• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

So, how do we expect Dark Knight tanking to work? Vampiric Self Heal Tank? I mean, I kinda figured that since WAR already did this, they'd go for something else....

....but maybe they'll just, dial it up to eleven? Give Dark Knight a metric ton of Vampiric Self Heal abilities? I mean, so long as their HP is high enough to avoid one shots, that, SHOULD work.

BadRNG

So, how do we expect Dark Knight tanking to work? Vampiric Self Heal Tank? I mean, I kinda figured that since WAR already did this, they'd go for something else....

....but maybe they'll just, dial it up to eleven? Give Dark Knight a metric ton of Vampiric Self Heal abilities? I mean, so long as their HP is high enough to avoid one shots, that, SHOULD work.
Self heal tanks are a pain in the ass to balance and we may end up with WAR 2.0, they probably want to avoid that situation. I'm sure there will be some self heals but I hope they don't base the class's tanking ability entirely around it. I played Blood DK for awhile in WoW and it was a constant rollarcoaster of being underpowered or overpowered.

Someone said they mentioned it being a parry/magic tank, right? (I don't know, I didn't watch the stream) Maybe a sizeable boost to parry chance, and perhaps an on-demand cooldown parry. Magic effects that absorb damage (like ald). Then there are the entire line of absorb skills they could work in, to keep it balanced they'd probably only effect the DRK, but you could say absorb a % of a bosses attack - lowering their damage to you alone but increasing yours. This would actually be a decent way to balance them depending on fight if they added a mechanic like that to the self heals, so you'd be getting massive self heals on a Nael-like fight to keep you alive but you'd have much lower heals on a Dark Helmet you find out in the wild.

orion434

I hope the Beast Tribe Oaknots won't be a bottleneck for the new Crafting Gear. I wish I waited 1 day to cash in 45 Oaknots :(

I also have 2 Gryphonskin sets to convert to Materia, going to wait on those if they decide to go back to ilv 70 gear guaranteeing Type IV's.

ilium

Just saw the add on preview and i have to say, getting difficult to resist jumping back in. ; ;

I'm gonna wait for the last class announcement..

If it turns out to be musketeer > redmage, something i've been hoping for a long time i will resub immediately

Yoshi Please

Reveirg

God damnit I want to watch the premium stream

I purchased it last weekend and I'm dumbfounded that I'd have to pay again for it today. No way I'm giving them a total of 40$ for what is essentially promotion of their game.

20$ was totally worth it last weekend, please take my money S-E

Teknoman

Ok so people who leveled up Paladin and Warrior, how do you handle which tank you play as?

I know im gonna want to be Paladin + Dark Knight now, but I have no idea how i'll choose what I want to tank as lol.

saher

Banned
People in my FC (Never tank before) already saying they will play DRK ,its already working.

Gunner healer would attract more people too.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Flying in action looks great. That poor Black Chocobo though, he really has to flap those wings to fly lol

Valor

Ok so people who leveled up Paladin and Warrior, how do you handle which tank you play as?

I know im gonna want to be Paladin + Dark Knight now, but I have no idea how i'll choose what I want to tank as lol.

I just play WAR because it's more fun. If PLD is needed I'll swap to it instead, like OT on Levi EX or... uhh... I guess OT on T5? Other than that, WAR all the way.

Uthred

Have to say the upcoming expansion reveals and 2.4 are pretty enticing, but not having played since pre 2.1 I was wondering is there any kind of story summary floating around as I need some context for my grind and cant remember what the fuck was going on ;)

WolvenOne

Have to say the upcoming expansion reveals and 2.4 are pretty enticing, but not having played since pre 2.1 I was wondering is there any kind of story summary floating around as I need some context for my grind and cant remember what the fuck was going on ;)

Okay, 2.1.

The story in that patch basically comes down to, "there are a lot more masked villain guys running around."

Also: Minfillia's mom, I guess. The post end game story doesn't really pick up until you get to the 2.2 stuff.

WolvenOne

Also: unless it's Chemist, I don't think a gun using healer class would really work.

Chemist as a class would work, but I also think it'd be a bit of a hybrid job. Specifically, between healer and support-DPS. If so, it'd probably be a really, uh, active job.

Again though, Chemist is really the only gun using job I can think of, that also functioned as a healer. So if it were anything else it'd be, weird.

Also, on the subject of 11 fans.

They seem to know that 11s days are numbered, and that it won't be getting any more serious expansions, let alone updates that would put it on par with 14, visually. I've encountered many, who are quite open that they want 14 to become a prettier version of 11, and all their complaints and suggestions are centered around this goal.

Honestly, I think the attitude is both unrealistic, and kinda silly.

Besides, between Hunts and the Relic weapons, I think 14 has done a much as can be reasonably be expected to scratch that itch.

Teremap

Banned
I'm going to just take a moment to say I TOLD YOU SO.

Of COURSE the new jobs weren't going to have base classes. There was absolutely no way they were going to introduce a system where base classes share multiple weapons that also happen to be job-specific. It'd just be too weird.

Anyway, yeah. DRK being a tank is a real curveball. Wasn't expecting that at all.

Ploid 3.0

FFXI fans just need to go back to playing XI.

I wish they would do a ffxi graphics update or dat co op now gen consoles remake. Online mp rebalanced for sp with gambits or 1 - 5 buddies. I'd hang every other game up. I will have won gaming.

FFXII HD will have to do until then. Still so awesome. Needs a camera zoom out mod badly.

I gave up on FFXIV classes being as awesome as the ffxi versions. I fear how thief would have turned out, beastmaster and dancer also. Global cooldown gameplay alone would make them quite different

BadRNG

I "main" PLD simply because my group needed a PLD, outside of coil I usually use WAR. Just go with whatever you enjoy more or the group needs more, no real science to it.

People in my FC (Never tank before) already saying they will play DRK ,its already working.

Gunner healer would attract more people too.
There will be a ton of people playing it at first, but like with any other healer/tank the people playing it will drop when the "new shiny" feel wears off and they realize they'd rather pew pew than tank. Remember the influx of WAR following the buffs? Or to go back further the army of arcanist at launch due to it being added in late. I'd be really surprised if this seriously affects the amount of tanks at cap doing content much.

You can't get people to do a role like tanking or healing just from making the class look cool, if the player doesn't like that kind of gameplay they likely never will.

Also: unless it's Chemist, I don't think a gun using healer class would really work.

Chemist as a class would work, but I also think it'd be a bit of a hybrid job. Specifically, between healer and support-DPS. If so, it'd probably be a really, uh, active job. Again though, Chemist is really the only gun using job I can think of, that also functioned as a healer. So if it were anything else it'd be, weird.
Don't think they are going to do a real hybrid class. And Agent in FFTA could heal, used a gun, and given the hints Yoshida dropped it may be Agent.

Wilsongt

Chemist as a class would work, but I also think it'd be a bit of a hybrid job. Specifically, between healer and support-DPS. If so, it'd probably be a really, uh, active job.

Again though, Chemist is really the only gun using job I can think of, that also functioned as a healer. So if it were anything else it'd be, weird.

Also, on the subject of 11 fans.

They seem to know that 11s days are numbered, and that it won't be getting any more serious expansions, let alone updates that would put it on par with 14, visually. I've encountered many, who are quite open that they want 14 to become a prettier version of 11, and all their complaints and suggestions are centered around this goal.

Honestly, I think the attitude is both unrealistic, and kinda silly.

Besides, between Hunts and the Relic weapons, I think 14 has done a much as can be reasonably be expected to scratch that itch.

Gun Mage. Yuna to be introduced in 3.0. Please look forward to it.

I can't even imagine the bombs they are saving for Tokyo now. I hope they will have all their translators and stuff for Tokyo's Fan Fest cause I wanna buy that stream.

Mupod

unlikely, I'd say they learned their lesson. Maybe they'll be more debuff-focused or have more ranged attacks. I'm personally expecting it to have a unique mechanic but otherwise play fairly similarly to the existing tanks.

At any rate adding a darknedgy (like my soul) two handed sword tank class didn't exactly work out well for WoW. I remember the death knight stigma got so bad at one point I had people dropping from my groups just because I was playing a tank death knight...and I can't say I blame them after having played with other DKs. Didn't fix queue times either, assuming those are still bad in FF14.

EriksBlue

Banned
emUoxSl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom