• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

"The main point of raiding is gear".
You heard it there first guys.
Pesky content is just in the way.

Makes me think of that Yhatzee vid (WoW expansion one I think) where he said "So why do you raid" "To get good gear" "And what are you getting that gear for" "To Raid with"

Something like that I believe.

edit: also congrats to Haman & Co for downing T9 :D

Taruranto

Alright. I'll start DPSIng instead of healing. That will work out really well for undergeared tanks or tanks who are just shitty.

Undergeared tanks, ok, but shitty tanks shouldn't be a problem at all, unless your whole party is completely under-geared you still can faceroll most content.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/199457-Coil-and-tomestone-gear-both-I130

Stop sitting around in your high end gear being elitist guys, it gets people to be like this.

Raiders have a God complex. Not all, but a lot do. They love the idea of "lookin down on the rest of those with non-allag" gear. It makes them feel special because they did not get enough hugs as a child. Every time I see someone in fully decked out High-allag, I give them a hug, just to reassure them that they are l33t and special and very much loved.

I love the OF.

Wilsongt

Underwear tanks, ok, but shitty tanks shouldn't be a problem at all, unless your whole party is completely under-geared you still can faceroll most content.

I love the OF.

I did Halatali hard mode a few nights ago. It was a party in progress. When I joined they had already wiped on the first boss. We the. Wiped on the first boss again. We then wiped in the second boss THREE times until the tank went offline and we vote kicked. That tank... Was shitty. Wouldn't listen to us about touchin orbs and wouldn't even try to dodge anything from Catablepas. It was painful. The sch and drg weren't awesomely geared but geared enough for us to steamroll the dungeon.

Kenai

Grats you guys. And grats to Kenai for getting to pull some double 6+ hour shifts for those T9 clears :x

I made my bed, no way I wasn't going to do at least as much for my static. I think the extra muscle memory practice helped me out a lot too. Until that Thunder that almost straight up wiped us we were damn near perfect with mechanic placement too, maybe one Dynamo on one person and no deaths.

Congratulations on the T9 clear. Who's in Illy's group?

Me (Kenai in game) Illy, Sosul, Saff, Sumie, H'ntai, Kooka, and Ren. Honorable mention Rem, especially when they lift lockout.

All those 1% wipes make me nervous, is there an attack or something near this %?

Around that time it's nearing the soft enrage/super gib mechanics and combined with the tension of being so close everyone is likely zoning out other "gotchas" like beam, thunder, and stacking close enough/far enough for fire in and out. On our kill Saff was worried we'd join the 1% wipe club cause he was getting ready to either do meteor Streams or Divebombs, I forget which.

Does maintenance start tonight?

It does. Around 11-12 PDT I think? That's why there was all this thirst for T9 clears, it was crunch time.

I did Halatali hard mode a few nights ago. It was a party in progress. When I joined they had already wiped on the first boss. We the. Wiped on the first boss again. We then wiped in the second boss THREE times until the tank went offline and we vote kicked. That tank... Was shitty. Wouldn't listen to us about touchin orbs and wouldn't even try to dodge anything from Catablepas. It was painful. The sch and drg weren't awesomely geared but geared enough for us to steamroll the dungeon.

I obviously feel a bit different about healing vs dpsing in dungeons as SCH as some, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who runs into the occasional tank who you absolutely must babysit at all types. Even if I could theoretically weave in 1-2 rotations every couple of minutes to desperately lower the amount of agony, that doesn't mean I want to take the additional risk on top of already having to be blindingly fast so the noobsauce tank isn't gibbed. Now that I've cleared it a few times, some of my reaction times in those moments do feel like re-enacting a tank eating Bahamut's favor, and tbh i didn't get much dps time in at those moments either!

I am more than willing to DPS if there's no healing to be done (I like to! i don't wanna just sit there), but the point is to make the fights go faster, not increase the chances of wiping by ignoring someone who needs healing, and if you get a scrub tank you gotta deal with it and actually do your (healing) job. Glad you feel this way too! Always better to be safe than sorry.

10658692_10152515679121297_4161585640156610717_o.jpg

Downnnn! Man, so happy.

Wilsongt

I made my bed, no way I wasn't going to do at least as much for my static. I think the extra muscle memory practice helped me out a lot too. Until that Thunder that almost straight up wiped us we were damn near perfect with mechanic placement too, maybe one Dynamo on one person and no deaths.

Me (Kenai in game) Illy, Sosul, Saff, Sumie, H'ntai, Kooka, and Ren. Honorable mention Rem, especially when they lift lockout.

Around that time it's nearing the soft enrage/super gib mechanics and combined with the tension of being so close everyone is likely zoning out other "gotchas" like beam, thunder, and stacking close enough/far enough for fire in and out. On our kill Saff was worried we'd join the 1% wipe club cause he was getting ready to either do meteor Streams or Divebombs, I forget which.

It does. Around 11-12 PDT I think? That's why there was all this thirst for T9 clears, it was crunch time.

I obviously feel a bit different about healing vs dpsing in dungeons as SCH as some, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who runs into the occasional tank who you absolutely must babysit at all types. Even if I could theoretically weave in 1-2 rotations every couple of minutes to desperately lower the amount of agony, that doesn't mean I want to take the additional risk on top of already having to be blindingly fast so the noobsauce tank isn't gibbed. Now that I've cleared it a few times, some of my reaction times in those moments do feel like re-enacting a tank eating Bahamut's favor, and tbh i didn't get much dps time in at those moments either!

I am more than willing to DPS if there's no healing to be done (I like to! i don't wanna just sit there), but the point is to make the fights go faster, not increase the chances of wiping by ignoring someone who needs healing, and if you get a scrub tank you gotta deal with it and actually do your (healing) job. Glad you feel this way too! Always better to be safe than sorry.

As a scholar it's very easy to stoneskin and adlo the tank, cleric stance, dot, and then switch back to healing.

Teknoman

Doesn't sound stupid. I got my T5 win a few days ago and someone else in this thread got theirs the other day as well.

Congrats :D

Sup finally. I'm hyped to see what Second coil holds. Even got an allagan blade for my troubles.

I wonder if they added ninja weapons to primals and early coil?

Downnnn! Man, so happy.

Really clean run. Got it on our 4th or 5th attempt with almost everyone alive. We had 8/8 people alive as one bit the dust to a divebomb at about 5% just before the LB. Super happy to have finished this before the patch!

Dropped High Allagan Blade and High Allagan Casting Pants. I have the video but I haven't installed my editing software on this PC yet. >_<

Grats to Team Darkness! I don't even know who you're with anymore but you guys look cool in the picture so \o/

From left to right (back row):
Odoru Suika
Scything Moon
Elliott Kirkland
Darkness Tear
Pellegri Testament

From left to right (front row):
Crispy Corndog (Baramoht)
Strawberry Shortcake
Maple Cookie

Fmal

Banned
I quit playing just before 2.1 came out. Is there anywhere I can read up about what they've added to the game since? I hate coming back to MMOs and getting information overload.

Aeana

Really clean run. Got it on our 4th or 5th attempt with almost everyone alive. We had 8/8 people alive as one bit the dust to a divebomb at about 5% just before the LB. Super happy to have finished this before the patch!

Dropped High Allagan Blade and High Allagan Casting Pants. I have the video but I haven't installed my editing software on this PC yet. >_<

From left to right (back row):
Odoru Suika
Scything Moon
Elliott Kirkland
Darkness Tear
Pellegri Testament

From left to right (front row):
Crispy Corndog (Baramoht)
Strawberry Shortcake
Maple Cookie

Congrats, you guys!

Kenai

As a scholar it's very easy to stoneskin and adlo the tank, cleric stance, dot, and then switch back to healing.

I'm taking about the tanks whose SS + Adlo runs out and they are needing a Lustrate before third dot + bane is out in your rotation. It's the dangers of DF.

I love at least dropping Shadowflare in those situations though.

Tabris

Was there any bonus to doing T9 before 2.4 or was it just for the joy of doing it "right"?

Last patch cycle we were behind a lot of people. We didn't start T9 seriously until a month ago.

It's nice to be able to go in and challenge content without any established strategies. And also be in sync with a lot of the other raiders.

I just upgraded to the PS4 version and goodness, what a difference. I've never really seen the hype this place had with framerate but I see how it makes a game more enjoyable. And it felt so good to see the Hunt targets instead of having to throw an AoE on an empty plot of land and hoping they'd run into it.

I suppose I'm out of luck with finding people on the Lamia server, huh?

Was there any bonus to doing T9 before 2.4 or was it just for the joy of doing it "right"?

Well, this is minor, but you won't be able to go into the final room after beating T9 anymore as a whole group (unless it's the whole group's first T9 clear). When 2.4 hits, anyone who has already cleared T9 will be unable to enter that room again. Same thing happened with T5 and 2.2.

plake

I just upgraded to the PS4 version and goodness, what a difference. I've never really seen the hype this place had with framerate but I see how it makes a game more enjoyable. And it felt so good to see the Hunt targets instead of having to throw an AoE on an empty plot of land and hoping they'd run into it.

I suppose I'm out of luck with finding people on the Lamia server, huh?

Probably. Most are on Ultros. I suggest a server transfer. GAF is well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom