• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the Disciple of War classes share the exact same gear from 1-49 (with lancers getting access to chain/scale and tanks getting plate on top of that). It's only at level 50 that a split happens.

Oh man, I had forgotten about this. Just shows how long it's been since I've leveled anything battle related up in FFXIV >_>

Munba

I would like to see some new kind of 'gathering' classes like Archeologist or similar for extra stuff (or lore) to collect / find. Kinda.

WolvenOne

You'll get one tank and one healer and that's about it from your list. Please be excited.

Heh.

Well there's Dark Knight, which will probably be melee DPS, given the classes history in other Final Fantasy games.

They'll definitely add a healer and tank, seeing as the game will lose healers and tanks if they don't add new Healer and tank classes.

Only thing I'm not really sure on, is whether we'll get another caster class, or another range class. We really need both, but we need another non-caster range DPS besides BARD, so I'd say that's a slightly higher priority.

I'm pleased with their implementation of Ninja. Who even knows what their future plans are regarding jobs, attributes, etc. leading up to the expansion and beyond?

The real issue is addressing the loot distribution from Coil and other activities, especially now that the loot tables are growing. I need to rewatch that part of the stream, but I think they might be considering an increase in the number of drops per chest or something to that affect. Didn't they say something about this?

Just resubbed.

Hoping I didn't get kicked out of the FC.

Do I have to go through that process again if I did?

As long as you applied at the website originally, you should be fine. If you can't find a GAF member 'physically', you can do an area search in-game, right click on a GAF member in the list, View Company Profile, and apply. Just leave a note that you were in the FC previously.

Isaccard

I'm pleased with their implementation of Ninja. Who even knows what their future plans are regarding jobs, attributes, etc. leading up to the expansion and beyond?

The real issue is addressing the loot distribution from Coil and other activities, especially now that the loot tables are growing. I need to rewatch that part of the stream, but I think they might be considering an increase in the number of drops per chest or something to that affect. Didn't they say something about this?

I only remember them saying they would go back and add weapons (allagan and Primal) to old content for Rogue/Ninja

WolvenOne

Gathering classes I'd like to see.

Hunter

Not sure how this would work exactly, but I rather like the idea. Best I can figure is that they go to, "Hunting Spots," use a Track or Observe command, and a Hunter Only mob appears. After that you have options like, Snipe, Trap, Lure, etc, basically you're trying to down it before the animal runs off. Maybe at 60 they'd get an Option for Big Game hunting, that required them to team up with an actual battle class, or something.

They would specialize it gathering meats, skins, feathers, etc.

Archaeologist

I've heard this a few times already, and it strikes me as a good idea. Their nodes would almost always have to be at places of interest, like outside of Wanderers Palace, Crystal Tower, etc.

They'd specialize in gathering artifacts and device components. For example, Ampidore Stone, Garlean Plates, Allagen whatever.

Isaccard

Gathering classes I'd like to see.

Hunter

Not sure how this would work exactly, but I rather like the idea. Best I can figure is that they go to, "Hunting Spots," use a Track or Observe command, and a Hunter Only mob appears. After that you have options like, Snipe, Trap, Lure, etc, basically you're trying to down it before the animal runs off.

They would specialize it gathering meats, skins, feathers, etc.

Archaeologist

I've heard this a few times already, and it strikes me as a good idea. Their nodes would almost always have to be at places of interest, like outside of Wanderers Palace, Crystal Tower, etc.

They'd specialize in gathering artifacts and device components. For example, Ampidore Stone, Garlean Plates, Allagen whatever.

These sounds jobs I'd assign my retainers to do

Kyari

Incidentally, this is what I'm hoping for, for the expansion, in terms of classes.

Four Battle Classes, specifically

• 1 Tank Class
  • 1 Melee DPS class
  • 1 Caster/Range DPS class
  • 1 Healer Class
Two new Gathering Classes

NO new crafting classes!

The last thing they want to do is make it so people have to level up even more crafting classes, just to repair their own gear.

Based on E3 comments I'm expecting a tank and a healer and thats about it.

Sorian

Banned
Dark Knight is going to be a tank, sorry to burst bubbles and blow minds.

Also to burst Kagari's bubble too. The gun class will be a healer (though who knows, they might still DEX it up)

Mairu

Damn. I was hoping they'd keep sharing monk gear, and Dark Knight would share DRG gear in the expansion etc. As it is it's just going to bloat the Coil 3 loot tables even more. I guess at least Dex accessories won't need to go to the void as often!

Hopefully at some point they just switch to token-based loot like WoW did (certain classes have shared tokens that are traded for specific pieces rather than each individual piece dropping themselves)

Sorian

Banned
I'd be shocked if Dark Knight was a Tank. I mean, not only because it wouldn't fit the history of the class, but also because we already have one sword wielding tank class.

So? If they both job off of Gladiator then they both use sword. I think it'll job off of MRD though and use two handed sword.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'd be shocked if Dark Knight was a Tank. I mean, not only because it wouldn't fit the history of the class, but also because we already have one sword wielding tank class.

Bard is already way different in this game than it is in XI so. Anything goes.

WolvenOne

So? If they both job off of Gladiator then they both use sword. I think it'll job off of MRD though and use two handed sword.

I suspect you're right there. Namely because it'd give them access to Bloodbath, which seems like a very Dark Knight-ish skill. And yeah, it'll either be a two handed Great Sword, or something akin to a Katana. I'd bet far more heavily on the former though.

Still don't think it'll be a Tank though. I mean, Dark Knights almost always have moves that Sacrifice HP for a burst of damage. I don't really see how such a skill set would rectify with Tank classes.

It'd be 2.0 Warrior all over again, but worse, since the changes would need to be more fundamental to make them usable in battle.

Teremap

Banned
Based on E3 comments I'm expecting a tank and a healer and thats about it.
Dark Knight is going to be a tank, sorry to burst bubbles and blow minds.

Also to burst Kagari's bubble too. The gun class will be a healer (though who knows, they might still DEX it up)
I don't believe this for a second.

I think we're getting at least three new classes (SAM, DRK, non-magical healer) and maybe even four (DPS gunner class). I believe SAM and DRK will both be their own base classes, especially after Yoshida's suggestive comment in that previously linked interview.

I should note that a greatsword and/or great katana would both need completely new animation work anyway. May as well just make new classes while you're at it.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it does sound like they're going token with the expansion. Still, it's really weird how left-side coil gear is done. Tanks share gear. Healers share gear. Casters share gear. Dragoons, Monks, Ninja, and Bard have completely separate sets.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, it does sound like they're going token with the expansion. Still, it's really weird how left-side coil gear is done. Tanks share gear. Healers share gear. Casters share gear. Dragoons, Monks, Ninja, and Bard have completely separate sets.

DRG and MNK should probably share at this point.

WolvenOne

I realize they could go different, but there's only so many ways to go here.

For example, lets say Dark Knight was tank. Well, we have a CD mitigation class with PLD, so it wouldn't make sense to make a second. I highly doubt they'd be a evasion Tank, as that'd be bizarre. That leaves, range tank, and self heal tank.

I'll admit that Self Heals would kinda make sense for Dark Knight, but, Warrior already does quite a lot of that.

LaneDS

Are there any sweeping changes in 2.4 to crafting or gathering classes that would make it better to wait to level those until after the patch hits, or can I just go ahead and start working on them?

studyguy

I don't know if we've been running long enough for YoshiP to feel confident enough in putting out those so called "hybrid classes" he was talking about. The expansion jobs could very well be the first ones, but I'm leaning on them being slightly different flavors of vanilla Tank/DPS/Healer roles that exist.

I don't buy the idea of DRK as a tank btw even if it does shoot off of GLD.

Teremap

Banned
I realize they could go different, but there's only so many ways to go here.

For example, lets say Dark Knight was tank. Well, we have a CD mitigation class with PLD, so it wouldn't make sense to make a second. I highly doubt they'd be a evasion Tank, as that'd be bizarre. That leaves, range tank, and self heal tank.

I'll admit that Self Heals would kinda make sense for Dark Knight, but, Warrior already does quite a lot of that.
Hey, don't forget about counter-based tank!

We aren't getting SAM this go around.
I have no idea what gives you the confidence to make this statement.

studyguy

Team tank SAM all the way.
I want to play my old job again, this time in a role I enjoy.

Ideally it'd be some kind of reactionary counter tank, dealing damage and using skills based on parries or something.
Give me something crazy yoshiP
Pipedreams yo, pipedreams

WolvenOne

Samurai would be interesting, but I'm not sure how many jobs from Doma we'll be getting just yet. Already seems a bit of a stretch for their to be trained up Ninja's so soon after their introduction to the continent. XD

Sorian

Banned
I have no idea what gives you the confidence to make this statement.

None of us have any current basis for the confidence in our statements. We're all either going off of something Yoshi said forever ago (and who gives a shit about his word on things) or wishful thinking or trying to read hints that may or may not have actually been at fan festival a few days ago. London will be a good old time, I'm sure.

studyguy

Until London, we could wish for Rainbow Mages that shoot butterflies out their ass, dream big guys.
Disappointment will crush these dreams all the same.

iammeiam

Are there any sweeping changes in 2.4 to crafting or gathering classes that would make it better to wait to level those until after the patch hits, or can I just go ahead and start working on them?

There's no reason to expect sweeping changes to crafting leveling in 2.4; the Ixali dailies added not too long ago have already made it easier to level fairly recently. Most of what 2.4 is adding should be for people already maxed out; 2.45 May make substantial changes to gearing once max leveled, but leveling will probably stay as something best done with GC turn-ins, Ixali dailies, and leves.

Sorian

Banned
Until London, we could wish for Rainbow Mages that shoot butterflies out their ass, dream big guys.
Disappointment will crush these dreams all the same.

I expect the introduction of super golem class. It'll be both tank and DPS since it will have constant DEF boosts, a self refilling regen that's more potent than benevolence and hits like a series of full sized F-750s.

LaneDS

There's no reason to expect sweeping changes to crafting leveling in 2.4; the Ixali dailies added not too long ago have already made it easier to level fairly recently. Most of what 2.4 is adding should be for people already maxed out; 2.45 May make substantial changes to gearing once max leveled, but leveling will probably stay as something best done with GC turn-ins, Ixali dailies, and leves.

Great, thank you for the response.

Teremap

Banned
None of us have any current basis for the confidence in our statements. We're all either going off of something Yoshi said forever ago (and who gives a shit about his word on things) or wishful thinking or trying to read hints that may or may not have actually been at fan festival a few days ago. London will be a good old time, I'm sure.
Yoshida is a really strict boss (look at how adamantly he refused to let the Primals play Shiva during the closing ceremony). I doubt he would have let Soken get away with showing the folder if it wasn't supposed to be a hint. And then there's the fact that a fan asking Soken afterwards was specifically told "Shhh, it's a secret", which is such an obvious hint it's painful for me to see someone try to deny it.

Plus they did that whole 'one of our developers could have been a shogun' thing which had nothing to do with anything except serve as another hint.

SAM will be revealed alongside DRK. I will consume copious amounts of humble pie if I somehow managed to read something out of nothing, but this is not "wishful thinking".

BadRNG

I think we're getting at least three new classes (SAM, DRK, non-magical healer) and maybe even four (DPS gunner class). I believe SAM and DRK will both be their own base classes, especially after Yoshida's suggestive comment in that previously linked interview.

I should note that a greatsword and/or great katana would both need completely new animation work anyway. May as well just make new classes while you're at it.
I took that comment to mean the new jobs would come off already in-game classes, not that there would be a bunch of new classes. Guess it's open to interpretation. And new animation work is a lot easier than new animation work + entire new class story + skill set + gear design.

This is what I think too, DRK mashes well with MRD. So many of the GLD skills just make no sense for DRK. The only reason I can see them making it GLD is just cause they wanted GLD to have a dps job, but that'd be a dumb reason.

Guys how is the player population lately?
I had to stop playing a month after the PS4 version came out because I was splitting my time between the endgame grind and my shooter clan.
Now after the awful Destiny and my clan avoiding Advanced Warfare I can give it my full attention.

however I only had 2 pieces of Lv90 gear and I don't want to be the only person doing that if the playerbase has completely moved on to the good stuff.

Sorian

Banned
SAM will be revealed alongside DRK. I will consume copious amounts of humble pie if I somehow managed to read something out of nothing, but this is not "wishful thinking".

"Hints that may or may not have been there." Also, for the sake of rebuttal, I don't know what you meant earlier about the new jobs being their own classes but the real hint here is that they will all job off of existing classes.

studyguy

GLD skills can be set for another class. Instead of using the full Rage of Halone combo, just swap it to an extension on the Riot Blade combo with a new attack. This way the new class gains MP every time it uses Riot and rather than say use TP for the final Riot Blade Combo skill, it exerts MP. Then we have some crazy ass magic using melee class that can keep its MP use going for a while like it uses TP&MP. If it needs to it can swap to Rage of Halone to inflict STR down I guess or something I don't fucking know I'm shit shitting out ideas.

Teremap

Banned
I took that comment to mean the new jobs would come off already in-game classes, not that there would be a bunch of new classes. Guess it's open to interpretation. And new animation work is a lot easier than new animation work + entire new class story + skill set + gear design.
They don't have to make new gear for separate classes, FYI (AF armor aside).

And I just don't see how SAM or DRK would actually work out just picking up MRD or GLD skills + 5 job skills. They'd end up too damn similar, which I believe is a big part of the reason why they are hinting at dropping the Job system entirely.

"Hints that may or may not have been there." Also, for the sake of rebuttal, I don't know what you meant earlier about the new jobs being their own classes but the real hint here is that they will all job off of existing classes.
I don't believe this to be true, especially after they have said that they do not want to continue the 2-jobs-per-class paradigm. They have not said anything to suggest that they're going to continue with that system going forward.

studyguy

so does that mean I'll be the only PLD left in the server when DRK becomes a tank? :/

If all tanks keep using the same gear, no lol.
As it stands PLD gear is like being a few steps away from finishing WAR sets and vice versa if you want to be lazy about it.

Sorian

Banned
I don't believe this to be true, especially after they have said that they do not want to continue the 2-jobs-per-class paradigm. They have not said anything to suggest that they're going to continue with that system going forward.

They said there would be multiple new jobs not multiple new classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom