• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorian

Banned
Please do not quote Tabris again, when he's making comments directed towards me.

I can't help but chuckle at this part.

Anyway, regardless of who's giving you the advice. You're doing yourself a disservice by saying that your situational awareness is fine. I have to agree that's it's below par. This doesn't mean you are a player with no hope but it's important to actually admit it and think about it when you're in a raid tanking.

Stuart444

Soo...

What is everyone doing first? I've parked myself next to the Rising Stones entrance so I can start the story quests right away. Will probably start Rogue later in the day.

And will defo be doing some Hildebrand stuff tomorrow afternoon. :D

Sophia

I didn't mean to snap, I apologize for that.

No worries. I don't play on Ultros with the GAF guild, so I generally don't keep up on everyone's histories.

Soo...

What is everyone doing first? I've parked myself next to the Rising Stones entrance so I can start the story quests right away. Will probably start Rogue later in the day.

I am going to either be unlocking rogue, running Syrcus Tower over and over to hit item level 110 on everything I have a level 50, or completing the story in the patches. Which one depends on my mood when I log in.

Sorian

Banned
Soo...

I'm parked next to the vendor in rev toll. Gotta abuse those new mat prices.

Soo...

Logged out at the storm guy in mist, buying a good house first. Then to Limsa, learn rogue, get my gear out of my retainers(probably should have done that before downtime but forgot), craft lvl 5-18weapons with the mats in my bag and level this stuff to 20. Then do my ixali daillies and go to bed.

Jayhawk

This is why we can't have nice things.

With all this extra spare time you have today during maintenance, why don't you create a section on your website for selling Kagari's Carries with a banner image, shopping cart with the carry options, and checkout page with the gil prices? It costs the customers extra to feature wipes caused by me.

WolvenOne

I can't help but chuckle at this part.

Anyway, regardless of who's giving you the advice. You're doing yourself a disservice by saying that your situational awareness is fine. I have to agree that's it's below par. This doesn't mean you are a player with no hope but it's important to actually admit it and think about it when you're in a raid tanking.

Not in the mood Asami.

aceface

With all this extra spare time you have today during maintenance, why don't you create a section on your website for selling Kagari's Carries with a banner image, shopping cart with the carry options, and checkout page with the gil prices? It costs the customers extra to feature wipes caused by me.

What bonuses do I get with preorder?

Stuart444

Patch notes better come soon before we all kill each other.

Assuming the patch itself isn't up early (which again, it probably won't be, at least not more than 10 - 15 mins early due to not wanting people to get early poetics), reading the full patch notes will be a good way to wake up.

Read patch notes then log in for some 90ks...

BLCKATK

Soo...

Planning on unlocking the new expert dungeons. I'd love to get a headstart on Poetics tomes so I can start planning out my gearing process. I'm planning on switching to Warrior this patch from Bard so I have a long way to go.

BadRNG

There will be no videos and or guides at first, learn the fights
AKA stalk twitch streams of bad quality video french and japanese groups trying to decipher wtf is going on. I do love some of the theories we come up with on those first attempts though. My favorite from second coil was the theory that the fireballs killed the stoned renauds.
Turns out drive by auto attack too strong

Also, want to get better at PLD, so I can main tank comfortably.

3: Get better at PLD. As boring as the class is, there are times when it'd be better for me to take the MT position.
Not going to bite...not going to bite...
goddamn it

WAR can MT everything fine, sometimes better. If you don't have confidence as MT on one you shouldn't have any confidence on the other. There's no big difference in how you approach the fight. You got more levers as WAR but it's the same basic thing for pretty much every boss fight in this game because it's all 100% scripted, the only important thing is you got something covering you when the big hit comes and can manage timers inbetween. I am like on full auto pilot mode during a lot of these fights, I know exactly when to use each cooldown and I can just 123/4 if block until I fall asleep or we we wipe. The jokes about typing in chat/alt tabbing are all true because I really do just have a lot of free time. The only time it gets exciting is when there is a lot of random heavy movement involved (like final phases of T9/T5). Those also happen to be my favorite kinda fights for that exact reason. Stand there and just take it while rest of groups has actual mechanics to worry about happens too much in this game, wait what were we talking about...oh right.

TL:DR if you don't think you can tank from any position, it's cause you don't know the dance, so stop worrying about what type of shoes you are wearing and learn the steps.

I love those people though, they're the kind of people who buy their krakka root at 4k off of the market wards when you can go to the NPC yourself. Who would have thought I'd make a profit off of those 99 krakka root seeds I bought on accident :x
Never underestimate the power of laziness! I paid 100k for a set of demon cookies from the halloween event to buy all the stuff. I did the fate once and that was enough, ain't nobody got time for that. Nothing else to use gil in this game for anyway.

That said I've pretty much never bought gear for leveling battle classes, at like any point in the game. Never crafted any stuff for myself either, never saw the point. I got a few random dungeon drops + GC items and just go from there, a few classes I've not even had anything on certain slots or like earrings I got those level 1 ones. It don't matter.

Anyone know offhand how common the other relic precursors are as a leve reward? I just know they're possible, but are we talking dodore wing level rarity?
Rarer in my experience (or I just have really good dodore luck). There's no guarantee that NIN's will be available from leves either.

Ploid 3.0

He sure does know how to talk and pad the length of his videos. Guess it's not overall a bad thing, although sometimes I think it results in misinformation and excessive speculation. Ah well.

I haven't seen the video but I'm guessing the patch notes didn't come out, and there wasn't much to talk about so when there's little information during this kind of situation people tend to speculate, he apparently has the time. I think I saw a picture of the Square Enix guy fashioning his hands in a way to imply he's aiming a gun. So maybe there's reason for talking about his hand gestures.

BadRNG

There's like a giant thread on the OF discussing the possibilities of what Yoshida meant when he said one of his favorite movies is The Man with the Golden Gun.
what could it possibly mean...dancer?

People going crazy over the lack of any actual information.

Tabris

Considering this man
spent two hours sending me PST's that were at the very least borderline harassing in nature, in response making an inquiry over possible ways to get more T9 practice.
I'm not listening to a thing he says, thank you very much.

I was actually trying to be nice, mentioning that you could meet your goals by focusing on different things, nothing passive aggressive about it.

But since you posted all that shit, let me just respond - Those "2 hours sending you PST's" was me trying desperately to convince you that you should work on your game as it was holding us back. Others tried to help me, but were nicer about it. You ignored both of us, and would barely respond to us. So I got super blunt about it, you got offended and quit. Which worked out perfectly, as we got a replacement that works better with our group, and you'll probably find a better group for you.

Why do we hate MrHappy here?

I guess because his guides are incomplete and/or innacurate and/or outdated(though latter isn't really his fault). That said I do like his videos, because he shows specific mechanics in detail. I'll generally do 2 things to prepare for a fight before doing it, read a written guide of all the abilities(for some bosses those are hard to find though) and then watch a video to see what I read refers to visually(size of aoe, timings, shapes, debuff icons etc). MrHappy videos work fine for that purpose for the most part so don't have much of an issue with them, and it's a good central place to get every videos at once.

Tabris

MrHappy's guides are too involved. They tend to throw too much at you and aren't laid out that well for small consumable bites of info/knowledge. I like MTQCapture's youtube channel with her visual guides. She lays out each video nicely and very consumable content. Only issue is I don't think she's as good of a player as MrHappy (still good though!), or her static isn't as good as MrHappys, as she doesn't have guides up for a while in comparison.

Sophia

His videos have a tendency to be overly long, and sometimes (often?) give out misinformation. Also other times people just come up with flat out better strategies, such as with Turn 6, and his videos aren't updated to reflect the new strats. I still seep people suggesting the brier method because of his videos when most people use Triangle or LOS now.

scy

If you want to watch videos for advice on the game, just avoid his. They're pretty much going to be misleading or just outright wrong. For the most part, just take them as videos of someone trying to explain a fight that they don't actually understand so it gets filled with a lot of words and no clear-cut explanations.

The jokes about typing in chat/alt tabbing are all true because I really do just have a lot of free time.

I spend a lot of time calling A/S Hunts when tanking because at least it's something to do. It's also why I just ... call everything. I mean, otherwise I barely have to pay attention to the actual act of tanking a boss.

Only issue is I don't think she's as good of a player as MrHappy (still good though!), or her static isn't as good as MrHappys, so she doesn't have guides up for a while in comparison.

I think his static is just a lot more serious than Mizzteq's. And/or she does more effort in her videos compared to his. He just ... kind of has recorded footage and bad explanations.

BadRNG

Checking FC chest? Ain't nobody got time for that either. I was on a tight 15 minutes and done for the day pre2.4 non-coil day time schedule!

I don't regret anything though, in only for the shout chat's reaction when I asked to buy from someone at that price.

Moaradin

Of course Mr. Happy guides tend to be outdated and have a lot of misinformation. Their guild is pretty hardcore and he usually gets his videos out early and before the fights are fully understood.

If you want guides that go more in-depth with strategies that are more fine-tuned, there are options out there. You just have to wait longer before they become available.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
His videos have a tendency to be overly long, and sometimes (often?) give out misinformation. Also other times people just come up with flat out better strategies, such as with Turn 6, and his videos aren't updated to reflect the new strats. I still seep people suggesting the brier method because of his videos when most people use Triangle or LOS now.

Briar method is eternal!

Tiops

Yeah, I agree that his videos are longer than they should be, but I didn't know they had misinformation. I'm a scrub, so I use Mizzteq and his videos to understand the fights. Is there any other source that's more reliable?

I have a better question. Why did you ruin Cyan's face?
I changed it at the PS4 launch and forgot to change (I was browsing gaf at work, so I disabled avatars). I need to change it back.

Sorian

Banned
Mr. Happy' guides are fine for fights. They are meant to be a broad overview that are put out very early. New and better starts come with time and his guides get outdated quick but they still work as a very long-winded overview.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was actually trying to be nice, mentioning that you could meet your goals by focusing on different things, nothing passive aggressive about it.

But since you posted all that shit, let me just respond - Those "2 hours sending you PST's" was me trying desperately to convince you that you should work on your game as it was holding us back. Others tried to help me, but were nicer about it. You ignored both of us, and would barely respond to us. So I got super blunt about it, you got offended and quit. Which worked out perfectly, as we got a replacement that works better with our group, and you'll probably find a better group for you.

Chances are if "others.... were nicer about it" then you weren't being nice about it in your PST's.

It's kind of dumb to attack someone making a list of things they want to accomplish in the next couple of patches. Situational awareness is something you need in all high end raid bosses, and I wouldn't think it would be something to put on the top of a to do list for a new patch. That list took him all of 1 minute to make probably.

This whole thing is just kind of dumb.

WolvenOne

AKA stalk twitch streams of bad quality video french and japanese groups trying to decipher wtf is going on. I do love some of the theories we come up with on those first attempts though. My favorite from second coil was the theory that the fireballs killed the stoned renauds.
Turns out drive by auto attack too strong

Not going to bite...not going to bite...
goddamn it

WAR can MT everything fine, sometimes better. If you don't have confidence as MT on one you shouldn't have any confidence on the other. There's no big difference in how you approach the fight. You got more levers as WAR but it's the same basic thing for pretty much every boss fight in this game because it's all 100% scripted, the only important thing is you got something covering you when the big hit comes and can manage timers inbetween. I am like on full auto pilot mode during a lot of these fights, I know exactly when to use each cooldown and I can just 123/4 if block until I fall asleep or we we wipe. The jokes about typing in chat/alt tabbing are all true because I really do just have a lot of free time. The only time it gets exciting is when there is a lot of random heavy movement involved (like final phases of T9/T5). Those also happen to be my favorite kinda fights for that exact reason. Stand there and just take it while rest of groups has actual mechanics to worry about happens too much in this game, wait what were we talking about...oh right.

TL:DR if you don't think you can tank from any position, it's cause you don't know the dance, so stop worrying about what type of shoes you are wearing and learn the steps.

I'm aware of all of this.

However.

1: It's generally agreed that it's a bit easier to learn the various MT dances from the PLD position. They have more defensive CD's to use, so they have more, "OH CRAP!," options.

2: There are a number of healers in this game, that refuse to deal with Warriors in the MT position. It's, VERY annoying.

3: I've encountered PLD's in this game, that could handle the CD dance for content like T9 just fine, but couldn't seem to get positioning right. Specifically, PLD's that kept forgetting to move forward during Nael's jumps, were too terrified to get anywhere close to the wall, or just kept moving enemies around when melee where trying to burst them down.

Yes, I'm reasonably certain I could take over as a WAR, survive, and handle that positioning just fine, but again, a lot of healers are dubious of healing WAR's as MT, and put up a fuss. If my goal is to be able to run in most groups, regardless of what position is open, I need to be able to use many classes competently, including PLD.

Stuart444

I guess because his guides are incomplete and/or innacurate and/or outdated(though latter isn't really his fault). That said I do like his videos, because he shows specific mechanics in detail. I'll generally do 2 things to prepare for a fight before doing it, read a written guide of all the abilities(for some bosses those are hard to find though) and then watch a video to see what I read refers to visually(size of aoe, timings, shapes, debuff icons etc). MrHappy videos work fine for that purpose for the most part so don't have much of an issue with them, and it's a good central place to get every videos at once.

I do similar things and I really enjoy MrHappys vids, His voice doesn't irritate me which helps lol. I also sometimes look at other video guides depending on content and how long it's been out. MTQCaptures is another I like and sometimes just random vids after reading a guide since vids with no commentary can help add in the stuff you need a visual representation which you don't always get with written guides.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well it's certainly eternal in the sense that it sends confused puggers and new FC mates to the eternal afterlife, yes. >_>;

It's the method my group used week one and continued to use regardless of LoS being a thing. It was just more comfortable for us and easier to teach when we had to bring in new people.

BadRNG

Written guides>15 minutes video-guide by youtube "celebrities".
I prefer written guides in general, video guides don't do much for me, no matter who is making them. Being able to quickly consult any part of the fight is so useful, especially for double checking something while actually learning the fight.

The quick and bare overviews of how mechanics work are the best, experimenting with how to approach the fight and deal with the mechanics is way more fun than following a step by step video of someone else's strategy.

Ken

Checking FC chest? Ain't nobody got time for that either. I was on a tight 15 minutes and done for the day pre2.4 non-coil day time schedule!

I don't regret anything though, in only for the shout chat's reaction when I asked to buy from someone at that price.

I could have sold you some.

Sophia

It's the method my group used week one and continued to use regardless of LoS being a thing. It was just more comfortable for us and easier to teach when we had to bring in new people.

Fair point. I've personally experienced the opposite, as everyone on Adamantoise is too familiar with the Triangle or LOS method. Trying to explain them anything else results in a headache inducing mess where we spend way too much time in Phase 1 or Phase 2.

I prefer written guides in general, video guides don't do much for me, no matter who is making them. Being able to quickly consult any part of the fight is so useful, especially for double checking something while actually learning the fight.

The quick and bare overviews of how mechanics work are the best, experimenting with how to approach the fight and deal with the mechanics is way more fun than following a step by step video of someone else's strategy.

Yeah, agree on the preference for written guides. I can read a guide very quickly, in a minute or two at most, and I can easily reference. Videos I have to go at the pace of the speaker. The only time I find videos useful is if I need explicit visual instructions on something.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Fair point. I've personally experienced the opposite, as everyone on Adamantoise is too familiar with the Triangle or LOS method. Trying to explain them anything else results in a headache inducing mess where we spend way too much time in Phase 1 or Phase 2.

Briar is a bit easier when someone marks the briar that should be gone into I suppose. For example, our OT will mark with a waypoint and call it out so everyone knows where to go ahead of time.

scy

My take on it is written guide to get all the information, Mizzteq's if I want to see exacts (e.g., here's what this mechanic looks like in-game) or just some random kill video to see the flow of the fight.

2: There are a number of healers in this game, that refuse to deal with Warriors in the MT position. It's, VERY annoying.

Healers that say this wouldn't be able to keep any MT alive to begin with honestly.

My understanding of Briar is it's just ... run to the most recent Briar (that won't get people eaten in the process). Like, that's it. Run there. She turns to eat you. You don't move. Hooray.

Tabris

Chances are if "others.... were nicer about it" then you weren't being nice about it in your PST's.

Yeah I wasn't being nice about it. But that was after 2 months of saying the same thing and I was frustrated with him.

It's kind of dumb to attack someone making a list of things they want to accomplish in the next couple of patches. Situational awareness is something you need in all high end raid bosses, and I wouldn't think it would be something to put on the top of a to do list for a new patch. That list took him all of 1 minute to make probably.

Yeah, but if you've played with Tia a while, you know he focuses on these details than the areas he can really improve on. So I mentioned he should focus on his game to get to those goals faster. I was actually trying to be nice there, maybe didn't come across, was meant to be friendly advice (I was not friendly on the night he quit though).

Stuart444

I only found out the other day that some Healers have a problems with WARs. Never seen it in game though. I almost wonder if I'll see any of it when I get my Tank to level 50.

But then again, I probably wouldn't care much and would just laugh at people leaving because of me being a WAR. A good healer wouldn't discriminate because of a Tanks job. :)

scy

Really, I feel like the whole "keeping calm under pressure", "better situational awareness" and so-on list applies to like ... everyone to some capacity. It's like the generic "git gud" for every role.

Except MT on a few fights. Then it's just get better at alt-tabbing in between 1-2-3 presses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom