• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teremap

Banned
They said there would be multiple new jobs not multiple new classes.
Yes... which is why I believe the class system is getting dropped or overhauled into something else.

Either way, we'll know what they're planning this Saturday. (Unless they're assholes and make us wait for JP FanFest...)

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Only one crafting job to go before I drown in an ocean of materia related debt.

rejoice.png

Just go to Urth's Gift and SB like everyone else. o_O

BadRNG

GLD skills can be set for another class. Instead of using the full Rage of Halone combo, just swap it to an extension on the Riot Blade combo with a new attack. This way the new class gains MP every time it uses Riot and rather than say use TP for the final Riot Blade Combo skill, it exerts MP. Then we have some crazy ass magic using melee class that can keep its MP use going for a while like it uses TP&MP. If it needs to it can swap to Rage of Halone to inflict STR down I guess or something I don't fucking know I'm shit shitting out ideas.
You can kinda work the combos for other classes, but GLD just has a ton of tanky skills. A DRK with sentinel just kinda goes against the entire concept of DRK, why even have it at that point.

I think GLD might work kinda with Red Mage. They've worn shields in the past, use one hand swords, riot blade would be great for them. The amount of defensive cooldowns is still weird but not as bad as it would be for DRK concept wise.

Reknoc

They need to put in Beastmaster so we can get a pet class with proper pets and not terrible looking crystal bollocks.

and also sheep costume AF

Teremap

Banned
http://www.ffxiv-eorzea.com/en/news...ew-of-naoki-yoshida-at-french-japan-expo-2014
Secrets of Eorzea : During the PS3 version presentation, in an interview, you said there was a possibility that jobs could use completely different weapons than their classes and altered basic skills. Do you still consider it or are you thinking of a new game-play system?

Naoki Yoshida : For the 3.0 expansion pack, we already know what jobs we want to introduce. We already decided, and already started working on it. The example I gave earlier [regarding jobs that alter existing skills] doesn’t fit with 3.0. If we’re talking longer future, I don’t know, and I haven’t decided, so it might be possible. That would be nice.
So forget it. If DRK or SAM use different weapons they will not be based on currently existing classes.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I think they've said some time back they don't plan on making forks a-la Scholar for the time being? Can't find a quote.

studyguy

You can kinda work the combos for other classes, but GLD just has a ton of tanky skills. A DRK with sentinel just kinda goes against the entire concept of DRK, why even have it at that point.

I think GLD might work kinda with Red Mage. They've worn shields in the past, use one hand swords, riot blade would be great for them. The amount of defensive cooldowns is still weird but not as bad as it would be for DRK concept wise.

We still get 10 extra levels in the expansion though. It wouldn't surpise me if we suddenly had to go 5 levels higher in our class to unlock the Job too much like we used to in XI for subjobs. Who knows, the classes could be expanded post expansion too, it doesn't have to center around jobs alone. More to the point, the 10 extra levels make it so DRK would have that many more skills to work with.

I don't know though, DRK could be a healer for all we know that slaps people to heal them or something, London pls come soon.

Teremap

Banned
I think they've said some time back they don't plan on making forks a-la Scholar for the time being? Can't find a quote.
From that same interview:
Secrets of Eorzea : When can we expect the arrival of the second jobs of existing classes? Do you not fear to be limited in the future with such a system? Do you imagine the possibility to completely change the class/job system in a next expansion?

Naoki Yoshida : I am not allowed to say anything about 3.0 because if I talk about it before Fan Festival, I will get talked to by several people so sorry I can’t get into further details. At the moment, Arcanist goes into Summoner and Scholar but the allocation is the same, so that’s something we would need to solve before bringing secondary jobs to other classes. So, that’s about as far as I can tell you.
This plus the mention of exclusively jobs during FanFest suggests that their solution to this problem involves a fundamental change to the class/job system.

Sorian

Banned

Sorian

Banned
From that same interview:
This plus the mention of exclusively jobs during FanFest suggests that their solution to this problem involves a fundamental change to the class/job system.

Or, you know, they will use common sense and fix the issue that stat allocations are tied to the class instead of the job. You're reaching.

Edit: oops double

Teremap

Banned
All I see there is they would not alter existing skills. The weapon can be different if it's held the same way. Rogue uses knives while ninja uses duel swords. My example of MRD using a big axe while DRK would use a great sword falls in the same line.
They would have to change the animations completely for DRK. Have you looked at how MRDs hold their axes? They have one hand up the haft. Unless DRK greatswords get designed with massive handles they'd have to change their grip on every single animation anyway. That's besides the fact that axe swing animations for freakin' greatswords is a bloody terrible idea and by the Twelve I really hope they don't cheap out like that.

Or, you know, they will use common sense and fix the issue that stat allocations are tied to the class instead of the job. You're reaching.

Edit: oops double
You really don't have to try so hard, you know.

You can just wait for London FanFest to happen and then we'll see who's right.

Jomjom

Banned
Just wondering, has anyone tried to play FFXIV on the Playstation TV?

I'm going to hook up my PSTV and PS4 with some CAT7 cable today and see how Titan EX goes. You know for science (and so I can play in bed).

BadRNG

I am reading these Yoshida responses you keep linking very differently from you it seems. Not wanting to alter base skills via job isn't the same as doing away with the job system, it just means the jobs need to tie in with the existing skills, just like SCH/SMN accomplished fine. Fixing stat allocation is something that should be done no matter what, regardless of how future jobs are implemented.

As for the animation argument, I don't really get your point, yes they will need new animations. But so what? They will need to design new animations for a new class too, how does that prevent them from just doing new animations and then using a base class? The animation work is a guarantee, the only question is if they want to put in the work for designing a whole new class too.

I actually hope you're right and we get some new classes, but I don't know if the comments you've mentioned thus far really point to that for sure.
You can just wait for London FanFest to happen and then we'll see who's right.
Might not want to get your hopes up, even if they say what the new jobs are we might not get much real info if they want to save stuff for the Tokyo fanfest.

Teremap

Banned
Spotted this little tidbit:
http://jpgames-forum.de/jpgames-de-...asy-xiv-our-new-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/
JPGAMES: We also wanted to know, if there will also be former jobs, which we got to know from Final Fantasy XI. For example, the Blue Mage was quite popular amongst the fans. Will there be more job classes in the future?

YOSHIDA: Of course not only from FF XI, but from the previous Final Fantasy Series as well. There are a lot of unique jobs in the Final Fantasy Series, so you can expect a lot of interesting classes. From Version 1.0 the new one we are implementing to A Realm Reborn to start with, is the Summoner. But also there could be classes like Dark Knight, Samurai, Thief and Ninja.
I know this was already "addressed' (insofar as a thoughtless dismissal could be considered "addressed") but I really don't think it was a coincidence that he mentioned these three classes right next to each other.

WolvenOne

The ARR sound track came today, ordered it via Amazon since it was sold out at the Fan Fest.

Really enjoying it so far, shame Answers doesn't appear to be on it though.

Allard

Was this interview posted yet?

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2jxj1z/fanfest_reddits_2014_interview_with_naoki_yoshida/

Some of the reddit community got a chance to ask Yoshida some questions too after fanfest.

The one answer I liked hearing was about the 'danger' of the overworld being changed in the new expansion areas and about why ARR had such toned down difficulty even compared to 1.0. (I'm one of the few that liked the artificial difficulty of stone farming in west shroud where you could not run or the trees would one shot you lol). I don't expect the difficulty to change that much, but I do wish there were more areas that were dangerous for the sake of dangerous that made you hesitant to not charge right into a pack of creatures. At most they are annoying if they hit me with weight :p.

Sorian

Banned
Spotted this little tidbit:
http://jpgames-forum.de/jpgames-de-...asy-xiv-our-new-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/
I know this was already "addressed' (insofar as a thoughtless dismissal could be considered "addressed") but I really don't think it was a coincidence that he mentioned these three classes right next to each other.

Yes yes and housing will be affordable for all and different from FC housing when it releases for individuals. You've pulled something from so far back in time that I can't really care much. Yoshi talks out of his ass a lot too.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Reddit: I'm going to start out with some raid questions. You announced that Final Coil of Bahamut is going to be four bosses long, I assume, plus four savage modes. Games like World of Warcraft, which I hate to bring up, typically introduce tiers of 10 to 13 bosses. Is there any plans on adding any large scale raids with many bosses post expansion?

Yoshida: Well I mean if you will wait longer between patches then we can do something like that.

Cold as ice.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
And it's because they're popular that they're basically a shoo-in for the first expansion!

You follow?

I'd save some of the big guns for the second, honestly- Dark Knight I'd think is enough of a 'cool' job. I could be wrong though, I didn't really expect them to use every single big name primal except Alexander before the first expansion hit!

Teremap

Banned
Yes yes and housing will be affordable for all and different from FC housing when it releases for individuals. You've pulled something from so far back in time that I can't really care much. Yoshi talks out of his ass a lot too.
Maaan, the guy tells one white lie (he literally says he only said it to try to assuage fanbase fears) and suddenly everything he's ever said is now suspect in your eyes?

I mean... that's kind of funny, honestly. Now, I'm not going to say he shouldn't be held to the fire for making that lie in the first place - everyone should make sure that such lies are thoroughly unwelcome even if the reasoning is 'just' - but, really, I'm not about to throw him under the bus for one lousy mistake.

studyguy

oh man, my image of eanae being a cat lady is now ruined

You're all little girls in my mind.
Terrible little cat girls.

So now there's chances that you might get on your Chocobo and auto run, look around, go to get yourself a... "Oh I'm dead". We want to bring back some of that thrill and we're adding that to our concept for 3.0. But we're not going to make it anything as thrilling as the original Final Fantasy XI. We know that there's people out there who love that though.

I get the feeling he means like us going in as Level 50's into a new area and getting clobbered with 60's around.
The old XI style of one mob obliterating your face if you looked at it wrong was funny for a while, but I don't see it ever coming back in any way shape or form.

Sorian

Banned
Maaan, the guy tells one white lie (he literally says he only said it to try to assuage fanbase fears) and suddenly everything he's ever said is now suspect in your eyes?

I mean... that's kind of funny, honestly. Now, I'm not going to say he shouldn't be held to the fire for making that lie in the first place - everyone should make sure that such lies are thoroughly unwelcome even if the reasoning is 'just' - but, really, I'm not about to throw him under the bus for one lousy mistake.

Yes, everything he says a long time ago is 100% suspect. Things change and he does just say whatever to make people happy. That's a problem and he deserves the suspicion.

WolvenOne

I wouldnt want singular overworld mobs that could absolutely wreck me.

That said, I'd love areas where you needed to be careful not to aggro more than two or three mobs at any given time.

Heck, even singular ones would be okay, if we were taking about absolutely immense enemies, like a t-rex.

Teknoman

I'd be shocked if Dark Knight was a Tank. I mean, not only because it wouldn't fit the history of the class, but also because we already have one sword wielding tank class.

Well there was Cecil. How many DRK have there been in FF history anyway? Cecil, Zeid... I forget the games that featured it in job system alone. I really hope they aren't a tank though, but I know Samurai or Dark Knight would have to be one. I guess it would feel like tanking as either Warrior or Paladin, choosing best for the job, or if 2 are needed, whoever has best synergy

I'd love actual danger in overworld areas.

Drac

A new week, a new (third in a row for our fourth down) Sch weapon on T9. How many more until we can expect to see something else ? Thanks god for the unlock next week >_>

dcye

Yay finally got my bow. Thank you based Nael.

Also, ITT: people make definitive statements about conjecture to argue with each other.

dcye

Also, in regards to them going back and adding DEX to old MNK gear. DEX affects parry and block rates as well as ranged damage, does that mean that ninjas older gear will make their parry rates much much higher than all other classes? Also, are they going to redo the DEX stat to include all types of damage or are they going to cheat it and count NIN as "ranged" damage and keep the ranges on their attacks super small.

They've definitely made this more complicates than it needed to be IMO. With the way DEX works in the game STR would've made far more sense.

Finally saw MNK chest in Second Coil...shame it's not bis. Let our SCH have but man it was tough not to greed it for vanity (Can just farm for it next week anyways)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom