• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalasta

Not surprised to see people abusing the Hunt system, although I'm sure plenty of people in our own FC have taken advantage of it as well. Probably not going to partake in it until something is done to fix it, even if it's the easiest way to get marks and tomes.

supergiz

You all can enjoy your last day of easy hunt farming today. I have a sneaking suspicion that they will be making changes with tonight's maintenance

I'm not sure why people are complaining about this other than to complain. If you see it, you pull it, it kills you or you kill it. Not sure why there is a big deal being made about this. You get 1000 seals, you get 2 seals. Greed is the only issue i see here. "They got to ride the Merry-go-round 3 times around and I only went 2" "Well, they got there first."

Since I reached PLD should I be splitting my Chocobo between Damage/Healing?

Also if I leave him in free stance will he use skills from both trees?

Yes and yes. It's still useful to use the specific stances though, since with healing it starts healing early and with attack, it won't waste time casting regen for fights where you're not taking damage.

Day two of new content and people on my server expect folks to know mechanics or read about them smh. So many rage quits I've seen in CT2 lol. Oh, and the PF I saw for Ramuh X "Don't join if you haven't made it to phase two/adds. At least give it a week b/f turning on the "elite" switch.

And, I'm seeing posts on different forums of people complaining about Sands/Oils drops for casuals. How in any way does this put a damper on your enjoyment of the game and progression? All I can do is once again smh.

I know, it's the worst. Apparently you're a douche if you want to experience content that's literally 2 days old, first hand.

I ended up creating a party in PF specifically for people that wanted to play Tam Tara HM fresh, no guides, just figuring it out as we go and enjoying the story. It went pretty well, but it obviously takes a lot longer to get the party together than in DF.

We still got one guy that was like, I've done this before, if you do exactly as I said you won't wipe. And we were like, dude if we wanted to read a guide we would, if you wanna come that's fine, but let us figure out the mechanics and if we wipe a few times, so be it. Not maximizing return and speed for something as tenuous as "fun" just couldn't enter his mind. Thankfully he left on his own.

Also it made me realize you can't kick people from a dungeon if they DC and you're in a party? Huge oversight by square. We had to restart the whole thing because someone DCed. Maybe we missed something there, because that could potentially be terrible in something like CT with a premade party.

That's the thing there are no Augmented Armors on the MB... besides the 2 that I made, I went with the Caster... looks cooler. If you added up all the materials to make it from the MB comes to like 6 million.

Oh man you're just straight up crazy. Mad props to you.

For desynth, do you still think it's better to get 3 classes to ~100 or get 4 to ~80 - 70. Seems like getting to 100 is a mad grind and since failing only costs shards and crystals, maybe having 4 competent classes rather than 3 at full might be a better trade off. I haven't started the whole desynth thing yet, too busy trying to complete the new content.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
If they wanted to be evil (and do what I was expecting them to do) they would make it so you only get seals on hunt targets assigned by your GC for that day/week.

That would mean less than 100 seals per week.

Holy balls that would suck!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
You can get the weapon to i110 assuming you get the UAT from CT.

Anyone clear Ramuh EX here? If so, do you have any links to videos you may have leveraged.

Cleared Ramuh EX on the third pull without too much knowledge of the fight.
Really isn't too tough.

Where are you having issues?

iammeiam

Part of the question I guess is how rare Square actually wants sands/oils to be at this point. Technically the gear is all still locked behind the weekly sold cap, we've all just had a bunch of weeks to gear up in the past. Given that myth gear didn't have the weathered mechanic going on, it's possible welfares of time was always scheduled for 2.3 I guess. So maybe they just focus on fixing the actual game problems with hunts instead of nerfing the rewards until people don't think they're worthwhile anymore? Nerfing rewards is easier though, so probably what will happen.

I just need to try to grind out a sands between the end of work and patch tonight; I have no pressing need to fully gear up immediately, and spamming CT2 weekly for oils is fine by me, but I'll kick myself if I miss easy sands.

j-wood

So I made the plunge and bought this last night. Made my character this morning on Behemoth as that's where I have a few friends. I had to wait until this morning though because the server was locked for character creation? That's stupid.

Other than that, it seems like this will be fun. Any tips?

I choose the race that starts with an H? Looks the most human. Born on the 9th month, and choose the 9th month deity. Class is marauder.

Is it possible to mess your character up or anything like that when leveling?

Ken

Part of the question I guess is how rare Square actually wants sands/oils to be at this point. Technically the gear is all still locked behind the weekly sold cap, we've all just had a bunch of weeks to gear up in the past. Given that myth gear didn't have the weathered mechanic going on, it's possible welfares of time was always scheduled for 2.3 I guess. So maybe they just focus on fixing the actual game problems with hunts instead of nerfing the rewards until people don't think they're worthwhile anymore? Nerfing rewards is easier though, so probably what will happen.

I just need to try to grind out a sands between the end of work and patch tonight; I have no pressing need to fully gear up immediately, and spamming CT2 weekly for oils is fine by me, but I'll kick myself if I miss easy sands.

Sands doesn't really need to be rare but their handling of it is super inconsistent; compare hunts sands with CT2 sands.

Zomba13

If they wanted to be evil (and do what I was expecting them to do) they would make it so you only get seals on hunt targets assigned by your GC for that day/week.

I have a feeling they will do that.

Hotfix: Fixed issue where players would receive rewards from non-marked Hunt targets. Players now only receive rewards from marked targets on the GC hunt board once mark bills have been collected.

Nohar

You can't really mess up, though you want to be careful about where you allocate your attribute points, because if you want to reset them it will cost you a lot of Great Company seals.
Basically: Gladiator & Marauder: Vitality ; Thaumaturge & Summoner (advanced class): Intelligence ; Lancer & Pugilist: Strenght ; Conjurer & Scholar (advanced class): Mind ; Archer: Dexterity.

Scholar and Summoner share the same base job, Arcanist, which is why you need to decide in advance if you'd rather play Scholar (healer with pets) or Summoner (DPS with pets).

Oh, and each attributes points are exclusive to each class. So, don't worry: if you play Marauder just put your points in Vitality, and if later you want to play Archer this class will have a separate sheet with separate points to allocate. Your classes don't share the bonus points you win.

IvorB

I'm not sure why people are complaining about this other than to complain. If you see it, you pull it, it kills you or you kill it. Not sure why there is a big deal being made about this. You get 1000 seals, you get 2 seals. Greed is the only issue i see here. "They got to ride the Merry-go-round 3 times around and I only went 2" "Well, they got there first."

I know right? If you want to hunt then get off your ass and hunt. Don't complain that someone who puts in the legwork is getting the kill 'cause you were jumping around in a circle in Moh Dona.

iammeiam

Sands doesn't really need to be rare but their handling of it is super inconsistent; compare hunts sands with CT2 sands.

CT2 was oils-only so far, I thought? If it drops sands too I'm not going to worry about hunting at all.

The part where I see some consistency is that the base item for sands still requires the UAT which is on weekly CT2/Coil 2 lockout or sold jewelry which is capped. So Sands/Oils can flow like wine because the base items that make them actually useful are still all behind lockouts/caps.

It'd probably make the most sense if they just yanked oils from the CT2 loot table entirely, or moved them to the non-lockout chest with the minion.

Reknoc

You can't really mess up, though you want to be careful about where you allocate your attribute points, because if you want to reset them it will cost you a lot of Great Company seals.
Basically: Gladiator & Marauder: Vitality ; Thaumaturge & Summoner (advanced class): Intelligence ; Lancer & Pugilist: Strenght ; Conjurer & Scholar (advanced class): Mind ; Archer: Dexterity.

Scholar and Summoner share the same base job, Conjurer, which is why you need to decide in advance if you'd rather play Scholar (healer with pets) or Summoner (DPS with pets).

Oh, and each attributes points are exclusive to each class. So, don't worry: if you play Marauder just put your points in Vitality, and if later you want to play Archer this class will have a separate sheet with separate points to allocate. Your classes don't share the bonus points you win.

Arcanist*

Zomba13

I know right? If you want to hunt then get off your ass and hunt. Don't complain that someone who puts in the legwork is getting the kill 'cause you were jumping around in a circle in Moh Dona.

Or you find it first, you call your friends up to get in on the action and share the wealth, some asshole with his friends waits with you for a bit then jumps in on it while you're waiting for your buddies.

Reknoc

Thanks for catching it (I play in French, so I got confused and didn't realize my mistake). I edited it.

I actually forgot what the class was, I saw conjurer and thought "no, that's not right its uh.............." took me a while before I got it.

Mairu

I have a feeling they will do that.

Hotfix: Fixed issue where players would receive rewards from non-marked Hunt targets. Players now only receive rewards from marked targets on the GC hunt board once mark bills have been collected.

I don't even understand the point of the GC hunt board targets with the current implementation. You'll gain seals faster just traveling an area searching for B/A/S hunts with a group than you would if you spent the time to scour the zones for the lesser targets/wait for the specific FATEs to pop that you need.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Well, oils in the case of CT but still... people can basically grind out one sand or oil a day and that really makes the lock out on CT and coil for those look like a joke.

orion434

Oh man you're just straight up crazy. Mad props to you.

For desynth, do you still think it's better to get 3 classes to ~100 or get 4 to ~80 - 70. Seems like getting to 100 is a mad grind and since failing only costs shards and crystals, maybe having 4 competent classes rather than 3 at full might be a better trade off. I haven't started the whole desynth thing yet, too busy trying to complete the new content.

I have Goldsmith @ dlv 85.11 and if I try to desynth an ilv 90 piece of gear the success rate is 40%, if I can penta-meld a crafted gear it will raise it to 65%... that's just scary. So I'd say definitely 3 classes to 100.

BadRNG

Except it's the people being complained about that are being greedy. These mobs spawn maybe once an hour, sometimes longer than that, and unless you have a massive group/LS scouting 24/7 the average person will not see them very often. So people decided to share the wealth, they made LS or announced to their FC where a mark was and waited. Established a time to pull to make it more fair and not be waiting forever. Then an idiot comes and ruins it for everyone by pulling as soon as he (or his friends) gets there, which just pisses off everyone else and creates the current situation.

It is truly sad how quickly the actual selfish players ruined this. For the first half of the patch day all I did was hunts, I got into a hunting LS early in the morning and I had a lot of fun doing it with people across the server. Literally one of the first times I've ever seen such a large amount of people on the server working together as a community. People actually respected the pull time and there was no drama. As the day progressed more and more people got involved and it all went to hell. Now no one wants to even announce where mobs are because they are afraid they will lose credit, there is constant finger pointing over who did what to whom, and in general it's really soured me on what was becoming one of my favorite additions to the patch.

I don't really give a damn about welfare sands or whatever BS I've seen some people complain about, and I think implementing a hunt seal cap completely misses what is currently broken with the system. The fact that it actually punishes doing what the actual system was designed to do, and fails to meet up with the goal Yoshida himself talked about just a week ago.

Which reminds me, I know a lot of players have been concerned this will be like back in the day, where one player or party would claim an enemy, and lock everyone else out from getting a reward. You'll be happy to know that the Hunt was not designed with any such claiming system in mind. In fact, some of the elite marks are so powerful, it would be in your best interest to shout for help before trying to lay a hand on them. I've also heard the more elusive elite marks drop rare items as well. These rare items are distributed on a player-by-player basis, so don't hesitate to reach for a helping hand.
So band together with your fellow adventurers, and seek out the most dangerous enemies the realm has to offer.
That is from his last letter from the producer when he talked about how hunts work. Unfortunately the actual implemnation has proven to be the exact opposite of what he seems to have envisioned, as it punishes working together with "your fellow adventurers" and groups claiming and enemy is a real issue.

I choose the race that starts with an H? Looks the most human. Born on the 9th month, and choose the 9th month deity. Class is marauder.

Not possible, you get some stat points you can assign while leveling but those can be reset later on. As a MRD I'd go full STR till 50 then switch to VIT.

Nohar

I was wondering: is the GAF FC cool, fun, drama-free and rather social (almost all of you are on Ultros, right?) ? I know that no FC is perfect, but I came to realise that hardcore FCs weren't for me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was wondering: is the GAF FC cool, fun, drama-free and rather social (almost all of you are on Ultros, right?) ? I know that no FC is perfect, but I came to realise that hardcore FCs weren't for me.
Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| We Know Drama

Kidding aside. GAF is mostly pretty laid back, it's much more a group of people who happen to play the same game and go to the same forum rather than a guild dedicated to something like PvE, PvP, whatever.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

GAF is huge.
I'm sure you'll find a group to fit in with.

We have a few hardcores and the majority seem a bit more casual.
We have the occasional drama, but a lot of those people left to NA or other FCs anyway.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Or you find it first, you call your friends up to get in on the action and share the wealth, some asshole with his friends waits with you for a bit then jumps in on it while you're waiting for your buddies.

If you and another person find it at the same time and his buddies arrive before your buddies, that really isn't their fault for killing it and moving on. That was their purpose.

This strange attitude is hilarious. People aren't beholden to wait for you and your party. The Hunt is co-opetition in full effect. It's XIV's version of the XI NM system man. Sure, everyone can get a crack at it in the end, but its party vs. party out there right now. Bitching about it isn't going to change anything. All its going to do is make SE nerf it, rub the players' nose in it and tell them "This is because you can't have nice things."

My goodness. A little competition out there in the wild and people can't handle it. It's crazy how SE throws in something a little casual (which the Hunt totally is) and people turn it into some hardcore stupidity.

That is from his last letter from the producer when he talked about how hunts work. Unfortunately the actual implemnation has proven to be the exact opposite of what he seems to have envisioned, as it punishes working together with "your fellow adventurers" and groups claiming and enemy is a real issue.

I don't think Yoshida meant "Band together with 1,000 of your fellow adventurers to completely zerg the fuck out of this shit like animals."

No matter how much they tune these mobs, when 500+ people zerg it, it doesn't matter. People will still bitch.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Well, oils in the case of CT but still... people can basically grind out one sand or oil a day and that really makes the lock out on CT and coil for those look like a joke.

Look at it from the position of people that are more casual than we are. It's still a solid day of work that's nothing but hunts and even then you have to be a part of an active and informed group, and hopefully drop by a couple S marks like this morning.

iammeiam

I feel like they could solve a substantial chunk of the inter-group hunt drama by either having some kind of actual indicator a few minutes before the mob appears, or giving it a few minutes of invincibility before allowing players to engage (have it spawn at random point a and travel to random point B before becoming attackable, maybe). Basically build in travel time, and everyone has a shot to show up.

Or just actually go all-in on competition and let people/parties claim and get sole credit. It wouldn't encourage cooperation, but I'd guess there'd be a little less tension if claiming first had an actual game function. The weird hybrid it is right now is just odd.

Plus add scaling health; the couple of hunts I did do early patch day just weren't fun because they were over too soon.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Look at it from the position of people that are more casual than we are. It's still a solid day of work that's nothing but hunts and even then you have to be a part of an active and informed group, and hopefully drop by a couple S marks like this morning.

Ultimately leagues easier than coil and even a dungeon like CT.

IMBored

No, we have drama, and that's good because she tends the garden. As for the rest, even if we have some hcore people in there they, and the rest of FC, don't act like most hardcore people.

Tabris

But the hunts aren't designed to be a competition thing. It's to be a FC, LS, and community thing.

What we personally do is wait for all parties to arrive before engaging so everyone gets full credit. The key is to party up, so you only have to tag it once or twice to get full credit (on B rank) and a couple times for A rank. That's one issue people have, is they go full out on the hunts when in a party when they only need to hit it with 1-3 moves.

When everyone is there, we were trying to call out time in shout but always some jerk that pulls early. Especially when the S rank hunts start disappearing on the screen.

Actually to be fair, maybe that person doesn't know what eorzea time is?

Reknoc

It's a cool guild.

A couple of bad eggs if you play during euro times though

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The problem with Hunts is that there's always the risk of someone coming in with their group to ruin your day. This will lead to a lot of conflict, not only between you and other FCs, but also within an FC because "you didn't wait for me" followed by "well other people were going to engage".

Waiting for people to arrive for hunts is a self-sabotaging act of kindness. This is not what a co-op experience should be. In this Hunt credit arms race, people will eventually just do Hunts as soon as possible to avoid the possibility of having it "stolen". When the best choice is to be as selfish as possible, well, I don't see that as good multiplayer design at all, competitive or not. As a player waiting at a Hunt, you have the choice of initiating the fight at any time just by engaging it, because everyone is so wary of each other killing it "prematurely" they'll rush to kill it as well. That's a pretty sad state of affairs when no one can trust each other, not even people within the same party.

It would be different if it was a clear cut case of group vs group, but in its current form, it turns groups against themselves, based on who was faster to arrive on the scene.

BadRNG

Did you even read the other part of the quote? It wasn't SUPPOSED to be a competitive thing, group vs. groups. This is the entire issue.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Did you even read the other part of the quote? It wasn't SUPPOSED to be a competitive thing, group vs. groups. This is the entire issue.

You really didn't think a form of competition wouldn't be involved in a NM system? If you think it's not supposed to have some element of competition to it, it DEFINITELY isn't supposed to be a form of all out zerg either.

aceface

How long until "pay me 200k gil or I pull this mob"

Once Square starts getting abuse reports for people pulling elite marks they will probably nerf hunts just like they did for Dark devices back in the day.

Again my main issue is I could happily ignore all of this but I'm also trying to do second coil and they just happened to hide some of the best gear behind hunts. Dat ilevel 110 stuff :(

creid

Waiting for people to arrive for hunts is a self-sabotaging act of kindness.
I'll agree with you for B ranks (which I don't think are worth getting up in arms about,) but otherwise not necessarily. If your full party finds an S rank mark, and wait/shout until several more groups show up, you're still going to get full credit. If you don't wait, you're just screwing later groups with no benefit to yourself (aside from the 2 minutes of your life).

Tabris

I personally think they should add the following to balance it:

1) Increase HP
2) Add an Allied Seals Weekly Limit (450?)
3) Lessen Myth earned from Hunts where DR is still worth more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom