• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Shiva EX Unlock first (because people can't get mad at me wiping them the first few hours since nobody will know what to do)

Then new dungeon unlocks

Then Hildebrand trial thing unlock

Ninja grindathon while waiting for groups and on until the end of time.

Sorian

Banned
If Shiva extreme is at the end of all this, than a few hours probably isn't going to be enough to get that fight unlocked.

You're underestimating everyone who skips all the cutscenes and powers through the dialogue. Someone will have a PF group up for extreme within an hour.

studyguy

You're underestimating everyone who skips all the cutscenes and powers through the dialogue. Someone will have a PF group up for extreme within an hour.

My friend in the BG lead team has no idea what even went on in the main storyline. They apparently skipped through literally everything in it to get to endgame.

Demoskinos

My friend in the BG lead team has no idea what even went on in the main storyline. They apparently skipped through literally everything in it to get to endgame.
I don't like telling people how to play their games but...man,that just seems like the least fun way to play this. So many enjoyable cut-scenes.

aceface

It will be cool if they make the dungeon required for story this time. I like dungeons that are tied into the games narrative instead of, "oh we dug deeper and there are more giants now!" and so on.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It will be cool if they make the dungeon required for story this time. I like dungeons that are tied into the games narrative instead of, "oh we dug deeper and there are more giants now!" and so on.

I hope they do. Then more people will do it.

Prototype

I just watched the trailer for 2.4 via gametrailers and damn.... That's a metric ton of content for a free update.

Makes me wonder just how big heavensward will be.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
2.4 feels kinda small and barren (say, compared to 2.1), especially if you're not gonna do Final Coil any time soon. Although idk I wasn't around for 2.1 so maybe it's just perception. I guess Ninja is the main addition here and I feel I'm the only one around who doesn't particularly care about the class.

Sorian

Banned
2.4 feels kinda small and barren compared to 2.1, especially if you're not gonna do Final Coil any time soon. Although idk I wasn't around for 2.1 so maybe it's just perception. I guess Ninja is the main addition here and I feel I'm the only one around who doesn't particularly care about the class.

Why was 2.1 your comparison patch? Anyway, all of the patches have had the exact same amount of content. They've all added the same number of dungeons and "raids". Continued the main and Hildy questline. And added in a new system that changed the dynamic of the game. 2.2 might not have added a new system, I can't remember offhand what came with 2.2.

Moaradin

I'm pretty impressed we're getting a new class so soon, and with a free patch at that. I'm used to how WoW did it though. We didn't get a new class until YEARS after the game came out, and that was with a paid expansion. After like 10 years I think WoW still only has like 2-3 new classes.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Not really. 2.1 was super barren compared to 2.4. 2.1 basically had Extreme Primals (Garuda/Ifrit/Titan), Moogle Mog HM and CT, which was already behind gear-wise due to it being delayed out of launch.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Why was 2.1 your comparison patch? Anyway, all of the patches have had the exact same amount of content. They've all added the same number of dungeons and "raids". Continued the main and Hildy questline. And added in a new system that changed the dynamic of the game. 2.2 might not have added a new system, I can't remember offhand what came with 2.2.

2.1 added housing, the most new trials, roulette, BTQ, PVP, treasure hunts. I guess most of those features should've been in at launch though.
2.3 added hunts and frontlines. These were pretty big.

Jayhawk

It only felt like there was a lot to do in 2.1 because of all the hours spent on extreme Primals. THEY ARE THE PRIMALS. THEY PLAY PRIMAL SONGS.

Sorian

Banned
I think the addition of ninja is being very undervalued in here. Even if you don't play ninja, it changes the entire dynamic of any group content in the game.

Kenai

2.4 feels kinda small and barren (say, compared to 2.1), especially if you're not gonna do Final Coil any time soon. Although idk I wasn't around for 2.1 so maybe it's just perception. I guess Ninja is the main addition here and I feel I'm the only one around who doesn't particularly care about the class.

Nah man. It's got a new tome set, new primal, new coil, Hildebrand continuation (with Trial it looks like) 3 new dungeons, likely a new set of unspoiled gathering materials and the recipes that will come with them, doubling house wards so more people have access to that content, and that's in addition to Ninja and whatever they bring (new classes are almost always interesting to group content even if you don't play one yourself). It would be rare to find a patch with more content in any MMO outside an expansion, let alone this one. Even if you don't take advantage of it personally, a lot of new content is still a lot of new content.

Edit:

99% sure it will be the case since if you look at the Fenrir fight in Snowcloak there is a Primal Crystal in the background he is likely guarding.

I just watched the trailer for 2.4 via gametrailers and damn.... .

Yes, I know. Trying to watch anything on our video player is enough to make you curse.

Not really. 2.1 was super barren compared to 2.4. 2.1 basically had Extreme Primals (Garuda/Ifrit/Titan), Moogle Mog HM and CT, which was already behind gear-wise due to it being delayed out of launch.

It added pony drops. That's all that matters.

for real CL left, who's gonna carry us now other than her? I'm not paying denver maximillian aka "a guy we knew"

He only offers carries up to T5. The people who offered SCoB carries left Ultros. I don't think anyone is selling SCoB carries until 2.4.

I don't like telling people how to play their games but...man,that just seems like the least fun way to play this. So many enjoyable cut-scenes.

I've skipped so many story cutscenes since 2.1...ain't nobody got time for that. Gotta get to that Shiva battle next Tuesday and get my pony.

WolvenOne

2.4 can most closely be compared to 2.2, and here's how it stacks up.

2.2 Content.

1. Second Coil
  2. Battle on the Big Bridge Trial
  3. Leviathan/Leviathan Extreme
  4. MoogleMog Extreme
  5. Two New Sets of Beast Tribe Quests
  6. Three new HM Dungeons.

2.4 Content

1. Final Coil
  2. Shiva/Shiva Extreme
  3. Ultros and Typhoon
  4. Rogue/Ninja
  5. Three new HM Dungeons

So, yes, 2.4 is ever so slightly less beefy than 2.2. We're getting only one Extreme Trial, and no new Beastman Dailies. This is largely offset by getting Ninja, but, not entirely. That said, Primal Coil is a huge piece of content, and much of the community hasn't cleared Second Coil yet, and will be seeing a lot of content there thanks to Echo and it being taken off lockout. I worry a little about the hard-core end-game types being kept occupied by this patch until 2.5, but I have little doubt the average player will be just fine.

I do wish they'd get back to 2 Extreme Level trials per major patch though. That feels like a far better fit for the average subscribers play-style than one single Extreme Primal. Admittedly though, Primal fights probably take a lot of work.

BLCKATK

On the topic of previous patches...

For me I think 2.2 added the most relevant content for me as a player, I was in the best position to benefit from all of the things added. Second Coil and Leviathan were pretty important encounters back when they first game out and I was in position to experience both. The echo added to first coil also allowed a lot players that hadn't dreamed of going in there out of not having the time commitment or fear of ridicule got to experience that for the first time as well.

2.1 added a lot of content but some of it needed time to be fixed or required even more to actually be experienced. CT and the new dungeons were pretty immediate, while Wolves Den need 2.15 to really be worth trying to experience in my opinion (and even then, it wasn't much of an experience). Housing was out of the way for tons of players back then, it took months for my FC to get a house so it took awhile to experience that content.

The cool thing about 2.4 is that Rogue and Ninja are something everyone is gonna get to experience. Maybe not in dungeons right away due to DPS queues but atleast players from all stages of the game can try that out. It works well with a patch that is releasing content for the players at the very top. At the same time it is extremely relevant to top players too because Ninja will most likely change group play, in a good way I hope. I am really looking forward to seeing if early clears for Coil will include Ninjas. Another addition is the next EX primal for the semi-hardcore to learn and farm.

I think 2.3 ended being the patch I was engaged the least with, but that probably is because I had been playing the game for so long at that point. Frontline was great, Hunts were fun for a time being, but I didn't have the drive to Ramuh, especially with the lackluster gear (which was fixed!). Savage Coil was out of my reach. Regardless that doesn't deny the fact that those features are huge, unfortunately going to be falling out of style soon though.

WolvenOne

On this subject.

In 3.0+, I'd like to see them offer at least One new Extreme Primal per month, plus, one previous Primal returning as a Savage Mode fight.

This would be a relatively easy way of normalizing content from that point on. New Primal fights likely take a whole lot of work, since they need to come up with models, music, whole new mechanics, etc etc etc. Reusing pre-existing Primals is likely still a decent amount of work, but probably a lot less so than making a primal from scratch.

As for what these fights should look like. I'd be tempted to go with 24 man trials, with roughly Coil level difficulty. They'd be a relative nightmare to pull together and execute, but, it'd still be something to do. XD

Ken

I'm powerleveling Nin Py's Rogue to 15+. I don't mind powerleveling more people. We need some practice to figure out best powerleveling methods. Either the Rogue gathers their hunting log mobs and the powerleveler AOE kills them, or the Rogue goes straight to like the Goblin camp north of Aleport and aggros a bunch of the Goblins for the powerleveler to AOE. It is a trade-off between the extra exp from the hunting log versus the simplicity of gathering mobs that aggro by sight.

I SEE HOW IT IS.

Kenai

On this subject.

In 3.0+, I'd like to see them offer at least One new Extreme Primal per month, plus, one previous Primal returning as a Savage Mode fight.

This would be a relatively easy way of normalizing content from that point on. New Primal fights likely take a whole lot of work, since they need to come up with models, music, whole new mechanics, etc etc etc. Reusing pre-existing Primals is likely still a decent amount of work, but probably a lot less so than making a primal from scratch.

As for what these fights should look like. I'd be tempted to go with 24 man trials, with roughly Coil level difficulty. They'd be a relative nightmare to pull together and execute, but, it'd still be something to do. XD

I don't see that as realistic, they aren't going to add such significant content outside patches.. Even if they came up with entirely new mechanics to add to the old fights (in that case why not just go the extra mile with new fights entirely?) they'd need to, at the very least, add new relevant drops or no one is going to care, and that by itself is work. Even doing the absolute bare-bones job of scaling up the fights to match whatever the current ilvl will be + retuning the gear rewards would probably be annoying.

My personal wish is that SE work more on enticing people in the fanbase to play around with the other content. Some people will never be interested in everything the game offers (and that's ok), but I bet a lot more people would if you didn't need a huge guide just to get started in gathering/crafting, for example. Or make some of the rewards for catching the rarest fish, harvesting the most annoying materials, and crafting the most annoying things go beyond hoping someone at the mb buys them for a huge markup before they become irrelevant.

I think it's genuinely silly some people feel they are done with the game after they gear up/get Coil on farm status, but then again i realize the incentive to do other things isn't really there if you aren't a completionist. A tiny note of text and a few achievement points alone isn't much to brag about. If they just do a fraction of the content (aka Coil + gearup friends) because that's all the feel is worth it, of course people are going to get bored before the new patch. I disagree in the sense that none of the other content is worth doing of course (otherwise I'd ignore it too) but I see little problem with finding ways to get more people interested.

Teknoman

I've skipped so many story cutscenes since 2.1...ain't nobody got time for that.

You monster! :(

In all seriousness, I really wish people wouldnt be so quick to skip boss / dungeon intro cutscenes or story cutscenes. I can understand if its your 3rd + time through of course. Maybe its just because I feel like im being rushed if its my first time, even if no one says anything.

I hope they do. Then more people will do it.

Agreed. Also if for the simple fact that I like cohesion in FF online games. Hell they even justified the reason for monster model size increase back in the day (something with Dalamud having an effect on the planet's aether or some stuff) with a story segment/some quests.

iammeiam

Skipping cutscenes is the only outlet for my rage at things like the uniform handout quests or "you just beat up the Lord of Levin, for your next challenge fight this one guy."

Teknoman

No way im skipping coil cutscenes when I finally get to Second and then Final. Too much important stuff in there...i'm sure has an impact on you if you watch before attempting whatever new section.

iammeiam

I think the only Coil cutscene I've watched is the T9 intro. Who has time to watch the post-fight scenes when there's
disappointing, non-bard
loot to be unboxed?

Eldren

My first goal after the patch is to gouge people for as much gil as humanly possible.

I plan on buying all the new caster gear for beautiful glamour purposes so I look forward to the GAF Discount(tm)

for real CL left, who's gonna carry us now other than her? I'm not paying denver maximillian aka "a guy we knew"

I see that guy offering Shiva carries in Limsa. Obviously putting his offers out there early

Do they ever delete old characters? I would like to transfer to Ultros, but someone already has my character's name.

Nope, never heard of a recent mmo that still did that either. Best way to think of it is, you get a name change with your transfer since it forces you to change if someone already has the name.

Sorian

Banned
Nope, never heard of a recent mmo that still did that either. Best way to think of it is, you get a name change with your transfer since it forces you to change if someone already has the name.

Recent MMOs delete names, no character data. So if those people ever came back, their character is there but they are forced to select a new name.

Might be tempted to watch all of the cutscenes if they didn't pile boring quests upon boring quests between the good stuff. After doing 12 in a row, you just want to get stuff over with.

Recent MMOs delete names, no character data. So if those people ever came back, their character is there but they are forced to select a new name.

Just wondering, which mmos do even this exactly? Only one I know of is WoW and it took them 10 years to decide they wanted to take the names away from people who haven't played since before 2009 or so, that's been the only time they've done that too.

Pyramidbread

Neo Member

Not to forget, A Realm Awoken's story had a quite a bit of "Go do this old dungeon/guildleve" rather than new content. Every other patch storyline since has been about new things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom