls imo. Hopefully there's something else there that isn't a giant red ball to fly around in.

No-no, the Ragnarok model itself isn't a giant ball. Walk down to Alder Springs from Fallgourd and you can see a side of the ship sticking out. I think there's one more visible in The Burning Wall as well.

studyguy

No-no, the Ragnarok model itself isn't a giant ball. Walk down to Alder Springs from Fallgourd and you can see a side of the ship sticking out. I think there's one more visible in The Burning Wall as well.

Was joking mostly, giant sword-looking spaceships sounds way too cheesy though even for Allags. I have a hard time assuming they were much more than giant constructs meant to lock away Bahamut. We'll see though,

studyguy

It's okay, if we end up getting another Dala, we can just call Soken.
mini-stop-dalamud.jpg

Also they actually mentioned XIV in this week's Massively podcast. For like 3min...

Tabris

Those Japanese characters translate to "enrage" the enrage timer is 120 minutes and yes, the fight takes that long.

I'm game. I'll need all of the rest of our static to play FFXI before they made it easy to understand long fight pain in preparation!

In all seriousness, I remember spending 1-2 hours on single fights in that game. I think when we first started doing Jailer of Love, it took that long. FFXI didn't have an enrage timer until some linkshell spent 24hrs trying to kill a boss called Pandemonium Warden. Then they had to add a patch so people didn't die in their chair lol

Sorian

Banned
I'm game. I'll need all of the rest of our static to play FFXI before they made it easy to understand long fight pain in preparation!

In all seriousness, I remember spending 1-2 hours on single fights in that game. I think when we first started doing Jailer of Love, it took that long. FFXI didn't have an enrage timer until some linkshell spent 24hrs trying to kill a boss called Pandemonium Warden. Then they had to add a patch so people didn't die in their chair lol

I played Everquest deep into it's raiding cycle. I'm sure I'd be fine without the similar experience that FFXI gave. (I think all I'm missing is a 3 day fight).

dramatis

Buy the art book there and get it signed. That's what I'd do if I was going
I almost wanted to say something involving ebola, but Opiate will probably drift in and divebomb me

In any case there was no Shiva theme yet last live letter, right? Just the arena?

Sorian

Banned
I almost wanted to say something involving ebola, but Opiate will probably drift in and divebomb me

In any case there was no Shiva theme yet last live letter, right? Just the arena?

You used the E word. Opiate already has the green icon above your head.

And no, we don't have a theme yet as far as I know, definitely nothing from the last love letter.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why are we still using swords when we are dealing with and defeating the remnants of a civilization so advanced that they had genetic experiments and spaceships? Where are the laser guns?

studyguy

Why are we still using swords when we are dealing with and defeating the remnants of a civilization so advanced that they had genetic experiments and spaceships? Where are the laser guns?

At least a gunsword, gun shield... gun books.
Where's my garlean gear.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Why use laser guns when you can literally conjure a variety of small explosions and contagious diseases without breaking a sweat.

iammeiam

Minfilia gives you a magical cell phone so she can call you and tell you to travel across the continent to see her for a five minute conversation.

Our good guys are not the best at utilizing advanced technology to its fullest. Rowena's probably building an Allagan WMD from the data on all those tomestones though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why use laser guns when you can literally conjure a variety of small explosions and contagious diseases without breaking a sweat.

Some of us still have to use Swords, Shields, Axes, Claws, and Lances.

Coil 3 weapons will be laser equipped. Look forward to it.

Jayhawk

Some of us still have to use Swords, Shields, Axes, Claws, and Lances.

Coil 3 weapons will be laser equipped. Look forward to it.

Chosen One resorting to the use of 3rd party laser tools. Monks are the top dps in the game for most fights and they fight with their claws like a cat. Come on, Chosen One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom