• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I personally think they should add the following to balance it:

1) Increase HP
2) Add an Allied Seals Weekly Limit (450?)
3) Lessen Myth earned from Hunts

One of the main advertising points was that you can do them "on your own time" as much as you want. So that's probably not happening.

Zalasta

Look at it from the position of people that are more casual than we are. It's still a solid day of work that's nothing but hunts and even then you have to be a part of an active and informed group, and hopefully drop by a couple S marks like this morning.

Totally not the same at all. Not when you compare the time invested vs. the reward obtained. You don't even need to learn any mechanics of the hunt fight as long as you throw enough people at it. Right now there's no reason to even spend hours learning and wiping in coil for sands/oils. No wonder there is so much drama involved because it is such an easy way so everyone is trying to take advantage of it as quickly and as often as they can. People will always abuse the path of the least resistance, this is just another form of speed run.

Tabris

That's a pretty sad state of affairs when no one can trust each other, not even people within the same party.

I don't think this is the case. I think FC members wait for others, or at least we do. It's the random mixture of people via Hunting LS' where this comes up.

It is truly sad how quickly the actual selfish players ruined this. For the first half of the patch day all I did was hunts, I got into a hunting LS early in the morning and I had a lot of fun doing it with people across the server. Literally one of the first times I've ever seen such a large amount of people on the server working together as a community. People actually respected the pull time and there was no drama. As the day progressed more and more people got involved and it all went to hell. Now no one wants to even announce where mobs are because they are afraid they will lose credit, there is constant finger pointing over who did what to whom, and in general it's really soured me on what was becoming one of my favorite additions to the patch.

I ended up staying up until late last night which is killing me at work today, but after most of the server population had gone to sleep, farming the Hunts became mostly orderly in the wee hours. People called out pops, they gathered in a zerg, someone called out the pull time in shout, and at the called out in game time everyone melted the mark. It was so nice chasing the hunts at night, people were all so courteous and respectful. I should really only Hunt after midnight until the Sun rises over the weekend because God knows it will be a clusterfuck during the day if it's not already nerfed tonight.

alstein

Question: is there a way to pay for this game using your credit that doesn't set up an automatic renewal?

I'm wary of automatic renewals in general- been burned a couple of times before. I couldn't find an option on Square's page.

iammeiam

I personally think they should add the following to balance it:

1) Increase HP
2) Add an Allied Seals Weekly Limit (450?)
3) Lessen Myth earned from Hunts

I'd rather they leave myth where it is and just drop soldiery as a reward for hunts altogether.

Not a huge fan of weekly capping the marks, but I more or less accept the inevitability of it.

Nohar

Question: is there a way to pay for this game using your credit that doesn't set up an automatic renewal?

I'm wary of automatic renewals in general- been burned a couple of times before. I couldn't find an option on Square's page.

Automatic renewal is activated by default each time you subscribe. You can still cancel the automatic renewal afterwards. Did it a couple times.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
See, right now was an example of how being nice kind of screwed me. I found Yuouko while just out on my beastmen dailies. I'm not out on a hunt. I'm doing dailies. I was nice, called it out, a zerg came through and I ended up with 1 seal and 2 myth. Really? I found the damn thing, I sat there for a good 3 minutes, and end up with nothing. Plus, I'm not "hunting" at the time. So, I be nice, play the little unwritten rule game, and I don't get full rewards.

So because I'm not out on "the hunt" and I stumble upon one, I get screwed. Waste of my time right there.

Next time? It's dead.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Totally not the same at all. Not when you compare the time invested vs. the reward obtained. You don't even need to learn any mechanics of the hunt fight as long as you throw enough people at it. Right now there's no reason to even spend hours learning and wiping in coil for sands/oils. No wonder there is so much drama involved because it is such an easy way so everyone is trying to take advantage of it as quickly and as often as they can. People will always abuse the path of the least resistance, this is just another form of speed run.

That's why it's a catchup patch. Were people this mad when Twintania got nerfed down to the dinosaur bones?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is this trolling or just crow eating? I can't tell.

But yeah, this is what Hunts are at their core, and it's going to get worse and worse until SE does something about it since everyone will eventually become bitter and cynical veterans of the Hunt Wars.

See, right now was an example of how being nice kind of screwed me. I found Yuouko while just out on my beastmen dailies. I'm not out on a hunt. I'm doing dailies. I was nice, called it out, a zerg came through and I ended up with 1 seal and 2 myth. Really? I found the damn thing, I sat there for a good 3 minutes, and end up with nothing. Plus, I'm not "hunting" at the time. So, I be nice, play the little unwritten rule game, and I don't get full rewards.

So because I'm not out on "the hunt" and I stumble upon one, I get screwed. Waste of my time right there.

Next time? It's dead.

A little related to this. How do you know if a mark is B, A or S rank if you just stumble upon it? It hasn't happened for me yet obviously, but I'd like to know to see how to proceed.

aceface

That's why it's a catchup patch. Were people this mad when Twintania got nerfed down to the dinosaur bones?

The issue is the thing they introduced to help people catch up is a poorly thought out zergfest that has the server at each other's throats.

Kintaro

A little related to this. How do you know if a mark is B, A or S rank if you just stumble upon it? It hasn't happened for me yet obviously, but I'd like to know to see how to proceed.

Talk to the Hunter-Scholars of the zone. They have them listed.

The issue is the thing they introduced to help people catch up is a poorly thought out zergfest that has the server at each other's throats.

Its zergfest because people have organized it and made it as such.

Basically, people are just begging for SE to say "fuck it" and turn The Hunt into more FATEs. Because all of the suggestions are basically that. For a community that it tired of FATEs...they want more FATEs.

Haly

I remember someone in FC said their name has a little icon that shows their rank?

Can't confirm, having only seen a few hunts over the last few days, most of them vanishing instantly before my eyes.

(Still have yet to find a Hunt Scholar either.)

Frumix

Suffering From Success

I think they honestly didn't think this through. Just like they didn't really think Echo through and just slap it on every hard fight now.

Zalasta

Because again, it's apple and pear. Regardless how nerfed Twintania was, you still need to clear T5 to move on and to farm the drops, which means you have to learn the mechanics of the encounter. Right now, any player can get their hands on sands/oils and thus i110 items without having even stepped into coil (one or two). They can completely bypass the so called endgame encounters by simply farming hunts (and to a lesser extent CT2). So no, your comparison is not remotely the same. We all know contents will get easier, but this is a little too much.

iammeiam

If they're going to stealth patch stuff tonight, it'd be nice if they could adjust the loot tables for the new dungeons. Moar vanity gear, less random crafting mats pls.

Kandinsky

Do these hunt NMs give cool gear or is it just for completion sake that people are 'fighting' over claims?, why the 'wait for the ls to get here to claim' thing?, does it give a cool title or something?, I'm lost lol.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Because again, it's apple and pear. Regardless how nerfed Twintania was, you still need to clear T5 to move on and to farm the drops, which means you have to learn the mechanics of the encounter. Right now, any player can get their hands on sands/oils and thus i110 items without having even stepped into coil (one or two). They can completely bypass the so called endgame encounters by simply farming hunts (and to a lesser extent CT2). So no, your comparison is not remotely the same. We all know contents will get easier, but this is a little too much.

They want people to feel that they keep progressing and you know only a small part of the community does Coil, let alone does it successfully.

Haly

Do these hunt NMs give cool gear or is it just for completion sake that people are 'fighting' over claims?, why the 'wait for the ls to get here to claim' thing?, does it give a cool title or something?, I'm lost lol.

They give Allied Seals, the new currency tied to ilvl 100/110 gear, Myth, lots of it, and Soldieries, lots of it, compared to other sources of Myth/Soldier.

At the moment, grinding Hunts is just far more profitable (provided you have a good group for it), than doing any other content.

Zomba13

Finally got 500+ Commendations and got me my lovely shiny obnoxious golden magitek armour. :D

Shame it doesn't have the emotes the regular one has (which seems very lame considering both legacy and sylph goobbues have sneezes).

iammeiam

I wasn't playing at the time so it's entirely possible I'm missing something obvious, but aren't myth gear and coil 1 gear on iLevel parity at 90? So you were able to get i90 without ever touching Coil back when first Coil was relevant? Or did that not get patched in until coil 2?

BadRNG

Technically they could do that before as well with myth gear, remember coil and tome were same level except for weapon. If anything this is return to status quo of sorts, except you gotta grind out a bunch of sands/oil along with the tome grind.

Kandinsky

They give Allied Seals, the new currency tied to ilvl 100/110 gear, Myth, lots of it, and Soldieries, lots of it, compared to other sources of Myth/Soldier.

At the moment, grinding Hunts is just far more profitable (provided you have a good group for it), than doing any other content.

So is it limited?, like does the NM give a pool of Allied Seals that you have to lot to get or everyone get the same amount of stuff depending how good/bad they did in the battle? (like FATES'exp)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The problem with Hunts is that there's always the risk of someone coming in with their group to ruin your day. This will lead to a lot of conflict, not only between you and other FCs, but also within an FC because "you didn't wait for me" followed by "well other people were going to engage".

Waiting for people to arrive for hunts is a self-sabotaging act of kindness. This is not what a co-op experience should be. In this Hunt credit arms race, people will eventually just do Hunts as soon as possible to avoid the possibility of having it "stolen". When the best choice is to be as selfish as possible, well, I don't see that as good multiplayer design at all, competitive or not. As a player waiting at a Hunt, you have the choice of initiating the fight at any time just by engaging it, because everyone is so wary of each other killing it "prematurely" they'll rush to kill it as well. That's a pretty sad state of affairs when no one can trust each other, not even people within the same party.

It would be different if it was a clear cut case of group vs group, but in its current form, it turns groups against themselves, based on who was faster to arrive on the scene.
Is this really happening? I'm not really noticing any groups I've joined jump the gun before the full group is there and if someone else comes in and starts blasting away the mark before the full party is there it's silly to get mad at them for not waiting considering how fast these things die.

Tabris

I wasn't playing at the time so it's entirely possible I'm missing something obvious, but aren't myth gear and coil 1 gear on iLevel parity at 90? So you were able to get i90 without ever touching Coil back when first Coil was relevant? Or did that not get patched in until coil 2?

Myth had a weekly lockout though, same as soldiery. That's why allied seals need a weekly lockout. And remove random logs from dropping.

Haly

So is it limited?, like does the NM give a pool of Allied Seals that you have to lot to get or everyone get the same amount of stuff depending how good/bad they did in the battle? (like FATES'exp)

It uses the FATE contribution system, and because of how fast some NMs die, its in your best interest to hit it as many times as possible.
Is this really happening? I'm not really noticing any groups I've joined jump the gun before the full group is there and if someone else comes in and starts blasting away the mark before the full party is there it's silly to get mad at them for not waiting considering how fast these things die.

Bit of an exaggeration on my part but I've seen a little inter-FC bitterness over Hunts during the first day.

IMBored

Exactly like fates, three ranks of rewards you can get, and if you are in a party what a member does counts for the whole party.

iammeiam

Myth had a weekly lockout though, same as soldiery. That's why allied seals need a weekly lockout. And remove random logs from dropping.

Soldiery is already serving as a lockout, though, so I don't see why marks need to be a second one. Myth was a single lockout for Coil 1 parity, it seems silly to require a second one for Coil 2 parity just because dirty casuals getting their grubby paws all over high iLevel.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Technically they could do that before as well with myth gear, remember coil and tome were same level except for weapon. If anything this is return to status quo of sorts, except you gotta grind out a bunch of sands/oil along with the tome grind.

Yeah but they admitted that was a mistake.

Kintaro

No no. Everyone in the game must know the unwritten rule established on day one. Come on!

Zalasta

And back then Myth is capped. Furthermore, you can't get the same gear without doing Coil 1. You can get equivalent ilevel equipments, but they may or may not be BIS.

Regardless, if you read my posts again, I am not advocating that you can't get the same stuff through other means, but rather I am advocating for a more regulated method, however casual it is. Instead of the current implementation where there is no limit. You can't tell me that there isn't something unsettling about a brand new 50 player can get their hands on i110 item just hours after the patch.

Clipse

If they're going to stealth patch stuff tonight, it'd be nice if they could adjust the loot tables for the new dungeons. Moar vanity gear, less random crafting mats pls.
What they should do is move the crafting mats to the coffers throughout the dungeons. Do people even need X-Potions/Ethers?

iammeiam

And back then Myth is capped. Furthermore, you can't get the same gear without doing Coil 1. You can get equivalent ilevel equipments, but they may or may not be BIS.

Regardless, if you read my posts again, I am not advocating that you can't get the same stuff through other means, but rather I am advocating for a more regulated method, however casual it is. Instead of the current implementation where there is no limit. You can't tell me that there isn't something unsettling about a brand new 50 player can get their hands on i110 item just hours after the patch.

They can't, though. You need the i100 soldiery gear for the hunt stuff to matter, and soldiery remains capped. The only thing they could grind out in a couple of hours would be a piece of jewelry (that's it for the week for gear), and a weapon if they got lucky with CT2 drops. And the sold stuff isn't universal BiS. The bard stuff kind of sucks, it just beats what I have now in most slots.

It's just that a lot of casuals have been capping sold and buying gear, so they have a lot of stuff ready to be bumped to 110.

Tabris

They can't, though. You need the i100 soldiery gear for the hunt stuff to matter, and soldiery remains capped. The only thing they could grind out in a couple of hours would be a piece of jewelry (that's it for the week for gear), and a weapon if they got lucky with CT2 drops. And the sold stuff isn't universal BiS. The bard stuff kind of sucks, it just beats what I have now in most slots.

It's just that a lot of casuals have been capping sold and buying gear, so they have a lot of stuff ready to be bumped to 110.

Weapon requires 1300 soldiery btw.

iammeiam

Weapon requires 1300 soldiery btw.

Knew that but forgot (I've been sitting on sold for a couple weeks because of it.) Also there's the iLevel requirement so a fresh 50 couldn't even get in to CT2. So mayyyybe a fresh 50 can grind out an accessory at i110. That's about it for their first week, though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Save for questionable implementation I'm not sure how Hunts are being abused. It sounds like some people are being dicks about it for sure, but beyond that, unless this "people are using parsers to find Hunts" is true (no clue if it is or not) someone getting to a Hunt faster or not waiting for people doesn't sound like any sort of abuse/exploitation of the game.

Haly

It's not really abuse, but more that it's creating needless toxicity between communities.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's not really abuse, but more that it's creating needless toxicity between communities.
That's what it sounds like. Just making sure I'm understanding the problem correctly since I haven't done any hunts yet.

supergiz

I have Goldsmith @ dlv 85.11 and if I try to desynth an ilv 90 piece of gear the success rate is 40%, if I can penta-meld a crafted gear it will raise it to 65%... that's just scary. So I'd say definitely 3 classes to 100.

How are you raising desynth post 80 without spending 10+ million Gil? I'm at about 80 now carpenter and only things that skill up .02 is ilvl 70 stuff. That would take 250 successful ilvl70 desynths to get from 80-85

MechaX

But man yea hunts have really overshadowed the other content by a huge margin

That is what I hate the most about the way the Hunt system was implemented; as more people start to figure out how Hunts work, the less of an incentive there is to do anything else. Given SE's efforts to have dungeons become more relevant over the last couple of patches, there is absolutely no excuse why people should be shunning new dungeons on the third day of a patch to do hunts (which can give far better rewards in a far less amount of time).

In terms of Coil, while I do not have any problem at all with there being alternatives to getting stuff like Sands/Oils/etc, the team pretty much said "you can do these hunts for items that, while not an absolute cake-walk and a fair amount of time, will get you the high level equipment you have been gunning for, or you can get a static and practice on Coil raids for weeks for a shot of getting the items that you need while under weekly lockout." Sure, folks probably won't skip Coil or the Dungeons outright, but the incentive/overshadowing is so disproportionate right now that it's depressing.

Hell, when I heard "Hunts," I was thinking of FFXII-type hunts with unique-ish enemies that are much more difficult than your FATE mook boss, not something that can and will be zerged in 20 seconds.

Jayhawk

How are you raising desynth post 80 without spending 10+ million Gil? I'm at about 80 now carpenter and only things that skill up .02 is ilvl 70 stuff. That would take 250 successful ilvl70 desynths to get from 80-85

Grind dungeons for i70 gear to desynthesize or PvP marks for i70 gear to desynthesize.

orion434

ilv 70 gear gives .015 to .25 now at dlv 85 it's more like .10

You know all that junk Darklight accessories in Brayflox HM... I've been converting all of it, no one wants it. lol

Also I desynthesized the same Rose Gold Bracelets 8x, it kept converting to the Rose Gold Ingot... then in the end it turned into a Battlecraft Demimateria III :)

For every Materia you attach to an item it raises the desynthesis success rate by 5%

Zalasta

Does it really matter how many items? Even just one is more than enough.

But regardless how one gets soldier pieces. Let's just talk about how oil is obtained. Before the patch it's only dropped in Turn 2 and 4, but for most groups it's just the former since not many have cleared the latter. That's one oil per week, then you have to roll against 7 other people. Compare to the current implementation, the rate of ease is at a ridiculous rate.

Even so, it's a good thing to all players because everyone benefits. So conceptually it's not a bad idea. However, without any kind of regulation, they are allowing people to obtain il110 gears at a faster rate than ever. Not to mention it causes unnecessary drama and animosity to the hunt system, while at the same time trivializing the other systems (as people have mentioned, less and less people participate in DR in favor of the easier grind). It's a mistake if they don't fix this somehow.

EDIT: I see it as an abuse because I don't think this is the intended result. So people are abusing it to their advantage until it's fixed.

WolvenOne

At a glance, given that the bonuses's for Daily/Weekly hunts are so pitiful, it's hard to imagine that the developers foresaw so many people grinding out hunts so quickly. They SHOULD have seen it, given the rewards, but alas...

..Anyhow, I don't really mind the developers adding in alternative means to acquire Sands and Oils, in fact it struck me as largely inevitable that they would when 2.2 hit. However, it also seems to me that they've inadvertently opened the flood gates just a little TOO wide.

Again, a weekly cap on allied seals would probably be the smart move here. Additionally, i'd consider raising the price of sands and oils, while lowering the price of everything else. So that people still had plenty of options for what to do with a weeks worth of Seals, but, had to hold onto them for say, 3-4 weeks in order to get a Sands.

iammeiam

Even so, it's a good thing to all players because everyone benefits. So conceptually it's not a bad idea. However, without any kind of regulation, they are allowing people to obtain il110 gears at a faster rate than ever. Not to mention it causes unnecessary drama and animosity to the hunt system, while at the same time trivializing the other systems (as people have mentioned, less and less people participate in DR in favor of the easier grind). It's a mistake if they don't fix this somehow.

EDIT: I see it as an abuse because I don't think this is the intended result. So people are abusing it to their advantage until it's fixed.

I'd argue that easier access to oils/sands and making i110 gear accessible to people who don't run coil is pretty clearly intentional in the patch. The reward balances are certainly more generous than I was expecting, but that's more because my expectations for upgrades are low due to the relic weapon quest than that freer sands/oils being right/wrong. It was kind of bizarre to lock two separate sets of i110 gear behind the exact same content in the first place, but made sense as a way to mitigate RNG holding Coil groups back.

The question really is how easy sands/oils are supposed to be at this point; I don't think massive groups of people farming marks was something SE predicted, but with the way things were structured it does seem like they intended people who were really dedicated to be able to grind this stuff out.

Maybe they mispriced the items by a factor of 10. Maybe they underestimated the general hunger for higher iLevel. And the hunt system itself is a giant cluster because they didn't predict reaction. I'd like to see soldiery removed from hunt drops to force people to do other stuff for sold. But I'm still not convinced oils/sands need their own lockout, independent of the one that exists for soldiery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom