• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

So is Frontlines working now? Feel like giving it a shot when I get home after I finish Tam Tara for the last of the new content (Bar Ramuh XTREEEEEEEEMMMEEEE).

IMBored

An issue wherein the “Desynthesize” action may cause the server to crash

This actually happened? With so many people power leveling desynth a issue like that would be very noticeable, probably only 1 out of 100 Million changes of happening. Either way, I blame gizu.

Just fought Odin for the first time, I was there for the whole fight and didn't die but I only got a bronze. I guess you have to be in a party to get gold? The only one on party finder had an ilvl90 requirement so I couldn't join it.
I want that chocobo barding.

draw4wild

Honestly guys, whether they change anything or not, I'm sure it'll calm down soon. It's only so busy because it is shiny and new.

People keep saying this but I just don't agree. Everyone who didn't do coil but maxed soldiery every week (which I'm betting is a decent %of players) this is the only progression path for them right now. That's like saying people would stop doing second coil after a few weeks because it wasn't shiny and new anymore

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dengeki Interview said:
――Now, let's talk about the Hunt. Is this something that you do as a daily content once a day?

No, the daily part is actually just a bonus for those who want to collect their allied seals little by little. The basic concept of the Hunt itself is for players to go out int the field to find Elite Marks. And the idea is for players to exchange information on where, when, and how Elite Marks appears and defeat them together.

――Elite Marks will aggro players who approach nearby, is that a deliberate design?

Yes. Having said that, since some of them do appear in low-level zones, we have made their detection zone quite small. So we might have a Lalafell with starting gear running into this incredible monster in the field, only to see a huge mob of high level players run up and engage it in battle... but wiping against it or something (laugh).

――So are there Elite Marks that are strong enough to wipe even experienced adventurers?

S rank marks are quite tough, so please challenge them only after you have recruited enough people through Shouts.

――The rewards that can be traded for allied seals include sand and oil of time, so this opens up new ways for people to upgrade their Gerolt (Soldiery) gear outside of the Second Coil.

As item level increases, so do the difficulty of the accompanying contents, and those who can clear them will be able to move ahead. However, as new patches are implemented, we want to introduce new and different ways to progress ahead, and it forms the basic progression design philosophy for FFXIV. This is different from the games we've had in Japan up to this point, so I like to use opportunities like this to let people know that they don't need to rush.

Seems to me that The Hunt is working as intended. It's up to the players if they want to turn something casual into something hardcore, and they have. Then complain about it. Zerg away!

Honestly guys, whether they change anything or not, I'm sure it'll calm down soon. It's only so busy because it is shiny and new.

People keep saying this but I just don't agree. Everyone who didn't do coil but maxed soldiery every week (which I'm betting is a decent %of players) this is the only progression path for them right now. That's like saying people would stop doing second coil after a few weeks because it wasn't shiny and new anymore

This is currently the most efficient way to cap tomes, get sand, and increase your gear level. Why bother doing anything else? For a game where you can play multiple jobs on a single character, you can bet that people aren't going to stop once they finish gearing one job. They'll keep doing this as long as it makes sense to.

SE will definitely respond to the negative feedback. I doubt we will see anything in this patch but I wouldn't be surprised to see this addressed or at least acknowledged as a problem prior to 2.35.

edgefusion

Maaan, hunts really are srs bsns. Participated in my first few yesterday, made a joke in shout about GAF pulling (nobody had) and was immediately jumped on by multiple people in shout, LS chat and tells and got called a dick for it. When someone from the GAF LS ended up *actually* pulling it early though it was nbd, nobody said a word. After that experience I would just ignore the whole thing but it's all but essential if you want to gear up fast. It's not nice to feel unfairly set upon, get verbally abused and singled-out but it seems that's the path these hunts are taking: shut up and DPS or get yelled at over video game money.

IvorB

Man, the Hunt Wars are no joke. When I finally qualify to do the hunts I'm not announcing to anybody but the FC should I find something and I would hope I could count on their absolute discretion. People can cuss me out and call me a d*ck all day long. I don't care. I'm not announcing marks to randoms.

iammeiam

I honestly do wonder about the overlap between the most Serious Bizness hunters and the players who were already running coil 2. How much of the zergfest is actual casuals and how much is the hardcore who had already run out of things to do besides coil anyway?

Maybe it's secretly all intentional, and this is the attempted solution to some of the toxicity in DF. If DF isn't the most efficient tome piñata around, the people demanding constant speed runs and quitting to avoid dealing with new players will stay out?

aceface

This is currently the most efficient way to cap tomes, get sand, and increase your gear level. Why bother doing anything else? For a game where you can play multiple jobs on a single character, you can bet that people aren't going to stop once they finish gearing one job. They'll keep doing this as long as it makes sense to.

SE will definitely respond to the negative feedback. I doubt we will see anything in this patch but I wouldn't be surprised to see this addressed or at least acknowledged as a problem prior to 2.35.

Right, did FATE Grinding die down? Did Brayflox speed runs die down? Not until SE introduced a better means of progression.

Nohar

Well, it is quite sad to read that an idea which was quite interesting devolved into the situation you currently know. I wonder if they will somehow address the problem.

Kintaro

I honestly do wonder about the overlap between the most Serious Bizness hunters and the players who were already running coil 2. How much of the zergfest is actual casuals and how much is the hardcore who had already run out of things to do besides coil anyway?

Willing to bet its 80/20 hardcore to casual players. I'm willing to bet that the recent, stupid behavior has completely put off casuals from even bothering. I can be pretty hardcore, but I don't think I'm going to bother with this feature that much. People have turned into animals. It's disgusting. The majority of people just minding their business who happen upon things get blasted on for not following some unwritten bullshit they don't and shouldn't have to care about. It's XI all over again in many ways on a much bigger scale.

If I'm just out on my dailies and I happen upon a Mark I can take, I'm killing it and moving on with my daily. Got a problem with that? Tough shit.

Reknoc

Man, the Hunt Wars are no joke. When I finally qualify to do the hunts I'm not announcing to anybody but the FC should I find something and I would hope I could count on their absolute discretion. People can cuss me out and call me a d*ck all day long. I don't care. I'm not announcing marks to randoms.

same. Though I guess I wouldn't care if someone in the FC wanted to shout it, but I'm not doing it myself and I would welcome their hate.

The problem is that telling others is to your detriment. I had a situation last night that I found one B rank and told the FC. If I didn't tell anyone, I would have gotten 5 seals. Instead I announced it and got 1 seal. What makes anyone want to give up 4 seals? That's the problem with the way the system is right now.

I know I'm new to endgame but I'm not new to math and 5 will always beat 1 when you are trying to get more.

Reknoc

I feel like opening up CT2 was a bit quicker than it needed to be, on one hand i'm glad I don't have to dick around with fates but on the other I feel like it could have done a bit more pre-opening.

Like, it seems there should have been a bit more time between the two characters introducing themselves and sting telling us who they really are.

Maaan, hunts really are srs bsns. Participated in my first few yesterday, made a joke in shout about GAF pulling (nobody had) and was immediately jumped on by multiple people in shout, LS chat and tells and got called a dick for it. When someone from the GAF LS ended up *actually* pulling it early though it was nbd, nobody said a word. After that experience I would just ignore the whole thing but it's all but essential if you want to gear up fast. It's not nice to feel unfairly set upon, get verbally abused and singled-out but it seems that's the path these hunts are taking: shut up and DPS or get yelled at over video game money.

The problem is that gaf is getting a bad rep on the server because of these joke messages, and this creates a real problem with people in gaf trying to do hunts. Not everybody on the map knows you're joking and since hunts are serious business to some people, the trouble you can cause with off the cuff statements like that can have a big effect later.

And it's not just gaf that accidentally pulls early, other fc's/randoms do as well. It's just the nature of trying to coordinate on a server scale.

iammeiam

Willing to bet its 80/20 hardcore to casual players. I'm willing to bet that the recent, stupid behavior has completely put off casuals from even bothering. I can be pretty hardcore, but I don't think I'm going to bother with this feature that much. People have turned into animals. It's disgusting. The majority of people just minding their business who happen upon things get blasted on for not following some unwritten bullshit they don't and shouldn't have to care about. It's XI all over again in many ways on a much bigger scale.

I at one point thought they should have just gone with the competitive option of claim=credit, since the cooperative option became a fairly unpleasant mess rather quickly and at least competitive would get rid of the bullshit rules, but then read about parties apparently intentionally resetting mobs somebody had solo claimed to make sure they got full marks so that would be a fucking nightmare.

I know I'm new to endgame but I'm not new to math and 5 will always beat 1 when you are trying to get more.

The math works if you're in a hunt party or LS, I think, because you get more overall shots at marks to balance out potentially less per-kill (and in a party you'll have an easier time getting credit anyway.) It does not at all work if you're solo and calling out on FC chat, because your call out will make it back to the parties/LS but you won't be getting notifications of their finds. It's maybe the only situation in-game right now where going to your FC for help is a bad idea.

The math works if you're in a hunt party or LS, I think, because you get more overall shots at marks to balance out potentially less per-kill (and in a party you'll have an easier time getting credit anyway.) It does not at all work if you're solo and calling out on FC chat, because your call out will make it back to the parties/LS but you won't be getting notifications of their finds. It's maybe the only situation in-game right now where going to your FC for help is a bad idea.

And I completely agree, and always want to let others know to help them. I don't mind when I lose out on something to help others but when I shouldn't have to lose out and still be able to help others, the system is borked.

Honestly I joined a hunt LS and pretty much do other thinks unless someone in the chat calls it out. I just find it good to do while queuing for something else. I do see a decent amount of players with duty finder symbols under them when we partake in hunts so I'm not the only one who thinks like that

Nohar

To come back or not to come back... That is the question. This topic is slowly but surely eroding my resistance (though I'm certain it would be a mistake for me to play a MMO again). In any case, it is probably best that I wait a little for the dust to settle (with the new update being just released and all), and the free week-end next week.

Also, I kinda want the new classes and jobs to be available already. Always been a fan of the Thief and Ninja.

My Hunt proposal solution:

Put a timer on each spawn and allow everyone that makes it in time to claim a mob for their group.

EX:

Conditions are met and a mob spawns and initiates a 5-15 minute (or whatever) timer. The timer could even scale up or down based on number of players in the vicinity/area/map.

Group A pulls the mob, claims it, and their party enters combat. Once pulled, the group is barred from pulling the same mob for the duration of the timer (to prevent killing the same mob multiple times for multiple rewards). This would be tracked individually to prevent people from dropping party and rejoining another party to try and get another kill. In this event, the system could simply return an error about not meeting the requirements if someone in their party already participated in killing the mark during the duration of the current timer. Mob effects (e.g. attacks, AOEs, etc.) should not impact other players to prevent trolling.

Within seconds (whether the first mob is still active or not), another 'copy' of the mob spawns for another individual or group to pull.

This continues until the overall timer expires.

--

Unfortunately, this might be against the spirit of the community cooperating together to take down big targets. For extremely difficult marks that require more than 8 players, they could just make them special FATEs.

Cmagus

Well having the lockout on Coil 2 certainly doesn't help. I'm sure many more would be doing coil 2 if they could actually get parties to run the thing. It just seems like putting a static together for the end game content is almost nearing impossible at this point. The lockout certainly creates a huge barrier so now you have people who want high gear and grinding out these hunts and what not are the only option.

creid

The problem is that telling others is to your detriment. I had a situation last night that I found one B rank and told the FC. If I didn't tell anyone, I would have gotten 5 seals. Instead I announced it and got 1 seal. What makes anyone want to give up 4 seals? That's the problem with the way the system is right now.
At this point you really need to be in a party to reliably get full credit for a B rank if more than a handful of people show up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well having the lockout on Coil 2 certainly doesn't help. I'm sure many more would be doing coil 2 if they could actually get parties to run the thing. It just seems like putting a static together for the end game content is almost nearing impossible at this point. The lockout certainly creates a huge barrier so now you have people who want high gear and grinding out these hunts and what not are the only option.

I maintain that coil should have gone the CT style lockout route - especially when you consider the amount of repeat drops and lack of drops people get weekly even in statics. I think my group specifically has seen 6 healer chests, 5 pairs of tanks boots, 4 tank belts... etc already. Would have been more worthwhile to allow us to run it endlessly but only have one lot per week.

Nohar

I maintain that coil should have gone the CT style lockout route - especially when you consider the amount of repeat drops and lack of drops people get weekly even in statics. I think my group specifically has seen 6 healer chests, 5 pairs of tanks boots, 4 tank belts... etc already. Would have been more worthwhile to allow us to run it endlessly but only have one lot per week.

And that's why I absolutly loathe these kind of lockout... I don't like the one on CT either, but at least you can run it multiple times with friends and eventually get something. Coil is just too frustrating for everyone involved.

iammeiam

Well...put a high level item in there unrestricted and of course people are going to be after it like animals.

I'm starting to think they expected S-ranks to be like Behemoth or Odin, where people flip out and form parties ASAP when they pop, but nobody runs around in a state of constant readiness. They misread the population badly here.

I feel like the hunts granting sands/oils were probably meant as a soft nerf for Coil 2--let people start out gearing it to encourage them to try now. Those people can form groups and gain confidence and maybe be ready for third coil in 2.4, when they'll also echo and nerf 2nd Coil into trivialness.

It's not really a bad overall idea--have the off-patches boost people so they're at a point where they can at least try the new endgame when it eventually drops--but they certainly botched the transition here.

(Of course, I'm still sitting in T5 so most of this is just idle speculation on my part. But I find the design philosophies behind the game interesting to speculate about.)

Tbh, I think my main problem is the same as the og fates/carries. People gear up to end game content now with doing hunts and have no idea how to play the class effectively and second coil is going to show them that even having these sands/oils aren't going to save them. Like I understand helping out the casuals yoshi, but how this gonna really help them with those coil mechanics/learn their class

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tbh, I think my main problem is the same as the og fates/carries. People gear up to end game content now with doing hunts and have no idea how to play the class effectively and second coil is going to show them that even having these sands/oils aren't going to save them. Like I understand helping out the casuals yoshi, but how this gonna really help them with those coil mechanics/learn their class

It... doesn't? You literally just go up to a mob and spam shit as fast as you can before it dies completely.

dramatis

I heard you died a lot

iammeiam

Which is why I still think hunts shouldn't drop soldiery. Make sold require running dungeons or primals where knowing your job will be at least slightly relevant, then have hunts give you oils/sands for a little added boost to make DPS checks slightly easier/let you eat a little extra damage in T6+.

Tam Tara HM and Stone Vigil HM are both very fun. TT in particular has a very busy end boss and it is quite exciting for a dungeon boss. Also it's creepy shit.

Kintaro

I'm starting to think they expected S-ranks to be like Behemoth or Odin, where people flip out and form parties ASAP when they pop, but nobody runs around in a state of constant readiness. They misread the population badly here.

They consistently underestimate the community's ability to take the easiest route possible while acting like dicks about it.

Meanwhile: I've only got Hilde and the new dungeons left to do to clear my quest log. I'm currently on the Animus stage of Zodiac, but not sure I want to spend the myth on it yet or just get myself up to i90 with the remaining myth I have first. Really feeling the urge to lvl some other stuff instead.

Inching closer to a first new Primary Tool, I have 5x Fieldcraft Demimateria III & 2x Mastercraft Demimateria. I also made an HQ Augmented Wolfram Cuirass :)

The Market Board exploded, I'm actually out gathering Noble Grapes! lol Prior to 2.3 sometimes Gold Ore / Darksteel Ore would go above 300 gil each... Crawler Cocoons in a blue moon. I'm not spending 400 on friggin' Grapes!

Out of everything I made pre-2.3 I think I made the most off HQ Spruce Lumber... they are still selling for > 6K each.

The Market Board should have a "Sold Out" sign on it,

The market is really weird. I've made a LOT of money with a simple HQ item I bought around 80 pieces for a little over 100 each of the MB. I've been selling packs of 3 for 2000 each everyday with both retainers for ages as no one else seems to have it. Then yesterday someone else put up like 60 pieces for around 150. Just minutes before I had sold my 3 units, so I was getting ready to put them again and I noticed the new offer. I quickly bought them all and resumed my strategy. It kept selling almost immediately. In 2 sales I've already made a profit. It's insane.

The GC crafting materials are through the roof as well. Good thing I saved them. Have to recoup my investment in a room in the FC.

I'm going the replenish and also sell wind shards route during evo

The market on wind shards totally crashed. From 200 they were down to around 85 on Ultros. Still more than the ~75 before the patch, but a lot less exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom