• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Honestly, this is how I thought it would be. Each week you would get an Elite Mark in your Journal as a quest, you form a party, you go to the area designated, initiate the quest, and kill it. Only people in your current party can attack your mark, so you don't have to worry about anyone claiming it before you.

I know people wouldn't be able to farm endless Allied Seals this way, since the game would only technically allow you to spawn one Elite Mark per week, but maybe they could have it so that if you complete the quest for five Regular Marks, you would gain access to another quest for an Elite Mark? As it stands, very few people [if any] do the quests for Standard Marks, since their payout is so low and likely isn't worth their time traveling the distances to kill it.

This is what I thought it was going to be; like FFXII. You have to accept the bill from the Hunt Board, go to the required location and then your mob will be instanced in, like a leve, and if you wanted people to help you could do that. Not roaming monsters that can be zerged by half the server in a minute, or being able to exploit with a program.

It wasn;t until after I accepted the bill from the hunt board and talked with others that I realized that taking a bill simply means I'll get a bonus should I find the mob/actually be able to get a hit on it before I'm swarmed and my computer blows up.

Then those would be capped for the week; one elite bill a week to find an elite mob and then five for rank B and A. The way it worked in FFXII was perfect. You accept the bills for the elite marks, and then you have those 80 random rare monsters that will spawn under certain conditions.

you keep pulling the same "why do you care" card. that's a cheap way to dismiss bad game design. if you can play the game as a co-op game in a bubble in your favorite 4-8 man group 24/7, that's fantastic. however, that's very unrealistic for pretty much everyone.

fact is, SE is breeding bad players with their fate/hunt system and everyone has to suffer for it. on top of that, they have succeeded in bringing out the worst in people. i believe people are right to ask for higher quality content.

Ahahahaha wow

If you don't like this game's design then quit. Good luck finding an MMO which meets your lofty expectations.

This game is actually one of the better designed MMOs of the post-WoW era which is why people are going to look at stuff like ESO and Wildstar and coming back.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ahahahaha wow

If don't like this game's design then quit. Good luck finding an MMO which meets your lofty expectations.

This game is actually one of the better designed MMOs of the post-WoW era which is why people are going to look at stuff like ESO and Wildstar and coming back.

Lofty expectations? Come on dude, he has valid points.

Ahahahaha wow

If don't like this game's design then quit. Good luck finding an MMO which meets your lofty expectations.

wtf man, don't be so condescending. you're totally lost in your mindless grinding or what?

Wilsongt

Yoshi is sloooooowly learning to make content a bit more interesting and less tank and spank. If you want to run speed runs to farm myth, you are more than welcome to queue up for Bray or WP with friends or not even run a dungeon at all if you are tired of them. It isn't like Myth and Sol isn't falling from the heavens with all of the other content.

However, CT2 was a step in the right direction with more laid back content that can still be a little challenging if not prepared. You have interesting mechanics that can damage you if you don't pay attention, but aren't frustrating to learn and are far more interesting than killing skeletons, getting to your platform, and deciding if you are taking BD in the center or north (Correct Answer: Center).

draw4wild

I don't get why they have fates like Goregemera that no one will touch then. He is the perfect design for an S rank hunt. Why they couldn't design 20 goregmeras/steorpes for the S ranks is beyond me

Sophia

We just had a Marauder try to convince us that chasing after and killing the enemy was as important, if not more so, than holding bases in Frontlines.

When it was all said and done, they had a score of 6-4. They gave nearly as many points to the Maelstrom that they earned us. :\

Valor

We just had a Marauder try to convince us that chasing after and killing the enemy was as important, if not more so, than holding bases in Frontlines.

When it was all said and done, they had a score of 6-4. They gave nearly as many points to the Maelstorm that they earned us. :\

Till Sea Swallows All

But seriously, that sounds pretty rough. At least the queues for Frontlines are hopefully better after the patch.

Sophia

The queues are pretty good now. Haven't had an issue getting a game. I even capped weekly soldiery off it.

We actually won that game, despite their stupidity. Holding down three bases works wonders, especially when the other two factions fight each other.

Isaccard

I know you're being sarcastic, but you are essentially proving a vital point and showing exactly what is wrong with the hunts in general.

That was a serious post. That particular fate is tough shit for even small groups. Would have been ironic if I were being sarcastic though :p

Wazzy

Banned
Hm. So my launcher is no longer working and I don't know why. It was working most of yesterday but then I tried to log on around 9pm and I encountered an error.

Deleted Norton(it happened when I installed it) and FF XIV then reinstalled XIV but it's still not working.

aceface

The queues are pretty good now. Haven't had an issue getting a game. I even capped weekly soldiery off it.

We actually won that game, despite their stupidity. Holding down three bases works wonders, especially when the other two factions fight each other.

My first front lines I had no idea what I was doing, my team got smacked around and lost horribly so it was over in 15 minutes and I still got 25 soldiery and something like 50 myth (can't remember exactly). What do you get if you win?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Damn Hunts really are fracturing the community

People at each others throat, the trolling, the hatred

All that frustration of starved content release and when given in a broken format SE just doesn't give a fuck

The same fucking company who came up with the Atma > Animus > Novus grind to curtail it's player-base has now flip-flopped the other way and created a way where shits to easy and content that was made to last for months, now even weeks can't cover and days are the new standard

I haven't played for a month now, joined FC mumble dude was boasting they got 2 sands in one day from Hunt grinding, I'm like damn, they made that thing so fucking easy
SE really needs to get consistent with their content

Sophia

My first front lines I had no idea what I was doing, my team got smacked around and lost horribly so it was over in 15 minutes and I still got 25 soldiery and something like 50 myth (can't remember exactly). What do you get if you win?

PvP XP and Wolf Marks. :p

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So what is healing at 50 like?

Once again I've felt confident in my abilities until a primal crushed my hopes and dreams. Just finished Garuda NM and much like Titan, I just felt like I was screwing up left and right and was barely holding on to keeping people alive. I've felt fine in every dungeon through Dezemal Darkhold so far, but yeah.

Zomba13

This is what I thought it was going to be; like FFXII. You have to accept the bill from the Hunt Board, go to the required location and then your mob will be instanced in, like a leve, and if you wanted people to help you could do that. Not roaming monsters that can be zerged by half the server in a minute, or being able to exploit with a program.

It wasn;t until after I accepted the bill from the hunt board and talked with others that I realized that taking a bill simply means I'll get a bonus should I find the mob/actually be able to get a hit on it before I'm swarmed and my computer blows up.

Then those would be capped for the week; one elite bill a week to find an elite mob and then five for rank B and A. The way it worked in FFXII was perfect. You accept the bills for the elite marks, and then you have those 80 random rare monsters that will spawn under certain conditions.

Yeah. I was expecting a FFXII type thing but more MMOish. Get a bill from the hunt board, find the location out there in the wilds, initiate mark, return with some kind of proof of kill item, get seals depending on rank with B's being solo able, A's being a duo/trio type dealy but soloable if you have a choco out and are decent enough and S ranks needing a party and being tougher fights but giving the best rewards. Could even make them the weekly ones and need a full party. Like a new sub boss every week.

Ken

So what is healing at 50 like?

Once again I've felt confident in my abilities until a primal crushed my hopes and dreams. Just finished Garuda NM and much like Titan, I just felt like I was screwing up left and right and was barely holding on to keeping people alive. I've felt fine in every dungeon through Dezemal Darkhold so far, but yeah.

In raids? I feel like if you want to be a good healer you need to have very good awareness and timing of boss moves/overall raid damage so you can throw out well-timed and appropriate mitigation/recovery.

I lack both those things so I never want to heal. > >

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Another thing that boggles me with the hunts is why they weren't set up more live leves. In those, when you activate them, only people in your group can attack the monsters that spawn. Would it have been so hard to either have the hunts function similarly where people actually do have to get a quest, find hints to where the monster could be like tracks or something, then activate the hunt, thereby locking out people not involved with it? There's just so much wrong with the things.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
In raids? I feel like if you want to be a good healer you need to have very good awareness and timing of boss moves/overall raid damage so you can throw out well-timed and appropriate mitigation/recovery.

I lack both those things so I never want to heal. > >

I like healing, but yeah.

Starting to feel like WHM will be my "roulette class" for quick queues/healer-in-need gil, and to focus on a dps job. Thinking Bard or Monk. I did BLM and DRG back on my old toon on Ultros, and while I find SMN quite fun, I dont want to have to deal with pet management in a raid, especially with XIV's less than stellar pet management.

suzu

Hm. So my launcher is no longer working and I don't know why. It was working most of yesterday but then I tried to log on around 9pm and I encountered an error.

Deleted Norton(it happened when I installed it) and FF XIV then reinstalled XIV but it's still not working.

What's the error?

Ken

I like healing, but yeah.

Starting to feel like WHM will be my "roulette class" for quick queues/healer-in-need gil, and to focus on a dps job. Thinking Bard or Monk. I did BLM and DRG back on my old toon on Ultros, and while I find summer quite fun, I dont want to have to deal with pet management in a raid, especially with XIV's less than stellar pet management.

Well, the thing about progression raiding is that you'll learn those timings just over time so maybe healing isn't so bad?! I haven't done any progression raiding as a healer though so maybe it's not as bad as I purport it to be.

Teknoman

Speedrunning anything sucks imo. Im all about shortcuts, but ive never liked blitzing through everything, even in 1.0 when people would just rush the hell out of darkhold.

But then again im more of a dungeon sightseeing kinda guy. I do wish they were a little more in depth with things like weight puzzles or hidden levers.

Teknoman

Yeah. I was expecting a FFXII type thing but more MMOish. Get a bill from the hunt board, find the location out there in the wilds, initiate mark, return with some kind of proof of kill item, get seals depending on rank with B's being solo able, A's being a duo/trio type dealy but soloable if you have a choco out and are decent enough and S ranks needing a party and being tougher fights but giving the best rewards. Could even make them the weekly ones and need a full party. Like a new sub boss every week.

Another thing that boggles me with the hunts is why they weren't set up more live leves. In those, when you activate them, only people in your group can attack the monsters that spawn. Would it have been so hard to either have the hunts function similarly where people actually do have to get a quest, find hints to where the monster could be like tracks or something, then activate the hunt, thereby locking out people not involved with it? There's just so much wrong with the things.

I really wish they were like this.

Mature

I think more importantly they need to stop "slapping" content in just because people want it (see: PvP) or to check off some MMO handbook. Hunts is just another example of that - specifically because people wanted FFXI style content.

If you want FFXI... go play that game.
Huh. I never considered PVP to be a sort of "checked box" situation. Yoshi-P always seemed pretty passionate about PVP specifically since it's the thing he enjoyed most in MMOs himself. I know I've enjoyed PVP, and Frontlines are my favorite addition in the update.

Teknoman

Watch out, <GAF> is here again to steal our hunt mobs!

Someone had me on auto follow for a good 15 minutes and I had no idea. Was out hunting with Magnus, then someone shouted about a GAF free ride. I turn around and some lady is following me in a magitek walker.

suzu

Unable to complete version check

You can try this (from the SE forum):

go to C:\Users\''yourusername''\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn\

open up FFXIV_BOOT.cfg in word pad or notepad.

you should see this

<FINAL FANTASY XIV Boot Config File>

<Version>
Version 2
Language 1
Region 2
EulaAgreement 1
StartupCompleted 1
B4EulaAgreement 1
BootVersionCheckMode 0
ConfigReset 0

the line in bold is the key, change the 0 to a 1 and it forces it to check version upon opening the launcher. Save the file, close any FFXIV application and try again.

Hasney

Someone had me on auto follow for a good 15 minutes and I had no idea. Was out hunting with Magnus, then someone shouted about a GAF free ride. I turn around and some lady is following me in a magitek walker.

Ahahaha. Were they frozen like "if I don't move, they can't see me" or did they cheese it?

Hasney

Which is so stupid cause there's so much other fun stuff to do(even though I like hunts). I just did Frontlines for the first time and I see myself getting hooked on it. Dat music though I need it in my soul

I also did my first front lines today and despite really disliking regular PVP, it was really good. Think I'll dabble in it now and again, but get some other maps in there and it could sink its hooks in.

Hunts shouldn't drop soldiery on top of seals and myth. Maybe let them drop myth and seals but no more soldiery. Give people an incentive to run dungeons again, since they undermined their own efforts to do so.

And please, enough with these bloody chests full of x-ethers and such

I also did my first front lines today and despite really disliking regular PVP, it was really good. Think I'll dabble in it now and again, but get some other maps in there and it could sink its hooks in.

That's 100% percent how I feel. Please make more maps

Hasney

Hunts shouldn't drop soldiery on top of seals and myth. Maybe let them drop myth and seals but no more soldiery. Give people an incentive to run dungeons again, since they undermined their own efforts to do so.

And please, enough with these bloody chests full of x-ethers and such

I dunno. They wanted people to play PVP and soldiery is really going to help and I have noticed DPS queues shorter than ever. Agree with the x ether and crafting bullshit chests though.

I dunno. They wanted people to play PVP and soldiery is really going to help and I have noticed DPS queues shorter than ever. Agree with the x ether and crafting bullshit chests though.

A higher ilevel means jack when the stats on the gear are so poor. Playing BRD? Have an extra order of skill speed with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom