• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
People saying "It's just cosmetic!" about the cash shop truly don't realize the snowball effect and psychological effect going down this route has on video games. Team Fortress 2 was ran into the ground with this garbage. Don't even pretend this is going to stop at "ahaha it's just a few minions and a mount guys, come on it's okay".
We already have a situation where instead of making previous seasonal items available for gil like at Moonfaire they're selling them for cash instead.
Yoshida might have reservations. Will his higher ups?

No information on ilevel increase? Come on Yoshi.

What do you mean? It's gonna be the same as 2.2 jump.

No information on ilevel increase? Come on Yoshi.

Think they honestly just expect people to figure it out on their own at this point when they keep dodging the question everytime it's brought up. Anything other than a 20 ilvl increase for Allagan would likely not happen due to them bringing back the upgrade system and then needing room for CT gear.

WolvenOne

The Sleipnir mount will be mine, minutes after it becomes available.....

... Well, unless they're asking like 40usd for it or something. Kinda don't that seeing as the prices for most the other items seems fairly reasonable.

Except for the Fantasia, that's insane.

kiryogi

Banned
People saying "It's just cosmetic!" about the cash shop truly don't realize the snowball effect and psychological effect going down this route has on video games. Team Fortress 2 was ran into the ground with this garbage. Don't even pretend this is going to stop at "ahaha it's just a few minions and a mount guys, come on it's okay".
We already have a situation where instead of making previous seasonal items available for gil like at Moonfaire they're selling them for cash instead.

What do you mean? It's gonna be the same as 2.2 jump.

It doesn't matter much since it's vanity. They seem firm about not pay 2 win. I think it makes sense that Moonfaire stuff etc should be considered a limited time thing normally. You missed what's a seasonal annual event, it's time to move on. Or if you really want to get it, here's another option. But the train's already left the station

Zomba13

Not a fan of cash shops even if it's just cosmetic. In a F2P game then I'm fine with it but when you are already paying a sub, locking content, even cosmetic, behind a pay wall sucks.

Like, TF2 having stuff be pay for cosmetics works ok because you can also craft for them (random chance) or get them as random drops and even trade for them so you can eventually get the thing you want that is on the cash shop.

It would be nice if there was a discount offered for things like classes at max level or time subbed or something to offer incentive to keep subbed and to buy from the store.

B-Dex

The Sleipnir mount will be mine, minutes after it becomes available.....

... Well, unless they're asking like 40usd for it or something. Kinda don't that seeing as the prices for most the other items seems fairly reasonable.

Except for the Fantasia, that's insane.

Fantasia isn't insanely priced. Comparable to other games for totally redoing your characters appearance.

Sleipnirs price being absent is a bit troubling.

docbon

cash shop exclusive odin mount

which means there probably won't be an odin primal fight outside fanfest events.

double
aE9tC3R.png

We already pay for the base game, the monthly sub, and any future expansions. I hate that this is a thing now.

kiryogi

Banned

which means there probably won't be an odin primal fight outside fanfest events.

double
aE9tC3R.png

Like I said earlier, they confirmed earlier in fanfest the Odin fight will be available later for everyone else. Selective reading much?

B-Dex

double
aE9tC3R.png

We already pay for the base game, the monthly sub, and any future expansions. I hate that this is a thing now.

They have already said repeatedly that Odin fight is being added later. He'll probably drop useful stuff like accessories or something.

WolvenOne

Bulk of the items are available for free, if you're subbed during said seasonal event. I don't mind their being a small handful of entirely unique to paid store items.

I mean, it's be different if they dwarfed the selection of free in game vanity, but that most definitely isn't the case.

Edit: also, I expect to see a unique Odin Pony now.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It doesn't matter much since it's vanity. They seem firm about not pay 2 win. I think it makes sense that Moonfaire stuff etc should be considered a limited time thing normally. You missed what's a seasonal annual event, it's time to move on. Or if you really want to get it, here's another option. But the train's already left the station

They already add tons of vanity items as an incentive to keep fishing/crafting/playing whatever.
But slapping together a minion or a costume to sell for a third of the monthly payment is so much more lucrative for the devs they might end up thinking "Why are we making all this content that doesn't make us money? Let's make more Wind-up Y'shtolas! People lap that up!"

And then it's over.

kiryogi

Banned
They already add tons of vanity items as an incentive to keep fishing/crafting/playing whatever.
But slapping together a minion or a costume to sell for a third of the monthly payment is so much more lucrative for the devs they might end up thinking "Why are we making all this content that doesn't make us money? Let's make more Wind-up Y'shtolas! People lap that up!"

And then it's over.

We can talk about that when ARR actually dies, this is optional, and vanity on top of that. Considering the momentum it's kept and it's still subscription based? They're doing pretty well outside of not catering to the hardcore enough.

And let's talk vanity, how many folks here forked up the $20 for the Moogle outfit? Don't lie now. The Moogle outfit was probably the hint towards this, I don't mind it. I got myself a Moogle outfit in December!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I wonder how ilevels will work once the level cap is raised though. What would be ilevel for gear 51+?

Item level and character level are unrelated parameters. It just so happened that for the convenience's sake under the cap they go hand in hand.
Level 60 gear will probably just start at 130/150.

WolvenOne

And then it's over.

The amount of users that go that batty over minions is fairly limited, there's a limit to how many minions they can sell like this, ditto with mounts.

Wind up Scions, and Sleipnir, are probably some of the most lucrative things they could have gone for.

Doesn't mean these will be the last cash store items of course, just, that these will probably be the best selling by a country mile.

iammeiam

I'm pretty happy with the live letter.

Would have liked some desynth-oriented discussion because that's still a whole weird side area, but whatever.

I'll take my nerfs to content and be happy.

Overall I think this letter blew away the last few as far as what they actually said and showed off. Glad they also confirmed Gold saucer for 2.5. I expect GS to be in name only and have little to do with FF7s tower in the sky full of minigames, did anyone really expect Rainbow Road to be the raceway in 14 like it was in 7?

Also don't have much against cash shops if they are strictly vanity, my problem is when the quality of what is in said cash shop is better than the quality of what is released ingame. That is what I absolutely hated about WoW when they started adding more and more mounts to the shop, suddenly there was a drop in quality for all the mounts they added ingame while the cash shop got everything that looked really nice. Sure the Odin mount looks really nice, but we haven't exactly seen a quality drop in any of the mounts obtainable in the game itself. The special effects on the ponies? ya those would be cash shop only in WoW.

dramatis

And then it's over.
You're getting all worked up again because you actually care about cosmetic items.

The answer is, it's not nearly as slippery slope as you exaggerate it to be. I notice you're not using examples such as dungeons, raids, and crafts becoming content people will have to pay extra real money for.

The subscription fee isn't actually paid for pretty hair and dresses and minions, it's paid for a game that people have fun playing. Wind-up Y'shtolas and cotumes aren't part of that, they're bonuses.

Cash shop killed the hype.

Still confused about Ninja. Some people are speculating that DEX will be added as a stat to all the Monk gear from 2.3 and below while everything from 2.4 and up will be Ninja specific. I did hear Yoshi P mention something about Monk gear and 2.3. I guess that could work. Archer as a cross class would have been nice for Raging Strikes and Hawk's Eye.

Confirming the new race for 2.5 opens the possibility for a different race in the expansion (Viera?).

scy

Cash shop killed the hype.

Still confused about Ninja. Some people are speculating that DEX will be added as a stat to all the Monk gear from 2.3 and below while everything from 2.4 and up will be Ninja specific. I did hear Yoshi P mention something about Monk gear and 2.3. I guess that could work. Archer as a cross class would have been nice for Raging Strikes and Hawk's Eye.

The other assumption is the punching animation was a joke (I mean, they did do that and go "So, White Mage / Black Mage") and the serious answer was the DEX one.

I guess we managed to still not know How2Ninja after two days.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You're getting all worked up again because you actually care about cosmetic items.

The answer is, it's not nearly as slippery slope as you exaggerate it to be. I notice you're not using examples such as dungeons, raids, and crafts becoming content people will have to pay extra real money for.

The subscription fee isn't actually paid for pretty hair and dresses and minions, it's paid for a game that people have fun playing. Wind-up Y'shtolas and cotumes aren't part of that, they're bonuses.

The problem is, these kinda bonuses were already in the game! They're generally reward for sticking around and doing special content, like being really good at crafting, or doing some interesting but otherwise unrewarding sidequest. Now that these kinds of rewards are in the cash shop, which is a much easier venue for the developers to draw cash from, there's a real danger for that kind of free content to dwindle.

And technically dungeons, raids and crafts are gonna be paid for. That's what the expansion is for.

A bright example of a game that slipped hard on that slope is Team Fortress 2. Cash shop not just ruined the game, it completely ran it into the ground.

iammeiam

Vanity is like half the fun of endgame for me, so I'll be pretty bummed if they start introducing a lot of real money clothing items, but... Eh. I guess I have to decide if being a spooky ghost is worth my dollars or not.

Also anyone with multiple chars who likes to Fantasia should probably buy now. Prices aren't changing, but the current system is account-wide and the new one will be character specific for the exact same price. So kind of a downgrade.

Why do people defending the cash shop on the OF sound like they work for SE PR.

No different from what happens in gaming when people defend companies. People have weird loyalties.

Neku054

Neo Member
Blackmage Eventg just gave me 30,000 gil as a gift from fan fest. I feel special.

We are told strictly not to do that. but its been happening. There seems to be some trolls here as well that are doing some weird things with keybinds and fucking other groups over. it was apparently pretty rampant in the Odin section

Wilsongt

We are told strictly not to do that. but its been happening. There seems to be some trolls here as well that are doing some weird things with keybinds and fucking other groups over. it was apparently pretty rampant in the Odin section

Must be the "Do you even PVP Bro" douches doing it.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very mad they added pay to win to this game. If they were going to add a cash shop to Miqo'te Dress-Up Simulator XIV, they should've sold stuff that doesn't matter, like stats.

I'm very mad they added pay to win to this game. If they were going to add a cash shop to Miqo'te Dress-Up Simulator XIV, they should've sold stuff that doesn't matter, like stats.

To be fair, the armor they showed has been obtainable ingame at some point and if you've played long enough you can still play dress up without paying the extra price to get them again :p. Honestly think $3-5 is kind of laughable when these items were pretty much free if you played during the events.

Getting all of those items in a way that makes sense with the gameworld is one of the reasons that I prefer sub mmos. I already didn't like the veterans rewards. Being able to craft said items, or find them as a rare drop, or do something in game to get them gives them meaning and makes them work withing the world they have made. Just buying them with real cash is giving them money for doing half the work. Same thing was what made me start to hate WoW years ago.

kierwynn

I'm not crazy about the cash shop, but in the end it's like whatever. I know, no matter how I feel about it, I'll be the first person to drop money on a purple unicorn if given the chance. Get money, yoship

Otnopolit

Satire at its finest, I agree wholeheartedly: it's all cosmetic. Geez.

Something that bugs me on the Premium Stream is all the people dissing the "casuals" when the devs were thinking about bringing in echo for 2nd Coil. I really don't think having a superiority complex about FFXIV is the healthiest thing...

What's stupid is they are using the live servers, which means there are Internet problems during the event fights. Our PLD actually got 90k'd out of our first Odin attempt.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You know what, removing one-hit upon petrification in T7 is actually making the fight worse, because we had to on an occasion bring harm to the petrified person to prevent them from stoning more people.

Stop making things that are different, Mister G!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom