• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Plus Some more practice might help me (And my partner in crime, Alice :p ) not fuck up as much with an FC group.

The only thing I'd caution about practicing in DF is that depending on who else is running it ends up being really tough to get post-Divebombs practice because most of the time half the party is dead. You may luck into a good group, but like post-heart Titan EX seeing Twisters in T5 in DF is like a whole accomplishment on its own.

Gotta get gud if we're going to make it past T6 in the future after all.

Pft. Just trick people into letting you run with them and then get carried. Getting gud too much work.

Stuart444

The only thing I'd caution about practicing in DF is that depending on who else is running it ends up being really tough to get post-Divebombs practice because most of the time half the party is dead. You may luck into a good group, but like post-heart Titan EX seeing Twisters in T5 in DF is like a whole accomplishment on its own.

Sad thing is, we almost did it last time but somehow the Snakes got us AFTER surviving the second DB phase.

Sorian

Banned
T7 can be a nightmare. We nearly screwed it up last night, and I barely got off a much needed Shadowbind before the heavy wore off of a Renaud. Scary stuff. It's an annoying turn because DPS management is a thing. I don't know how the hell people are going to be able to reliably pug or even *shudders* farm t7. I got my stupid bracelets from that turn finally, so hopefully I can avoid it until it's nerfed into the ground.

This reminds me of a horror story that worked out perfectly. I saw that the timers were about to run out (I think the person with shriek died?) so I ran over with the intention to cast blizzard 2 and kill them all. They woke up as my cast went off so I figured "ah fuck, wipe" as they all bashed my face in except I forgot that blizzard 2 is a bind. They stayed put like good little cyclops and took the next voice like a bunch of champs.

Everything went better than expected.

Valor

Is 380 DPS good for a Dragoon in T8 that has Homing Missile and Brainjack responsibilities?

Make a bard do it. 380 is perfectly fine, I think. Brainjack shouldn't be much of a dps loss as long as you re-up Heavy Thrust before it. Homing Missiles either. Just gotta slap those Full Thrust combos on during that.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Make a bard do it. 380 is perfectly fine, I think. Brainjack shouldn't be much of a dps loss as long as you re-up Heavy Thrust before it. Homing Missiles either. Just gotta slap those Full Thrust combos on during that.

Yeah that is the only thing. If Heavy Thrust isn't applied at the right time the dps gets messed up and doing the Impulse Drive combo becomes tricky since you are no longer exactly on the rear of the enemy. You have to rely on FT combos that might be unbuffed.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

DRG got it, no problem.

iammeiam

Like the servers would have been up anyway.

How would you cap Poetics in an hour?!

Don't need to cap. If prices are consistent with soldiery, boots will be 495 poetics. Grabbing 45 in the hour between maint ending and reset would have added the first real week's cap of 450 total enough to buy boots or gloves or whatever.

gear will probably be all skill speed anyway, I'm just sick of Amon's inferior stuff.

scy

Don't need to cap. If prices are consistent with soldiery, boots will be 495 poetics. Grabbing 45 in the hour between maint ending and reset would have added the first real week's cap of 450 total enough to buy boots or gloves or whatever.

gear will probably be all skill speed anyway, I'm just sick of Amon's inferior stuff.

Oh, right. Not sure why I immediately thought of capping it.

This is my favourite part:

Well, that certainly is one way to put it.

Tapejara

Hey guys, I need some help setting this whole thing up:

I bought the PS4 version of FFXIV today (physical copy), but I'm unable to log in to my Square Enix account. When I try to create/activate a software token, the game tells me I'm unable to do so until I register the game. Here's a step-by-step of what I did:

• Inserted the disc into the PS4, installed the game and downloaded the launcher update and agreed to EULA.
  • Noticed in the game manual that I needed to enter the registration code. Opened PSN Store and entered code, it was successfully redeemed but gave me an error when downloading. Message was that the game was already downloading; however it did not appear in my download list. I assumed this was because I had already installed the content on the disc.
  • Started the game again, attempted to sign into my SE account. Can't login, I assumed because there was no one-time password.
  • Went to SE website to try and generate one time password, but option to generate a software token is locked, with a message saying I have to register the game (didn't I register it when I entered the PSN code?)
  • Attempt to follow SE's guide on installing/registering the PS4 version, unable to find solution to my one time password issue.
  • Delete all FFXIV data off my PS4. Re-enter PSN code, this time the download begins.

Now I'm downloading a 12GB file. Was the cause of my problem that I had not yet downloaded the 12GB file?

iammeiam

IIRC, Playstation signup adds the game to your SE account the first time you sign in. You just leave the one-time password box empty; you don't have to have one to sign in, and shouldn't set one up before logging in the first time. The process of logging in marries your SE and PSN accounts and adds the service code to your mog station account.

It's beed a while; the only thing I'm sure of is you don't need a one time password yet. Try again when it finishes downloading, I guess.

Tapejara

IIRC, Playstation signup adds the game to your SE account the first time you sign in. You just leave the one-time password box empty; you don't have to have one to sign in, and shouldn't set one up before logging in the first time. The process of logging in marries your SE and PSN accounts and adds the service code to your mog station account.

It's beed a while; the only thing I'm sure of is you don't need a one time password yet. Try again when it finishes downloading, I guess.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot when the download finished then.

Valor

Yeah that is the only thing. If Heavy Thrust isn't applied at the right time the dps gets messed up and doing the Impulse Drive combo becomes tricky since you are no longer exactly on the rear of the enemy. You have to rely on FT combos that might be unbuffed.
Yeah, my brother said allegedly you can re-up HT while stacked for Brainjack by slightly shifting left or right since you're at dead center, so there's that, too. You may be able to cheat similarly with Impulse Drive, but I don't think the risk is worth it.

DRG got it, no problem.
Lazy Bard. This is why I will soon surpass you, senpai.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, my brother said allegedly you can re-up HT while stacked for Brainjack by slightly shifting left or right since you're at dead center, so there's that, too. You may be able to cheat similarly with Impulse Drive, but I don't think the risk is worth it.

Lazy Bard. This is why I will soon surpass you, senpai.

Come at me, Galen-kun.

dark_chris

My group has some trouble holding it together for T9 than 6-8. Thankfully, 6-8 weren't much of a problem to us. Luckily, too, we saw all of Nael's rotation last night and got down to 27-30% last night.

iammeiam

Seriously debating two of each of the possible relic materia because I imagine ninja relic meld prices will be nuts. Also debating the merits of spamming dungeon hoping for a drop vs hoping I can get the precursor component to drop from a leve.

You suck all the fun out of things.

At long last, something I'm good at!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Some of the comments in that thread

laughter.gif

Mature

So if I purchased the Vegas premium stream for $20 and I want to watch the London stream I have to fork over another $20? Hahahanothanks

Taruranto

I really don't understand why there are people who want to go back to tanaka's 1.0... Maybe 1.23, but not Tanaka.

It's not too hard to understand, Tanaka is not just the 1.0. dude, his résumé is impressive and he worked on many beloved games, including FFXI.

1.0. was obviously an unfinished product that got released too early. (not surprisingly, given what a mess SE was back then)

What voice acting???????? you mean the 3 lines that actually have voices in whole freaking story.

I skipped every scene and rushed through the story line due this.

Yeah it is kind of jarring how they suddenly go from voice acting to no voice acting, and then back to voice acting again. I think I'd prefer no voice acting if that's the case. A lot of the side quests fall into the same category as far as I'm concerned. I've stopped reading a lot of them since its mostly excuses to do fetch quests.

Grand Company has a few things tied to it, but you can switch anyway. Mostly it's the look of the chocobo barding(assuming you use it obviously), the look of the glamour armor with allied seals from hunts(lvl 50 stuff and purely cosmetics) and frontlines overall win rate, which I believe flames is the worst at, though not sure how it is.

How hard is it to switch exactly? There isn't a long wait in between is there? Is the front line wins thing really important? I'm a MNK so I didn't think it really mattered, but now I find out Twin adder is best for DPS?

On voice acting, I'd recommend just turning the japanese voices on. Matter of taste obviously but I like them a lot more than the english ones. I think the story is pretty crappy until lvl 45+ or so, when the Garlean arc really kicks in. All the primal stuff is boring especially with all the garbage fillers inbetween. The 50 quests story is pretty nice also, at least some parts of it.

It's good to know I can switch from the english then. I'm kind of surprised cause usually FF games don't have really bad dubs. Not like this anyway. I really hope it does pick up when you say it does because so far the primal stuff has been way less interesting then it should be.

How hard is it to switch exactly? There isn't a long wait in between is there? Is the front line wins thing really important? I'm a MNK so I didn't think it really mattered, but now I find out Twin adder is best for DPS?

you can switch whenever you want (15 day lock out after you switch), but you start from the beginning (aka gotta rank up/do dungeons all over again).

Sorian

Banned
you can switch whenever you want (15 day lock out after you switch), but you start from the beginning (aka gotta rank up/do dungeons all over again).

But progress and seals are saved from any GCs that you switch out of. So if you were max rank and you ever switch back, you'll still be max rank.

BadRNG

I do around 385-390 if I am not being bad or sacrificing my body for the team in i108, and I do both brainjack and homing. Most of my dps loss actually comes at the end as I am overly paranoid with homing during that phase + I begin to do towers.

You can do both Heavy and Impulse during brainjack without issue, you just nudge either back a bit or to left or right. Takes practice but becomes very easy once you get the hang of it.

Finally our group is making progress on T9 :D. I think we're now comfortable at getting pass Heaven Falls phase. Now we just have to do fire-in, fire-out phase effectively. Look like what killing us now is thunder ball but I think with few more rounds of practice we can finally get pass this.

dramatis

From this thread I learned that this was a thing in 1.0:
Smallclothes no longer suffer wear, and therefore no longer require repairs.
Smallclothes which suffered wear prior to the version update have been restored to pristine condition, and all unsightly stains removed. This includes smallclothes within bazaars marked as "seeking repairs," which can be equipped as normal after they are removed from the bazaar.
Players had to repair our underwear, and they couldn't repair undies unless they were unequipped.

studyguy

From this thread I learned that this was a thing in 1.0:

Players had to repair our underwear, and they couldn't repair undies unless they were unequipped.

Honestly the fact that you can no longer repair other people's gear pisses me off.
It was a nice feature for those who didn't have a full crafter skill set when helping party members.

A lot of 1.0 was really ass backwards in retrospect. The fact that dyes used to be part of the crafting recipe never struck me as odd until I realized how limiting it was in light of ARR's dyes. Also lets not forget DEF as a stat was largely useless since the scaling on it was absurd. 1000 def to start a reasonable level of mitigation? I still remember what's his name on Sargatanas arguing that he was going to meld full DEF and saying he had no reason to dodge coincounter's AoEs because of his defense. Meanwhile we had dudes running primals naked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom