• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

HM Primals in DF are so weird now--so many new players with bare-minimum iLevels, so much having to pay attention to everything because half the party could topple over dead at any moment. Bard LB3 was actually useful once! Still getting more myth than I know what to do with.

I failed to do any hunting tonight, but it turns out I lack the drive to do more than half assedly try try to find a group in FC chat. Running around aimlessly waiting for somebody to find something to Zerg and hoping to get there in time to get a few swings in just makes me feel like I should be doing something else with my time.

Well I'm installing my new Segate 1TB SSHD on my ps4 so I can have more storage and faster load times(Not that the normal hdd was slow on the ps4 running this game). Suck they don't have a back up everything to external HDD like the ps3 did.

alstein

Yeah I felt bad during the Garuda fight I did for the first time I think two days ago- I died three or four times due to stupidity.

I knew I was letting folks down. I hate sucking.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Finished 2.3 story campaign.Not bad. Spoilers ahead.

I like that everything is setting up Revenant's Toll to be the big, main city state going forward. However, I dislike that every other city state is so hopelessly inept in every way possible. A Sultana who can do nothing, an Admiral who is responsible for many of the problems we dealt with, and a hippy horned child who has no magic and listens to elementals who are worthless. Sad part is? All three are women. It's kind of making them look pretty bad. All three are terrible and this young punk kid is schooling them. Which is even worse because he is an idiot too.

Dangling Omega Weapon out there and the story just ignoring is hilarious IMO. The plot point is just dropped for the past 3 patches. The characters know the man behind it, know what he is doing, and...welp, time to fuck around!

All that said, I did like a lot of the cool little lore things we did throughout. I dig that. That's what made this enjoyable. Also, Ramuh was pretty cool. Finally get to parley with a Primal.

Finally, I don't think we're going to Ishgard. Shit will just happen around it. I'm not looking forward to it. That zone, those people and everything about it all completely suck.

iammeiam

Yeah I felt bad during the Garuda fight I did for the first time I think two days ago- I died three or four times due to stupidity.

I knew I was letting folks down. I hate sucking.

Opinions will obviously vary, but unless the party is repeatedly wiping because of you and you're making the same mistakes every time, dying due to first-timer errors is perfectly acceptable. Everyone was new once, everyone made stupid mistakes once (or more than once...), and being appropriately geared for the content vs overgeared is going to make you a lot more fragile. It's entirely possible, in Garuda, for the entire party to screw up and stand too close to the stones/not hop on the plumes fast enough, damaging the pillars too much, and lead to Garuda's big attack one-shotting anyone with lower HP pools. And then the post-res debuff just makes you weaker. Having to account for things like that can actually make a fight more involving, so it's not the worst thing.

So I doubt you were letting anyone down--you gotta learn sometime, and learning can be painful. And embarrassing. If you think you really did horribly you can always try to build a party willing to let you run it a couple of times, until you feel comfortable. Or chain run the fight in DF, where people can be jerks but you never have to see them again, so who cares?

WolvenOne

63/75 of my Bravura Novus, so flipping close.

Shame the glow is actually better on the Animus. <_<;;

In related news, it's finally my turn to get my Soldiery weapon next week.... for my Dragoon. <_<;;

All 3 of the new dungeons are pretty fun but Hullbreaker seems the best so far. Kinda wish we got to explore that abandoned pirate ship, seems like a better battleground against the very underwhelming Kraken.

Hasney

I need to re-do Hullbreaker. Joined an in progress one just before the final boss, died 4 times on it but they carried me to victory and then I got the bard legs. It was embarrassingly fruitful.

Ken

63/75 of my Bravura Novus, so flipping close.

Shame the glow is actually better on the Animus. <_<;;

In related news, it's finally my turn to get my Soldiery weapon next week.... for my Dragoon. <_<;;

At this point I'd just make your static farm Ramuh for you.

WolvenOne

The last boss is, strange, but not really difficult. You just have to know when to jump to another platform and when not. A lot of new groups seem to panic and jump to a new platform at the drop of a hat, but give it a few weeks and most people are going to have it figured out.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Jp patch notes are out - either I'm blind or there's nothing about hunts, just the frontlines queue change and hotfixes.

WolvenOne

At this point I'd just make your static farm Ramuh for you.

The Ramuh spear isn't very good, and I have all the Soldiery Tank gear that's really worth having. So I might as well use my Soldiery Tomes towards the weapon, especially since it'll help with T8 a bit.

Full Context: The Ramuh Spear is Accuracy/Skillspeed, so the only time it'd be more desirable than the liberator is if you were ever painfully accuracy starved.

Hasney

Jp patch notes are out - either I'm blind or there's nothing about hunts, just the frontlines queue change and hotfixes.

That's all that was planned when they started it. If they're planning to change hunts, they probably didn't have enough time to sort it out.

Not sure why anyone expected a fix for hunts so soon after the patch came out. The frontlines fix I can guarantee they had already been working on it beforehand and knew queues would be a major issue, so to keep people interested so frontlines doesn't turn into wolves den 2.0, they decided to push the major fix out as soon as possible.

Hunts on the other hand I highly doubt they thought it would lead to entire servers being far more toxic than they've ever been, any change they could think of would have to be started from scratch most likely and will take time to implement. Would bandaids for some of the smaller issues be too much to ask for at this point? not really, but when it comes to major changes to make things less toxic, it will not be something they can do in a night.

WolvenOne

That's all that was planned when they started it. If they're planning to change hunts, they probably didn't have enough time to sort it out.

Exactly, they talked about changing PVP queues within hours of the patch going live, and it still took them a few days to pull it off. The issues with Hunts are both a bit more debatable, and a bit more difficult to fix. My guess is that Hunts will be heavily reworked at some point, if we see a short term fix they'd be more along the lines of Log Book Drop rates, and NM HP. Even the HP's a bit hard to nail down, really, since the size of the horde can vary quite wildly. Unless they can figure out a way to adjust the HP, on the Fly, to scale with the number of players in a Zone before anyone deals any damage, then you'll never find a static level of HP that'll be appropriate for every occasion.

I mean, upping HP by 25% would be relatively safe, but wouldn't make B's last much longer when big groups swoop in, and anymore would probably make them too much for small groups to handle.

Reknoc

Exactly, they talked about changing PVP queues within hours of the patch going live, and it still took them a few days to pull it off. The issues with Hunts are both a bit more debatable, and a bit more difficult to fix. My guess is that Hunts will be heavily reworked at some point, if we see a short term fix they'd be more along the lines of Log Book Drop rates, and NM HP. Even the HP's a bit hard to nail down, really, since the size of the horde can vary quite wildly. Unless they can figure out a way to adjust the HP, on the Fly, to scale with the number of players in a Zone before anyone deals any damage, then you'll never find a static level of HP that'll be appropriate for every occasion.

I mean, upping HP by 25% would be relatively safe, but wouldn't make B's last much longer when big groups swoop in, and anymore would probably make them too much for small groups to handle.

except, don't fates already have scaling health? No reason that cannot be implemented for hunts as well.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm just reporting here!
Didn't expect anything myself, but since some people did, I thought it's a good idea to mention it.

WolvenOne

except, don't fates already have scaling health? No reason that cannot be implemented for hunts as well.

The Fate scaling system wouldn't carry over very well I'm afraid. That system works by counting up the number of people that participated in previous Fates in the zone, and scales accordingly.

The problem with that of course being

A: the gap between NM spawns in a given zone can be quite lengthy, and the number of people doing hunts can change drastically in that time.

B: For all the huge hordes that will swamp a B, there's probably anywhere from two to three times the number of B's being taken down by small parties, that aren't announcing, or FC's that're keeping their info relatively secret.

So basically, the number of people participating in an NM fight in any given Zone, isn't going to work very well a scaling metric. It works for Fates because Fates are predictable, are used for Leveling, so players mostly stick to Fates in a given Zone before moving on. NM Hunts are an entirely different ballgame.

Reknoc

The Fate scaling system wouldn't carry over very well I'm afraid. That system works by counting up the number of people that participated in previous Fates in the zone, and scales accordingly.

A: the gap between NM spawns in a given zone can be quite lengthy, and the number of people doing hunts can change drastically in that time.

B: For all the huge hordes that will swamp a B, there's probably anywhere from two to three times the number of B's being taken down by small parties, that aren't announcing, or FC's that're keeping their info relatively secret.

So basically, the number of people participating in an NM fight in any given Zone, isn't going to work very well a scaling metric. It works for Fates because Fates are predictable, are used for Leveling, so players mostly stick to Fates in a given Zone before moving on. NM Hunts are an entirely different ballgame.

Then I feel this shows an inherent problem with the scaling as a whole then. FATEs already have an "area of effect" so scaling should really be based on people who are in that area.

WolvenOne

Then I feel this shows an inherent problem with the scaling as a whole then. FATEs already have an "area of effect" so scaling should really be based on people who are in that area.

The Fate scaling works relatively well, all things considered. The same sort of scaling would work with NMs as well, but it'd have to measure participation across every Zone, since Zone hopping is basically the norm for Hunts.

While I'm not an expert, I'd think just measuring the number of players in the Zone before the pull would be easier then that. That's not to say that it'd be easy, at the very least it'd create a moment of lag between when the NM was pulled and when it's health showed.

That's of course assuming that sort of scaling is possible at all, seeing as until pulled you'd have a Mob flying around a zone with ???????? HP. I could see that potentially creating problems with their servers.

Reknoc

The Fate scaling works relatively well, all things considered. The same sort of scaling would work with NMs as well, but it'd have to measure participation across every Zone, since Zone hopping is basically the norm for Hunts.

While I'm not an expert, I'd think just measuring the number of players in the Zone before the pull would be easier then that. That's not to say that it'd be easy, at the very least it'd create a moment of lag between when the NM was pulled and when it's health showed.

That's of course assuming that sort of scaling is possible at all, seeing as until pulled you'd have a Mob flying around a zone with ???????? HP. I could see that potentially creating problems with their servers.

Well it'd still have a base health, suitable for a small party I guess, then rise as more participants arrive. The problem with it being based on people in the zone is that not everyone in the zone might be interested in the hunts, if they're too low leveled on their new character etc. Though that could just be a very minor problem all told.

elyetis

Just make it that the NM can't loose more than 0.x% of life per seconde.

IMBored

In FATES, for example boss fates, they can't do scaling by the number of people participating because that changes, when the fate starts no one's there and the boss can't have his HP changing during the battle itself.

Hunts are different, I don't know how much of the problem is how they where designed or how the community decided to farm them. Same as ExDR, when they allowed parties to join, people where exiting until they rolled the dungeon they wanted, thus making it not DR but more "do bray and get the bonus", so they had to change how that worked.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Maybe hunts could receive a limited time buff each time they're killed. It'd keep things challenging in peak hours or for the most popular targets, while leaving things feasible for people playing out of peak or searching solo.

If hunts are not being nerfed, then I'm going to farm them non-stop until I have upgraded every i100 piece I have to i110 and then I'm going to hoard more Sands of Time for future i100 pieces I get on alts.

Ken

The Ramuh spear isn't very good, and I have all the Soldiery Tank gear that's really worth having. So I might as well use my Soldiery Tomes towards the weapon, especially since it'll help with T8 a bit.

Full Context: The Ramuh Spear is Accuracy/Skillspeed, so the only time it'd be more desirable than the liberator is if you were ever painfully accuracy starved.

The 1300 could be better spent on soldiery armor for your Dragoon; it's kind of a no-brainer that 2 i100 armor pieces plus Thunderbolt is better than an unweathered Liberator alone. Don't forget to grab a i100 DRG piece from CT2 too. I mean, my argument is basically for you to go grab free i100 gear the game is handing out to you so?!

And the only time 20 DET/40 SS is more desirable than 40 ACC/28 SS is when you're already pushing DRG as a class maximally or close to.

If hunts are not being nerfed, then I'm going to farm them non-stop until I have upgraded every i100 piece I have to i110 and then I'm going to hoard more Sands of Time for future i100 pieces I get on alts.

Illy pls.

IMBored

So basically you are going to do what everyone else is doing?

#Wellfare2.3

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
And the only time 20 DET/40 SS is more desirable than 40 ACC/28 SS is when you're already pushing DRG as a class maximally or close to.
The higher the DET the bigger numbers on full thrust crits, which is the only reason people play DRG; checkmate.

orion434

Inching closer to a first new Primary Tool, I have 5x Fieldcraft Demimateria III & 2x Mastercraft Demimateria. I also made an HQ Augmented Wolfram Cuirass :)

The Market Board exploded, I'm actually out gathering Noble Grapes! lol Prior to 2.3 sometimes Gold Ore / Darksteel Ore would go above 300 gil each... Crawler Cocoons in a blue moon. I'm not spending 400 on friggin' Grapes!

Out of everything I made pre-2.3 I think I made the most off HQ Spruce Lumber... they are still selling for > 6K each.

The Market Board should have a "Sold Out" sign on it,

When it comes to Hunts, why do we have to wait for half the server to show? I can see waiting for a few souls to show up so you can do a S rank but anything else, that is just overkill.

When it comes to Hunts, why do we have to wait for half the server to show? I can see waiting for a few souls to show up so you can do a S rank but anything else, that is just overkill.

So that others will wait for us. As many people as we have doing them it doesn't compare to the number of groups other guilds have. When we work together and don't rush things you can end up with more in the long run.

IvorB

This may not be a popular viewpoint but I really think if you have not been issued the bill for the hunt you should not be able to get full reward. That just makes sense to me. Maybe you can get something, but no the full bounty.

So that others will wait for us. As many people as we have doing them it doesn't compare to the number of groups other guilds have. When we work together and don't rush things you can end up with more in the long run.

Except these hunts, outside of perhaps the Elite/S marks aren't meant for hundreds of players to zerg, which often leaves people with very little for their efforts, if they were able to even blink before it melted...

Lanrutcon

This may not be a popular viewpoint but I really think if you have not been issued the bill for the hunt you should not be able to get full reward. That just makes sense to me. Maybe you can get something, but no the full bounty.

Then people would grief others by killing their marks. Oh, and it would mean that almost no-one would ever get any rewards at all. You'd effectively kill the entire Hunt concept. It would take months and months to secure the hunt vanity gear, which means no-one would bother with it.

Then people would grief others by killing their marks. Oh, and it would mean that almost no-one would ever get any rewards at all. You'd effectively kill the entire Hunt concept. It would take months and months to secure the hunt vanity gear, which means no-one would bother with it.

Not if they made it like Level Sync on FATEs where you can't attack mobs you don't have the bill for, which is my suggestion.

Lanrutcon

Not if they made it like Level Sync on FATEs where you can't attack mobs you don't have the bill for, which is my suggestion.

That might work, but they'd have to increase the spawn rate. If you get a bill for an S rank you'd be fucked unless it spawns multiple times a day.

That could work.

IMBored

Is there really a solution for hunts? Nerf the rewards and people will stop doing them, leave them like this and zerging is the norm.

Maybe they should have pull timers. When a mark appeared it was a 5 m timer before it can be pulled and a 1 m timer during which it can be pulled. That would encourage exploration and sharing, and they could calculate the HP of the hunts for how name lv50 near it at pull time, when it becomes targetable.

IvorB

That might work, but they'd have to increase the spawn rate. If you get a bill for an S rank you'd be fucked unless it spawns multiple times a day.

That could work.

Yeah something like that could work. But I feel like they just have to stop this general server-wide free-for-all that's happening now. I don't think that's in the spirit of the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom