• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't really like the no base class thing since it points at them moving away from the class>multiple jobs split. There just seems to be a lot they could have done with that, using it as the only real customization of the character. Picking what split for what classes you want to focus on more.

phierce

Don't really like the no base class thing since it points at them moving away from the class>multiple jobs split. There just seems to be a lot they could have done with that, using it as the only real customization of the character. Picking what split for what classes you want to focus on more.
There's zero customization now with the class>job system.

There's really only one correct way to allocate your points and only certain cross class skills that everyone takes.

What's the difference?

Eldren

When will Final Fantasy X invade Eorzea so I can get Lulu's dress for my BLM. If not and it instead ends up in the cash shop one day I would probably drop an offensive amount of money for it.

Anyway the London FanFest was fun. Some interesting information, some gorgeous concept art, and it got me even more excited for the Tokyo show although it's still like 8 weeks away... I agree that it'll be the one to watch (GUN CLASS FINALLY)

Until then, 2.4 hype

Nohar

The Dark Knight's artwork is beautiful and powerful. I've never been that much interested in that job, but gosh, I can't resist now, I want to play it.

As for the Gunner, a Chemist would be nice indeed!

BadRNG

At any rate adding a darknedgy (like my soul) two handed sword tank class didn't exactly work out well for WoW. I remember the death knight stigma got so bad at one point I had people dropping from my groups just because I was playing a tank death knight...and I can't say I blame them after having played with other DKs. Didn't fix queue times either, assuming those are still bad in FF14.
Yeah, like I said, design alone won't convince many people to play roles they don't like. And the few that it will convince probably aren't good at that role to begin with. The amount of Blood DKs you'd see with zero concept of rune management was sad.

I loved the system though, and it'd be neat if DRK has unique management mechanic as well.

BadRNG

There's zero customization now with the class>job system.

There's really only one correct way to allocate your points and only certain cross class skills that everyone takes.

What's the difference?
I think the point was that it provided a base that customization could of been built on, right now it's not really used as well as it could be and is there as a gimmick/hold over from 1.0

Nose Master

Guess samurai will be a DPS then

There's no way the gun class isint a healer

Atleast I hope not

Worked for Xenoblade.

I loved Dark Knight in 11, but why did it have to be a tank class? I'm sure it will utilize drain spells and damage spikes, but ffs. I just want to cast Dread Spikes, pop Soul Eater, and "tank" for about 30 seconds until the mob crushes me into a fine paste. Is that too much to ask?

Also, i'm glad they're ditching the base class shit. They're pointless outside of ridiculously case specific shit like pvp.

EDIT: Actually... if they implied it's a parry tank, I wonder if it will have something similar to Utsusemi. Dark magic "shadows" that absorb hits.

I wish you could spec classes down different paths, or make creative builds with gear. It's how Ninja evolved into a tank class, and warrior (d?)evolved into a DD in XI. With the gear options as they stand, everyone has to do their cookie cutter role.

gryvan

emUoxSl.jpg

wait...no base class involved?

whaaaaaaa?

Teremap

Banned
Also, i'm glad they're ditching the base class shit. They're pointless outside of ridiculously case specific shit like pvp.
To be fair, base classes are good for roleplayers who don't want to play the special snowflake MC shit.

But yeah, outside of lore reasons they really don't have any mechanical reasons to exist.

wait...no base class involved?

whaaaaaaa?

Seems to me like they are going to phase out the Armory system completely, one of the last vestiges of 1.0's class design.

They already limited in 2.0 it to the point where you are only allowed to cross-class a few things anyways, and of those choices there is always a "right" answer. I guess the writing has been on the wall this whole time, but most people (including me) failed to see it.

BLCKATK

Seems to me like they are going to phase out the Armory system completely, one of the last vestiges of 1.0's class design.

They already limited in 2.0 it to the point where you are only allowed to cross-class a few things anyways, and of those choices there is always a "right" answer. I guess the writing has been on the wall this whole time, but most people (including me) failed to see it.

I'm thinking that there is a good chance that advanced jobs (AKA: Every job that is released after A Realm Reborn) will not have base classes and you won't be able to begin the game as them. Feels kind of like XI with the six original jobs and then every expansion they added more, but it wasn't like you could begin the game as Dark Knight, Bard, or Summoner.

Rogue breaks that mold in a way, so we'll have to see.

BadRNG

I'm thinking that there is a good chance that advanced jobs (AKA: Every job that is released after A Realm Reborn) will not have base classes and you won't be able to begin the game as them. Feels kind of like XI with the six original jobs and then every expansion they added more, but it wasn't like you could begin the game as Dark Knight, Bard, or Summoner.

Rogue breaks that mold in a way, so we'll have to see.
IIRC they said you can't start with rogue either, you have to get to level 10 first and then go to the guild like other classes. So they may very well be going that route.

As long as we can always job switch to whatever we want, I don't really care if the exact mechanics of the class system are done away with.

The interview I saw yesterday from YoshiP basically summated to they're aiming to give PLD even safer and more stable abilities while giving WAR more complex and robust actions.

I see. I'll be happy if they add at least one active damage ability (preferably with a flashy animation) to PLD.

PLD? Awesome levels? Is this real life. PLD is one of the most stale and boring classes I've ever played in any game.

When going through my normal (only) rotation in dungeons I like to imagine that I'm actually playing Final Fantasy May Cry 14 and that the PLD is one of most mechanically deep and satisfying classes to play ever created. It's worked well for me so far.

At any rate adding a darknedgy (like my soul) two handed sword tank class didn't exactly work out well for WoW. I remember the death knight stigma got so bad at one point I had people dropping from my groups just because I was playing a tank death knight...and I can't say I blame them after having played with other DKs. Didn't fix queue times either, assuming those are still bad in FF14.

Not sure when that was but during wotlk, DKs were the best tanks for most of it(all of it? I quit before Icecrown Citadel) and they were also top tier DPS and top tier PvP. Pretty sure they had to tone down that crap in Cataclysm. I don't remember any stigma when I played mine as a tank in pubs(obviously in guild raids there wasn't an issue) because you could just drop Death and Decay and aoe tank everything without doing anything else so even terrible tanks were doing better as a DK than as a Warrior(which at the time was unnecessarily complicated).

But yeah won't probably fix any queue time, tank players play tank classes and DPS players play DPS classes, regardless. Some people might be tempted to switch but the playstyle is so different that a lot of people don't really care much. Plus if the DPS class is Samurai, then it's going to be fairly easy to see just as many people pumped up about that than about DRKs.

Ploid 3.0

I don't know who the guy is in the last picture but I was expecting something on there as I scrolled down such as "Don't believe his lies."

CLBridges

Didn't expect them to drop as much info. as they have about the expansion, looking to be pretty great though. I'm excited for 2.4 although I won't get to try Final Coil anytime soon, I'll catch some streams and youtube vids though. Of course Rogue/Ninja is the biggest draw for alot of people (including myself). I need to beat Ramuh X this weekend hopefully :/, but might wait until after update since it will be raining ponies then lol.

I actually wonder about that, they didn't specify how much they were increasing pony drop rates unlike Atma where they specifically said it was being doubled.

Of course double of 0.1% is still only 0.2%. Unless they multiply pony drop rates by 10, I still think they they will be awfully rare drops.

Ploid 3.0

I watched the US (I think) fan fest or open letter, and they wanted the crowd to get the Japan players to buy tickets by cheering. It seem the event is more popular outside of Japan, so why don't they save the good stuff for those and start the tour in Japan?

Edit: Yes Las Vegas Fan Festival.

Tabris

Please tell me you guys weren't still in there since this afternoon. You may have broken the 7 hour T9 clear if so. Also, congrats :D

6 hours today. About 20-30 hours total is what I will guess. We've been doing it serious for about a month. About 4-5hrs per week spaced out. Then this 6hr run. With breaks in between.

And thanks! Much appreciated.

Kenai

Self heal tanks are a pain in the ass to balance and we may end up with WAR 2.0, they probably want to avoid that situation. I'm sure there will be some self heals but I hope they don't base the class's tanking ability entirely around it. I played Blood DK for awhile in WoW and it was a constant rollarcoaster of being underpowered or overpowered.

Someone said they mentioned it being a parry/magic tank, right? (I don't know, I didn't watch the stream) Maybe a sizeable boost to parry chance, and perhaps an on-demand cooldown parry. Magic effects that absorb damage (like ald). Then there are the entire line of absorb skills they could work in, to keep it balanced they'd probably only effect the DRK, but you could say absorb a % of a bosses attack - lowering their damage to you alone but increasing yours. This would actually be a decent way to balance them depending on fight if they added a mechanic like that to the self heals, so you'd be getting massive self heals on a Nael-like fight to keep you alive but you'd have much lower heals on a Dark Helmet you find out in the wild.

Lttp, but I figured DRK would be tank if it was gonna be wearing plate like WAR n PLD. SAM will probably be wearing armor similar to DRG.

.I don't see DRK being heavy on parry, that will probably be for a Fencer/Runefencer type job. I could see them doing some magic though. 11 DRKs had a lot of absorb spells. so i was thinking instead of "normal' tank CDs like straight PLD+ defense stuff or + healing like WAR they could have something like Absorb STR to reduce the damage they take from the mob while giving themselves more stats (could give mob a debuff thing afterwards like with Virus). Give DRKs mini shields when they drain instead of raw healing so they "heal" but it's different from WAR too, Make these moves cause aggro and presto, special snowflake tank

Also if Musketeer stays based in Limsa I wouldn't be surrised to see a Corsair type class which was a counterpart to Bard in 11, especially since we don't have another ranged physical class. But if not that, a healing-type Chemist or Agent class wouldn't totally surprise me. It's been done before in and out of FF and the devs did say that the gun class wouldn't be what we expected (and most expect a DPS class I'd wager)

Kyari

.I don't see DRK being heavy on parry, that will probably be for a Fencer/Runefencer type job. I could see them doing some magic though

I was at the keynote, they stated dark knight would be parry based and dark magic. (But not "evil")

Personally for DRK I was thinking some mechanics based on health loss would give it flavor. Stuff like, Pay 20% of your current life, gain 20% mitigation for X secs. At 100%, that's pretty much a pure buff since the buff lasts for probably longer than it takes to lose 20%health, but the interesting part is you could pop it right after taking a big hit to only lose a small amount of hp(if you're at 40% health, 20% is only 8% of your total health) and still get the same mitigation. Drains/stat transfers also sound fairly DRKish and tend to be common for non FF dark knights too, STR/VIT transfer or whatever would be kinda cool to have, especially since it'd be also useful as an OT kinda like Storm's Path(or Eye I can never remember which is which), which reduces dmg on the PLD MT even when you're DPSing. Using shadows, I could also see Shadow Step and ranged threat moves(Shadow Bolts and such), which would give them flavor over just the "throw one thing at mobs but mostly melee" tanks. Auras could also be something they get, negative auras mostly.

There's plenty of ways to make it work I'd say and still make it quite different from other tanks.

Definitely looking forward more to the healer though. Scholar was a pretty cool class conceptually, pet healers are very rare in mmos and a lot of their abilities like the charge based Aether stuff gives it a nice rythm. I'd hope for a Blood Mage type of healer which does damage to heal. Don't have much interest in guns for healing unless it comes with cool mechanics, if it's just visuals eh whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom