• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohar

Keeper's Hymn (stat reset token) 10000 -> 250
All Philosophy items 2500 -> 1500

Well, I guess I'll finally be able to unlock the recipes I lack.
Also, pretty neat if the stat reset token becomes so cheap. I wanted to play Summoner instead of Scholar for a change.

Sorian

Banned
I did the math on that T9. We actually did more damage than the boss had health. That one Lunar Dynamo. :p

Anyone who got hit by lunar dynamo at any point during the fight is kicked from the group, re-watching the tape.

Pretty sure I never did.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Sneak attack trick attack my my GOD

Mama IM COMING HOME

SATA coming back?

mog1.gif

BLCKATK

So my friend just purchased the game. I want to get him on Balmung with my main but when I try to make a new character on Balmung it is saying its locked. Do they post the times when populated servers are going to open anymore? Or should we just roll on another server?

Teknoman

lol paging pancakesandsx. SATA would be awesome.

Anyway, dinner, a little Bayonetta 2, then hopefully people will still be good for help night antics.

So my friend just purchased the game. I want to get him on Balmung with my main but when I try to make a new character on Balmung it is saying its locked. Do they post the times when populated servers are going to open anymore? Or should we just roll on another server?

wait till the night or w/e when not many ppl are on and try then. it should open up

Kenai

Lost in translation from the JP Patch Notes:

Looks like the new i80 rod is an achievement reward.

Well suddenly I don't feel quite so terrible catching all these fish.

Now if they rework some of these stats so i can kinda tell the difference...

Well definitely doesn't work at all like FFXI trick/sneak, kinda wish there was some threat management linked to one of them. Also seems trick is better in every case besides blowing up a particular mob that will die in less than 10seconds and/or doesn't cleave. I guess to an extent Goad is a threat management skill, by feeding tanks TP they could use less TP efficient rotation for more threat(aka OVERPOWERSPAMTILLYOUDROP).

The ninja has quite a bunch of keys, I've setup my keybindings in advance but it's a bit rough and I think I won't bother using mantra/featherfoot cause I don't have a binding for them unless I add more bindings(currently using 2x12+4 for every classes).

dcye

Oh, cool. Gives me some extra time to try and get T6 down before nerfs/echo buff.

edit: I may have missed this in the patch notes but for the Poetics weapon/armour, is it again, weathered -> unweathered?

If so, I may just go from Zenith -> Poetics weapon while I continue to work on my Atma/animus/novus/etc. Need to catch up but I've not changed my weapon since before the Atma ones came out lol.

You probably won't be able to do this, at least until 2.5. The Soldiery weapon required 1300 Sold and the Unidentified Tomestone, which only dropped in the second turn of SCoB for 3 months. Assuming they have a similar strategy here, unless you're at the forefront of raid progression you won't be getting a poetics weapon for a while.

I did the math on that T9. We actually did more damage than the boss had health. That one Lunar Dynamo. :p

Assuming you're using ACT this may not be true. DoTs don't damage Nael while he/she is offscreen but ACT still ticks them as damage in the parser (because DoT ticks are still estimations in parsers). SMN dps numbers in T9 are always skewed a little higher than they truly are because of this.

Torquill

Any reports of Drg demise are greatly exaggerated /eyeroll.

This is a mechanics game at the end of the day. If a dps can do their job, they're fine. This isn't XI.

I got so used to doing that, not having invigorate anymore hurts :(

The guide you linked is really the only thing you need. Normal dungeon tanking is Tomahawk main target(or provoke if you need to pull from further without aggroing patrols or whatnot) > Overpower x2 > Maim combo > Butcher Block combo and keep alternating, spreading the attacks to keep aggro. Overpower once more if needed, Flash if you're out of TP and a stupid DPS aggro the next pack or if the mobs are being uncooperative with overpower lining up(rare but happens). Use the stun inbetween attacks since it's off GCD, use DPS cooldowns when they're up, use defensive stuff when the pull is big.

Stuart444

The guide you linked is really the only thing you need. Normal dungeon tanking is Tomahawk main target(or provoke if you need to pull from further without aggroing patrols or whatnot) > Overpower x2 > Maim combo > Butcher Block combo and keep alternating, spreading the attacks to keep aggro. Overpower once more if needed, Flash if you're out of TP and a stupid DPS aggro the next pack or if the mobs are being uncooperative with overpower lining up(rare but happens). Use the stun inbetween attacks since it's off GCD, use DPS cooldowns when they're up, use defensive stuff when the pull is big.

Thanks for the tips. First time playing a tank in an MMO so just a tad nervous.

(also once I have him at 50, I'll have one of each role at 50 :D though I probably won't do too much hard stuff outside of ST/next CT raid with my tank >_> )

So I think I'm going to give up on Scholar and just play on my 50 PLD.

Going through all the early content again is just too much and I was having infinitely more fun once I switched back to PLD since the class just feels better to me and I can continue with the story and unlocking the remaining dungeons/trials.

BadRNG

Someone put together a rough nin rotation guide.

I actually misread the original patch notes (thought Huton was 70second cooldown not duration), and I'm kinda flabbergasted at how powerful ninja seems to be. They basically can have GL3 up full time with no cost, have 20% extra damage, have higher potency then mnk, have base fists of wind type trait for boosted run speed(unless that was cut), can silence at will, can TP regen themselves, have decent aoe, have great burst, and to top it off can provide a 10% damage buff to party.

It's like they gave them all the best parts of MNK/DRG but gave them none of the bad. Seems like only "downside" to the class is remembering mandra combinations, but people can just macro that.

Stuart444

I actually misread the original patch notes (thought Huton was 70second cooldown not duration), and I'm kinda flabbergasted at how powerful ninja seems to be. They basically can have GL3 up full time with no cost, have 20% extra damage, have higher potency then mnk, have base fists of wind type trait for boosted run speed(unless that was cut), can silence at will, can TP regen themselves, have decent aoe, have great burst, and to top it off can provide a 10% damage buff to party.

It's like they gave them all the best parts of MNK/DRG but gave them none of the bad. Seems like only "downside" to the class is remembering mandra combinations, but people can just macro that.

Nerfs incoming in the patch after 2.4

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Yeah I can see them nerfing ninja at some point. Rain of Death 2.0.

K.Sabot

Maybe they could restrict Mantras from being macro'd?

And of course mess with some potencies, maybe nerf the % damage. Also I'm pretty sure they couldn't TP regen themselves, goad's description says "Refreshes TP of a single party member."

Well on Goad the way I see it, it can only be cast on others, makes no sense to Goad yourself anyway, and you have Invigorate regardless. Goad is like utility stuff, kinda like Apocastasis, Mantra and such. Can Goad tanks for TP which is gonna be great, and Wars can debuff slash for you, that love story.

The 10% raid wide has poor uptime(you need Hide to cast it, which apparently Suiton can also provide but since you also need to Huton yourself and Ninjutsu most likely has 20-30secs cd, while Trick attack has 10secs duration, it's not that much uptime), though is still kinda nice especially for a burn phase.

Poison still puts the damage buff lower than GL3 monks. Monks is 15%speed and 27%dmg, 32% with the 5% from Fists of Fire, Nin is 15%speed 20%dmg, so kinda need to see how the rest compare. The potency on Ninja stuff is a ton higher though, so don't know how it adds up.

scy

Yeah, I read through the list of stuff and gave it a "Uh ... this sounds too good, time to be a Ninja."

Will be really interesting to see it played out and not just theoretical numbers, though.

Nerfs incoming in the patch after 2.4

To be in the 2.401 hotfix.

On Wednesday night.

The 10% raid wide has poor uptime(you need Hide to cast it, which apparently Suiton can also provide but since you also need to Huton yourself and Ninjutsu most likely has 20-30secs cd, while Trick attack has 10secs duration, it's not that much uptime), though is still kinda nice especially for a burn phase.

That and Trick has a 60s cooldown anyway. The most likely case is self-buff, Trick, and Raiton will be the three Ninjutsus rotate.

Rocwell

I just want to point out that we don't know what kind of Damage rating dagger weapons will have yet. They will probably be the lowest rated of all the physical dps including the tanking classes I would bet, but with their high potency attacks they will crit for huge damage, which tends to be common for these assassin type classes in rpgs.

Also the cooldown on ninjutsu makes it seem like ninja will have to pick and choose how they want to spend their casts depending on several factors like how many monsters they're fighting etc.

I just want to point out that we don't know what kind of Damage rating dagger weapons will have yet. They will probably be the lowest rated of all the physical dps including the tanking classes I would bet, but with their high potency attacks they will crit for huge damage, which tends to be common for these assassin type classes in rpgs.

Also the cooldown on ninjutsu makes it seem like ninja will have to pick and choose how they want to spend their casts depending on several factors like how many monsters they're fighting etc.

That's a good point, would explain the high potency with a dmg buff that's fairly close to monks.

The ninjutsu stuff is gonna be priority based kinda like how the rotation stuff says. Basically you always want the 15%speed buff obviously, then you want to trick attack as often as possible due to stupid high potency and the 10%debuff, then when the rest is not up you either Raiton for single or Katon for aoe, with maybe Doton for very large aoe/aoe kiting(it's the first sustained aoe heavy, very good to kite stuff in circles). Seems fairly straight forward and the combos are pretty easy too, I thought they'd be more complex, kinda like dota's Invoker.

Interesting fact about the class though is a good amount of ranged dmg possibilities.

hmm don't decimal values (like 1.5, etc) not really work in macros? if the cool down on mudras is like 0.5 sec then you'd have to use a wait of 1 second or something.

I think they work now. That said it still depends on timing and stuff, if you can use them very fast but not instantly, then manually will be better, if there's a small cd inbetween each mudra then macros will be as good, though not sure if you're meant to use 3mudras then ninjutsu or if you weave each mudra during the GCD of a skill then ninjutsu(basically similar to how you stagger cooldowns and stuff to not clip your main rotation and lose DPS).

Edit: Seems not apparently based on google, they accept the decimals but still round up or down, so that'd make macros terrible in most cases, since 0secs is probably going to be too short and 1sec way too long to input 3different mudras+ninjutsu. Maybe if you weave the mudras between skills, 2secs would be the right amount with attackspeed reducing the GCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom