• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started healing on Scholar today after I hit 30 and unlocked it last night.

been really enjoying it. A nice change of pace from Monk. Honestly I think I'm a better ranged class player and it's showing already. I can feel myself improving every run too. From micromanaging Eos' positioning to stance dancing with Cleric stance to put some good DPS out, I'm getting more precise and quicker every dungeon.

It's a lot of fun. Really active, makes me really enjoy healing in this game. I'll probably main healer going forward, honestly.

Teremap

Banned
I actually wonder about that, they didn't specify how much they were increasing pony drop rates unlike Atma where they specifically said it was being doubled.

Of course double of 0.1% is still only 0.2%. Unless they multiply pony drop rates by 10, I still think they they will be awfully rare drops.
They didn't say double, they said more than double. Could be double and a half, could be triple, could be quadruple... we won't know until the patch actually hits on Tuesday.

Seems to me like they are going to phase out the Armory system completely, one of the last vestiges of 1.0's class design.
Sounds like the Armory system is why we don't have nice things (from the Reddit LVFF interview):
Reddit: Let's move a bit safer back to our Free Company houses. We've been told: there's the possibility of getting personal gardens in our Free Company rooms. Is there any updates to this?

Yoshida: One of the biggest problems for adding things like this is our save data problem. Right now anything that is connected to the player and might have some kind of progression takes up a lot of data. Right now one of the biggest things in the game is "we need more inventory slots, we need more inventory slots" but players need to realize that takes up a lot of memory and this type of gardening would do the same thing. Right now every fifteen seconds the game is going and checking in with our back end servers and writing save data to those. I think that's the most in the world for any MMORPG. We're doing the most writing. And we think that's what keeps our game stable. The more that we add to this means that instead of every fifteen seconds we'd have to extend that because there's going to be a lot more writing going on. And when you do a lot more writing it brings down the stability of the game because it authors opportunities for rollbacks in there as well and that's something you want to avoid. The reason why we've ended up at this fifteen second rate and writing so much data, more than any other MMORPG, is because of the armory system that we chose. If it was one character with one job there'd be less to write. But again because we have one character, ALL the jobs that makes a lot of save data that needs to be accessed at the same time. Still in 3.0 we're working on a new way to expand the save data area. And right now the development team all know how much we're adding so the development team is all battling for a piece. Basically it's up to the crafting and gathering team to go in there and say "No we need this for gardening!". So it's something we can do once we've added a little bit more. We understand that players do want to raise something personally in their own rooms but the thing is that you have to put weight on it. Compared to raising your own Chocobo which one do we choose? And right now we've decided more players are looking forward to raising their own Chocobo. So that's what we're doing. But it's not something we're going to ignore. We know that players want it but it comes down to priorities.

BadRNG

Lttp, but I figured DRK would be tank if it was gonna be wearing plate like WAR n PLD. SAM will probably be wearing armor similar to DRG.

Also if Musketeer stays based in Limsa I wouldn't be surrised to see a Corsair type class which was a counterpart to Bard in 11, especially since we don't have another ranged physical class. But if not that, a healing-type Chemist or Agent class wouldn't totally surprise me. It's been done before in and out of FF and the devs did say that the gun class wouldn't be what we expected (and most expect a DPS class I'd wager)
SAM have usually worn heavy armor/plate though in past games, in several they could even use shields. That's part of the reason I think they make more sense as tank.

If they are moving towards a classless world we may never see a use for that corsair guild, but who knows. We definitely could use another physical ranged, we're at three melee now. I wonder how much we'll find out about the expansion in December, a total job count would be nice. I'd be surprised if SAM is the final after the gun class since we just got a physical dps in NIN.

Sounds like the Armory system is why we don't have nice things (from the Reddit LVFF interview):
Code for PS3 limitations imo.

Wilsongt

If I don't see any Naruto characters or people with Naruto names running around as a rogue/ninja next week I will be legit disappointed.

Redx508

3684114-d.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
After finishing crafts, I am finishing leveling Miner and Botanist.

The leves for these jobs SUCK.

I'm on the lvl 45 leves for Miner, and the exp is terrible. Highest exp fisher leve would give over 70. Twice that if you did HQ, and even more if you did one of the repeatable leves. On crafting, 100k was average for leves at the top levels, and that's before the x2 if you turned in HQ.

Miner. Even with max bonuses, 80k seems to be it. Why can't they be like the fisher ones and just ask you for a certain ore to turn in....

Frumix

Suffering From Success
For the record, Sasuke is a typical "pop culture ninja" name originating from at least late XIX century. Don't hate. But I'd rather see Jiraiyas myself.

Korten

Banned
Question for ya'll.

So I have 2 level 50's (a monk with i100 gear) and Paladin (with i90/70 gear) and I've never touched the Coil as compared to Crystal Tower, it seems a bit too... hardcore, at least with my minimal knowledge.

Am I going to be left behind? Cause isn't it only through Coil you can get i100+ gear?

Or will there be more raids like Crystal Tower?

Valor

For the record, Sasuke is a typical "pop culture ninja" name originating from at least late XIX century. Don't hate. But I'd rather see Jiraiyas myself.
Ninja snob.
Question for ya'll.

So I have 2 level 50's (a monk with i100 gear) and Paladin (with i90/70 gear) and I've never touched the Coil as compared to Crystal Tower, it seems a bit too... hardcore, at least with my minimal knowledge.

Am I going to be left behind? Cause isn't it only through Coil you can get i100+ gear?

Or will there be more raids like Crystal Tower?
There will be more Crystal Towers, like Sircus Tower and there will be another one of those in 2.5, so they said. You can get i100+ gear without coil, definitely. You can buy gear with tomes you can earn doing a bunch of stuff that will be i120 in patch 2.4. These can upgrade to i130, which is on par with coil gear. The only thing that coil gives you, typically, is a slightly stronger weapon. You can get comparable gear without stepping foot into coil, however.

You can get i110 next patch with soldiery, which replaces the current myth tomes, so basically you get them from hunts, dungeons, duty roulette, beastman daillies and such, so very easy. The next tier will also be buyable with poetics, i130 I think it was? Or maybe i120 with upgrade to i130 but upgrade not available for people who don't do coil until 2.5, so something like that.

They're adding the final part of crystal tower in 2.5.

scosher

No base-class for DRK? I'm hoping this is a sign SE is willing to revamp the entire class/armoury system in the expansion. It limits the game more than expands upon it. We could still have job switching on one toon without having it tied to our weapon. We could still have cross-class skills without base classes.

As more and more jobs get added, the loot tables are just going to get more and more diluted. I remember people speculated that DRK would be the second job to branch from the Gladiator class, but I'm glad Square is moving away from that mindset. It's much more difficult for them to make a unique job that still has to share the same toolset as the PLD.

I hope they address character customization in another way (as well as more interesting gear itemization) in the expansion though.

Korten

Banned
You can get i110 next patch with soldiery, which replaces the current myth tomes, so basically you get them from hunts, dungeons, duty roulette, beastman daillies and such, so very easy. The next tier will also be buyable with poetics, i130 I think it was? Or maybe i120 with upgrade to i130 but upgrade not available for people who don't do coil until 2.5, so something like that.

They're adding the final part of crystal tower in 2.5.

There will be more Crystal Towers, like Sircus Tower and there will be another one of those in 2.5, so they said. You can get i100+ gear without coil, definitely. You can buy gear with tomes you can earn doing a bunch of stuff that will be i120 in patch 2.4. These can upgrade to i130, which is on par with coil gear. The only thing that coil gives you, typically, is a slightly stronger weapon. You can get comparable gear without stepping foot into coil, however.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it won't be too tough. :) Cause I LOVE raiding in stuff like CT, but since I know that groups really do the whole: "Be on at this time and ready to do Coil", (at least I think) I don't think I would be able to keep up. :(

plake

Started healing on Scholar today after I hit 30 and unlocked it last night.

been really enjoying it. A nice change of pace from Monk. Honestly I think I'm a better ranged class player and it's showing already. I can feel myself improving every run too. From micromanaging Eos' positioning to stance dancing with Cleric stance to put some good DPS out, I'm getting more precise and quicker every dungeon.

It's a lot of fun. Really active, makes me really enjoy healing in this game. I'll probably main healer going forward, honestly.

That is a great story. Healing in XIV is very fun. Eos makes lv 30-50 blaze by. I'm surprised you dps at that lv though, I never did. Usually easier at higher lv. Oh well keep enjoying it!

Jarate

Banned
No base-class for DRK? I'm hoping this is a sign SE is willing to revamp the entire class/armoury system in the expansion. It limits the game more than expands upon it. We could still have job switching on one toon without having it tied to our weapon. We could still have cross-class skills without base classes.

As more and more jobs get added, the loot tables are just going to get more and more diluted. I remember people speculated that DRK would be the second job to branch from the Gladiator class, but I'm glad Square is moving away from that mindset. It's much more difficult for them to make a unique job that still has to share the same toolset as the PLD.

I hope they address character customization in another way (as well as more interesting gear itemization) in the expansion though.

would love for them to just make it so Gladiator is its own seperate that can choose to be a Paladin or keep leveling gladiator to 50 with new skills

give it like a DPS stance to make it different

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That is a great story. Healing in XIV is very fun. Eos makes lv 30-50 blaze by. I'm surprised you dps at that lv though, I never did. Usually easier at higher lv. Oh well keep enjoying it!

There's too many healers though I should level dragoon and become the best dragoon there is.

Stuart444

I stance danced as soon as I became a SCH. It's really easy since there is a lot of downtime with Eos and it's quick enough to switch out of Cleric Stance when you need to heal.

During dungeons where I know I need to heal a lot (such as level 40 - 50 dungeons), I tend to throw on an Adlo at the start of the fight and then Cleric stance -> Bio II -> Miasma -> Bio -> (bane if multiple enemies) -> Cleric Stance and back to healing.

Sacred Soil is also a great move which saved some of my groups in Darkhold during my 15+ runs when leveling to 50. (ie the area with the trash + 2 frogs that have a habbit of being aggro'd at the same time depending on the tank >_> ). And if SS isn't needed, a Cleric Stance -> Swiftcasted Shadow Flare (if you have Swiftcast which helps with Rezing btw. ) A macro with these two can help again with DPS.

Being an SCH can make dungeons go by quickly :D.

This reminds me, I need to level Conj at some point for Stone Skin.

Teknoman

So far guess i'll be doing Paladin / Dark Knight for tanking (Cecil style, best main character) and then Monk / Samurai (if that happens) for dps.

I wonder if they'll be training under some renegade Ascian... And for that matter, when are we going to see the reaper style ascians again?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I've noticed the game slowly working its way back up the charts in the MMO section of Steam. Guess there's a decent number of people getting drawn to it with 2.4 almost here. I'm wondering if we'll see login queues for a bit on the larger servers once it goes live.

Not going to have a huge amount of time to play this week, but maybe it's for the best all things considered.

Relique

I have just bought this game and it's now downloading on my PS3. I will be doing a PS4 upgrade and jumping in a couple of hours for the first time.

So I take it Ultros is the server I should be starting my character on?

Yep, just join GAF on Ultros. You're good by yourself until you hit LV50, which could take a while or a week depending on your dedication, then you will start hitting the "wall". Just be chatty on FC chat and you will get help in no time.

Wouldn't say the wall starts as soon as you hit 50 or anytime close to that. The first time you hit 50 you still have to finish the story which is a ton of stuff, all the HM primals, the garlean arc stuff, then you have 16 lvl 50 dungeons to do at least once(well 16 in 2days, 13 atm), the hildebrand questline, the mogpost questline, beastmen daillies, CT and ST. THEN you hit the wall with titan EX or coil. Though you can just level alts, do crafting, gathering, make money, advance your relic and so on.

Relique

Thanks for the advice. The upgrade process is quite tedious but I cannot complain too much given the 15 dollar discount going that route. It is now downloading on the PS4. Can't wait to jump in

Frumix

Suffering From Success
According to an OF post (In Japanese section naturally) some items in 2.4 patch notes weren't to be implemented until later patches. Items gone from notes include wind-up Nanamo, Urianger and new dyes.

dramatis

Thanks for the advice. The upgrade process is quite tedious but I cannot complain too much given the 15 dollar discount going that route. It is now downloading on the PS4. Can't wait to jump in
Bear in mind there is maintenance all day Monday for the new patch.

Day two of my return and yet more questions... can anyone help me out?

I'm feeling a bit lost. I stopped playing right before 2.1 came out, had all the content cleared and am at full ilvl90... what should my next step be? So many new things right now...

Kenai

Grats to illy for not streaming the t9 kill

He legit crashed and next kill was the win. it was a reallllly exciting one too at the end (2-3 dead, mass para from thunder, 2-3% to go...)

edit: also the casting pants look terrible wtf. Practically begged Kooka to glamour them

Day two of my return and yet more questions... can anyone help me out?

I'm feeling a bit lost. I stopped playing right before 2.1 came out, had all the content cleared and am at full ilvl90... what should my next step be? So many new things right now...

It's a bit hard to say but I suggest continuing the story while working on hunts. Hunts get you capped on all your necessary points for the week 9except Poetics when they go live I guess) and thatt'll get you around ilvl100 when you're done.

Depending on what you like to do, there's a couple new primals out and one more coming, CT/ST (not a whole lot of good cear but maybe should clear it once), beastman dailies (oak knots are gonna be money) Frontlines for decent PvP "fun", and so on.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it won't be too tough. :) Cause I LOVE raiding in stuff like CT, but since I know that groups really do the whole: "Be on at this time and ready to do Coil", (at least I think) I don't think I would be able to keep up. :(

CT and ST are great fun to run! And others have already talked about ways to get gear without doing coil but you don't have to worry about the time aspect of coil turn 1-5 anymore as you can more or less join a DF/PF group and breeze through 1, 2 and 4 with ease. 3 doesn't get run much anymore (who can jump fastest to the exit!) and 5 does need more skill even with the echo.

You only need concern yourself with the time aspect if you wanted to join a static.

But there's no harm staying away from coil either, I just figured I'd point this out o/!

So it must be said first off...that DRK gear is ugly. Damn ugly. It's like SE was going for Dark Souls' tattered look on some of the pieces then added some weird mix of Korean MMOs and Amano to it. It sucks hosewater.

But on the flip side, there's glamours for that. And it means I can have a greatsword on Blake as he was meant to be (my original version of that create a character was a Gladiator in Aion).

Still have no clue how DRK as a tank is gonna work in this game though, since Yoshida and crew seemingly deemed life stealing WAR a failed experiment with 2.1. Whereas the "use HP to do damage then self-heal" thing could have worked as a DPS.

EDIT: Oh, and congrats once again to my brother and his group. I knew you would stop getting blown up by Chain Lightning...sooner or later. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom